Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TGNH Ch. 6
Re: Pending review and so much more!
And me. [Image: smile.gif] Good story so far.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Flashing back (part 2)

A moment later, he was back, still frowning, and carrying a slip of paper in one hand. "Hold still," he told Naruto brusquely.
The Genin eyed the ward warily. "Is this going to hurt?" he asked.
"No," and then there was a flash of smoke and light as the thing was slapped against his forehead.
"Why not just give him an access token?" Sakura asked over the coughing fit that followed.
"This is the portable form of the attunement seal," he told her, then handed a small wooded disc to the recovering blond. "Here; make sure you're always carrying this when you try and go in here."

...I had meant to get a lot farther on this before I posted, but my PC downloaded an update - without asking - and has started bitching about how it wants to reboot and fuck whatever I was doing... so here it is, before the piece of junk manages an end run around me.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Re: Flashing back (part 2)
We'll be here waiting, Valles. ^_^
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

Did you think i'd forgotten?
"This is the portable form of the attunement seal," he told her, then handed a small wooden disc to the recovering blond. "Here; make sure you're always carrying this when you try and go in here."
Naruto stared at the innocuous object resting on his palm. "I will," he said, and meant it.
"Uzumaki-kun's academic, taijutsu, and chakra-molding skills are as to be expected given the circumstances surrounding his training - that is to say, poor, to put it kindly," the Jounin said, and contintued on into the building. "But other aspects of those same circumstances mean that the actual amount of chakra available to him exceeds that of anyone else in the squad by an order of magnitude. That aside, his physical conditioning is quite adequate. Overall, weak, but likely to improve greatly with proper training."
"Circumstances?" Sakura asked. "You mean, his not having a family?"
"No. If you pass, you will be briefed fully. Until that happens, all you need to know is that their nature and details are classified on pain of death."
Anyone who had been through ninja training, or even been raised in an area where ninja were a major presence, was not going to be shocked by the idea of using a death penalty to keep a secret. It was to be expected, given the nature of their work. But Konoha policy imposed such sanctions only rarely - rarely enough to have been worthy of remark even if they hadn't been concerned with so unlikely a subject as that Naruto. All three of the youngsters were subdued as they considered that, and Naruto shifted uneasily under his teammates' curious looks as the young man leading them flung open a door and led them into an immense, low-ceilinged space that was incongrously well lit for a place so full of repressive silence.
A few steps inside the room, rather than leading them down one of the narrow aisles between the looming, pack bookshelves that filled every part of their vision, their teacher stopped and turned to face them. "As for myself, my name is Nathan Baxter - Bakusuta Neshan, as your script and custome render it - and I hold the rank of Special Jounin for the Village Hidden by the Leaves.
"Behind me are the Archives of Konoha, and, in a very real way, the root of much of the village's power. Every ninjutsu, every genjutsu, every strategy and every taijutsu form, every individual ninja ever encountered by a Leaf-nin is described somewhere in these halls, and for the next twenty-four hours, the three of you have been granted Jounin-level access to them."
Sakura's eyes widened, Sasuke's narrowed, and Naruto looked confused.
"At the end of that time, you will go to Training Ground Eight and retrieve these-" they were three small paper scrolls, perhaps the length of Sakura's hand and the thickness of her wrist "-from the shrine at the north end of the area. Due to seals on the scrolls, a given person may only carry one. I will be your opposition." He paused and checked their reactions, and was pleased with what he saw. All of them were reevaluating him; none looked intimidated. "I would advise that you use this time wisely. The stakes, for you, are high; the Academy's tests rated your skills - this one will rate your personality characteristics, and if you cannot show the proper ones, you will not be permitted to become Genin."

"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Re: Did you think i'd forgotten?
cool.
And hopefully either Sasuke or Sakura will realize that that one of the first things they should research is Baxter-sensei himself. 'Know thy enemy' after all.
I doubt it will occur to Naruto, since you indicate he has very little experience with the library and it's uses.__________________
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin.
Actual Ch. 6 material!

