Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wishful thinking
Wishful thinking
Have you ever considered "When you wish upon a star" from Pinoccio?
-----------
Writer: Leigh Harline; Lyrics: Ned Washington
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires will come to you
If your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star as dreamers do
(Fate is kind, she brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of their secret longing)
Like a bolt out of the blue, fate steps in and sees you through
When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true
-----------
It does have potential ... though it's probably too powerful to use, really. Unless it fulfills wishes unorthodox kind of ways tus making wishing dangerous at times -- 'take me home' could take Doug to any place he called home once, for instance.
-- Cal
Re: Wishful thinking
Quote:
Unless it fulfills wishes unorthodox kind of ways thus making wishing dangerous at times
That would probably be what it does -- either the song draws upon a cranky Power that doesn't like being disturbed, or Doug's subconscious does the best it can with what it can get...
Quote:
'take me home' could take Doug to any place he called home once, for instance.
"Homeward Bound" by Simon and Garfunkel already does that (solely within Doug's current universe), so it's not so far-fetched an idea... Maybe this song would rank right up there with his other "wand of wonder" type effects, the stuff that he can start moving but can't really control at all...

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Something like the way the Barely Adequate Force works for metroanime's sorta-SI, then?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Wishing upon a star
"If your heart is in your dream/no request is too extreme."
Hmmm. Maybe this puts Doug into a kind of fugue state, and lets him (briefly) interact with his wife? After all, if he were to wish for anything (especially later in the Walk, after spending the equivalent of *years* trying to get home) that's what he'd wish for. And it does seem to suggest that love has to be a driving force behind the wish.
Re: Wishing upon a star
He's already spent years trying to get home at the start of DW2... he's nearly four years out by the time DW2 ends...
That being said, it's a nice idea, but I want to limit his contact with home to the incident with Hexe. At least for the moment.

-- Bob
---------
Of course, it also occurred to me afterward that it also might be the gate song that got Doug home at the end... It would be just the thing too. The very *last* place Doug would look for his ride home would be a Disney ballad...
Bob Wrote:
B> Quote:
B> -------------------------------------------------------
B> Unless it fulfills wishes unorthodox kind of ways thus
B> making wishing dangerous at times
B> ------------------------------------------------------
B>
B> That would probably be what it does -- either the song
B> draws upon a cranky Power that doesn't like being
B> disturbed, or Doug's subconscious does the best it can
B> with what it can get...
Unless Doug's subconscious can't shake the Disney connection. I could see the whole thing creating a simulacrum of Disney World/Land. While the simulacrums of people in Mickey Mouse heads and the audioanimatronic presidents will do their best to fight valiantly, they will, in the end game, prove to be largely ineffective.

Skitz
Audioanimatronic President Squad Go!---------------
Oh crap. I've got Destiny.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Re: Itchy and Scratchy Land
Well remember that Westworld showed us just how bad things can get when theme park robots go bad.
Quote:
Well remember that Westworld showed us just how bad things can get when theme park robots go bad.
(Insert cheap political joke about the second Bush Administration here.)

-- Bob
---------
(Insert Robin Williams routine about Ronald Reagan being a Walt Disney animatronic as the last wish of Walt here.)Brazil has decided you're cute.
"I believe that Ronald Reagan can make this country what it once was -- an arctic wasteland covered with ice." -- Steve Martin

-- Bob
---------
I make the motion that whenever "Dubya" appears, instead of "Hail to the Chief" someone should run the opening to "Howdy Doody."
Buffalo Bob: Hey, Kids! What. Time. Is. It?
Kids: It's Howdy Doody time!!!!!
It's Howdy Doody time!
It's Howdy Doody time!
--Draws a blank on the rest of the lyrics and is too lazy to look them up.--
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

-- Bob
---------
When You Wish Upon...
Bob,
This strikes me as a song that might have a similar effect to one you use in the Eva step, especially with all the talk here about summoning Powers.
Just a thought.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Re: When You Wish Upon...
Hmmmm. Yeah... I can see that. There're some possibilities there I hadn't considered.

-- Bob
---------