Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of doing a DW fanfic...
Re: Blue Skies, Blue Water (take 2)
Expanding on this, here's the (current) first scene of Chapter Three. (Maybe I should do some more work on Chapter One...)

Somewhere over the Indian Ocean. Friday, May 16, 1890. 2:00 PM Local Time.

We had been crammed into the Gratan for nearly a week, and Ayerton was really getting on my nerves. But what else was new? Unfortunately, I couldn't get far enough away from him without wasting fuel that I couldn't easily replenish just now, and there was no telling when another Garfish might surface and take a potshot at us.
"But of course Jean should be allowed to present his feelings for Nadia to her in song!"
"I've explained to you three times already why that's a bad idea, Ayerton." He reminded me of most of the gods I had met, except that he didn't have the power to back up his childish attitude, thank the Norns.
"I'm sure that you're just not trying hard enough to overcome that little problem, Mr. Sangnoir. Look at me - I was able to overcome my upbringing and learn how to cook."
Hanson and Sanson both looked at Ayerton as if he was an idiot. (He is an idiot, but that's beside the point.) Sanson beat Hanson and me to the reply. "Do you seriously believe that the your upbringing is at all comprable to Sangnoir's physical limitation?"
"There are two kinds of people in this world, Sanson: those who are confined by their limitations, and those who can rise above them. Obviously, Mr. Sangnoir is one of the first kind of people, while I am one of the second."
I noticed Hanson gripping the steering wheel so tightly that his knuckles were turning white. Sanson's body language told me that he was about to stand up. They both looked upset.
Naturally, this went right over Ayerton's head. He had turned back to me. "But perhaps it isn't your fault that you can't rise above your limitations, Mr. Sangnoir. There is a difference in breeding between us. You're only a commoner, from base common stock. I, however, am an English count."
Now I was really upset. I might not be on good terms with my parents, but they're still my family. How dare this ... popinjay insult them sight unseen? "You're a count? Count this!" I grabbed his head with one hand, and started talking with a bad Transylvanian accent as I slammed his head into the bulkhead. "One! Ah-ha-ha-ha!" I slammed his head into the bulkhead again. "Two! Ah-ha-ha-ha!" And again. "Three! Ah-ha-ha-ha!"
Before I could work all of my anger at the idiot out of my system, Hanson cleared his throat and looked straight at me. "Doug."
"What is is, Hanson? Can't you see that I'm busy?"
"Well ... You're making it hard to keep the Gratan stable."
"Oh." I let go of Ayerton, who crawled off to the other side of the compartment. "Sorry about that."

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I like. My only concern is that it makes Doug look a lot more cruel than he really is -- I hope there's sufficient provocation in chapter 2.
Characterization thought of the day: Doug despairing of anyone getting his jokes because all his pop culture references are a century out of date, in the wrong direction to boot.
Silly dialogue idea #1 of the day: "Wasn't this tank considerably smaller a few minutes ago?" -- Doug, looking around during one of those points in the story when the Gratan seems to be the size of a small house inside
Silly dialogue idea #2 of the day: "Just pour cheese sauce on us and call us Refugees au Gratan."

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!
(y'know, it's amazing how often I use that post title on this board....)
Quote:
Silly dialogue idea #2 of the day: "Just pour cheese sauce on us and call us Refugees au Gratan."
-- Bob
---------
Okay. There can be only one response to a limburger of this magnitude:
* SkyeFire grabs quoted pun, drags it off the web and into UseNet, and thence to alt.callahans.
* SkyeFire enters virtual pub.
Thirty seconds pass.
* SkyeFire runs out through the front door screaming in agony, followed by hundreds of patrons holding their noses and running shrieking into the night.....
(note for the Robinson-impaired: in the "Callahan's Place" novels, this was the *highest* accolade possible for a pun, from a group who shared a near-universal love of large-caliber punnery)
Quote:
I like.
Thanks.
Quote:
My only concern is that it makes Doug look a lot more cruel than he really is -- I hope there's sufficient provocation in chapter 2.
Well... You recall the scene where Ayerton convinces Grandis to sneak away with him in the Gratan by lying to her about wine? One extra thing he'll have done beforehand is drain the fuel from Doug's bike into the Gratan's fuel tank (to him, fuel's fuel - luckily, ethanol won't hurt that sort of engine), which will slow down Doug, Sanson, and Hanson when they think to use the bike to go after Ayerton. When they finally arrive at the point where Ayerton parked the Gratan, they'll find that he got somewhat farther with Grandis than he did in the canon. (How much farther, I haven't decided. But at the least, there will be some torn clothing...)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Oh, well, in that case... full speed ahead.

