Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Song to Lie By
A Song to Lie By
You're Gonna Go Far Kid, by Offspring.  (Has explicit lyrics)

Show me how to lie, you’re getting better all the time

And turning all against the one is an art that’s hard to teach

Another clever word sets off an unsuspecting herd

And as you step back in the line a mob jumps to their feet

Now dance, fucker, dance, man, he never had a chance

And no one even knew, it was really only you

And now you steal away

Take him out today

Nice work you did

You’re gonna go far, kid

With a thousand lies and a good disguise

Hit ‘em right between the eyes, hit ‘em right between the eyes

When you walk away, nothing more to say

See the lightning in your eyes, see ‘em running for their lives

Slowly outta line and drifting closer in your sights

So play it out I’m wide awake, it’s a scene about me

There’s something in your way and now someone is gonna pay

And if you can’t get what you want, well, it’s all because of me

Now dance, fucker, dance, man, I never had a chance

And now you’ll lead the way

Show the light of day

Nice work you did

You’re gonna go far, kid

Trust, deceived

Now dance, fucker, dance, he never had a chance

So dance, fucker, dance, I never had a chance

It was really only you

Clever alibis, Lord of the Flies

I was thinking that this isn't a song that Doug would probably use very often, but one that an evil alternate of his would love.  My idea for what the song would do is either let Doug (or an evil version of Doug) pick one person, and then, while the song is playing, say whatever he wants to about that person, so long as its something negative and whoever hears what he says while the song is playing (aside from the speaker, and the one being spoken about) will believe whatever he said (so long as it is fairly simple, something a mob mentality would understand like "That man is a murderer!"), even after the song ends, and not remember who told them those things.  Or, it would let Doug (or evil Doug) tell an immensely complex lie to a single person, and have it be believed.
My first encounter with this song was from this video, which I later discovered is an faster version of the original, with higher vocals, and was apparently made for that video.  The original version is a bit slower, and about twenty seconds longer. (I didn't do much digging, this is the first video that I found when I did a search for the song.  There probably are better videos up.)  Maybe one version could generate the mob effect, and the other the individual effect?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Mm. Yes, has possibilities, even if -- as you note -- they aren't exactly for the mainline Doug.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Doug's evil counterpart should be a woman, a lethal prankster who calls herself "Merry Melodies..." ^.^
--Sam
"She's like some psychopathic Lorax!"

Marie Sangnoir awoke from her transit shock and spit a curse at all deities great and small, especially the representatives of the Gaffer, Father and Son. Just because she'd refused to bow and scrape to Donner like that flighty ditz Keiko Morisato...

Well, admittedly she HAD thought Magni was adorable in the helpless geek way most modern "Son" avatars took. If only he'd been just a little older.

But back to why she was cursing.

Yes, the local reality allowed magic. Yes, there was a Node nearby; however, it was tapped by powerful Craft. What ultimately irked Marie, though, were the apparently sentient equines in rationality-denying pastel hues.

She removed her helmet and placed it in the panniers on the sleek scooter she'd built worlds ago. She kept an eye out for the ponies she'd spotted, and grabbed her stylish headphones. 'After what happened to Lemuel,' she thought, 'I'm not about to underestimate intelligent horses anytime soon.'

She waited until a likely Houyhnhnm drifted her way. Luckily, the crude grass poppet she'd crafted allowed her to make an attempt at blending in. Firmly holding in mind the effect she desired, she tapped a few keys to power on the magitek amplifier.

"System: load America -- 'A Horse With No Name.' Play song." The music swirled in her ears an as the lyrics took hold and she took a spirit form. Once a spirit, she dove into the approaching pink pegasus and possessed her.

Wind Whistler staggered under the mystic assault and ultimately bowed to the foreign presence within.

Marie rummaged through her host's memories.

"Rainbow of... Light," Marie surprised herself by realizing that the locals could facepalm, or more accurately, facehoof. "Right. I'll just take it from this Megan and use it to get home to Mikey."

She cantered towards Paradise Estate, humming "Working my Way Back to You."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

You realize, of course, that we're going to have to start a "Marie Melodies" thread now.

(I suspect Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" would be her mind-control song of choice at parties or clubs... or other people's wedding receptions.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The poor woman will be very embarrassed when she's utterly owned by a ten-year-old girl and her pony army (cavalry?).  Who then help her on her way anyway, under the impression that they've taught her a lesson of some sort...   Smile
--Sam
"You know, though today was the worst day of my life, I learned many
things. First, the world looks a lot different when you're six inches
tall and covered with feathers. Second, two heads are definitely not
better than one. And finally, you can lay eggs and still feel like a
man."

I don't recognize the reference, although from random bits and pieces I've picked up from pop culture at large I'll guess the latest incarnation of "My Pretty Pony"?

And Marie Sangnoir is an evil concept, one that I wish I'd come up with. And don't think I haven't noticed all the other inversions in that passage! (Although I should note that the counterparts to Maiden/Warrior/Mother/Crone are Rover/Guardian/Hunter/Guide.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob, it's the ORIGINAL My Little Pony from the 80s. The series had a good deal of dark potential that was never tapped. Seriously a good degree of nightmare fuel if the kids who watched it were aware enough: "those are bad guys 'cause they're dark purple" rather than "Those are bad guys cause they're stealing souls!"

And thanks! I'm great at vignettes; it's making it coherent that's the problem. Wink
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Bob Schroeck Wrote:And Marie Sangnoir is an evil concept, one that I wish I'd come up with. And don't think I haven't noticed all the other inversions in that passage! (Although I should note that the counterparts to Maiden/Warrior/Mother/Crone are Rover/Guardian/Hunter/Guide.)
Call me cooky, but shouldn't it be "Mary Sangnoir?"  Then she could be Mary Mellodies, instead of Marie.

http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/top ... /master/1/]Ms. Sangnoir now has her own thread over in General DW Chatter
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012