Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seance song: The Promise by Within Temptation
Seance song: The Promise by Within Temptation
from their album Mother Earth, this song conjures the spirit of a deceased person, IF that person had left an unfulfilled promise upon their death or at any time promised to return to either Doug or a living person with whom he maintains physical contact during at least the first two minutes of the song. (And, hence, are eligible under the "normal" rules for being a ghost.) As it's a whopping 8 minutes long, that still leaves plenty of time to discuss whatever is so urgent to be worth contacting the dead about.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

I'll have to hear it before I can comment. But the one Within Temptation song I've encountered so far I've really liked. So I'm expecting good things.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Just to avoid unrealistic expectations - I haven't found any of their stuff to be quite as good as Angels, and The Promise is actually on the low end of what I'd consider for a power song - you pretty much have to get the lyrics and hear the feeling put into them (rather than trying to puzzle them out) or it feels really slwo and meh. (wow what a difference between my first impression and after I had the bookl3et out to read along as it played!)

Even then, the "seance" aspect is admittedly a bit of a stretch, but the other option would be to empower someone who has lost a loved one when facing the guilty party (as long as he/she is within AoE) which is rather less interesting - my justification is that the "you promised to return" line is the only one that's really clear (and repeated) without reading the lyrics, and the rest is also a promise to take vengeance, and hence also a mythologically valid reason to become a ghost.

On behalf of her love

She no longer sleeps

Life had no longer meaning

Nothing to make her stay

She sold her soul away

I held you tight to me

You slipped away

You promised to return to me

And I believed, I believed

After the night he died

I wept my tears until they dried

But the pain stayed the same

I didn't want him to die all in vain

I made a promise to revenge his soul in time

I'll make them bleed down at my feet

Sometimes I wonder

Could I have known about their true intentions?

As the pain stayed the same

I'm going to haunt them down all the way

I made a promise to revenge his soul in time

One by one they were surprised

The song "Dark Wings" on the same album could also serve as a narrative prequel.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows