Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And now for something a little bit different
And now for something a little bit different
Would it be okay if I offered a suggestion?

It's a song that's quite popular in Ireland, with a distinctive riff... though I'm not sure if anyone in America will ever have heard of it, or the band. It's Dearg Doom by the band 'Horslips'. It can be found Here on Youtube, and is the sixth song on the album 'The Táin', which is based off the Táin bó Cúailgne.

There're more details on the Horslips website, including explanations of some of the lyrics.

Quote:Our man Cu Chulainn!
Dearg Doom means the Red Destroyer. The tune is O'Neill's Cavalry.

My love is colder than black marble by the sea.
My heart is older than the cold oak tree.
I am the flash of silver in the sun.
When you see me coming you had better
run . . . run . . . run .
From Dearg Doom.

You speak in whispers of the devils I have slain
By the fire of my silver Devil’s Blade,
And still you dare to flaunt yourself at me.
I don't want you, I don't need you,
I don't love you, can't you see

I'm Dearg Doom.

And when the stars go out
You can hear me shout
"Two heads are better than none,
One hundred heads are so much better than one".

I'm a boy who was born blind to pain
And, like a hawk, I'll swoop and swoop again.
I am the flash of Hawkeye in the sun.
When you see me coming you had
better run . . . run . . . run . .
From Dearg Doom.

Thoughts?

I'm mainly suggesting it because it's such a cool riff... and it's an interesting album in it's own right, with most of the tracks being based of off traditional Irish music with a more modern (1973) spin.

I'm not unfamiliar with Horslips -- we have a copy of Book of Invasions somewhere in our collection.

And yeah, it's very cool.

As for Doug... well, Cu Chulainn was, IIRC, a berserker; maybe it's a berserking song for him -- lets him roar into battle barehanded and stand a chance against a hundred foes. Or maybe he just uses it as a boast...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I'm surprised, I really didn't think they'd be much known at all outside this country. I know they toured America once a few years before they split up. I guess that means I'll have to try harder then Tongue Though my favourite song on the album is actually Cùchulainn's Lament

Cùchulainn was a berserker alright, capable of taking on an entire army by himself, but he also had bit of a habit of irritating the Gods and the supernatural into trying to trip him up, though occasionally the opposite.... and depending on who translates what and what someone thinks makes a good story is actually what got him killed.

IIRC, we have a vinyl disk on Invasions, which suggests one of us bought it 20 or more years ago.

As for Cu Chulainn, sounds a lot like what Doug goes through, only more extreme.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.