Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mary Melodies
Mary Melodies
Extracted from http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/8251]a thread in The Game Everybody Loves to Play:
Foxboy Wrote:Marie Sangnoir awoke from her transit shock and spit a curse at all deities great and small, especially the representatives of the Gaffer, Father and Son. Just because she'd refused to bow and scrape to Donner like that flighty ditz Keiko Morisato...

Well, admittedly she HAD thought Magni was adorable in the helpless geek way most modern "Son" avatars took. If only he'd been just a little older.

But back to why she was cursing.

Yes, the local reality allowed magic. Yes, there was a Node nearby; however, it was tapped by powerful Craft. What ultimately irked Marie, though, were the apparently sentient equines in rationality-denying pastel hues.

She removed her helmet and placed it in the panniers on the sleek scooter she'd built worlds ago. She kept an eye out for the ponies she'd spotted, and grabbed her stylish headphones. 'After what happened to Lemuel,' she thought, 'I'm not about to underestimate intelligent horses anytime soon.'

She waited until a likely Houyhnhnm drifted her way. Luckily, the crude grass poppet she'd crafted allowed her to make an attempt at blending in. Firmly holding in mind the effect she desired, she tapped a few keys to power on the magitek amplifier.

"System: load America -- 'A Horse With No Name.' Play song." The music swirled in her ears an as the lyrics took hold and she took a spirit form. Once a spirit, she dove into the approaching pink pegasus and possessed her.

Wind Whistler staggered under the mystic assault and ultimately bowed to the foreign presence within.

Marie rummaged through her host's memories.

"Rainbow of... Light," Marie surprised herself by realizing that the locals could facepalm, or more accurately, facehoof. "Right. I'll just take it from this Megan and use it to get home to Mikey."

She cantered towards Paradise Estate, humming "Working my Way Back to You."

robkelk Wrote:You realize, of course, that we're going to have to start a "Marie Melodies" thread now.

(I suspect Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" would be her mind-control song of choice at parties or clubs... or other people's wedding receptions.)

Evil Midnight Lurker Wrote:The poor woman will be very embarrassed when she's utterly owned by a ten-year-old girl and her pony army (cavalry?).  Who then help her on her way anyway, under the impression that they've taught her a lesson of some sort...   Smile

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I don't recognize the reference, although from random bits and pieces I've picked up from pop culture at large I'll guess the latest incarnation of "My Pretty Pony"?

And Marie Sangnoir is an evil concept, one that I wish I'd come up with. And don't think I haven't noticed all the other inversions in that passage! (Although I should note that the counterparts to Maiden/Warrior/Mother/Crone are Rover/Guardian/Hunter/Guide.)

Foxboy Wrote:Bob, it's the ORIGINAL My Little Pony from the 80s. The series had a good deal of dark potential that was never tapped. Seriously a good degree of nightmare fuel if the kids who watched it were aware enough: "those are bad guys 'cause they're dark purple" rather than "Those are bad guys cause they're stealing souls!"

And thanks! I'm great at vignettes; it's making it coherent that's the problem. Wink

Mark Skarr Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:And Marie Sangnoir is an evil concept, one that I wish I'd come up with. And don't think I haven't noticed all the other inversions in that passage! (Although I should note that the counterparts to Maiden/Warrior/Mother/Crone are Rover/Guardian/Hunter/Guide.)
Call me cooky, but shouldn't it be "Mary Sangnoir?"  Then she could be Mary Mellodies, instead of Marie.

"Mary" does scan better than "Marie" there, yes...

So, I assume Mary is a member of the Praetorians back in her home dimension... Who else is on that team?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

A few NanoSteps for Mary:

Quote:She bared his teeth in what I suppose was intended as a grin, but which looked more like the rictus of death. "My name is Quincy, Susan Mary Quincy. As in Mary Sue Sangnoir. I am the chairman of GENOM and I am, to put it bluntly, your creator."

I grabbed her by the throat. Advice from the Fright Knights to let her live be damned – nobody called me "Mary Sue" and lived.
(For those not up on their arcane BGC trivia, "Fright Knights" was the early working name for the Knight Sabers.)

