Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haruhi != God?
Haruhi != God?
So, yeah. Nagato and Mikuru and Koizumi all think that she's the one behind warping reality all over the place. But, see, she wants life to be interesting and entertaining...
And they're hiding from her. Her life is, well, as dull as it can be given her personality.
Kyon's, on the other hand...
Or I could be completely off base because of having my viewing aborted indefinitely by computer troubles. But didn't his opening narration say that he had once wanted to believe in Haruhi's kind of crazy crap, but gave up on it as he grew up? And exactly who in this series ends up with the hot girlfriend, anyway?
Ja, -n
(somewhat inspired by Wish+15)

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Re: Haruhi != God?
That has been my theory from day one, and if Kyon was god it would be easy to fool other into thinking Haruhi is god (the Espers for instance just know Haruhi is god).
Also no-one seems to know Kyon's real name, wich is something he occasionaly gripes about but he doesn't reveal his name.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
My personal theory is that Haruhi is a camouflaged Marie Sue.
I mean, look at her. She's pretty, she's athletic, good at school and every single clubs of the school want her to join them. She does things that are impossible with ease and she is literally the most important person around.
Doesn't mean I don't like her or think she's a lot of fun to watch doing antics, but still, I think that's what she is.
"My personal theory is that Haruhi is a camouflaged Marie Sue."
No! she isnt camoflauged at ALL!
Thats where the comedy comes from, the whole SERIES is tongue in cheak.
Mmm... you're right. I say camouflaged because, officially, she's god, not a Marie Sue.
No, it's very different a Mary Sue is better than everyone else without a (good) reason, a god is better than everyone else because she is a god.Plus the author is male. I'd say Kyon is more of a Mary Sue than anyone else in the series.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Either she's a God, a proto-God, an ascended being, or Q's offspring. I vote on the last one.
Kyon being God....actually one of the attributes of God, (if I remember my catechism) is that God would not be aware of his divinity, which would apply also to Kyon.
Now for those who haven't read the novels. Remember the 1st episode of the series where people were talking about Haruhi drawing crazy designs in the first year of middle school?
Which would be 3 years ago at the start of the anime?
Spoiler in white..highlight:
Guess who was one who had Haruhi start the whole thing? Yup...it's Kyon! So if you are the one who created the being that created your world, does that make you God?
I think I hurt my head with that supposition..ouch!
Quote:
Or I could be completely off base because of having my viewing aborted indefinitely by computer troubles. But didn't his opening narration say that he had once wanted to believe in Haruhi's kind of crazy crap, but gave up on it as he grew up? And exactly who in this series ends up with the hot girlfriend, anyway?
which hot girlfriend?..Mikuru of the loli face and the large tracts of land?....the mysterious and cool Yuki..or the wild and crazt Haruhi? Right now, Kyon is not going steady.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:
which hot girlfriend?..Mikuru of the loli face and the large tracts of land?....the mysterious and cool Yuki..or the wild and crazt Haruhi? Right now, Kyon is not going steady.
...i had been thinking of haruhi, but, as should be no surprise to anyone who's paid attention to my usual opinions...
Yes!
ja, -n
(^_^)

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Hot Girlfriend
Quote:
...i had been thinking of haruhi, but, as should be no surprise to anyone who's paid attention to my usual opinions...
Yes!
Yes, Haruhi would be a catch for anyone hot-blooded male, but she'll always want to be the one on top of the relationship.
One of Kyon's classmates has classified Asahi as A++, essentially she's the idol of North High....pity anyone who tries to date her (it'll be like the seen for the KKK/NNN clubs in Shuffle!)...Nagato Yuki was rated as B+/A- by the same guy. She has her stalk...er.. admirers too!
BTW..how far had you gone with the anime?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Hot Girlfriend
Here's a frightening thought that occured to me. Suzumiya sure as hell looks like a Japanese phonetic take-on of Mary Sue. Think about it: Suzu- = Susie, -miya = Marie.
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

Re: Hot Girlfriend
Tsuruya is god.
Really, haven't you wondered why she laughs so much? It's because she's the only one in on a really funny joke. ^_^
-Morgan."I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, or espers here, come sleep with me."
---From "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
-----(Not really)
Theories on Kyon
I have two theories.
They both start with Kyon as God. Three years ago he met Haruhi and some big climactic event occurred (which would probably make a great prequel movie or maybe OVA). As a result he:
...gave her his divinity after wiping everyone's memory, including his own.
Or
...wiped everyone's memory, then hid his divinity from everyone, including himself. Haruhi's wishes are coming true because Kyon is unconsciously granting them through some bond created three years ago.

Freddy Isnot
"We humans are a curious sort...
Little girls like dolls and little boys like soldiers.
When we grow up, women like soldiers and men like dolls."
- Monee C. Kidd
fixed typos
-Freddy Isnot

"You are now graduated from newbie and are just clueless. Consider that a compliment."
-Zipcode
Re: Theories on Kyon
Quote:
Also no-one seems to know Kyon's real name, wich is something he occasionaly gripes about but he doesn't reveal his name.
I might be way off-base on this, but the impression I got is that it's only the readers/viewers who don't know his real name -- anyone in the story who cares to check the school records -- or who listened when he introduced himself at the start of classes -- knows it. They all just stopped using it after they picked up on the nickname his imoto-chan uses -- and he doesn't quite have enough willpower to demand that they use his proper name. Like poor "Osaka" in Azumanga Daioh, who hated being called that, but Tomo hung it on her, everyone else agreed (WHY?!), and she gave up fighting it.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Well I agree with the Kyon is god and Haruhi is his hand, so while Kyon wants the the more exciting, Haruhi's the one that makes things happen. More of a duality existance.
Some of the observations I made over the 14 Episodes:

SPOILERS: Hi-light to Veiw.

