Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Can See Clearly Now
I Can See Clearly Now
Written and performed by Johnny Nash, 1972 (2 minutes 45 seconds) -- or you can go with the 1993 cover by Jimmy Cliff (if there's a difference in the lyrics, I didn't see it clearly).  Well, actually, there're a whole bunch of covers.
I can see clearly now, the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright
(Bright), bright (bright)
Sun-shiny day.
It's gonna be a bright
Sun-shiny day.

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I've been prayin' for
It's gonna be a bright
Sun-shiny day.

Look all around, there's nothin' but blue skies
Look straight ahead, nothin' but blue skies.

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright
Sun-shiny day.
It's gonna be a bright
Sun-shiny day.

It's gonna be a bright
Sun-shiny day.

Oh, what a bright (bright)
Sun-shiny day.

Oh, yeah, in the area of effect there's gonna be bright, blazing sunshine pouring down from above -- no matter what time it is, outdoors, in, or kilometers underground, weather conditions immaterial -- and for purposes of the reaction of vampires and similar entities, yes, that certainly is pure, undimmed, unstained, and all but holy sunlight.  Can you say "ouch," boys and ghouls?  Or are they too busy turning to dust?  

It was the repetition of "bright, sun-shiny" over and over that led me to think the sunshine aspect was more important than mere vision enhancement.  And then I thought of a scene in Gold Digger where a character chased away vampires by opening up a portal that let some very intense sun shine through.

Hmmm.  You might be able to get the same effect with "Let the Sunshine In" from Hair.

Edited to add some clarifying details.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Quote:DHBirr wrote:
I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Those two lines suggest the possibility of some sort of minor healing and/or mental effect. Maybe the sunlight suppresses pain, stops bleeding or grants renewed hope?
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Sunlight...healing...
Am I the only one who thinks this would make a great song to just plain Spam in the Daybreakers universe?

...possibly sunlight at the correct angle/bright enough to show anything like a hidden door Doug needs to use later, or any baddies who just happen to be hiding in ambush (shadows that noticeably shouldn't be there), as a secondary effect? "I can see all obstacles in my way."
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Hm. Game terms would be light generation, healing/regen, and a big boost to detects. Very doable.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.