Quote:Sana was chattering at full tilt again. "Mary here saved me, she's a martial artist like me, did you see her? Mary, this is Ray, he's my lover and my pimp!"

I raised an eyebrow. "Really? How much for an evening with the kid?"

Watching Ray squirm instead of answering me was priceless. I wonder what I would have done if he had answered me right away, though.

Quote:"Hello, class. My name is Mary Sangnoir. I did my research before taking this job, and I wouldn't have taken it if I didn't see the potential you all have. Now, despite what my contract says, I will not be attempting to rein in your usual tendencies. Instead, I'll be teaching you the proper ways to channel your efforts so that they're far more effective than you can imagine right now. And I will be testing on what I teach you, so pay attention unless you want to spend an extra year here at St. Trinian's."

Quote:"So, what's with all the androids?"

"They never say 'no,' and you don't have to worry about getting pregnant. Word to the wise, girlfriend," Noelle Scott winked. Or leered. I was having trouble telling the difference with her.
(What, you didn't think I would leave Fenspace out of the fun, did you?)
--
Rob Kelk

BTW: are we gender-reversing and alter-versing everything she runs into?

If we want to reign her in from 'Villain' to 'Anti-hero' we can always have her run into Raven. Probably like her enough to take her on as one of his agents (because 'servitor' is such a dirty word Wink. Although she'll probably wind up meeting the 'Angry' version of Zeke since we seem to be using alter-verse versions...

So since we seem to be on it anyhow...

Quote:The calm before the storm. That was the sense that I got as I woke up. I'm anything but stupid, so I pretend that I'm still asleep and wait for this foreboding presence to pass.

"You can quit pretending now, child" said the voice of a young man - however, there was something in that voice that sent chills down my spine. "I can tell that you're wide awake. Sit up and look me in the eyes."

I couldn't help myself - there was a force behind that voice that was compelling. When I saw him, he at first looked like any other school boy - he wore a scarlet sports jacket, complete with a white collared button-down shirt and matching scarlet tie, and scarlet slacks to complete the ensemble. A thick mop of black hair topped a narrow face with high cheekbones... and black-within-black eyes that, despite all reason, frightened me more than anything else. And the markings - it was as though a tattoo artist had gone out of his way to perfectly balance intimidation with aesthetics using a tribal decoration.

"I am Raven," said the boy. "I am but one of many Gods of Chaos, and I am speaking to you through my avatar, who will introduce himself shortly. You, Miss Sangnoir, are on a journey that has been aimless. I would like to rectify that, so long as you prove yourself worthy of being one of my special agents." And then he did the most terrifying thing he could have done: he smiled.

Not EVERYTHING... well beyond whatever Mary/Marie does on her Stroll. the 1980s My Little Pony and Gulliver's Travels steps were originally canon.

I picture Mary/Marie herself as one of those typical California Girls as far as appearance goes. She awoke her Gift to something less destructive than "Light my Fire" .... say, Frank Zappa's "Valley Girl," and immediately began to search out those of the crystal waving set who were more than delusional.

For what it's worth, if her powers worked exactly the same as Doug's, "Valley Girl" would summon a simulacra of her High School "BFF" in the latest teenager trendy outfit as appropriate for the setting. I'm seeing Mary as being actually able to cast "properly" using appropriate music as a power boost. Frex, she could cast a proper scrying spell while playing the definitive "Lightning's Hand" recording to make a computer monitor into a scrying surface. On the other hand, Mary lacks the Chaos defenses Doug has, making her a bit "crunchier."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

If you really want her codename to be Merry Melodies, then you could also use Meredith as her first name. Merry is a variant form of Meredith.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Shepherd Wrote:If you really want her codename to be Merry Melodies, then you could also use Meredith as her first name. Merry is a variant form of Meredith.
I had an amusing image of Mary's first superhero debut where the villain misunderstands her name and shouts out "So let me get this straight. I'm being attacked by a superhero who gets her powers from MARRIAGE MUSIC?!"