Both of them have the same color pallet for hair, eyes, and skin. They also have similar hair styles (though Nagato has the same style as well).
"Three Years Ago" would coincide with the start of middle school; when Kyon said he gave up on his childhood beliefs.
When they are in the alternate dimention (Episode 14/06), she gets mad at him for wanting to go back "But this is what you wanted!" Implying that she is at least subconciously aware of his wants. Also all the weird excitment always happens whenever Kyon narrates that he's getting bored.
Incidentally with the anachronic order (ooh new word of the day!) of the episodes. It means that over half the series occurs after Kyon has decieded to tell her about Espers, Time Traveler's and Aliens in the final scene. Which incidentally is when the SOS brigade just starts having fun with Espers, Time Travelers, and Aliens.
Still it seems that Kyon and Haruhi are keeping the other club members out of the fact that she knows these things. Although one would think that the Video she directed would clue them in ^_-. Then again if the others were not worried about Haruhi breaking the world when she gets bored then they might stop being in her club. And then Kyon would get bored and well...
Three years ago is when Kyon, having gone to the past, first met (chronologically speaking) Haruhi. Though he did so under the unimaginative nom-de-guerre of John Smith.
It's in the novels.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Time traveling. Huh, so at the end of the anime he doesn't remember Haruhi from three years ago before because he hasn't gone to meet her three years ago yet. Er. And he doesn't know he has powers because when he time traveled into the past his future self gave Haruhi his past self's powers(or at least created the bond so that Kyon grants Haruhi's wishes unconsciously) and sealed his past self's memories and knowledge of his powers. Or something like that? Is that clear? It makes sense in my head...
Maybe I should find some of these novels. I'll look for them with Google.
Freddy Isnot
Idiot! Our Iserlohn Station Fleet is undefeated. It's undefeated because we don't fight with an enemy we stand no chance of beating. What are you waiting for? Can't you run away any faster?
~Captain Nilsson from Legend of Galactic Heroes
-Freddy Isnot

"You are now graduated from newbie and are just clueless. Consider that a compliment."
-Zipcode
You can find the novels at project.baka-tsuki.net//index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi
Still, I must point out that they make very clear that the one with the reality-bending power is indeed Haruhi. Kyon is just the poor guy who has been made aware of it and must clean up after her.
NN
I haven't finished reading the books yet (I"m up to Volume 3 Lone Island Syndrome) but I don't remember them really making the Haruhi = God explicit in any of the earilier books. Is it is a latter one?
Also, I suggest at the very least reading the section on their movie making (Episode 0), then watching the episode again and seeing how much stuff you may have missed. Like Kyon nearly getting killed by the Mikuru Beam. And why Kyon's cat talks only that one time.
Edit: Ooo, and in Episode 1, Haruhi asks if she's met Kyon before, a long time ago.--
Comb your hair, damn anime hippies.
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
Haruhi=God is merely an interpretation of Haruhi's power by a small faction of the esper's Agency (o so Itsuki told Kyon - you can't really believe anything he says). I doubt the author himself knows (or cares) about the real nature of that power.
It is the simple sheer accumulation of weird stuff that Kyon finds preposterous or aggravating but that would make perfect sense for Haruhi that makes clear that she is the source of it.
NN
So, I dunno having not seen much of this thing..
"Hey, Kiddo."
"Haruhi-san...you don't look so good."
"Ah- ah -ah, Hi Aunt Skuld fancy meeting you here haha isn't the weather great today -"
"Not flying, twerp. You're so grounded when Onesama hears of this. Did you even bother to check in?"
"...I left a note for dad?"
The black haired woman's stare ratched up a few notches in intensity.
"...with Grandpa?"
"-SO- Grounded. Be glad you didn't get caught by Urd, she'd never let you hear the end of it. So, what's fun around here?"
I'm not saying this makes sense or anything - Haveing not seen any Haruhi yet - but I obviously need to if just hearing about it gives me this idea...
I'm just saying, is all... XD
Update:
volume 7, chapters 2 and 3 has been translated. See the usual site.
The author just opened up a whole new avenue in the form of Tsuruya-san.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
More updates:
Hie thee to the Baka-Tsuki site! The translators just fininshed 2 new chapters!
Oh no! Someone kidnapped Mikuru-chan!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Update on the Novels
All of Chapter 8 has been translated
Some spoilers:
1. Kyon's first crush....naughty, naughty!
2. Mikuru finds out who the genius who postulated the theory of time travel!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Another Update
At www12.brinkster.com/stratoct/haruhi.htm you can find the translation for an uncollected Haruhi story ("Haruhi Theater").
There also is the translation for the Drama CD released last January, which is well worth a read even if you don't have the sound (though you can easily Google a torrent for it)
NN