Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How curious is Doug?
How curious is Doug?
This crossed my mind:  suppose the Loon wound up in a world where something struck him as mysterious, but not necessarily needing action taken.  He looked into it further, and was beginning to unravel the mystery.  He'd got to a point where he was fairly sure that another three weeks to two months at the outside would reveal "all" to him. 
And then he found the Gatesong out.
Is his curiosity strong enough to make him stick around anyway, perhaps as much as two months (with the possibility that he was wrong and it'd take longer), to find out what's going on, even when he's not at all sure it's anything he could or should do anything about?
The origin of this was an idle musing about a story in which some time or crosstime traveler apparently tampered with world history from a certain point, and may still be doing so ... but from what Doug can see, the changes seem to be mostly improvements.  Maybe. 
I kind of liked the idea of a situation in which Looney and the other traveler wind up helping each other in some way, or both taking on a danger/problem, but without ever meeting or either of them being certain the other even existed.  
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: How curious is Doug?
Well, we've seen in the various posted-chapters of the Canon that Doug is somewhat curious.

Remember from DWII that when he believed that he was only going to be in BGC-world for a day or so, he went out of his way to see the state of the world there.  However he did only a cursory examination of the place.

Further, remember from the concordance of the Harry Potter step that Doug really only skimmed any books not immediately relevant to him.  That's why he never quite makes the connection between The Boy Who Lived and Harry Potter, despite the fact that this is a Very Big Deal Indeed throughout the British magical world.  I think the equivalent would be . . . hmm . . . not figuring out that the guy in the plexiglass car with the funny hat on is this "pope" fella everyone in Rome is going on about.  Well, perhaps not, but close.  

Doug was certainly curious enough to go towards the hellmouth in the Buffy-step, but that may have just been him figuring out that when he lands in a world and something is just screaming "bad news," that's his cue to get stuck in it, have a wacky misunderstanding and a fight scene, and then leave that world.

murmur Wrote:Doug was certainly curious enough to go towards the hellmouth in the Buffy-step, but that may have just been him figuring out that when he lands in a world and something is just screaming "bad news," that's his cue to get stuck in it, have a wacky misunderstanding and a fight scene, and then leave that world.
Nothing that meta.  He sees something that is just screaming 'bad news', and takes it as a cue to try to help out, I think. 
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Well, it might be that meta by the time he gets all the way to DW13, but I tend to agree that it's his sense of duty that ultimately drives him towards the Hellmouth.
-- ∇×V