WengFook Wrote:
Shepherd Wrote:If you really want her codename to be Merry Melodies, then you could also use Meredith as her first name. Merry is a variant form of Meredith.
I had an amusing image of Mary's first superhero debut where the villain misunderstands her name and shouts out "So let me get this straight. I'm being attacked by a superhero who gets her powers from MARRIAGE MUSIC?!"
Bet it was that villain's last battle in his/her career.  Wink

blackaeronaut Wrote:BTW: are we gender-reversing and alter-versing everything she runs into?

Not everything - I left Kodocha and St. Trinian's untouched, for example. Just when it's funny (e.g. Noelle Scott), or necessary to the plot (e.g. Sue Quincy)

blackaeronaut Wrote:If we want to reign her in from 'Villain' to 'Anti-hero' we can always have her run into Raven. Probably like her enough to take her on as one of his agents (because 'servitor' is such a dirty word Wink. Although she'll probably wind up meeting the 'Angry' version of Zeke since we seem to be using alter-verse versions...

Sounds good to me. Of course, there's no way that Bob will have time to write any of this...

WengFook Wrote:I had an amusing image of Mary's first superhero debut where the villain misunderstands her name and shouts out "So let me get this straight. I'm being attacked by a superhero who gets her powers from MARRIAGE MUSIC?!"

Which, of course, means that Mary's "magical-girl" Step isn't in a Sailor Moon alternate...

"It wasn't that hard to find you. If you wanted your identities to remain secret, you shouldn't have picked English translations of your names for your meta-identities. Come on, who wouldn't wonder whether Momoko was Wedding Peach? Now be good little girls and let me deliver the Sacred Four... whatever they are... to the demons so they can help me leave this universe."
--
Rob Kelk

The code name has to be different, for "legal reasons".

It's exactly the same reason that Doug's code name is "Looney Tunes", not "Looney Toons"...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Mary Jane Sangnoir
Oh, no... not "Jane". "Sue". It must be Mary Sue Sangnoir.
Quote:Of course, there's no way that Bob will have time to write any of this...
Me, write this? I thought this was going to be a community goof/project!
Quote:It's exactly the same reason that Doug's code name is "Looney Tunes", not "Looney Toons"...
Actually, it's the other way around. "Tunes" is the trademark, "Toons" is what Doug uses.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, no... not "Jane". "Sue". It must be Mary Sue Sangnoir.
Yes, of course... Silly me. I'll edit the earlier post to fix this.
Quote:Actually, it's the other way around. "Tunes" is the trademark, "Toons" is what Doug uses.
D'oh!
--
Rob Kelk

And of course, to maintain the "tweaking the tropes" element, Mary almost has to be disliked by most of the canon crew and find herself shuffled off to the side if she doesn't side with the villains to get out of the universe she's in.

While she may be named Mary Sue... *is bethwapped* ... She's at best an Annoying New Character. For example: her Azumanga Dai-Oh! "stride" would have her be the Foreigner that Yukari-sensei shows off her English on, and dealing with Kimura-sensei while he has Kaorin in his home room. Thus, never REALLY being exposed to the main girls, just hearing about their antics.

Hmm. Dark prankster of the "everything ultimately works out for the best but you wanna strangle her along the way" type?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I love being the Muse of Deep Left Field. [Image: smallbiggrin.gif]
--Sam
"How the hell did I do that?"

Point of Order! Marie works just as well for shortening to Mary, and better fits the Douglas -> Doug shortening as well as better keeping the whole french descent feel
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I may simply be oblivious, but why must the given name of Mary Melodies be Mary or Marie or similar? "Douglas" doesn't map to anything in "Looney Toons", after all.

Well, I personally like the idea of her being Mary Sue, simply because Doug isn't.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Star Ranger4 Wrote:Point of Order! Marie works just as well for shortening to Mary, and better fits the Douglas -> Doug shortening as well as better keeping the whole french descent feel
Appeal Decision to the Chair.
Actually, at that point, Meredith works better than Marie.  Most people don't shorten Marie any further as it's already a short/shortened name.  Also Marie and Mary have the same number of syllables, so you're not really shortening anything, just changing pronunciation.  And "Mary Sue Sangnoir" is much better than "Marie Sue Sangnoir."

