Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock and Roll Dreams
Rock and Roll Dreams
I don't know if this song has come up before, but when I heard it with Drunkards Walk still on the back of my mind, it occured to me that this would be the perfect song to describe Doug's power.
Rock and Roll Dreams by Steinman/Meatloaf
You can't run away forever
But there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start
You want to shut out the night
You want to shut down the sun
You want to shut away the pieces of a broken heart
Think of how we'd lay down together
We'd be listening to the radio so loud and so strong
Every golden nugget coming like a gift of the gods
Someone must have blessed us when he gave us those songs
I treasure your love
I never want to lose it
You've been through the fires of hell
And I know you've got the ashes to prove it
I treasure your love
I want to show you how to use it
You've been through a lot of pain in the dirt
and I know you've got the scars to prove it
Remember everything that I told you
And I'm telling you again that it's true
When you're alone and afraid
And you're completely amazed
To find there's nothing anybody can do
Keep on believing
And you'll discover baby
There's always something magic
There's always something new
And when you really really need it the most
That's when rock and roll dreams come through
The beat is your forever
The beat is alway true
And when you really need it the most
That's when rock and roll dreams come through...for you...
Once upon a time was a backbeat
Once upon a time all the chords came to life
And the angels had guitars even before they had wings
If you hold onto a chorus you can get through the night
I treasure your love
I never want to lose it
You've been through the fires of hell
And I know you've got the ashes to prove it
I treasure your love
I want to show you how to use it
You've been through a lot of pain in the dirt
and I know you've got the scars to prove it
Remember everything that I told you
And I'm telling you again that it's true
When you're alone and afraid
You're never alone cause you can put on the phones
And let the drummer tell your heart what to do
Keep on believing
And you'll discover baby
There's always something magic
There's always something new
And when you really really need it the most
That's when rock and roll dreams come through
The beat is your forever
The beat is alway true
And when you really need it the most
That's when rock and roll dreams come through...for you...

What kind of power could this song give?
- Song-database Update for song released after Doug started his Odysse or in places he has never visited.(concentrating on the "something new" and "gave us those songs" parts.)
- Give a oneshot version of Doug's powers to another person (concentrating on the "for you" part.)
- Or (re-)enable Doug to use his powers. If Doug is on a world with low or now magic or his magic is somehow dampend or blocked, this song might be the key. If Megatokyo has a giant mana-node that supercharges his powers other places might have low mana making Doug almost 'normal'. The Song might work be helpful in such a place. (concentrating on the "need it the most" and "always something magic" parts)
Drawbacks for the first and third possibility include the possible invocation of higher powers. They might not always be disposed to bless him with gifts from the gods and it is almost impossible to come out ahead when dealing with gods; even when they give you something for nothing.
On a lighter note the part about the angels having guitars could make for a cute gag in EVA or OMG.
Re: Rock and Roll Dreams
Steinman is always a great choice for Doug. In fact, the Coda at the very end of DW2 is a verse from a Steinman song. (I won't say the title, not because it's a spoiler, but because you'll get the wrong idea -- the title is a little flip compared to the lines I've chosen.)
Quote:
f Megatokyo has a giant mana-node that supercharges his powers other places might have low mana making Doug almost 'normal'.
Actually, there was once a passage -- I think it might have ended up on the cutting room floor -- where Doug notes that his homeworld is a low-mana world, where the mages have evolved to use magic with incredible efficiency. That's why, in fact, he can use the node under the city to boost his songs. It would take a no-mana world to completely shut down his power -- and even then, all his physical mutations would still be functioning, as they are separate from his magegift.
Quote:
On a lighter note the part about the angels having guitars could make for a cute gag in EVA or OMG.
At the moment, there is a line from "Love, Death, and an American Guitar" slated for use in DW5: "It had a heart of chrome, and a voice like a horny angel."
Actually, in retrospect, there are a lot of Steinman songs with angel imagery, and many of them would be appropriate in one way or another for DW5...
As for what the song might do... I like the idea of it letting him loan his power, or clone it, to another person. Alternately, it might be a kind of Limited Wish song... very powerful, but maybe limited to things you could describe with rock lyrics.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:
At the moment, there is a line from "Love, Death, and an American Guitar" slated for use in DW5: "It had a heart of chrome, and a voice like a horny angel."
Jim Steinman likes to reuse phrases if they are still good. The 'horny angel' makes a reaperance in another monuloge: Teenager In Love>
www.jimsteinman.com/PROL3.rm
"Horny angels stalk the streets looking for a little damnation and wearing nothing but the red badge of love."
But this seems more like something that would fit into EVA.
Jim Steinman songs with angel imagery? How about "Im gonna love her for both of us"
"...
I can't stand to see it no more
The way you're living with a goddess but you treat her like a slave..."

