Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song of the Day, 4 March 2014
Song of the Day, 4 March 2014
  //www.youtube.com/v/iEKLFS-aKcw?version=3&hl=en_US 
The snow glows white on the mountain tonightNot a footprint to be seenA kingdom of isolation,And it looks like I’m the Queen.
The wind is howling like this swirling storm insideCouldn’t keep it in, heaven knows I tried
Don’t let them in, don’t let them seeBe the good girl you always have to beConceal, don’t feel, don’t let them knowWell, now they know
Let it go, let it goCan’t hold it back anymoreLet it go, let it goTurn away and slam the door
I don’t careWhat they’re going to sayLet the storm rage on,The cold never bothered me anyway
It’s funny how some distanceMakes everything seem smallAnd the fears that once controlled meCan’t get to me at all
It’s time to see what I can doTo test the limits and break throughNo right, no wrong, no rules for meI’m free
Let it go, let it goI am one with the wind and skyLet it go, let it goYou’ll never see me cry
Here I standAnd here I'll stayLet the storm rage on
My power flurries through the air into the groundMy soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all aroundAnd one thought crystallizes like an icy blastI’m never going back,The past is in the past
Let it go, let it goAnd I'll rise like the break of dawnLet it go, let it goThat perfect girl is gone
Here I standIn the light of dayLet the storm rage on,The cold never bothered me anyway
-- Idina Menzel, "Let It Go", from Disney's Frozen
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

That's been the song of my day for a month or so... including the week when my attempt to go see Frozen was called off on account of snow.
Also, if you hadn't noticed my post in Game Everybody Loves To Play, probably not Doug's Song of the Day.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I've been ignoring The Game again, for the usual reasons -- the intimidating wealth of riches and corresponding lack to time to examine each one as needed. If you suggested this song then by all means I acknowledge the suggestion retroactively, and apologize for ignoring your post with the others. I only learned of this song on Sunday night, during the Oscars broadcast.

It certainly doesn't hurt that it's the second ice'n'cold power song I've been looking for for the longest time to go along with "Hazy Shade of Winter"...
-- Bob
---------

Fair enough.  Here's the relevant bit, from the Banned Songs List post.
Quote:"A power
inherent to the user, long repressed, now let go?  I can't help but
imagine it as ramping his improbability field up to about 15, and
removing any constraints he's put on it.
When you consider that
the field had to be trained to ignore clothing, combined with the "The
cold never bothered me, anyway" line, well, I'd call it a Noodle
Incident Generator."

I've been writing a bit.

Mm. Yeah, I can see that happening, too. But I've been looking for another snow-ice song for almost 15 years!
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Mm. Yeah, I can see that happening, too. But I've been looking for another snow-ice song for almost 15 years!
Submitted for your approval:
  //www.youtube.com/v/OujeMZWtVr4?version=3&hl=en_US    
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Mmm... you make a good point... but what about this?
http://nj1015.com/top-15-songs-about-ic ... nd-winter/
I've read the lyrics and listened to all of them, and these five all look like good candidates.  I'll add video links/lyrics when I'm not at work.
The Rolling Stones- WinterTori Amos- WinterXTC- SnowmanSteve Miller Band- Winter TimeGenesis- Snowbound
Oh, and lest I forget:
Queen- A Winter's Tale

I've been writing a bit.

You're forgetting the greatest one of all

Cold outside....

EDIT: I really hate how Yuku handles youtube embeds. It either pukes, or it forces the flash to load.

Okay, okay, okay...
-- Bob
---------

I've been ignoring The Game again, for the usual reasons -- the intimidating wealth of riches and corresponding lack to time to examine each one as needed. If you suggested this song then by all means I acknowledge the suggestion retroactively, and apologize for ignoring your post with the others. I only learned of this song on Sunday night, during the Oscars broadcast.

It certainly doesn't hurt that it's the second ice'n'cold power song I've been looking for for the longest time to go along with "Hazy Shade of Winter"...
Bob, I call it an ramp up from "Hazy Shade of Winter". Full Ice manipulation. Can you even summon ice elementals?  Ice structures? Can you make an ice vessel?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Three words:

Evil Sailor Mercury.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

You see, there's a difference between how you interpret it and how I do, probably caused by my not having seen Frozen yet (would have, last night, save for a traffic jam) -- I don't see the song as having anything inherently evil about it. The "Let it go" might cause control problems, but I still don't anticipate the results being automatically malicious...
-- Bob
---------

...and then there's the question of whether or not Doug would hear it first from the movie, which is hardly a sure thing.  He might just hear the song... or possibly see it on a Youtube-equivalent, which would give him the visuals, but not the context.
Looking at the lyrics themselves, the majority of them talk about freedom, a lack of repression, not hiding power.  Snow and ice are a distinct second place in the song itself.  Seeing the video that goes with it (basically watching the Youtube clip) would skew it more towards the ice/snow meaning, I think.  Seeing the whole movie (or at least the movie to that point; since powers are decided the first time Doug hears a song, nothing after that would have an effect on how his subconscious interpreted the song) would probably reinforce the 'uncontrolled power' aspect of it, given what I know of her story.  It all depends on how Doug's exposed to it.
If Bob doesn't have an idea on that, I'd propose rolling a die.  Maybe a d10:  1-3 indicate uncontrollable/improbable effects, 4-6 are some combination of that and ice (improbability with an ice motif on a 4, both effects on a 5, ice that does what Doug wants in odd ways on a 6), and 7-10 are straight-up ice manipulation/creation.
Of those options, I think 6 is both most applicable to the story (ice manipulation, but Doug can't help but use it, and it can do odd things- like bringing snowmen to life), and the most narratively interesting... but you don't always get what you want, so I proposed the die roll.

