Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Son of Songs Doug Shouldn't Play
Son of Songs Doug Shouldn't Play
Suicide is Painless by Michael Altman (MASH THEME)

Through early morning fog I see visions of the things to be
The pains that are withheld for me I realize and I can see . . .
That suicide is painless it brings on many changes
And I can take or leave it if I please.
I try to find a way to make all our little joys relate
Without that ever-present hate but now I know that its too late,
and . . .That suicide is painless it brings on many changes
The game of life is hard to play. Im gonna lose it anyway.
The losing card Ill someday lay so this is all I have to say.
The only way to win is cheat and lay it down before Im beat,
and to another give my seat for thats the only painless feat.
The sword of time will pierce our skins it doesnt hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in the pain grows stronger . . . watch it grin, but . . .
A brave man once requested me to answer questions that are key
'Is it to be or not to be' and I replied 'oh why ask me?'
And you can do the same thing if you choose

Now at the very least it will stop everyone with intelligence to stop and ponder whether they should die or not, including Doug. Now what would it do to machine intelligence? Shutdown? Self-destruct?
The worst effect is that everyone would commit suicide..including Doug. I'd probably log it as a last resort song..along with a few others.

home.att.net/~tvthemelyrics/mash.htm
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Son of Songs Doug Shouldn't Play
*hums M.A.S.H. Theme*[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Oddly enough, this is already on one of the CDs I play in the car. It's an old favorite, going back to when I played Radar in a high school stage production of "M*A*S*H", back in the middle 70s. (Yes, children, I am old...)

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
you're early-forties.. that ain't old.[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re:Mash
I have to ask..who played Hot Lips?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretta_Swit
Loretta Swit, who also played Cagney, and inspired Miss Piggy
www.imdb.com/name/nm0001419/
Sally Kellerman in the movie, though[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
'Where have all the Flowers Gone'
'Eyes without a Face'
'Highwayman'
'Ghost Riders in the Sky'
From the Camelot musical:
'Fie on Goodness'
'7 Deadly Virtues'

From Chrous Line
'Dance 10, Looks 3'
From Captain Invincible:
'The Bullshit Song'
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Re: Re:Mash
Quote:
I have to ask..who played Hot Lips?
I do believe, Kokuten, he was asking about the casting in the high school play I was in. The young lady was named Debbie Winters, and she would be 43 or so now. In addition to being one of the best actresses we had in the drama club, she bore a surprisingly strong resemblance to Loretta Swit. I kid you not. If I could get at my high school yearbooks (they're packed away in a closet, at the bottom of a stack of other boxes of books), I'd scan the pictures and show you.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
'Where have all the Flowers Gone'...
Oh, I don't know. Some of these might be very useful... I could actually see "Dance 10, Looks 3" as a very off-color attack song, for instance...
And I remember at one time discussing the possibility that "Ghost Riders In The Sky" could summon the Wild Hunt...

-- Bob
---------
What you said...
yup, that's what I was curious about.
Summoning the Wild Hunt?.....summoning the Fae is a bad idea in my opinion...
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: What you said...
And summoning the Wild Hunt is even worse......"There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets""There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets"
If I had to choose between a Demon and a Fae as my traveling companion, I'd choose the Demon.
At least I would KNOW where I stand with him. Anything to do with the Faerie is like walking into Heaven while carrying Stormbringer. You are just asking for loads of trouble.
Moving on to the songs from Cutey Honey:
Burning Up
Cutey Honey's theme(If you ever read the translation....)
From Rayearth:
I'm not sure what 'Mokona's Song' would do for Doug. Mokona singing.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
ditto
What about Menchi's song, y'know, the End theme for Excel Saga?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Menchi
You mean, the one subtitled, "Sorry, But We're Going To Have To Eat You Now"?
Re: Menchi
Actually, it's called "The Bolero of Sorrow -- So You Are Going To Eat Me". It has an established effect -- it makes my wife demand that I shut off the CD player.

-- Bob
---------
I have to agree that Ghost Riders in the Sky should do SOMETHING, it's that good a song - but whether it would be something Doug would actually want to have happen, that's another question. Maybe he could use it to create a distraction for the pilots in the Eva step - it explicitly summons demons, and in Eva it's heaven that's on the antagonist side - then again, just because they're demons doesn't mean they're stupid, the riders might well flee a building sized angel. The question is whether the angel in question would see them as something worth noticing, I guess.
- CD, who has rewritten NGE in the Magic Happy Place inside his head into a cheesy sentai starring the Eva Rangers versus Dark Queen Kellie and her army of Devil's Angels. The name of the show is, naturally, Neo Genesis Shinsekirangaa, which makes no sense but sounds cool, that being a prime requisite of cheesy sentai.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
A Song Doug Definitely shouldn't play
If "Ghost Riders in the Sky" would summon the Wild Hunt..what would playing "Carmina Burana" do?....if you've ever seen the last scene of the movie "Excalibur" when the Knights of the Round Table were summoned for the final battle, that was the background theme.
Doug may summon the knights, then again he could also summon Valkyries.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Carmina Burana
Hmmm. I think you'd need a translation of the Latin lyrics first...
Carmina Burana is supposed to be reinstrumentation of a bunch of old secular songs that had been recorded by a monk during the Dark Ages . . .
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: Carmina Burana
It's definitely not in a language that Doug speaks, so it would have no effect.

-- Bob
---------
Re: re: Carmina Burana
Quote:
It's definitely not in a language that Doug speaks, so it would have no effect.

Correct me if I'm wrong...you wrote of a time when Shadowallker became a half-vampire. Doug and Dwalinor worked on a means of restoring her for about a year. If they take as their start point, any magical texts written in the Middle ages or earlier, both of then would certainly have needed a working knowledge of Latin and Greek and possibly Celtic and Germanic at the minimum for the Western world. Ancient Egytian, Medean, Akkadian and Arabic for the Middle East. Ancient Japanese, Chinese and Korean for the Far East. Even if Dwalinor was the lead researcher for the project, Doug would had needed to become proficient in at least Latin and Greek to double check Dwalinor's work for constructing the spell.
Unless of course Doug erased all knowledge of ancient languages from his memory by some unknown means.
I knew there was a reason why it was bugging me and it took me about a week to figure it out.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Doug isn't a normal magician. Dwalinor is the pure mage expert in the Warriors (from what I gather) also I'm sure the Warriors would at least call on a few friends to help with that situation that would double check Dwalinor's work. Doug just played a song (that I can't recall at the moment). While Doug might know magical theory but knowing only a few words in a language (and ones seldom used at that) doesn't make someone literate and able to understand that language. From what I've gathered about Warrior's World a good portion of those magic texts have been translated into English or a more widely used language.

Shawn Earl
Quote:
Doug and Dwalinor worked on a means of restoring her for about a year. If they take as their start point, any magical texts written in the Middle ages or earlier, both of then would certainly have needed a working knowledge of Latin and Greek and possibly Celtic and Germanic at the minimum for the Western world. Ancient Egytian, Medean, Akkadian and Arabic for the Middle East.
Um, no. Dwimanor did all that research and spell design. Doug's participation in the devamping consisted of holding Shadowwalker in the center of Stonehenge and playing Kansas' "Hopelessly Human".
As for Doug's knowledge of magical theory, none of that required the comprehension of any ancient languages, any more than learning calculus requires you to learn German just because Leibniz spoke and wrote in it.

-- Bob
---------