I don't necessarily think that Mary needs to be evil, just have a differently-pointing moral compass.  She still wants to help people, but in her way, not necessarily the way they want to be helped.

Quote:I had my feet up on the table and one of those nasty beers Misato liked open next to me.  I’d only gotten a few sips in when Shinji came out of his room.  He noticed me and stopped, just staring at me from the hall.  Even though the only light in the living room was that seeping in from behind him, it was pretty obvious that I was only in a towel.

“Misato’s out for the night,” I explained.  “That just leaves us.”  Shinji turned around to go.  I could tell he didn’t like being around me.  That would never do.  “You’re not going to run away, are you?”  I stressed the words, knowing they’d get to him.  I could see him ball up his fists and lower his head.  He had probably started chanting his internal mantra.

I got up, straightening my towel and walked toward him.  “Ikari Shinji, you’re a coward.  You’re a tiny, cowardly, scared little boy.”  I could practically see the flush in his cheeks cause him to begin glowing from humiliation and embarrassment.  “That will never do.”  I let my towel drop and put my hands on his shoulders.  “Shinji, you and Asuka need the same thing.”  I ran my hands down from his shoulders, across his chest until I was embracing him—pressing my breasts into his back.  “Right now you’re a little boy, but in the morning, you’ll be a man.” 

Mark Skarr Wrote:I don't necessarily think that Mary needs to be evil, just have a differently-pointing moral compass.  She still wants to help people, but in her way, not necessarily the way they want to be helped.

Quote:I had my feet up on the table and one of those nasty beers Misato liked open next to me.  I’d only gotten a few sips in when Shinji came out of his room.  He noticed me and stopped, just staring at me from the hall.  Even though the only light in the living room was that seeping in from behind him, it was pretty obvious that I was only in a towel.

“Misato’s out for the night,” I explained.  “That just leaves us.”  Shinji turned around to go.  I could tell he didn’t like being around me.  That would never do.  “You’re not going to run away, are you?”  I stressed the words, knowing they’d get to him.  I could see him ball up his fists and lower his head.  He had probably started chanting his internal mantra.

I got up, straightening my towel and walked toward him.  “Ikari Shinji, you’re a coward.  You’re a tiny, cowardly, scared little boy.”  I could practically see the flush in his cheeks cause him to begin glowing from humiliation and embarrassment.  “That will never do.”  I let my towel drop and put my hands on his shoulders.  “Shinji, you and Asuka need the same thing.”  I ran my hands down from his shoulders, across his chest until I was embracing him—pressing my breasts into his back.  “Right now you’re a little boy, but in the morning, you’ll be a man.” 
Of course, the rule of funny must also apply here.  Cue Asuka, Rei, Mana, Mari, and Hikari all suddenly piling into the apartment.  With all those involved, the excuse can be any damn thing you think of off the top of your head and it would stick.  Bonus points if she's got Shinji down to his skivvies and frantically running from her.  Although she can probably turn this to her advantage if she can summon some sort of instant bondage.

blackaeronaut Wrote:Although she can probably turn this to her advantage if she can summon some sort of instant bondage.
"System. Chain of Fools. Play."
--
Rob Kelk

I don't know that the Rule of Funny must apply.  She's a Mary Sue, and as such, she should be successful.  And, Mary Sues hop into bed with characters they shouldn't, because, well, they're Mary Sues (not that it wouldn't be good for Shinji.  He's in more dire need of a [deleted for public decency]).  I think that worlds should be better off once she leaves, in spite of her actions, if necessary. 
The scene I hobbled together could be played either straight (she's genuine in wanting to help him, it's just the only way she can think to make him a man) or funny (Asuka bursts in and they compete for Shinji's affection . . . badly).  There is a third option which I won't post since it's pretty much obvious with me being a pervert and all . . ..
ETA:  Part of that, I'm sure, is just me.  I'm all for "absurdly silly for the sake of silly" but I'm not a fan of "absurdly silly for the sake of silly in an otherwise serious situation."  If a character is a goofball, in a serious story, that's fine (that's me: I'm the goofball); but making a scene absurd to ease tension grates on my nerves.  I despise sitcoms.

