Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Doug's metagift.
Question about Doug's metagift.
Yesterday, I went to see a group of people, along with two smaller groups, performing and during it, I thought of Doug's talent.
Would his talent even recognize it as music, since there are no insturments?
Barbershop Quartets
There was the main feature was of the Barbershop Harmony Chours of our area: About thirty men who had three or four quartet sub groups
There were also two guest Barbershop Quartets.  One being District Silver Medalists and the others being International Champion.

If you wish to hear one of the groups I heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAeMOHlaVl4
Here's their site:
http://www.vocalspectrum.com/
Class Ring was the other guest group.
As I asked, would Doug's talent recognize it as music and act upon it, or because it is just men singing without insturments, it would be safe to listen to?
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

According to the FAQ, a capella music is safe for Doug to listen to:
Quote:He needs, at the very minimum, a single instrument playing a recognizable melody, and a single voice singing to that melody in a language he understands.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Thanks for catching that, Rob, while I was briefly offline.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

What happens if a song starts a capella, and instruments come in partway through?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

I think this was hashed out once... in short the power section of the song doesnt kick in until the intruments do
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

It'd be like tuning in partway through a song -- something that's been done in-game when Doug turned to a radio in a moment of desperation. As soon as the song is "recognized", the power kicks in, and it ends normally.
-- Bob
---------

Ah, ok.

On a related note, I'm sure this has come up before, but what happens with filksongs, and other songs that have the same instrumentation, but different lyrics? Would the first time that Doug hears the variant have the power for the original kick in as he mistakenly 'recognizes' it, until the lyrics begin, causing the power to stop? Also, from then on, would both songs have a decreased duration, as he would need to wait for the lyrics to be sure which song it is, instead of recognizing it from the instrumental part from the get-go?
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

That's a good question, and one I'd have to to think about a bit. But I'd suggest that trying to fool Doug's metagift like that would probably end up badly for everyone involved.

ETA:  Some nights, 11:13 PM is too late to post things and have them come out properly spelled.
-- Bob
---------

The question that begs is..

How unplugged is too unplugged?

Trapped in a nefarious villain's deathtrap with only a few random odds and ends and their throats, would it work?

I don't think it would be so much an attempt to intentionally fool the metagift, so much as a surprise for everyone. For that matter, what would the BGC version of "We Didn't Start The Fire" do? We know it has different lyrics, and I think its safe to assume that it has identical music, or close enough to the variant on Doug's homeworld.
-----

Quote: For that matter, what would the BGC version of "We Didn't Start The Fire" do? We know it has different lyrics, and I think its safe to assume that it has identical music, or close enough to the variant on Doug's homeworld.
I think I'll have to decide where the knowledge for the song effect comes from in the first place before I can answer that. Given the hundreds of points of view that Lisa was subject to, it's obviously not strictly Doug, but I'm also not sure that the song was just slurping them right out of the local Akashic Records or something -- especially since he was able to transmit his homeworld's history in another timeline. It might be that the song has no effect until Doug has immersed himself for sufficient time in that timeline, at which point the song can produce the same effect for its world's history.
-- Bob
---------

Jorlem Wrote:Ah, ok.

On a related note, I'm sure this has come up before, but what happens with filksongs, and other songs that have the same instrumentation, but different lyrics? Would the first time that Doug hears the variant have the power for the original kick in as he mistakenly 'recognizes' it, until the lyrics begin, causing the power to stop? Also, from then on, would both songs have a decreased duration, as he would need to wait for the lyrics to be sure which song it is, instead of recognizing it from the instrumental part from the get-go?
damn, that is a good question.  I know there are some songs where, when I hear the first few bars, I think of Weird Al's version before the original.  Likewise whenever I happen to hear 'Ice Ice Baby' start, the song that comes to mind first is 'Under Pressure'.

I'm thinking maybe I should invoke Takahashi's Law on that before I give myself a headache over the implications.
-- Bob
---------

Well, one possible, slightly handwavy solution would be to say that Doug's metagift actually functions slightly outside of linear time. If that is the case, you could say that if Doug will recognize the song as a particular song, then the powers from that song will trigger from the start. Of course, this could lead to so disorienting cases where Doug hears a song start, thinks one set of powers is about to activate, and is then disoriented when a different set of powers manifests instead, since fifteen seconds into the future!Doug knows it is actually some other song.
-----

I would suspect that the confusion/delay/whatever effect of similar song intros would only occur if someone else played a song in an effort to trigger Doug. We don't usually see it "on camera", as when Doug uses a song, he knows which one he's playing, which would give his subconscious a "leg up" in terms of knowing which song it is.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I'm thinking maybe I should invoke Takahashi's Law on that before I give myself a headache over the implications.
????  My google fu seems to have deserted me, as I cant find any relevant data.
What I did find was on the "Everything I need to know I learned from Anime" and they dont quite apply, I think:
68. TAKAHASHI'S LAW 1: Food is a powerful motivator.
73. TAKAHASHI'S LAW 2: The two-foot-tall old geezer is someone to be
feared.
79. TAKAHASHI'S LAW 3: When being hit on the head, it's the most natural
thing in the world to tuck your third and fourth fingers in while
keeping the others extended.
98. TAKAHASHI'S LAW #4: An anti-climax is a good climax.

But my fav from the list isnt a takahashi law:
107. The smartest people on r.a.a. never post, which is why the
conference's overall IQ is so low.
or, did you actually mean this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinji_Takahashi
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Takahashi's law as concerning Ranma Saotome getting pregnant:

"Don't think about it."

More precisely, "I don't think about that and neither should you."

Correct! 
-- Bob
---------

Filksinging..... That reminds me about Weird Al Yankovich

Bad by Michael Jackson

Fat by Weird Al Yankovich

I'm not sure what would happen there. Doug thinks it is the Jackson version when all of a sudden he gets the Yankovich version. I have the feeling that Gideon Manley assinated Weird Al to prevent Doug's talent from getting any more bizzare.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

Or Doug thinks he's going to transform into a tiger, but instead gets a deli sandwich (Survivor's Eye of the Tiger / Weird Al's Rye or the Kaiser)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Or Doug thinks he's going to transform into a tiger, but instead gets a deli sandwich (Survivor's Eye of the Tiger / Weird Al's Rye or the Kaiser)
Not just a sandwich.  He gets a plate with kosher deli sandwich halves - one with rie, one with kaiser - with some deli-made salt-and-vinegar potato ships (also kosher) and a kosher dill pickle spear.  Bonus points if he gets some kosher sparkling birch beer to wash it down (tastes like sarsaparilla).

Another, more minor question: Does Doug have set up playlists of songs that invoke similar powers? For example, I'm sure he has a few different songs that all generate something akin to Superman style flight, so might they be put in a playlist to allow for longer, uninterrupted flights?

Also, how does his meta-talent respond to medleys?
-----

Random speculation:

Knowledgebase is a combination of singer's intent (as impressed on the recording medium via the Laws of Similarity and Contagion), Doug's own subconscious, and the Collective Multiversal Unconsciousness.

Filk Songs just -work-, Doug's power recognizes them right off the bat even if his conscious mind doesn't.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.