Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sailor Moon... What are the good Fics?
Sailor Moon... What are the good Fics?
I've been on a Sailor Moon kick recently, but aside from Strike Fiss's Sailor Moon: Omoi series, i've been having rather poor luck at finding anything engrossing to read, and given the huge variety of experience and depth of knowledge of the subject of fanfiction here, I was hoping for some suggestions? What in your opinion are the best Sailor Moon stories out there?
Re: Sailor Moon... What are the good Fics?
Sailor Moon: Millenials seems to be rather dead, but it's huge and really, really cool, so I don't really...
Well, no, that makes it worse, but it's a good sort of worse.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Well, the Magnesite and Trenchcoat Mask stories out of SME have always appealed to *me*.
Heir to the Empire by Ozzalos on ff.net (and now rakhal) is also surprisingly good. Ozzalos seems to have a habit of starting with premises that ought to make you wince (Ranma/Sailor Moon crossover, with girl-type Ranma!) and then actually writing good fics out of them.
www.fanfiction.net/s/3337074/1/
Was dead for 8 years, but the author has recently decided to bring it back to life.
RE: SM Fics
Ah the golden age.
There are some excellent ones out there, but finding them can be a pain in the neck. One of ht eones I'm rather fond of is Sailor Moon 4200, but I so rarely have a chance to keep tabs on it.. and the writing on it is slooow.
I worked on SME for a while.. but I've discovered trying to go back and work on some of my older stuff that I simply no longer have the same motivations and style that I once had. Choices I made at one point I would no longer make, and trying to edit things into a more sane shape.. just doesn't work.
Most of the SM fics I really enjoy are either a little 'out there' or extreme continuations. 4200 is an example. Another example is On A Clear Day You Can See Forever from the Shadow Chronicles.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
SM fics
I always liked John Biles and Jeff Hosmer's Sailor Moon Z.
Too bad they never finished it (and in fact seem to have retired altogether).
The chapter where the Senshi and allies were trapped in a pocket universe based on the RPG Torg, as their Torg characters, was quite interesting.
Unfortunately, The Best Sailor Moon Fanfiction on the Net appears to have vanished, or I'd point you there. It hadn't been updated in ages, but it did have a ton of good stuff archived there.
Hmm... what hasn't been mentioned yet?
I remember liking Ken Wolfe's series: The Four Horsemen, Frozen Time, Kiss of the Enemy, Under a Cloud, and Secrets.
I also have fond memories of Greg Taylor's "What Evil Lurks". It seems as though this is the only extant site for it.
Aaron Nowack

Aaron Nowack
I'm fond of Empire of the Sun. Its a bit of a mystery story and is apparently a crossover with Homicide, but I never watched that show, so meh.
Also, you'll want to read their As God Is My Witness, I Thought Turkeys Could Fly for a bit of funny and Descansos for some damn fine exploration of Setsuna's character.
Speaking of Biles, 'Children of Fire' (A Sailor Moon / Ranma crossover) is also excellent reading.
A Vow of Serenity is thoroughly AU, but delightful so far.
Sean Gaffney's 'Made of Stone' is one of the best SM SI's I've ever seen done.
And of course there's 'Trials and Errors'.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Matrose Mond is a really interesting AU -- what if the Senshi awoke in Nazi Germany?
Sailor Moon AX had some really interesting concepts in play -- Usagi walks away from the Senshi and a new Moon is selected/found/elected, years later Ami does an exchange student thing to the US and discovers that the Senshi have doppelgangers there when Amy Anderson is assigned as her campus guide -- except these aren't just the dub girls, they're very different. Unfortunately, the series just sort of hangs in the middle and has been on hiaitus since 2002.
Angus MacSpon's Sailor Moon 4200 -- What if Crystal Tokyo didn't survive nearly as long as everyone thought it would? A thousand years after Crystal Tokyo fell and took the world into savagery with it, civilization is making its way back -- and so are the Senshi. But the Senshi's return is very inconvenient for a large number of powerful people... and creatures... highly recommended. Incomplete, but still being worked on, just slowly.
ETA:
Sean Gaffney's Made of Stone -- a witty, clever self-insert into Crystal Tokyo.
And its semisequel, Trials and Errors by Gaffney and Jeff Hosmer.
EATA:
I didn't realize Norway had made the last two recommendations, too. Sorry. Have the links as consolation.
And have this one, too: Sailor Hellblazer -- RPM's Sailor Moon/John Constantine: Hellblazer crossover. Definitely worth a look.