The small figure in the black cloak paused to look around as it came around the ravelin blocking the library's main doorway, then turned towards the door that led back through the stacks towards the administrative offices. When the receptionist cleared her throat and it paused and tilted its head - almost completely hidden as it was beneath low hood and a white full-face mask with no features beyond its eyeslits and the swirling leaf insignia on its forehead - inquiringly.
"Regulations require fingerprint and visual identification or a corroborating witness, on top of the token. New rules, sorry," she said, almost conspiratorially, as though to offer her alliance against the madness of the beurocracy.
She needn't have bothered; the visitor knew quite well how suspicious his attire would be found in a village of ninja. "Momoichi Haku, fresh Genin. To see Director Bakusuta," he said softly, tugging the glove from one stiff hand with the delicate care one showed to a limb not quite fully healed. When she had taken his scar-crossed thumbprint and started to go through her files to compare it he wiped the digit clean and reached up to carefully release the chakra seals holding the mask in place.
The sound of the motion made her mark her place with one thumb and look up - credit where it was due, her eyes barely widened and her face didn't pale more than a shade or two. He didn't try to smile - that only made the effect worse - merely met her gaze for a moment then raised the mask back into place.
When she had found the picture - and it was just as bad as the reality - she closed the book with only a little haste and met his eyes through the mask with a commendable attempt at calm. "All right. The Boss's office is all the way in the back of the main isle, right across from the stairwell."
He nodded and thanked her and went where he'd been directed, and let his sandal tap softly against the doorframe as he crossed it.
The Jounin looked up from the report he'd been going over, then rose with his remaining hand held politely in full view. "Thank you for coming," he said, "How's your handwriting?"
"Fairly good, though the doctors say I shouldn't do much of it yet."
"I'll need your help with a couple of things for the index project, then. Mine has never been more than passable, and I'm - I was - right-handed," and he made a little cross-body gesture that called attention to the missing limb. "The rest should just be standard D-rank fetch and carry."
Haku nodded, then, recalling some of the things he'd heard from Naruto and H-... his teammate about this man, said, "And the other reason?"
The usual shinobi reaction to an accusation of a hidden agenda would have been either contemptuously close-mouthed or artfully confused, but Neshan barely even hesitated. "I think that you and I need to talk about Zabuza."
He had to swallow against the sudden surge of pain. "I... there's... no need."
"You have a perfect right to hate me."
"Would there be a point to it?"
"No. But my answer doesn't matter."
"Ninja kill. Ninja die."
"Yes... Before he did, though, I asked him why he chose that fight."
"...why?"
"'For the sake of his hostage to fate'. I thought you should know."
And Haku eased himself into the chair before the desk and did not move. Eventually the Jounin went back to his report.

"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
Re: *gasp*
I was rereading the threads of my earlier work on this story and found myself blinking and sitting up and going, "My god. Hell!Sakura's a Habbalite."

I've had that moment, with Saitou Hajime and Malakite... [Image: smile.gif]
--Sam
"Bad man... hit dog... with STREET!"
So, I was thinking the other day, and some pieces fell into place and I realized I had an arc plot.
Stories: 4
Series: 5
Worlds: 4
Characters appearing in all four sections: 1
Characters appearing in three sections: 1 (sorta)
Characters appearing in two sections: 3
Characters appearing in only one section: too many to count ahead of time
Wishes granted: 2
Apocalypses averted: 2
Apocalypses not averted: 1
Main arc-character deaths: at least 3
Fuckin' gi-normous explosions: Lots!
Happy endings: CLASSIFIED
^_^
Ja, -n

Bet you thought this was dead, didn't you?
Well, to be honest it's not in good health. I've debated writing up a summary of my plans, posting that, and marking the project 'abandoned', taking it down pending a full rewrite, finishing out a shorter version that ends right after the chuunin exams...
Currently I'm leaning to the last. If that is what I end up doing, this'll end up being the epilogue. Naturally it contains spoilers; along with plot threads open for anyone who wants to take up my invitation to work on a sequel.
Aren't you glad I consider this community a beta-test zone rather than a real release?

