Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wonder....
I wonder....
... since Doug is such a music lover (besides getting powers from them)
I wonder if the doug ever learnt to play any musical instruments?
... and can he play and sing such that he'll get a power?-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Re: I wonder....
Other than an early-teen attempt to learn the guitar, no and no.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Have you tried an orcania. There are pendant oracnaias that can be played fairly easily. Songbird Orcania sells both pendant orcania, potato shaped ones, and a few other musical insturments.

At any rate, doe Doug get any powers from insturemental versions of songs? Say if someone played a MIDI of Konaya wa Hurricane.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Quote:
t any rate, doe Doug get any powers from insturemental versions of songs?
Bob, I think it's time to start a FAQ... Smile
To answer the question, no - Doug requires both music an lyrics, though a song with a long instrumental intro might fake him out if it was done sans vocals. But once the vocals were actually missing, it would shut down IIRC.
The same goes for a capella songs, thought I can't think of any "power" songs that start off just vocals and kick in the music later (e.g. "Renegade", by Styx).
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Quote:
Bob, I think it's time to start a FAQ... Smile
You know, you're right. Another task to put on the list for after Dreamation. But yes, definitely necessary. Hm. I think I'll solicit questions for the FAQ in a new topic, just so I don't miss anything.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
To answer the question, no - Doug requires both music an lyrics, though a song with a long instrumental intro might fake him out if it was done sans vocals. But once the vocals were actually missing, it would shut down IIRC.
The minute the words start. I can think of several songs that have a minute long insturmental start and then hit with the words.
I knew straight instrumental songs were safe, but I was unaware if the insturemental versions of normally vocal songs were.

The same goes for a capella songs, thought I can't think of any "power" songs that start off just vocals and kick in the music later (e.g. "Renegade", by Styx).

Understood.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Thank god he doesn't play an instrument or (I hope) write his own songs.
Can you imagine what kind of an abortion (to use my brother's term for stupid exploits in RPGS) that would be? He could come up with his own power songs.
Hell, for that matter, why didn't someone in WW pick up on the idea of HIRING people to write songs for Doug?
On another note, Bob, I'd drop that whole "no a capella" bit. It's too open to interpretation - for example, Streetnix (a rather well known a capella band) has a CD where they come up with fake musical instruments by "studioing" their voices to come up with guitars, etc.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
On another note, Bob, I'd drop that whole "no a capella" bit. It's too open to interpretation - for example, Streetnix (a rather well known a capella band) has a CD where they come up with fake musical instruments by "studioing" their voices to come up with guitars, etc.
... and Rockappella and Five O'Clock Shadow both have people who can do such good drums that you can't tell the difference...
----
----
Quote:
Can you imagine what kind of an abortion (to use my brother's term for stupid exploits in RPGS) that would be? He could come up with his own power songs.
Hell, for that matter, why didn't someone in WW pick up on the idea of HIRING people to write songs for Doug?
For precisely that reason -- it was a game setting to begin with after all. Several of the other players asked me why I didn't do that, and I said pretty much that it would make him too powerful if I could just "commission" powers.
If I really have to, I might come up with some handwaving about how the song has to be created independent of his own subconscious mind's participation, or it kind of cancels itself out -- which would prevent him from writing his own songs -- but I have yet to come up with a reasonable "in-world" explanation why he doesn't get people to write songs for him.
Quote:
Never heard of them, although it sounds like I'm going to go look for them soon... The Bobs do something like that on occasion, although without the studio tricks; the best example I can think of off the top of my head is their version of "White Room", even if it does sound like they're using kazoos here and there.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Bob Wrote:
B> For precisely that reason -- it was a game setting to begin
B> with after all. Several of the other players asked me why I
B> didn't do that, and I said pretty much that it would make
B> him too powerful if I could just "commission" powers.
Well in game there's a fine mechanic to deal with that issue (inventing points) so that's not a real problem.
I belive that the issue is two fold: First and foremost, there's a huge volume of songs available, why bother? Second, there's Dougs subconscious, which is a messy beast let me assure you as a telepath who's been there. The subconcious isn't going to let go of the fact that this was a commisioned song... It's going to feel _faker_ and not as powerfull no matter what the song ultimately is like becuase of that.
It's been my impression that Dougs powers are wild and dangerous, so playing games like this is something that's only to be done in the most grave of situations, and usually, there's a host of other Warriors on hand to make sure that only the bad guys are having grave situations Smile