-- Bob
---------
On the first scene of Chapter 3:
Love it -- and now I've got a new DW story to make me bite my nails waiting for installments. Gee, thanks.
One small problem, though: the English, determined to be different, don't use the title "Count" in their aristocracy; they call a man of equivalent rank "Earl" (although a woman *is* a "Countess").
The good news is I think this can be an easy fix, *and* make his lordship even more irritating than he is already -- I mean, that snatch of dialogue had me wanting to cheer every time his head hit the bulkhead. Just have Ayerton very patronizingly explain, *every* time he mentions his rank, and ignoring that Doug's been stationed in Britain for years, "I am an English earl, the equivalent of a count." After the third or fourth time, I suspect you'll want to push Doug aside and hit Ayerton yourself.
More! Give us more!
DHBirr
"A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." Rule 12, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Howard Tayler
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Quote:
One small problem, though: the English, determined to be different, don't use the title "Count" in their aristocracy; they call a man of equivalent rank "Earl" (although a woman *is* a "Countess").
I know that, and you know that, but Hideki Anno didn't know that... I'm stuck with the backstory that's in the canon.
If I was going to be historically accurate, I'd have to drop the bit where Nadia does the Tarzan yodel while swinging through the jungle, the bikinis worn by Grandis and Nadia, and Jean's jet expiremental aircraft (all of which were shown in the anime).
Although having Doug comment on the error might make for a good throwaway scene.
Quote:
More! Give us more!
I plan to do a marathon writing session over my summer vacation, a couple of weeks from now...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
If I was going to be historically accurate, I'd have to drop the bit where Nadia does the Tarzan yodel while swinging through the jungle, the bikinis worn by Grandis and Nadia, and Jean's jet expiremental aircraft (all of which were shown in the anime).
Oh yeah, this series is Anachronism City... Here's another example, Jean -- apparently a well-raised European boy of the late 19th century -- is not at all flustered or embarassed by the absolutely scandalous amount of skin Nadia shows on a daily basis. In the real 1889, Nadia would probably have been shut up in a mental institution for her "exhibitionism".
Put it all together and Doug's going to be very confused about the local year, even after he finds out what it is!
Quote:
Although having Doug comment on the error might make for a good throwaway scene.
Doug's probably going to be halfway between amused and annoyed by the differences from the 1889 he's familiar with. "grumble grumble Can't trust anything I know from school grumble."

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Oh yeah, this series is Anachronism City... Here's another example, Jean -- apparently a well-raised European boy of the late 19th century -- is not at all flustered or embarassed by the absolutely scandalous amount of skin Nadia shows on a daily basis. In the real 1889, Nadia would probably have been shut up in a mental institution for her "exhibitionism".
Only if she was European, which she very obviously isn't. They might make her wear a sari (with a threat of jail for public indecency if she didn't), but as a foreigner, she'd get some leeway in European society. Of course, her opinion would hold as much water in polite society as your average piece of cheescloth (she's not white, after all), but that's another story altogether.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Still, my main point is that Jean doesn't give her "work clothes" a second glance most of the time, as if he's used to that much skin bared on a girl. And culturally, that just is way out of line.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Thinking of doing a DW fanfic...
Status update... I have had a really bad month. (My employer wants to cut my pay by ~4% despite having record income, the union voted 89% in favour of a strike, and I've got car and retirement-plan payments to make; my uncle just had a cancer removed, of a type that runs in families and killed my great-aunt, and I can't find a doctor who's accepting patients in order to get myself checked; I've been doing two people's work at the office while my co-worker gets his wife's children enrolled in school; I haven't had time to roleplay in weeks, so my usual pressure-relief outlet isn't there; etc, etc, etc. Yes, I know I'm venting; sorry about that. Anyways..)
All of my fanfic is on hold at the moment. Right now, I'm concentrating on family, work, and prepping for when I'll have time to get back to roleplaying (fingers crossed, this weekend). When I come up with ideas of what to put into the stories, I jot them down in point form, but that's hardly real writing...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Take your time. Do what needs doing first.
And in a week or two, there'll probably be a new chapter of DW5 to read to help give a little relaxation.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
I'm looking forward to it!