I've been writing a bit.

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:

Bob, I call it an ramp up from "Hazy Shade of Winter". Full Ice manipulation. Can you even summon ice elementals?  Ice structures? Can you make an ice vessel?
Do you want to build a snowman? Smile  
Ebony the Black Dragon

You see, there's a difference between how you interpret it and how I do, probably caused by my not having seen Frozen yet (would have, last night, save for a traffic jam) -- I don't see the song as having anything inherently evil about it. The "Let it go" might cause control problems, but I still don't anticipate the results being automatically malicious...
For me (and this might have been just me or on purpose by the writers), the look in Elsa's face at the end of the song gave me a brief "Oh shit" moment, because it looked like she was completely fine with icing over everthing. I think that an easier, sloppier, more cliched story would make that moment the origin of an evil queen sort of character.  I remember thinking, later in the film, that had Anna not been accepting of Elsa's new look and abilities, the Ice Queen would have been an actual villain, instead of an unwilling one. (Spoilered since Bob hasn't seen the film.)
Ebony the Black Dragon

Thanks, Ebony. I'll swipe that with my mouse after we get to the movie. (Maybe tomorrow night.)
-- Bob
---------

Quote:robkelk wrote:

Three words:
Evil Sailor Mercury.
Sailor Mercury Unbound...
I first thought of "Sailor Mercury Rising" but remembered there's a hentai fic of the same title.

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Sailor Mercury Unbound
...and that brought me, two leaps of logic later, to contemplating DBZ Abridged/Sailor Moon crossovers.
Thanks.
Here's hoping you enjoy the movie!
(I'm going to have to wait a few weeks, and catch it on video.  NOT BITTER.  AT.  ALL.)

I've been writing a bit.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:You see, there's a difference between how you interpret it and how I do, probably caused by my not having seen Frozen yet (would have, last night, save for a traffic jam) -- I don't see the song as having anything inherently evil about it. The "Let it go" might cause control problems, but I still don't anticipate the results being automatically malicious...

I haven't seen Frozen yet, either.

Quote:Don’t let them in, don’t let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know
Well, now they know

I don’t care
What they’re going to say
Let the storm rage on,

No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I’m free

Not exactly "good" lyrics, IMHO.
--
Rob Kelk

It can also be construed as breaking your shackles. I get the vibe of being forced to a mold, an ideal that is going to be very difficult if not impossible to achieve and the toll it takes on a person. To wear a mask in public and be something else behind the mask. We all wear personas in our professional, public and private lives. And some of the personas are forced upon us, willingly or not.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

robkelk, I think you're confusing lawful and good.  "Let It Go" could be about overcoming what's expected for simply being a woman.  Or coming out of the closet.  Or about deciding that society's rules are holding you back, and you've decided to go found a island paradise for capitalists (presumably in the Arctic).  The song reminds me of "Defying Gravity" from Wicked quite a lot, because you can read a lot of meanings into it.  Which ultimately means it's a good song. SmileWhat if this had been the first version Doug heard?//www.youtube.com/embed/17QQcK4l6YwI do like musicians who sound good without Autotune.
-- ∇×V

IIRC, different versions of a song have different effects, at least if they're by different artists. The canonical example in fact being "Hazy Shade of Winter" which has very different effects depending whether it's the Simon and Garfunkel version or the Bangles version (though ISTR that it's more magnitude than type with that one).

vorticity Wrote:... I do like musicians who sound good without Autotune.
You say that as if there's any other sort of musician. (There are other sorts of stage personalities, I'll grant, and some of those pretend to sing - but musicians know how to use their instruments, including their voices.)

As for the main question, I seem to be outvoted... but it's Bob's decision in the end.
--
Rob Kelk

Finally saw Frozen this weekend, and subsquently viewed Ebony's spoiler. Agreed.
I also found it funny that this song is directly responsible, on a meta level, for Elsa not being an out-and-out villain, if IMDb's trivia page is to be trusted: They were working on a reasonably straight adaptation of The Snow Queen, until the songwriting team presented "Let It Go". The song was a big hit with the production team, but they decided it was too positive and uplifting for a villain to sing. So rather than dump obvious Oscar bait, they rewrote the entire movie to turn Elsa into an innocent victim of her own powers instead of a genuine villain. The only remains of the Hans Christian Anderson story are a couple of characters with the names of the children from the story, and the names of four of the new main characters: Hans, Kristoff, Anna and Sven.
EDIT:  Oh, and did anyone sit all the way through the credits for the Easter Egg at the end?  Or notice that one of the staff positions on the movie was "Caffeinator"?  Or the disclaimer that Disney doesn't agree with Kristoff's assertion about certain "universal" behaviors by men? 
-- Bob
---------

EDIT:  Oh, and did anyone sit all the way through the credits for the Easter Egg at the end?  Or notice that one of the staff positions on the movie was "Caffeinator"?  Or the disclaimer that Disney doesn't agree with Kristoff's assertion about certain "universal" behaviors by men? 
I sat through to the scene at the end. I missed the credits and disclaimer, but it would not be the first time that someone's thrown that sort of thing in. My personal favorite is the disclaimer from the end of "Cats Don't Dance" ("No animals were harmed in the making of this film, though some where erased and redrawn.").
I also found this little Easter Egg from the animation crew. Seems our fairy tale kingdoms are getting neighborly.  
Ebony the Black Dragon