Being of sound mind and body but soon to enter mortal combat, I, Bakusuta Neshan, Special and Administrative Jounin of the Village Hidden by the Leaves, do hereby set down this my last will and testament to be carried out in the event of my death.
To my student Tenten, called the Weapon User, Genin of the Leaf, I leave the contents of the folder among my papers marked 20, along with those of my personal armaments which may survive me.
To my student, Uzumaki Naruto, Genin of the Leaf, who as an orphan lacking the support of family is most in need of them among those close to me, I leave my apartment and monetary savings.
To my comrade, Mitarashi Anko, Special Jounin of the Leaf, I leave my personal effects and small things forgotten, to be disposed of according to her best judgement.
To the Hidden Leaf Medical Division, I leave my earthly remains, should they survive, to be used for research or instruction as they see fit.
To the Hidden Leaf Archival Division, I leave my personal notes and papers, to be stored in Section 23 (Original Sources, Leaf Shinobi, Jounin, Deceased) and subject to the usual conditions of access for that area, with the exception that Uzumaki Naruto, Haruno Sakura, Uchiha Sasuke, Hyuuga Hinata, and their heirs are to be given free and unlimited access and may permit others of their choosing supervised access at their discretion.
Finally, to the Saviors of the Snow Country, I leave one last lecture and a few spots of advice:
When I was a child, perhaps your age, my parents came to me and explained that we would be attenting a gathering, part party and part convention of the like minded, formed of those who felt that romantic love need not neccessarily be binding and exclusive, but rather, like its familial or friendly equivalents, could be given to several or many people without cheapening or harming anyone concerned. They had always held these beliefs, though up until that time there had been no opportunity to act on them, and wished my and my sister's input and approval before they began to put theory into practice, as the definition and feeling regarding adultery in my homeland was quite strict and liable to overflow into scandal if revealed.
We gave it, and they did, and their lives and ours were the richer for it. While my own romantic experiences have ended poorly, the observations and theory I gained from growing up in such a household lead me to believe that a willingness to tolerate another's foibles, and adapt or alter one's own for another's comfort, are key to a long-term intimate relationship, and that, while the difficulty of these tasks increases multiplicatively when additional persons are added, the final result has a richness, stability, and synergy which matches the effort put into it.
I have seen the admiring looks each of you gives the other three when you think yourselves unobserved. What, if any, loves may come of them I cannot predict at this time - your lives have many years still to live. I had hoped to watch as you worked it out, and to lend my aid in whatever capacity it should prove needful... but that is impossible, and so I can only ask, if you find yourself forced to choose between one love or another, that you remember that loving two - or three - is an option.
Sasuke - the best revenge is living well.
Sakura - being true to yourself suits and serves you better than being true to what's expected of you.
Naruto - be careful for once in your goddamn life.
Hinata - you're already stronger than I ever was, and far purer in heart.
All of you - be excellent to one another.

By this my hand and seal, Neisaan Bak's'taa, 3rd day 9th month 82nd year Konoha Date.