That's all I can think of right now. I know there are others I want to recommend, but they're not coming to mind. Yet.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Ah, Sailor Moon, the show that brought me into anime.
Most of what I mention will probably be crossovers, AUS, and other odd things, since that's what I like.
gbeans.tyrlen.org/homepage/myfanfic.html College Life is really more a Haruka and Michiru fic, but it's good.
home.earthlink.net/~ldbou...index.html Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Orion, one of the more unusual takes on Crystal Tokyo that I've seen.
web.archive.org/web/20030...ncanz.com/ Finally, something with most of the cast. Destiny's Child is a Ranma 1/2 / Sailor Moon fusion ... and so is Sailor Ranko. Unfortunately, I don't know of an active site for this author, and the internet archive doesn't modify urls in pages, so you'll have to copy the link for any page you want to go to, and search the archive for it again. Sailor Ranko and some of the sequels written by other people can be found at www.burgerbill.com though.
Oh, and The Best Sailor Moon Fanfiction on the Net seems to be on the IA too...
www.moonromance.net is a good site for quantity, if not necessarily quality, though their site organization leaves something to be desired in a number of respects... (And I'm also not sure all the fics I remember being there are still there. >.> )
... I'll probably think of more later. >.>
-Morgan, perhaps about a second after I push this button-"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, or espers here, come sleep with me."
---From "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
-----(Not really)
hm
One I really like, but can't remember the name of, has a 20th-21st century fellow as a disc jockey in Crystal Tokyo.
He's not "evil" enough to have been banished to Nemesis, but he chafes under the "utopia."
Almost like "I'm Here to Help," but not as antagonistic.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: hm
www.thekeep.org/~sean/fics.html
"Made of Stone"
Its by Sean Gaffney,
I'll second Millenials, On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, Children of Fire, and Destiny's Child.
+Gradient's works rank among my favorites. For the most part, each of the stories is a sort of character study of the senshi and even non-senshi from Sailor Moon. They're written in several different styles; The Weakest Link and Midnight Pirouette (the latter of which is a sequel) are written as surreal dramas, Peculiar (short for The Peculiar Case of the Countess Maria Contessa Alexia Anastasia von Hautkopft of Ulm and Her Birthday Present* is a farce, and The Bequeathers is an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous look into the mind of Rei.
*Strangely enough, the author manages to crossover Sailor Moon, Nadia, Aristocrats and Les Miserables.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Sailor Hellblazer is outright hilarious.
John Constantine, as a sailor senshi.
Sailor Moon V starts parallel to the first season and then takes several abrupt changes of course. For one thing in this, the Dark Kingdom is an actual kingdom rather than Beryl and a few goons.
Also, if you don't mind a crossover with Yoroiden Samurai Troopers, then Ronin Summer: Convergence or the original Ronin Summer and it's sequals are all good. RS:C is shorter, but the quality is improved.D for Drakensis
You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Oooh, forgot about this one. Strictly speaking, it's not Sailor Moon, but it's very very heavily influenced by it: Stephan Gagne's Sailor Nothing. Be forewarned, this is not a fic you can dump to a text file -- you have to read the chapters on the site, because most of them are more than just simple text. And I don't mean it's illustrated.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Quote:
Unfortunately, The Best Sailor Moon Fanfiction on the Net appears to have vanished,
Try the Internet Archive copy. The site appears to have been written with standards-compliant HTML, which means the Archive picked it up and converted the links...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
web.archive.org/web/20030...ncanz.com/ Finally, something with most of the cast. Destiny's Child is a Ranma 1/2 / Sailor Moon fusion ... and so is Sailor Ranko. Unfortunately, I don't know of an active site for this author, and the internet archive doesn't modify urls in pages, so you'll have to copy the link for any page you want to go to, and search the archive for it again. Sailor Ranko and some of the sequels written by other people can be found at www.burgerbill.com though.
Fire has a fanfiction account with some fics there: www.fanfiction.net/u/10379/
Red Moon from that link is one I'd recommend as a quick but fun read.
Thanks for the overwelmingly positive responce. I'm going to be rather busy for a while!
Well, I've just read Made of Stone and Trials and Errors. Made of Stone is just plain great. Sure, it's Sailor Moon. Sure, it's a Self-Instert... But damn if he didn't do a good job of it.
While MoS is a rare and precious gem, TaE is laugh-out-loud hilarity combined with deep themes. The plot is great. But! That scene where Serenity finally starts to meet up with the other senshi at the end of their first day at Club Pluto nearly made me fall out of my seat! Especially how poor Rei... Well, I won't spoil it for you. Suffice to say she's out of character with justifiable cause (obscure hint: Zaphod Beeblebrox, she is not).
Instant favorites, both of them, and also the source for some interesting character data that will be useful in my own writings.
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

Biles
Quote:
I always liked John Biles and Jeff Hosmer's Sailor Moon Z. Too bad they never finished it (and in fact seem to have retired altogether).
Sailor Moon Z may or may not be retired, but John Biles definitely hasn't - (slightly off the SM topic, but) he's currently writing a rather long School Rumble fic:
www.thekeep.org/~wombat/S...index.html
Re: More reccomendations...
This one's a bit of a stretch, as it's a crossover AND an AU at the same time, but the current arc of The Shadow Chronicles, On A Clear Day You Can See Forever is pretty doggone good.
You just have to keep in mind that the writer seems to have deliberately created a very alien culture to throw the protagonist off.
www.shadowchronicles.net/
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Yeah, agreed. OACD is damn good stuff. Very AU, but lots and lots of fun. Just wish he had more time to spend on writing it. [Image: smile.gif] --
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Sorry to be a thread jacker, but I thought I'd add my favorite SM stories...
Shades of Grey and it's sequel, Shades of Darkness, by Aaron Nowack. Very good stories, with intriging OC's.
Stories by His Lordship Chaos can be found on A Sailor Moon Romance [www.Moonromance.net. Several well written stories, both comedic and sad.
Some of my favorites:
1101 - A look at a dystopian future where the Outers are renegades, on the run from the Shadowgate Corp, which has taken over the city. (Series)
Touch & Go Carousel and its prequel, Neith - An engaging look at the past and the things we miss... especially if we never knew we had them in the first place.
Cat O' Nine Tails 1 & 2 - Centered around Artemis, pure comedy gold.
and finally, Mad Tea Party - "Can love stem from an imagination, a mere dream?" One of the _best_ SI fics ever written. This one had me tearing up. It's just that _good_.