Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthem?
Anthem?
dunno if this has shown up or not (and i have no desire to trawl the forum looking) but:

The Star Spangled Banner (US National Anthem) (it's fiction, so Hendrix on guitar and Joplin on vocals... if that's not enough to stir his gift, nothing is) - Doug's position (whatever defensive structure he's attempting to hold) is unassailable for the duration. All incoming projectile weapons will explode harmlessly overhead, all incoming energy attacks will tint the air red and a USA flag will appear on a flagpole right behind him in a dramatic fashion. He has to be on top of his "defensive structure" as everything above that dramatic flag is considered "sky"

yes, this can make attending pretty much any major event without his tuneplug a pain in the ass.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

I like.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

hendrix makes everything better. he could probably have turned /twinkle, twinkle/ into a major rock anthem Smile
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

So what happens when he heard 'Rule Brittania'? Smile

Conjure up some wooden ships and iron men?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

*suffers a image flash of ad&D planescape style aethership manned by preatorean clox*

*brainlock*
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

why would hendrix play 'rule brittania'? Smile

i don't know the song well enough to conjure imagery for it... but i was specifically referencing the time jimi played the national anthem at a football game. the rendition is so popular that you can still find copies of it today. it's a guitar solo, which is why i added joplin on vocals to the mix... it was tough to think of a singer that was both a contemporary of his and has the pipes to keep up Smile
----

As incredibly awesome as Hendrix's version of the National Anthem is, I think this effect would be more suited a version sung by the Armed Forces Academies, accompanied by the US Army Herald Corps Trumpets.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

The very existence of the US Army Herald Corps pleases me greatly.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

ECSNorway Wrote:So what happens when he heard 'Rule Brittania'? Smile
That depends on whether Doug had watched Code Geass first.

Zojojojo Wrote:why would hendrix play 'rule brittania'? Smile
(Looks at copy of "Jimi Hendrix - the BBC Sessions") Gosh, who knows...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Wiredgeek Wrote:The very existence of the US Army Herald Corps pleases me greatly.
Is there also a US Army Companion Corps?
--
Rob Kelk

Remember Green Acres and how every time Mr. Douglas gave a speech about farming being the essence of America, the patriotic music would play -- and the farmers around him could hear it? 
"Colonel Douglas, Happy Fourth of July."
Edit:  by the way, consider what The Internationale might do.  A small army of workers and peasants, gaunt but unstoppable, armed with hammers and sickles (no chains; they lost those)....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

DHBirr Wrote:Edit:  by the way, consider what The Internationale might do.  A small army of workers and peasants, gaunt but unstoppable, armed with hammers and sickles (no chains; they lost those)....
Add in that they tend to stick around until the "Job" is Done.  Doug has an answer when someone taunts him with the phrase "You and what army?".  Such a song would almost certainly leave him drained to the point of collapse ensures that he doesn't use this song very often.

robkelk Wrote:
Wiredgeek Wrote:The very existence of the US Army Herald Corps pleases me greatly.

Is there also a US Army Companion Corps?
Sadly, the Cavalry was disbanded back in 1951, except for the 1st Division.
Ebony the Black Dragon

Which, unless I am (as may be possible) mistaken, is an armor unit... so the U.S. Army Companions are white tanks with blue headlights...
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Which, unless I am (as may be possible) mistaken, is an armor unit... so the U.S. Army Companions are white tanks with blue headlights...
So,  appropriate for a Dominion: Tank Police step(let) then.

Manytales00 Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Which, unless I am (as may be possible) mistaken, is an armor unit... so the U.S. Army Companions are white tanks with blue headlights...
IMHO, making Bonaparte self-aware pushes this into Crossovers That Should Not Be. Consider how often he would need to be re-built, and take pity...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
Manytales00 Wrote:

IMHO, making Bonaparte self-aware pushes this into Crossovers That Should Not Be. Consider how often he would need to be re-built, and take pity...
Considering what Leona puts Bonaparte through on a regular basis, would any one in maintenance notice a difference? (She used her tank to pounce a Helicopter!) 

It might be, but Wiki describes it as a ceremonial unit, so I suspect that they're also horse corps in the same way that the RCMP still keeps horses for parades and drill exhibitions.

Ebony the Black Dragon

Ebony Wrote:
It might be, but Wiki describes it as a ceremonial unit, so I suspect that they're also horse corps in the same way that the RCMP still keeps horses for parades and drill exhibitions.

I'm not sure when or why (probably to deal with terrain hostile to motor vehicles), but I've seen it before: the RCMP still occasionally uses horses in actual police work. I do a doubletake every time I see a mounted officer in the modern blue uniform…

Proginoskes Wrote:
Ebony Wrote:
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:

Which, unless I am (as may be possible) mistaken, is an armor unit... so the U.S. Army Companions are white tanks with blue headlights...

I'm not sure when or why (probably to deal with terrain hostile to motor vehicles), but I've seen it before: the RCMP still occasionally uses horses in actual police work. I do a doubletake every time I see a mounted officer in the modern blue uniform…
Local law enforcement uses horses for several reasons, including terrain, maneuverability through crowds in pedestrian environments, public relations (people seem to react to cops on horses better than cops on motorcycles sometimes), and ease of care (in rural areas). I imagine the Mounties have similar reasons. The 1st US Cavalry doesn't, not being that sort of unit. Still, Bob's original concept of tank Companions is pretty funny.
Ebony the Black Dragon

Quote:Local law enforcement uses horses for several reasons, including terrain, maneuverability through crowds in pedestrian environments, public relations (people seem to react to cops on horses better than cops on motorcycles sometimes), and ease of care (in rural areas). I imagine the Mounties have similar reasons.
All of those, plus the fact that many people who would quite happily trash a police car won't raise a finger to a horse.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:All of those, plus the fact that many people who would quite happily trash a police car won't raise a finger to a horse.
Your average police car isn't taller than you are and likely to kick you -- hard -- if you get uppity.
-- Bob
---------

Still it would be fun to see someones reaction to a White Tank with Blue Head light's, and Chromed Cat-Treads, coming up and mentally saying "[insert name], I Choose you!".

Quote:Still it would be fun to see someones reaction to a White Tank with Blue Head light's, and Chromed Cat-Treads, coming up and mentally saying ", I Choose you!".
"Pi-ka?"

(Yes, another Crossover That Should Not Be...)
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
Quote:Still it would be fun to see someones reaction to a White Tank with Blue Head light's, and Chromed Cat-Treads, coming up and mentally saying ", I Choose you!".
"Pi-ka?"

(Yes, another Crossover That Should Not Be...)
Throw in a little Dragon Ball into the mix it gets even stranger...