(And to add to my woes, my current ISP appears to be in the process of going tits-up. At least, I couldn't connect this evening (I'm using my father's connection right now), and the ISP's on-call pager number just rings... Anyone who has my robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com email address in their address books, please change it to my robkelk -at- gmail -dot- com address, which I'll check when I can...)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

thoughts
You know, I've never thought of Doug as someone that calls anybody "lad." Does any American call anybody "lad"? Has he just spent that much time in Great Britain?
I think that Doug would be a great addition in the Island section, though it was during this point that Nadia became very . . . off. I blame the fact that this entire filler arc was crap and not the work of gainax proper. Maybe Doug could enter his own robot King in the great king race?
I know that Shinji's character design was based off of Nadia's but I'm not sure if his personality was. Nadia, while oftentimes morose, was also very up as well. And she had a spine.
Nadia, not exactly a vegetarian. She likes eggs--a lot! And milk. And possibly fish, though I'm not sure about that.
As for the drive and power source of the Nautilus 2, have you seen the Nadia omake? There's this one episode that gives some of the technical specs of the nautilus 2 and compares it to first one. I'm not sure about this orpheus drive and it being a "mana engine" or what have you. Despite the quasi-mystical nature of the blue water, it doesn't neccessarily have to have anything to do with magic. the Nautilus 2 might harness zero point energy or possibly a singularity. Or something equally kookoo science fantasy-ish, a la star wars or star trek.
You know, I've always thought that Grandis' henchmen should be SAMSON and HANSOM. It sounds the same in Japanese but the fact that "Sanson" is a vain super strong guy is a clue to what his name actually should be. Hansom, of course, from the maker of the famous Hansom cab.
Course there's the problem of what to do with Doug during hte confrontation with Gargoyle. It has to be Nadia what does what she does with the blue water, not doug's metapowers.
hmm.
-murmur
Re: thoughts
Quote:
You know, I've never thought of Doug as someone that calls anybody "lad." Does any American call anybody "lad"? Has he just spent that much time in Great Britain?
Good question... But Bob didn't say anything about it when I posted the teaser, so many months ago , so I assume he's okay with the term. It isn't as if Doug's going to make a habit of using the word - he and Jean are similar in more than a few ways, so they'll become reasonably close.
Quote:
I think that Doug would be a great addition in the Island section, though it was during this point that Nadia became very . . . off.
Which I'm ignoring as much as possible. The justification for Nadia's personality not changing is that Doug has shown up...
Quote:
Maybe Doug could enter his own robot King in the great king race?
Hmmmmm... There'd have to be a good reason for him to take part in what's essentially a grudge match, but we'll see what happens when the story gets that far (midway through chapter 2, BTW).
Quote:
Nadia, not exactly a vegetarian. She likes eggs--a lot! And milk. And possibly fish, though I'm not sure about that.
Not fish - she gets upset on more than one occasion when she sees Jean and Marie have caught some. But, yes, she's not a strict vegan.
Quote:
As for the drive and power source of the Nautilus 2, have you seen the Nadia omake? There's this one episode that gives some of the technical specs of the nautilus 2 and compares it to first one.
"100 Secrets of the Nautilus" - that's one of the few that I have seen.
Quote:
I'm not sure about this orpheus drive and it being a "mana engine" or what have you. Despite the quasi-mystical nature of the blue water, it doesn't neccessarily have to have anything to do with magic. the Nautilus 2 might harness zero point energy or possibly a singularity. Or something equally kookoo science fantasy-ish, a la star wars or star trek.
I plead Clarke's Law ("Any sufficiently advanced technology...") Seriously, they never say what an Orpheus Furnace is, so I'm using writer's perogative.
Quote:
You know, I've always thought that Grandis' henchmen should be SAMSON and HANSOM. It sounds the same in Japanese but the fact that "Sanson" is a vain super strong guy is a clue to what his name actually should be. Hansom, of course, from the maker of the famous Hansom cab.
Isn't that how I spelled their names? It's how I meant to, at least... Ah well, I'll catch it with a global search-and-replace.
Quote:
Course there's the problem of what to do with Doug during hte confrontation with Gargoyle. It has to be Nadia what does what she does with the blue water, not doug's metapowers.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