Re: Bet you thought this was dead, didn't you?
Not even one comment? ;.;
Well, howsabout this, instead...
IIRC the Uchiha were, at one point, an offshoot of the Hyuuga, and their Sharingan an alteration or development of the Byakugan. Presumably, this would mean that they occupy the same space in the genome, and are thus mutually exclusive. The same would not be true, of course, of, say, Kimimaro's disgusting bone tricks, and might or might not apply to other visual blood limits, but those two at least should be impossible to combine via breeding.
OTOH, it might be possible to get at least some of the same effects using skill and training.
About the Byakugan, we know that it can see chakra both in the environment and within the bodies of others with extreme sensitivity, has essentially a full spherical field of view, and consumes chakra to use.
About the Sharingan, we know that it can see chakra within the bodies of others (refer to the Valley of the End fight), provide its owner with eidetic recall of everything seen while it was active, that the use of learned techniques does -not- require the Sharingan to be active (Sasuke vs. Yoroi in the Chunin Exam prelims), inflict hypnotic suggestions on individuals within its field of view (Kakashi vs. Zabuza), that it consumes chakra, and that it damages itself progressively while active.
We also know that the two are related.
Thus, conjecture:
The Byakugan creates ordinarily inert structural alterations in the surface of the eye which, when exposed to the proper flow of native chakra, stimulates the optic nerve if hit with even a hint of -external- chakra - such as that radiated as excess by living bodies or as decay products by ninjutsu like the various sorts of Bunshin. Additionally, with practice, this process can be reversed - if surplus chakra is fed into the Byakugan structures then they radiate it into their environment in a coherent fashion. This emitted chakra leaves the body, travels until it contacts an obstruction, and then scatters, much as the sound waves emitted by sonar do... and, again like sonar, that backscatter can be interpreted to form an image of one's environment. 'Tight beaming' directed emissions (perhaps controlled by the iris, assuming the chakra structures are present within it as well) can gain a useful return far beyond normal visual range. The blind spot is simply the gap where the optic nerve goes.
They also form the cataract-like white layer over the iris and pupil that give the Byakugan its characteristic 'blank sphere' look.
This suggests a possible - no, two - weaknesses in the Byakugan that we haven't seen. First, a Hyuuga's actual, normal vision is probably poor even in good light and non-existent in bad - their eyes look blind because, well, they almost are. Second, seeing anything that isn't emitting chakra - whether because it has none or isn't emitting or (more likely) is directing its emissions somewhere -other- than at the Byakugan's owner - will require conscious effort.
I suspect that interpreting the amount of data coming in from not only the normal retina (assuming it still functions) but also that outer chakra-sensing layer results in or involves a certain amount of hypertrophy in the optic nerve.
The Sharingan, I think, is nothing more or less than a Byakugan sans white outer layer - most of its emission structures, though retaining the ones in the iris. The excess visual processing capacity from the unaltered optic nerves allows a detailed examination of even the quickest movements as well as the finest details of the environment - essentially allowing an Uchiha to do orders of magnitude more 'looking' at a given subject in a given amount of time, after which point copying what has been seen is merely a matter of memory. Carefully redirected internal chakra might allow that excess capacity to be repurposed to consciously direct chakra flow throughout the body (needed to get strange ninjutsu right without practice) or the precise shape and movements of the iris (and its attendant chakra structures) and, with it, the exact shape, frequency, etc. of its emitted chakra 'beam'.
If, as I suspect, most of the chakra consumption of conventional genjutsu is involved in flailing around trying to find and connect to the target's chakra system so that it can be followed back to their sensory nerves, then that tightly directed, focused beam would make a Sharingan-cast genjutsu far more efficient than most equivalents - on top of its not needing visible hand seals.
The Mangekyo is nothing more than a way of overriding the eye system's usual amplitude limits - a sort of conscious suicide overload - and allowing it to channel enough chakra to cast actual ninjutsu. Amaterasu? Or that space-warping trick Kakashi used? Ninjutsu. Doable with seals.
...this means that:
1. A Hyuga who could activate their iris-structures and surface-structures separately could replicate at least most of the Sharingan's abilities, though their actual vision would limit their ability to copy on the fly.
2. An Uchiha has everything needed to learn and use Jyuuken.
3. A theoretical Uchiha CoX toon could have eyebeams.
^_^
Ja, -n

Quote:
Not even one comment? ;.;
Well, I, at least, have been away...
With regards to the possible "epilogue", I think the impact of that...well, it could be powerful and thought provoking, but it all depends on how it's framed. What kind of impression it leaves... I guess that'd be up to context. Which this, at least, doesn't have.
Concerning the speculation on the Byakugan and Sharingan, I submit that there's another weakness, assuming the mechanism you've suggested.
That is... if the Byakugan and Sharingan are actually projecting beams or fields of chakra...
That means they're an active sensor system, not a passive one. At least in part. And that's a weakness in itself.
There's waves of chakra being emitted from the bloodline user, bouncing off stuff around them - and that reflected chakra then returns to the eye. And only then does an image form. Or something like that.
But the thing is, an active sensor system could well be counterproductive in terms of stealth. Submarines can detect if someone else has pinged them on sonar. Radar beams can be picked up.
In canon, Hinata and Neji use their Byakugan for recon purposes all the time. But if we go by this explanation that the Byakugan user is projecting chakra... well, you might be able to see things at a distance. But someone with advanced chakra senses of their own might be able to detect you. Since you're going around making emissions.
Then there's the question of frequencies and jamming...
-- Acyl
Have to agree with Acyl on this one.
It's possible that the Byakugan, for instance, might have begun by developing a membrane on the edge of the eyeball (thus resulting in the white-eyed look) that filters out the user's own chakra from sight when needed, allowing them to sense chakra outside without being blinded by their own head being in the way. Then add in an intensely chakra-sensitive set of cells at the core of the retina, just over the optic nerve...--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.