Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Future Projects...
Possible Future Projects...
I'm gonna sticky this one so that people can use it as a suggestion box to drop plot bunnies and the like.

One thing I've been itching to do is a deconstruction fic of GATE: The Day the JSDF Fought.  Of course, everyone knows: the shit is just plain broken.

The biggest thing is the complete absence of US Armed Forces.  I'll grant that maybe the JSDF might have been on the scene first, but you can bet that they would have been there to establish the beachhead on Alnus Hill.

The real trick will be writing it so that none of the major characters really get written out of the plot.

Thoughts?  Or other story suggestions?
RE: Possible Future Projects...
I feel like there should have been a lot more fringers coming out of the woodwork - religious types of every stripe claiming it to be the work of their flavor of divine or demonic powers and/or wanting to spread the good news of Sephiroth/Vectron/The Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster/etc. to the poor benighted otherworlders, UFO nuts with their own near-religious explanations dressed up in pseudoscience, anti-technology types who want to go through and settle because obviously a world without the pollution and exploitation of an industrial society will be a paradise, gold rushers who want to go through and deploy modern sensors to claim the best resources for exploitation before other corporate rivals can and buy them for glass beads and geometric blankets because they took exactly the wrong lessons from US history, criminals who want to go through and load up on the gold coins computer games have trold (okay, that's a typo but it's funny so I'm keeping it) them are the financial basis of all preindustrial "fantasy" settings, pacifist protesters who insist that the original attacks must have been caused by some kind of misunderstanding or inadvertent provocation and that rather than soldiers and tanks it should be diplomats in unarmed civilian style vehicles (just armoured enough to resist arrows and swords in case of further misunderstandings, the more moderate ones allow) etc. And of course, journalists like a swarm of locusts, whether freelance or affiliated.
--
‎noli esse culus
Eh. I think most of that can be pushed aside to mere mentions - that's the usual political white noise you have even without a virginal fantasy land just waiting to be plundered. The voices are going to be so varied that no one is going to have any particular majority.

The biggest thing will be simply securing diplomatic relations and offering the carrot while the stick waits in plain view.

Also, fixing a few things that would be outright war crimes. For example, the one criminal syndicate in the Capitol that took offense to the JSDF's presence... they fixed it in the anime by having it that they bought the farm when they tried for a frontal assault on the place. But in the manga it's heavily implied that JSDF soldiers went into the guy's house and.... dealt with him. And his whole family. Personally.

Yeah.

Reasons like these I won't touch the LN's, even with a ten-foot pole because they're supposedly even worse. And that's not even getting into the original online version, where the author was so nationalist that even the rank and file of 2ch.net thought he was being toxic. (if you don't know how bad that is, let's just say that 2ch.net has a lot of the "Hirohito did nothing wrong" crowd in its user base. And he was managing to squick even THESE guys.)
You might want to take a look at this take on the concept:

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...fic.41464/

Specifically focussed on "higher US participation".
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
DAMMIT NORWAY NOW I CAN'T STOP READING THIS DAMN THING!!!

Thanks, BTW. Wink