This is sort a fusion reply to both Murmur's post, and Rob's own reply.
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good question... But Bob didn't say anything about it when I posted the teaser, so many months ago , so I assume he's okay with the term. It isn't as if Doug's going to make a habit of using the word - he and Jean are similar in more than a few ways, so they'll become reasonably close.
Odd that this should come up right now, as Peggy and I were talking about this, in light of DW5, in the car the other night.
Doug has spent -- as of his departure date in 1998 -- thirteen years in England, including in that a year bumming about as a street gang member in/about SoHo in London. His speech has picked up some British rhythms in that time, not to mention some lower/middle-class Brit slang, which will be creeping more into his narration. You'll see some in chapter 2 of DW5, in fact, which is what prompted the discussion with Peggy -- we were talking about what kind of fun one of those philologists who analyze someone's life history from their speech patterns would get from him.
Quote:
I think that Doug would be a great addition in the Island section, though it was during this point that Nadia became very . . . off.
Which I'm ignoring as much as possible. The justification for Nadia's personality not changing is that Doug has shown up...
And Doug does not put up with her foolishness, calling it such and -- if Rob uses the material I've given him -- relentlessly tears it down and exposes it.
Quote:

What Rob said. Believe me, Rob's got this worked out, and I've contributed a little. I think I can safely say that Doug does not have sufficient access rights to Blue Water to do anything with it -- but he does have ways of changing the order and selection of events at the climax.
Hm. Think that's vague enough, Rob?

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Cruel and only-too-usual tormenting of forum-goers! Aaaarrgh!
Something that's been nagging at me for a while: presumably the objection to Jean expressing his feelings to Nadia in musical form has to do with the possibility of them triggering Doug's powers. At least, I can't think of any other reason for Doug to have a problem with it that no one else does. But what's happened to his tuneplug?
Yes, I know you're not going to tell me now.
DHBirr
"Up, lad, up! We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!"
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Quote:
Yes, I know you're not going to tell me now.
Surprise! I haven't finished writing that scene, so it'll be in point form...
* Jean announces his plan to woo Nadia in song.
* Samson and Hanson mention that this might not be a good idea, because of Doug's power. Samson apologizes to Doug for giving Jean the idea.
* Ayerton announces that he thinks it's a great idea.
* Samson and Hanson play rock-paper-scissors to determine who gets to beat on Ayerton for being an idiot yet again. Hanson wins. (Lucky Ayerton...)
* After the beating, Doug mentions the tuneplug, which nobody knew about beforehand.
* Scene continues as in canon to where Nadia loses her temper.
* Doug plays "A&R man" and critiques Jean's efforts.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Works for me.

-- Bob
---------
New story fragment
A little something that I put together for the final chapter, after hearing a particular '70s song on the radio... I don't want this to be the final version of this scene; for one thing, it has no song lyrics. This is because I can't find the lyrics anywhere on the web... Oh, the altered lyrics to the remix are trivally easy to find, but perish forbid the original lyrics should be available anywhere.
Enough rant - time for the story fragment.

By this point, they had to know where we were headed, even if we didn't. So it was no surprise that there were a dozen soldiers waiting for us as we walked around a corner.
"Oh, no," moaned Hanson as a metal blast door closed behind us, cutting off our escape route.
As the Neo-Atlantis soldiers aimed their rifles at us, I gestured to the others. "Get behind me," I whispered.
When I was in MegaTokyo, I was introduced to the idea of the "superhero". The Blue Blaze Irregulars helped me get a partial handle on the concept, mostly by letting me read some of their collections of serial-art stories. (They called those stories "comic books", but there wasn't anything comic about most of them.) I also picked up some interesting music the last week I was in MegaTokyo, including a Canadian song that was almost as old as I am. Putting the song together with the abilities of some of the "superheroes" seemed like the best choice here, both for the novelty value and to avoid using one of my more powerful songs on normals.
I raised my voice to the level where my computer would definitely hear me. "System. Rubber Band Man. Play." The song's effect took hold as the soldiers opened fire.
The bullets hit my skin, causing my back to develop some very tall dimples for a moment. I straightened up and let the rounds fall off my chest and land on the deck. I could only imagine the looks of surprise that must have been on the Neo-Atlanteans' faces. Sometimes I really hate full-face masks.
Once I was sure that they were out of ammunition, I bounced - yes, bounced - over to them, stretched out my arms as far as I needed to, and gave all twelve of them a biiiiiiiiiiiig hug.
"Good Lord, Sangnoir! How do you do that?"
I replied with the standard answer a magician gives to that question. "Very well, Samson." I turned my neck around 180 degrees to see him frown. "Now would you three please come over here and secure these people? I can't hold them forever." In fact, one of the soldiers was almost out of my grasp, and I wasn't sure how much longer I could hold him.
Sanson noticed that soldier and drew his pistol. I was about to ask him to be careful aiming when he reversed the weapon and clubbed the soldier over the head with its butt. That was enough to knock him out, and the other soldiers stopped trying to get out of my hug. By the time the song was over and I was back to being a normal metahuman, Samson and Hanson had disarmed and secured the soldiers.
"Now what?" asked Samson.
"We keep going and hope Jean hasn't moved. If he doesn't need to be rescued, then he'll know how to get off this ship."
"My thoughts exactly, Senorita," I smiled as we continued on the course I had learned from playing "I Will Follow Him".

