Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time To Create A DW FAQ
Time To Create A DW FAQ
As Offsides has recently noted in another topic in this area, it's time I wrote a FAQ file for the Walk. In addition to the question that prompted him to suggest this, I have have a couple more in mind, but honestly, I'm just as likely to forget or overlook something especially appropriate as I am to remember it.
So I'm asking -- what do you guys think I ought to cover in a FAQ? Feel free to include both serious and silly questions -- I might make like Rob Kelk does with the BGC FAQ and do an April Fool's version with the silly questions. Just make sure they're clearly marked so I don't confuse them.
Thanks, everyone!

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Re: Time To Create A DW FAQ
SERIOUS QUESTIONS
--------------------------------
Q: What's a Warrior?
Q: You mean Doug can't just 'call home'?
Q: What's the story about Haven? I liked that series![Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Serious:
1) Can Doug get powers from music he makes (singing, playing an instrument, etc)
2) Does the power match what the song lyrics really say, or what Doug thinks they say?
3) If Doug's perceptions create the power, can the power change if his perceptions of the lyrics change? Or is the power "locked in" after it manifests for the first time?
4) Can Doug get more than one power from one song?
5) Can Doug get different powers from different versions/covers of the same song? If so, are the different powers related or can they be totally different?
6) Just how powerful can a song make Doug? Can Doug simulate Superman with the right song? In HERO-speak, is there a character-point limit on Doug's powers?
What is Warriors International?
Who are its members?
What is Doug's role there?
What is 'Combat Hyping'?
What's this 'techno-magical' stuff? I thought technology and magic were mutually exculsive!
Why does Doug have a problem gods?
What, exactly, does Doug need to get a power from a musical work? (music + lyrics, music + some words, words + a beat, etc.)-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Where can I learn more about Warriors World and the Warriors themselves.
I have a cool idea for somewhere were Doug should wind up
(the Fanficsquared)
"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
You might want to cover some of material that would have been presented in DW1 that gets referenced in DW2 (and presumably later stories). Although it's been at least 10 years, I'm sure there are still plenty of folks who don't know about Heralds and Whites and other things from that universe. Or you could just include a list of books to go read : )
Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
I second Jeanne's point about DW1- a list of the Valedemar books, or at least telling us where/when during the various books Doug's adventures took place.
Alternately, a brief (point for, or a paragraph or two, that's all)plot run down on what happened to Doug while he was there, if that doesn't violate Lackey's Law.
Possible questions, hmmm...
What happens if Doug was to play "The Song That Never Ends" on a loop in his helmet? (April Fool's Edition, surely)
Where can I find official IST World merchandise/materials?
Is there an official IST World version of Doug?
Is Doug an author avatar?
That's all I can think of, right now.
Everyone who's contributed so far, thanks! That's a lot of good stuff to include, and with luck I might get started writing the page in the next couple days.
The rest of you, that doesn't mean stop, please go ahead and ask!

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Here's a few that I'll throw in.
Can I write Drunkard's Walk stories?
Can I use Warrior's characters in some story I'm writing?
How many licks does it take for Doug to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
What's the deal with Wetter Hexe being a god?
Do you accept artistic renderings of Doug's adventures or the characters he interacts with?
Can I be a prereader?
If Doug was a big furry animal, what kind would he be?
Shawn Earl
Just an FYI -- I've taken all the questions as of this morning and started writing answers. And additional questions, where they seem implied by existing ones.
Dunno when this'll actually get put on the site, but it will. In the mean time, keep those questions coming. And don't worry if you duplicate -- that just proves the "frequently" part of FAQ.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Just how powerful is Hexe?"There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets""There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets"
Do ballad songs trigger Doug's power, or are they safe?
MTA by Kingston Trio
The Alamo by Dean Martin
Guenivere out of the musical Camelot
They describe things that happened/are happenng.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Quote:
Do ballad songs trigger Doug's power, or are they safe?
Has any song ever automatically triggered Doug's power (is this possible?), or does it always take a conscious decision on his part?
Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Random power fluxes
If Doug hears a song he's heard before (and had a positive connection to, and therefore, has a power for it), does it trigger his power?
Imagine he goes to a *second* showing of Priss and the Replicants, and hears Konya wa Hurricane again. Does he automatically flood Tokyo with ten meters of water, or does he have to *will* his power to work for music to empower him?
FAQ question
Irresistable question #2 here:
What was Doug's first use of the power, and what happened? (Ie:What was his origin story?)
FAQ questions
What happens if Doug hears a song while he is unconciopus?
What is forcing a song? (explained in story, but still...)
What is mana, how does it arrise, how does it get tapped, can it be traced, etc....
Is there such a thing as counterspell or antimagic?
Can Doug suppress his power if he wants to, or are his powers always triggered if he hears a specific song.
What happens when doug starts listening in the middle of a song? Or if a part of the song starts looping?
What happens the first time Doug hears a song?
Does the same song in different languages have different powers?
What about a song in a language Doug can't understand?
What can and can't the chaos field surounding Doug do?
What came first the chicken or the egg? (Well it's frequently asked Smile )
How much control does Doug have over his powers?
If the Godzilla song (you know the one by the Blue Oyster Cult) didn't work in his magic poor homeplane, could it work on a more magic rich plane, or if he tapped a node?
When is the nex chapter/walk/whatever coming?
How can I help?
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Re: FAQ question
Quote:
What was Doug's first use of the power, and what happened? (Ie:What was his origin story?)
Actually, you'll find this out in chapter 15, but I'll include it in the FAQ anyway.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Oh, and more good questions, everyone -- definitely cut'n'paste time. Oh, and in case you're interested, I've been doing some answering in the last few days -- the FAQ plaintext file is 13K already.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
can you up it? Unlike a chapter of DW, the Faq is something that would be wonderful to see during any and all phases of it's existence.[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Okay, I'll post what I have in a separate thread. It's by no means complete, and it ain't prettified with HTML, but you'll get some of the answers, at least.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.