Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character Sheet question
Re: Here's a possibly relevant link
Ah! Surbrook's Stuff!
That's where that PBEM game I play has its homepage and turns archived!
Yeah, Surbrook has tons of writeups in the Hero system. I've been contemplating for some time now translating the Fuzion write-up of Looney Toons to the Hero/Champions system. It would be a relatively easy port.
He even has the three Goddesses (Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld) statted out. Although I believe he was using references from VERY early in the manga run, or maybe the first OVA series. I disagree with the power level and some of the details now that I've been reading the series for a long time. Those character sheets need some serious updating.
I've also considered doing a write-up of Doug in BESM/Silver Age Sentinals/Tri-Stat DX. The Tri-stat system overall is a nice, clean one, and there's plenty of BESM books that have licensed anime characters for comparison and reference.
My roomates also have a couple of copies of the BESM Sailor Moon books that Guardians of order put out several years ago. And which, unfortunately, are no longer in print. GOO no longer even has the license to Sailor Moon because of some extremely convoluted problems in the American license and disputes over who owns what rights.
But as far as a gaming reference, they are the closest you're going to get to an "official" source. And the book itself has tons of reference data not just for the American show, but for the original Japanese source materiel. Even going so far as to explore some of the mythical elements of the series. If you can find it at all, I highly recommend it as an invaluable resource. Unfortunately, IIRC, it only covers the first couple of seasons, and the outer senshi are not given much detail. I imagine they were going to do another book detailing the next few seasons, but oh well.
Anyway - a conversion of Doug into Hero System character sheet wouldn't be terribly difficult. He's practically already halfway there, with a Fuzion write-up.
Hero is VERY crunchy. Which is both good and bad. If you want to know in fine detail what a character can and can't do, Hero is very good. Another advantage is that there's a lot of material, both at Surbrook's website and elsewhere, for comparison purposes.
On the other other hand, BESM/Tri-Stat is a little more simple and stripped down by comparison. It was meant to allow extremely fast, off the cuff kind of play, which suits the anime genre of course. I kind of think of it as a "Hero System-Lite". Plus, there's a lot of licensed products that were made for it as well. Everything from Demon City Shinjuku and Tenchi Muyo to Trigun, Hellsing, and most recently, Slayers. And most of it is still in print. (I've got all of the old out of print stuff myself, except for the Sailor Moon book, and I have ready access to that through my roomates.)
We may, in the end, wind up with game stats for Doug in 4 systems. The original V&V, Fuzion, Hero and BESM/Tri-Stat. That ought to be enough reference material to suit most anyone!-Logan
-----------------
"So there I was, lying flat on my back, with my face pressed into the dirt, thinking, "Wait a minute, something's not rig..."
-----------------

Messages In This Thread
Character Sheet question - by Disruptor - 03-17-2004, 04:54 AM
Re: Character Sheet question - by Bob Schroeck - 03-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Re: Character Sheet question - by ClassicDrogn - 03-17-2004, 06:45 PM
Re: Character Sheet question - by Bob Schroeck - 03-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Re: Character Sheet question - by Disruptor - 03-18-2004, 03:36 AM
Here's a possibly relevant link - by Murmur the Fallen - 03-18-2004, 04:06 AM
Re: Here's a possibly relevant link - by Logan Darklighter - 03-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Re: Here's a possibly relevant link - by Morgan Champion - 03-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Re: Here's a possibly relevant link - by mephron - 03-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Re: Here's a possibly relevant link - by Aleh - 03-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Re: Here's a possibly relevant link - by mephron - 03-22-2004, 07:08 PM
My own contribution. - by Sukael - 06-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Re: My own contribution. - by Bob Schroeck - 06-07-2005, 06:50 PM