Well, that's it, so far. Can anyone fill in the following blank for the "legal" section, or find me a copy of the lyrics?
Lyrics from The Spinners' "Rubber Band Man" copyright 1971 by _____, used without permission.
--
Rob Kelk

Re: New story fragment
Blue Blazer Irregulars. Named such because they wear blue coats with the Banzai Institute Logo on them.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Strangely enough, I have those lyrics. I've got "Rubberband Man" on one of my mix CDs in the car, and I've been meaning to find a place for it in a story somewhere for the longest time... If you beat me to it, cool.

Hand me down my walkin cane
Hand me down my hat
Hurry now and dont be late
'Cause we aint got time to chat
You and me were goin out
To catch the latest sounds
Guaranteed to blow your mind
So high you wont come down
Hey, yall prepare yourself
For the Rubberband man
You never heard a sound
Like the rubberband man
Youre bound to lose control
When the Rubberband starts to jam
Oh, Lord, this dude is outta sight
Everything he does
seems to come out right
Once I went to hear them play
At a club outside of town
I was so surprised, I was hypnotized
By the sound this cat put down
When I saw this short fat guy
Stretch a band between his toes
Hey, I laughed so hard cause the man got down
When he finally reached his nose
For the Rubberband man
You never heard a sound
Like the rubberband man
Got that rubberband
Up on his toes
And then he wriggled it up
All around his nose
(Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo)
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Playin all that music, yet keepin time
Where in the world did he learn that, oh, Lord
(Doo doo doo doo doo)
Lord, help him get away
For the Rubberband man
You never heard a sound
Like the rubberband man
Doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo
Rubberband man, Rubberband man
How much of this stuff do he think we can stand
So much rhythm, grace and debonair from one man, Lord
And then he had nerve to wiggle his left toe
To his knee, got the feelin in his head, yall
Ah, come on, baby
For the Rubberband man
You never heard a sound
Like the rubberband man
Rubberband man starts to jam
Movin up and down across the land
Got people all in his ways
Everything about him seems out of place
Just a movin, just a movin, just a move-move-movin
Just a Rubberband, Rubberband man
Just a movin, just a movin, just a move-move-movin
Just a Rubberband, Rubberband man
Get down
Oh, get down lover
Uh-huh.
-- Spinners, Rubberband Man (Linda Creed/Thom Bell)

-- Bob
---------
Thanks for the correction, Ebony.
Bob, why am I not surprised you had the lyrics? Seriously, is the power okay, or did you have something different planned for the song?
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Oh, no, Mr. Fantastic/Plastic Man is clearly the way to go with that song. No objections whatsoever.

-- Bob
---------
Ah, good.
I've rewritten the scene slightly, working appropriate lyrics in...

By this point, they had to know where we were headed, even if we didn't. So it was no surprise that there were a dozen soldiers waiting for us as we walked around a corner.
"Oh, no," moaned Hanson as a metal blast door closed behind us, cutting off our escape route.
As the Neo-Atlantis soldiers aimed their rifles at us, I gestured to the others. "Get behind me," I whispered. When I was in MegaTokyo, I was introduced to the idea of the "superhero". The Blue Blazer Irregulars helped me get a partial handle on the concept, mostly by letting me read some of their collections of serial-art stories. (They called those stories "comic books", but there wasn't anything comic about most of them.) I also picked up some interesting music the last week I was in MegaTokyo, including a Canadian song that was almost as old as I am. Putting the song together with the abilities of some of the "superheroes" seemed like the best choice here, both for the novelty value and to avoid using one of my more powerful songs on normals. I raised my voice to the level where my computer would definitely hear me. "System. Rubber Band Man. Play."
"
--
Rob Kelk