Probably not. I think Keichi might take exception to the sentiments expressen in that song.
Quote:
Jim Steinman likes to reuse phrases if they are still good.
Jim Steinman likes to reuse entire songs... More commonly, though, he will lift great big chunks of one song and transplant them into others -- for instance, the lead-in to "Holding Out For A Hero" is exactly the same as that for one of the songs on his own album "Bad for Good" -- unfortunately I'm blanking on the name. Similarly, the title song from that album has a part in the middle where the lyrics go "Godspeed, speed us away", which got recycled into one of the Ellen Aim songs from "Streets of Fire".
Another song of his with angel imagery was a SOTD here not long ago -- "Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young".
The others, well, yeah, there are possibilities there. And since Doug does occasionally rub people the wrong way, it might even be likely he'd quote from "I'm Gonna Love Her For Both of Us".
Oh, and before I forget, I noticed (but have not yet heard) a new Meat Loaf song -- it's almost a foregone conclusion that it's a Steinman composition, but can anyone confirm that for me?
Thanks.

-- Bob
---------
If you mean the Album "Couldn't Have Said It Better", then no it is not a Steinman collaboration. I have heard that it is still supposed to be quite good, though. I am somehow uncertain, if I really want to hear Meatloaf sing "Forever Young". Thankfully the record-label has helped me decide about buying the Album by only relasing it as an 'enhaced'-CD.
If you want to hear a weird reclying of a Steinman song you should hear what he did to "Total eclipse" for his vampire musical (wit german lyrics).
"Total Eclipse" in German? For a vampire musical? Weird...
Do you know if he ever did the "Peter Pan" project he was so hot for some years back?

-- Bob
---------
"Total Eclipse" in German? For a vampire musical? Weird...
That's no the weird part, the fact that it's based on a Roman Polanski movie ain't the weierd part either, the truely weierd part is that the musical was so unsucsesfull, because what I heard of it was actually quite good.
Quote:
Do you know if he ever did the "Peter Pan" project he was so hot for some years back?
The way I understand it his Neverland project, that he has been working on since before he became famous, is sort of the one thing he writes all of his songs for in the first place. Stuff like the two Bat out of Hell albums and all the other hits are just byproducts and recycled bits that were originally intended for Neverland in one way or another. He is supposedly still working on it.
You can get an idea what neverland was supposed to be like here: www.jimsteinman.com/neverlnd.htm
Quite good, huh? I'm not too surprised, honestly. Do you have a link for anything about it? I'm curious now.
And I'll have to check out that link to Neverland at lunch; it's almost start time here at work.
Thanks!

-- Bob
---------

I've never heard "Rock and Roll Dreams", but the lyrics contain too many other things to really represent Doug's Magegift to me. I agree with Ian McLeod (who seems to have dropped off the face of the Net, leaving us hanging on Dead Bang) in assigning that place to "Magic Power":

Somethin's at the edge of your mind, you don't know what it is
Somethin' you were hopin' to find and you're not sure what it is
Then you hear the music and it all comes crystal clear
The music does the talkin' says the things you want to hear

I'm young, I'm wild and I'm free
I got the magic power of the music in me
I'm young, I'm wild and I'm free

She climbs into bed, she pulls the covers overhead and she turns her little radio on
She's has a rotten day so she hopes the DJ's gonna play her favorite song
It makes her feel much better, brings her closer to her dreams
A little magic power makes it better that it seems

She's young now, she's wild now, she wants to be free
She gets the magic power of the music from me
She's young now, she's wild now, she wants to be free
She gets the magic power of the music from me

You're thinkin' it over but you just can't sort it out
Do you want someone to tell you what they think it's all about
Are you the one and only who's sad and lonely, you're reachin' for the top
Well the music keeps you goin' and it's never gonna stop

The world is full of compromise, the infinite red tape
But the music's got the magic, it's your one chance for escape
So turn me on - turn me up - it's your turn to dream
A little magic power makes it better than it seems

I'm young now, I'm wild now and I want to be free
I'm young now, I'm wild and I'm free

I got the power, I got the magic
She's got the power, she's got the magic
You got the power, you got the magic

Ian's still around, but he's been neck-deep in school and running a fairly sprawling play-by-post game; kind of short on time.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

I've got a specific use for "Magic Power" in mind already. If I ever get around to writing that Kaleidostar Steplet, it'll see use there.
-- Bob
---------