Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking For A Little Input

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Okay, now we're getting silly.

No, if I was getting silly, I'd have pointed out that Gokuu's uber attack in Dragonball Z is the name of the last king of Hawai'i.

Kame...Hame...Haaaaaaa!

If I were REALLY getting silly, I would have suggested:

Sala-gadoola-menchicka-boo-la
Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo
Put 'em together and what have you got
Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I, who stand in the full light of the heavens
command thee who opens the gates of hell
come forth, divine lightning!
This ends now!
INDIGNATION!

Jade's bonus mystic arte - Tales of the Abyss

http://www.youtube.com/wa...2xpc&feature=related - in-game english version

http://www.youtube.com/wa...K1n4&feature=related - Japanese version from anime (much better in my opinion)

Bob, what do you expect from a bunch of nut jobs like us? When you ask for help, we'll first exhaust our personal libraries of epic-awesome, then we'll
kick the silliness into high-gear. (^_^)

The Night's watch other From A Song of Ice and Fire:

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no
crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the
cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's
Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Hm. The question was raised in an offline discussion: Do any of the various Pretty Cure incarnations have oaths/boasts/spells/whatnot along these lines?

Thanks.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Do any of the various Pretty Cure incarnations have oaths/boasts/spells/whatnot along these lines?
Don't know myself, but I just sent an email to Galen Musbach (owner of the Magical Girl Academy website) asking...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Oh, cool. Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

And I just got a reply. My questions in quoted monospace, Galen's reply in monospace:

Quote:This came up in a webforum I read: Do any of the various Pretty Cure incarnations have oaths/boasts/spells/whatnot along the lines of the sentai pre-battle speeches? If they do, what are they?

for example:
Transformation sequence:

"Dual Aura Wave!
Black Thunder!
White Thunder!
Emissary of Light, Cure Black!
Emissary of Light, Cure White!
Together, we are PreCure!
Servant of the Dark Power:
Return to the shadows!"

Attack sequence:

"Black Thunder!
White Thunder!
The beautiful souls of PreCure
will eliminate dark hearts!
PreCure Marble Screw!"

Quote:(For that matter, are there any other memorable sentai-style pre-battle speeches out there? They can be stirring, or they can be silly - they just have to be memorable...)

Cutey Honey comes immediately to mind.

Ka ... Mi ... Chu!

Dokkoida (The heroes "Shout out" to their sponsor)

Angelic Layer, with the Angel Entry sequence?

Ichigo of Tokyo Mew Mew has some kind of catchy speech,
I can look it up if it's important.

"A rescue signal to the weak,
a warning signal to the wicked;
I am Twin Signal!"

Virtua Fighter:
"A man should never harm others;
nor oneself, in the [somethiing] of anger.
My Creed!
And it is the Law of my Masters.
But it doesn't apply to creeps like you who have no discipline."

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I hold no enmity against those coerced into evil. But to those vile beings who toy with the hearts and souls of men... we,
since the time of ancient gods, have been your destroyers. Now, the 108th generation Devil Hunter, Yohko, is here! Beware!

--Sam

"Egad! Too much anatomy!"

Thanks, Rob!

And that's a good one, Sam. I should have remembered that myself.
-- Bob
---------

Okay, if it helps, I have some developments that might provide some clarification/guidance when it comes to the kind of thing I'm looking for. I would like
anything that has to do with contracts/agreements/oaths of duty and/or sunrise.
-- Bob
---------

There's always the various versions of Darkwing Duck's "I am the Shadow that flaps in the night!" speeches.

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Okay, if it helps, I have some developments that might provide some clarification/guidance when it comes to the kind of thing I'm looking for. I would
like anything that has to do with contracts/agreements/oaths of duty and/or sunrise.

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty To God and my country And to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

Probably not what you were looking for, but it's probably one that Doug's at least heard before.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

There's a couple of versions of this in the existing Twelve Treasures books, the first line is different depending on the oath:

My company until you've got him back for your promise after you do
Silver and Gold to seal it, air and earth to know it.

Both accompanied by the gift of a gold and silver ring from the one speaking to the other participant. The above oath is also released at the end of The Cloak of Night and Daggers.

I take back what I gave and give back what I took
Silver and Gold unbind it, air and earth forget it

--

Uncle Ed's Rule of Thumb:

Never use your thumb for a rule. You'll either hit it with a
hammer or get a splinter in it.

I was digging about in the quotefile, and for the life of me I can't remember where this one came from, but....

In olden times, there was no greater crime than an oathbreaker, for oaths were a solemn and rarely given bond. Of trust. Of
honesty. Of basic human accord. And though we have since moved on to more modern times which acknowledge that sometimes one can only do what they are capable
of and no more, there are still those who walk among us in whom the blood of the old days still flows. Who remember, in their heart of hearts, when an oath
meant death before betrayal of its spirit, not just its words. Those whose word is their bond, and who consider every promise as binding as any warrior to his
lord.

Beware those men who swear to serve their master, for an oath truly given is stronger than any fanaticism, and more binding than any coin.

But beware even more those who swear an oath not to one man, but many. For there is no greater dishonor than to fail in front of one's lord, and they have
a great many such watchers for whom the value of their honor and fealty is ever weighed.

Also, similarly unattributed, though I think it was from an In Nomine fic somewhere....

Fate and Destiny are two sides of the same coin. Free Will is when it keeps landing on edges, just to flip the bird to
both.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Quote: OpMegs wrote:

Also, similarly unattributed, though I think it was from an In Nomine fic somewhere....

Fate and Destiny are two sides of the same coin. Free Will is when it keeps landing on edges, just to flip the bird to
both.
Oh, that is so very awesome.

Oh yeah, nice one.

And again, thanks for all the continued suggestions. Some are definitely in play for what I have in mind. (Which ones? Sorry, that would be telling.)
-- Bob
---------

Oh, And who can forget this classic?

"Decepticon assasination attempt, give me Sight BEYOND sight!"

Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Quote: Star Ranger4 wrote:

Oh, And who can forget this classic?

"Decepticon assasination attempt, give me Sight BEYOND sight!"

*nearly sprays melon soda all over his keyboard*

The hell!?

PC Hammer. Not sure which one he used it in, thought it was Girl who knew too much...

NO QUARTER!!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Now I remember. I think that was a snark from his character about how ever since he got sniped by Megatron his vision was better than ever.

More than that. Yea, becoming part autobot helped his eyesight which was failing due to just plain getting old, but in this particular case he was involking one of the Rotofoil's vision enhance modes.

NO QUARTER!!!

With The Hammer that sort of thing's a given. A pronouncement like that is always swiftly followed by a suitable (or sometimes illsuited) action.

Probably submitted ever since the first trailer came into play, but from Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen:

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." - Optimus Prime
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Adblurb for a game called Obsidian (strange game, not very great, puzzles are far too comlex), and one that I think will become one of my character's
ongoing mantras when confronting the villain du jor:

"Your rules do not apply here."