Mark Skarr Wrote:(she's genuine in wanting to help him, it's just the only way she can think to make him a man)

Sounds just like Misato

Quote:Or funny (Asuka bursts in and they compete for Shinji's affection . . . badly)

Which would also fit the Eva mood. And subvert it. Instead of going lighthearted to disturbing, goes from mildly disturbing to lighthearted rom-com.

Quote:There is a third option which I won't post since it's pretty much obvious with me being a pervert and all . . ..

Tongue~

I don't think it takes it to a more disturbing place than Eva was already--this is a messed up show (it's not Bokurano, but still).  He has massive sexual tension issues (masturbating over Asuka's comatose form . . .?).  And, I agree that Misato wants to help Shinji.  Mary's point would be to help Shinji whether or not he wants her solution.  If Misato isn't going to do what's necessary . . . she will.  Dealing with Asuka's pent up sexual frustration will probably be less effective . . . until she corrupts Kaji into helping out.
And, at no point do I doubt that Gendo wouldn't put Mary up to something like that to try to [censored] a backbone into the boy.
ETA:  I'm not advocating that we write out Mary making Shinji a man (though, as a pervert, I'm won't shy away if the scene appears relevant to the story).  Simply fading to black, leaving the actual deed implied, is fine by me.  Simply referencing Shinji's sunken eyed, bruised, staggering frame the next morning would be sufficient.

(Quoting is "borked" for me at the moment.)  There's always this way to end the scene, with neither absurdity nor obscenity.

I continued running my hands down his chest to his hips and
gripped the hem of his t-shirt and began lifting it.

“Please, Mary,” Shinji croaked.  “Stop. 
Please.”

I pulled the shirt off of him without saying a word then
kissed the hollow of his neck.  “Trust
me,” I purred.  “In the morning, you’ll
be glad we did this.”

“Mary, I—“ 

The sound of keys in the lock at the door made me straighten
up and look back.  My arms no longer
restraining him, Shinji took the moment to walk away.  I frowned a bit, and saw him go back into his
room.  The door flew open and Asuka
stormed in.  She hadn’t noticed me, so I
pulled Shinji’s t-shirt on.  It was too
short, and very snug, but it was . . . appropriate.

“Evening not go as you planned, Asuka-chan?”  I left the purr in my voice I had just used
on Shinji.

“No, the movie was stupid . . .”  She finally noticed the state of my
attire.  “Why are you wearing Shinji’s
shirt?”

I gave her a seductive smile and reached down to pick up my
towel.  “Because I left this in here.”  Asuka’s cute little jaw dropped as I stood
back up.  “Well, good night, dear.”  I kissed my fingers and blew it to
Asuka.  I turned and headed back to my
room.  That should stir her up a
bit.  Maybe I just killed two birds with
one stone . . ..

And now for something completely different...

These people make no sense. They're illogical, irrational, and... well, insane. I don't think that way. I can't think that way.

But I remember meeting somebody who can.

The song was playing, and I was letting the lyrics take control of my metatalent.

"...Never know what you'll find,
Don't understand your kind
'round here.
Watching your moves, they look so radical,
Hearing your words, they sound fanatical,
Something inside reveals you're magical ..."

And the simulacrum finally came into existence. Took it long enough.

"Hello, Mary."

"Hello, Doug."

(I heard "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAxlmdTJ7S8]Strange Animal" while listening to some older Gowan albums, and thought "power song!" Then I realized whose simulacrum it would call into existence, and thought "why would Doug need to create a copy of himself?" So I put it on the back burner. Then I heard the song again today, and remembered Mary...)
--
Rob Kelk