Skitz - Having a Seezar moment.
Quote:
It's going to feel _faker_ and not as powerfull no matter what the song ultimately is like becuase of that.
Yes, exactly -- that was another of the considerations, that somehow a song "written to order" wouldn't have the necessary intangible something that a song that came out of personal inspiration would have. And yes, although we never quantified anything like that (because we never needed to), I'd agree, it would be less poweful, because the inspiration wasn't pure. If that makes sense at all to any of the non-Warriors out there.
Quote:
It's been my impression that Dougs powers are wild and dangerous,
Less so in recent years (meaning since around 1990); it might be because he's getting older and better at controlling it, or because we're getting lazy as gamers.
Quote:
so playing games like this is something that's only to be done in the most grave of situations,
Oh, yeah, like the crystal radio earplug for emergencies. That was a real good idea, hoo boy. Right up there with "I'll ambush Dwimanor to audition for the Warrirors!".
Quote:
Skitz - Having a Seezar moment.
Seezar's the yellow bastard, ain't he? What's he running from now?

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Bob Wrote:
B> Seezar's the yellow bastard, ain't he? What's he running
B> from now?
You're thinking of Lereaux, the coward who first died in 1916. No Seezar's first life ended in the early 1940's, though both of them died in Russia. No Seezar is the only personality of Skitz to have killed so far this lifetime; he did in some pilots who were shooting at the jet: Seezar's a bit cold, you know? Lereaux doesn't like him one tiny bit, but most of skitz finds something to admire in there: I know Hexe is usually glad when Seezar shows up in a fight.

Skitz.
I knew I was getting confused... but then again, that's an occupational hazard around Skitz... Also it doesn't help that I've never seen your spellings for his names before; they conflict with the ones that have been in my head for decades...

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Bob Wrote:
I'd agree, it would be less poweful, because the inspiration wasn't pure. If that makes sense at all to any of the non-Warriors out there.
hmm i suppose its a little like using less powerful or concentrated mana when casting a spell?
Bob:
B> I knew I was getting confused... but then again, that's an
B> occupational hazard around Skitz...
Heh.
B> Also it doesn't help that I've never seen your spellings for
B> his names before; they conflict with the ones that have
B> been in my head for decades...
My spelling has always been... Creative. Smile I ought to get a short list of who's who in Skitz (along with my rendition of the names) and get it to you. (Or possibly post it here?)
What I'm upset at not having played up in game is what it should be like for those telepathed in when Skitz's personalities are fighting to come to the foreground: there's a brief burst of some thirteen people arguing, cajoling, shouting, yelling and geneerally struggling before a new personality settles in, all brought on by the stress of impending combat...

Skitz
O_O a character with MPD? interesting... the closest i have ever gotten to a player like that was this vampire who had a hand puppet..... that hand puppet had a freaking life of its own, had alliances with werewolves and nearly got the coterie killed on several occasions....
Quote:
I ought to get a short list of who's who in Skitz (along with my rendition of the names) and get it to you. (Or possibly post it here?)
If you wish. I'm sure the readers of DW would be very interested. For all I know it just might start a groundswell of support for a guest appearance in the next Step. (Simulacrum song, for those who are curious, is Napoleon XIV's "Split Level Head"... )
I may already have a copy of the list in the Big GM Binder for the campaign -- I don't think I've ever looked.
Quote:
What I'm upset at not having played up in game is what it should be like for those telepathed in when Skitz's personalities are fighting to come to the foreground:
I'll have to remember that when we play next. Which reminds me -- we need to network offline with everyone and schedule the next game.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Quote:
O_O a character with MPD?
Oh, yeah. Skitz reincarnates, and brings along every person he ever was with him. Every incarnation that reaches 21 years old gets a new power, too... Skitz is quite... versatile. (Yes, John, I know I've oversimplified.)
Quote:
the closest i have ever gotten to a player like that was this vampire who had a hand puppet.....
Malkavian, I presume...

