Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historical Curiosity: The Original "Itinerary" fi
Historical Curiosity: The Original "Itinerary" fi
Discussions elsewhere in the forums encouraged me to dig this out and post it. This is the original "metaplot" for The Drunkard's Walk, last tweaked about five years ago. Even then it was out of date, as the incomplete portion of the Walk continuously mutated and mutates still. I now work from another "itinerary" file in a somewhat different format; the fact that this one is still around is basically a tribute to my packrat tendencies.
Note that this is not complete and unabridged. There are definite spoilers remaining in the old file, which I have removed. Likewise I've removed some excess notage that really belonged in the project development files for the various Steps, and didn't really add anything to what this file was all about. Even with those bits in, though, this wasn't exactly the most informative file -- it was mainly a top-level list of "pointers" to keep me organized.
Anyway, enjoy. The Drunkard's Walk of Douglas Sangnoir:Start point: Warriors' World (homeworld). Low ambient mana. Departs via enemy action.First step: Velgarth, home of the Heralds of Valdemar. Average mana, node system. Learns how to tap nodes, and how *not* to. Trades unarmed combat training to Alberich for armed combat, particularly quarterstaff. Departs via "Point of Know Return" by Kansas. Working Title: "A Horse Ain't A Horse, Of Course, Of Course"Second step: Bubblegum Crisis. Outrageously high mana, node system. Builds motorcycle. Title: "Robot's Rules of Order" Gate Song: "The Way" by FastballThird step: Kodomo no Omocha. Average ambient mana. I have no idea for a plot yet for this setting, but it seemed like a nice challenge -- definitely a world where combat solutions are out of the question. Working Title: "Sana-chan no Omocha".Fourth step: Buckaroo Banzai, post-"8th Dimension". Average mana, node system. Working Title: "Pests and Hanoi-ances"Fifth step: In Nomine (A!MS variant?). High mana, node system (Tether variant). Working Title: "Holy, Holy, Holy... Cow"Sixth step: The Well World. Average ambient mana. Acquires translator crystal. ???Seventh step: "M.A.G.N.U.S. Veritas" -- an otherwise mundane Earth where the first experimental A.I. computer discovers the true principles of magic and becomes the only wizard on the planet. Low ambient mana. Doug learns more about magic, not that he can really apply it.Eighth step: Quantum Leap. Sam of course leaps into Doug. There is something vital for both Doug *and* Sam to accomplish in order for Doug to move on. Low ambient mana.Ninth step: Slayers Learns what the invocation of a "Dragon Slave" sounds like, and the subsequent need to duck. Outrageous ambient mana.Tenth step: Legion's Quest poly-crossover. Mana uncertain at this point. Learns that he isn't the only wanderer, that he *will* get home.Eleventh step: Dirty Pair, Zen/Legion alternate, post-Legion? Average ambient mana? Story?Twelfth step: Unknown.Thirteenth step: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Average ambient mana. Arrives near the Hellmouth. With clever hacking gets job as a shop teacher at Sunnydale High. Stumbles across vampires. Chasing them, stumbles across Buffy; both think the other's a vampire at first, and fight... Willow discovers his credentials are faked (expertly)......Last step: Home again, home again, jiggity-jig.

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
Re: Historical Curiosity: The Original "Itinerary"
The Well World? Good gravy! Endless possibilities for morphing the characters and making them enjoy being morphed, no matter how humiliating, degrading, and counter to their morals and mindset the morph is!
I loved the Well World idea, but Jack Chalker's metamorphosis fetish gets old really quick.
Re: Historical Curiosity: The Original "Itinerary"
I got into the Well World series back in the 1970s (I found Midnight At The Well Of Souls in an English-language bookstore in Paris in 1978 while on a school trip to Europe); it took me a decade more of spotty reading to realize that Chalker has a serious fetish for body-swapping/-changing. Even so, the Well World books are the mildest of the lot.

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...