Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Our Town
In Our Town
This one is probably one for Doug's evil alternate:  (from S5E1 of MLP:FiM)

Lyrics:
I'm thinking this song would induce a mass brainwashing effect, useful for starting or reinforcing a cult.  Also, depowers and reduces the strength and skills of those affected, to the lowest "stat" among them, making them all "equal".
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Depowers, or averages out?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

That would depend on the point of view from the affected. To a "one percenter" it would seem repowering, while the rest might not notice anything different. So yes, it averages out everyone, while apparently depowering the few or unique.

Ah, but if only one person in a group of ten could fly and he could fly at Mach 2, then for the duration everybody in the group can fly at Mach 0.2. (Replace the power with your power-of-choice, if you wish.) This could be useful.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Ah, but if only one person in a group of ten could fly and he could fly at Mach 2, then for the duration everybody in the group can fly at Mach 0.2. (Replace the power with your power-of-choice, if you wish.) This could be useful.
I don't think the song would add abilities to those without, only remove from those who have.  Look at the penultimate verse.  "Simplify", not "complicate".
And even if powers and skills did average out, and didn't work like the leveling in Harrison Bergeron, there's still the brainwashing effects to deal with.  I mean,
Quote:You can't have a nightmare
If you never dream
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

That... is disturbing. As I presume it was supposed to be -- that's the song you mentioned elsewhere as being inspired by Nazi propaganda music, isn't it?

When I'm less disturbed I'll consider power possibilities. Right now, though...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
That... is disturbing. As I presume it was supposed to be -- that's the song you mentioned elsewhere as being inspired by Nazi propaganda music, isn't it?

When I'm less disturbed I'll consider power possibilities. Right now, though...
Here's a tweet from the composer:
Quote:Happy #MLPseason5 Premiere Day everypony!! Today's song "In Our Town" was inspired by WWII Propaganda music. A first for me and MLP #creepy
— Daniel Ingram (@dannyimusic) April 4, 2015
Source, because Yuku doesn't want to embed it properly.
-----