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
MPD's
Heh. I played a character with an MPD in a D&D game once. (Not AD&D, before they unified the systems - the one with Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortals.)
In that version, thieves had some nifty abilities - with "the Master" expansion, they introduced weapon mastery, so even a thief could be amazing with a sword. Thiefs could wear heavier armour, but lost their skills. They could read from a scroll (with an 80% chance of success) like a mage.
So, when we needed a "filler" character in a Companion campaign (levels 9-18), I built "Ric."
Ric specialized in whips as his main weapon (he had Whips of Elongation, which could turn into ropes). He had some Leather Armour of Personalized Illusion (made his armour look like other clothing). He also had a "magic book" which provided him with a random scroll upon opening it.
Ric had...issues, shall we say. He had numerous personalities - a swashbuckling rogue who loved to swing through the air on his whips; a paladin who was little more than a parody of the class (to the irritation of Marek, our real paladin); a mage who thought it was glamour that was more important than the effect; an elf (I believe Ric was under a death sentence in Alfheim, at one point); a dwarf (did I mention Ric was 6'0"?); and whatever else I thought up for that session. He was also afraid of rabbits, halflings, and a strange creature named "Jim" who he insisted was stalking him.
Big Grin--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Custom Powers
Didn't Bob mention, at one point, here on the fora, that at some point various artists (Madonna, Paul Simon, I forget who) had a friendly under-the-table competition going, to see who could get their songs onto Doug's 'useful' playlist?
Heck, if it got publicized that he used them, it'd be a major publicity boost for said artist...
Bob Wrote:
B> Oh, yeah. Skitz reincarnates, and brings along every
B> person he ever was with him. Every incarnation that
B> reaches 21 years old gets a new power, too... Skitz is
B> quite... versatile. (Yes, John, I know I've oversimplified.)
What happened is that my first life that I remember was back in Hellenic Greece. I lived well, did heroic deeds and generally had a good life taking advantage of my somewhat special powers (nothing earth shaking really). But when I died, instead of meeting the ferryman, or anything even vaguely similar, I recall, once everything had gone black feeling my head being squeezed intensely and I was suddenly cold... I was being born all over again, a babe exiting his mothers womb. I don't recall much of that life, just that sensation stuck with me. I lived a short life, unable to affect the person whose body I was in, observing what was going on, but nothing more. I nearly became convinced I was damned, when the child died young and I was born in another babe. I'd have gone mad, perhaps I have, but there needs to be something in the brain I think for true madness to take hold.
For Ages, I'd be born, live a short time, and die, all while watching, unable to do anything. But finally, long since after I'd given up counting how many times this happened, one of the people I was with lived past the age of 21. This person discovered that they had powers beyond other men. I recognized them, some of it was _my_ old power, but there was something new here. I watched as he/I experimented with his/our new abilities. Once we got in a fight: there was a moment of weakness: the personality had lost his grip on who was dominant and I came back into conscious control of a living body for the first time in centuries. It was totally exhilarating. Imagine being freed from purgatory. I reveled in my newfound freedom and vanquished my foes, determined to hold onto this consciousness for as long as possible.
That lasted until my next fight: in getting worked up for a fight, I found the other personality coming back. I struggled but he gained the upper hand. Fortunately he fought just as hard. Eventually we found out that we were sharing this body.
Finally, as all lives must, we died. I had told my other self what had happened to me, so he wasn't quite unprepared, but really being born once is tough enough. Potty training, gas pain, village bullies, these are things you shouldn't have to experience once you've become an adult. But we sat through it. Life after life. Sometimes we'd be born, feel odd, cold or abused, and die again, born several times all in the same day.
Eventually, we lived longer. My old powers came out. So did the one that was there the last time I could command a body, and yet a third. I clawed my way to consciousness as soon as a fight broke out and once again I celebrated, fought and made my sacrifices to the gods. The next fight, instead of swapping back with the current resident, my old friend from the second life was out. That's how I found out that anyone I swap with will come along with me on my journey.
There quite a few of us now. Thank the gods for lowered infant mortality rates, I've seldom been dieing in between lives anymore. And the set of powers we've developed, well we can shake the world until our enemies tremble before us. The gods fight by my side now, and the tales of my heroic deeds are sung the world around. Should some evil doer manage to kill me: you'd better hope you don't live another 21 years, because I'll be back and I'll be stronger than ever.

Skua as Skitz.
Re: MPD's
Quote:
Ric had...issues, shall we say. He had numerous personalities - a swashbuckling rogue who loved to swing through the air on his whips; a paladin who was little more than a parody of the class (to the irritation of Marek, our real paladin); a mage who thought it was glamour that was more important than the effect; an elf (I believe Ric was under a death sentence in Alfheim, at one point); a dwarf (did I mention Ric was 6'0"?); and whatever else I thought up for that session. He was also afraid of rabbits, halflings, and a strange creature named "Jim" who he insisted was stalking him.
Hey, Chris, you want to game with us? You sound like our kind of guy.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Re: Custom Powers
Quote:
Didn't Bob mention, at one point, here on the fora, that at some point various artists (Madonna, Paul Simon, I forget who) had a friendly under-the-table competition going, to see who could get their songs onto Doug's 'useful' playlist?
It's the Warriors' World versions of Andrew Lloyd-Webber and Jim Steinman with the running competition. Doug is an old friend of Madonna's, dating back to before either of them were famous (it was a welcome relief when, in 1988, he could go to her and say "this is why I never saw one of your shows"), and she throws him prerelease copies of her albums for (among others) the reason that she might get some press out of him using one of her songs.
Quote:
Heck, if it got publicized that he used them, it'd be a major publicity boost for said artist...
Which is what Madonna counts on.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Re: MPD's
Quote:
a strange creature named "Jim" who he insisted was stalking him.
"Dinsdale!"
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large