Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Naruto] Softness
[Naruto] Softness
I came up with this short little thing after reading the latest chapter of the Naruto manga (342); it plays off of the last scene of that chapter.
I posted a slightly earlier draft of this to the FFML; if you read that one there's no significant changes.
All comments are, of course, appreciated.

Softness
A Naruto Fanfic
By: Aaron Nowack
"You didn't kill any of them. You're still too soft."
"They aren't the ones I want to kill."

Disclaimer: This story is based of the Naruto manga, which belongs to Kishimoto Masashi, who is not me. Therefore, Naruto does not belong to me; I'm merely borrowing it. The text of this story is mine, however, and I'd appreciate it if it was not stolen. Joke goes here.

"You know, Sasuke-kun," Kabuto chided as his softly glowing hands moved lower down on the younger man's bare back, "there's a difference between hiding weakness and stupidity."
The Uchiha shifted, instinctively pulling away from the chilly heat of the medical ninja's chakra. As if to compensate, he then pushed back, pressing against Kabuto's hands as though it would make the healing process go faster. His only response to Kabuto's comment was a grunt.
After almost three years, Kabuto was well-trained in interpreting the varied grunts Orochimaru's current apprentice produced, and he knew this one meant, "Shut up and heal me. I'm not here for conversation." Kabuto enjoyed annoying Sasuke, though, and he was in no mood to take the boy's orders.
"I mean," Kabuto continued, "it's hardly going to reflect poorly on you if you said something like, 'Orochimaru-sama, one of those dozen highly-trained jounin I just defeated hit me with some sort of nasty poison. Kabuto-san might want to look at it before it spreads to every tissue in my body."
Sasuke grunted again, and this time it meant, "I wouldn't call him that."
"No, you wouldn't call him Orochimaru-sama," Kabuto agreed. "It wouldn't hurt you to, though." The glow around his hands died, and they pulled away from Sasuke's back.
"You're the only one who seems to care about that," Sasuke said.
Kabuto picked up a white towel and began to wipe away the sickly green, half-solid mess that had emerged from Sasuke's back. "This used to be part of your liver," he commented, before responding to Sasuke's comment. "You're right, Orochimaru-sama doesn't care. But that's because he doesn't understand you." He sighed. "Not that it will matter, in the end," he added, and the towel brushed against the dark cursed seal on Sasuke's shoulder.
"And you do understand me?" Sasuke asked dryly.
"I've been watching you for many years, Sasuke-kun. Since... well, you know when you would have become of interest to Orochimaru-sama."
Sasuke gave the grunt that meant, "Itachi," and Kabuto nodded.
"I would say, Sasuke-kun, that I probably know you better than anyone." He set aside the now-filthy towel, a green glow surrounding his hands again before they returned to Sasuke's back. "Orochimaru-sama doesn't care about your insolence because he thinks it means you don't respect him."
Sasuke responded with a grunt. "I don't," Kabuto read.
"Yes, you do, in a way," Kabuto replied. "Otherwise you wouldn't have come to him to help you in your revenge." He didn't say anything for some time.
"So what do you think my... insolence means?" Sasuke prompted after a while.
"It means that you don't fear him," Kabuto stated. "I correct you for your own good, Sasuke-kun. If you don't learn to fear Orochimaru-sama -"
"He won't kill me," Sasuke said, and it was the truth.
"No, but he could make your life much less pleasant," Kabuto said. "You don't fear him, and because of that one day you'll cross him stupidly." The medical ninja sighed. "And then you'll learn to fear the hard way."
"Hmph." Kabuto knew that Sasuke meant that to signal the end of the conversation.
That meant that he was going to continue it, of course. "That's why you shouldn't worry about what Orochimaru-sama said."
"Because I don't fear him?"
"No," Kabuto said, pausing to take a fresh towel and begin to wipe away another layer of poisoned mush from Sasuke's back. He made a mental note to save a sample to reverse-engineer this poison from before continuing. "Because he doesn't understand you."
"He thinks I'm soft," Sasuke said, and there was anger in his voice.
"And Orochimaru-sama is wrong," Kabuto replied. "You didn't kill those men because you didn't want or have to, that's all. You wouldn't have hesitated if you wanted or had to."
Sasuke grunted in agreement, wincing slightly as Kabuto pressed down a little too hard on a sore spot.
"Sorry," Kabuto apologized guiltlessly. He worked in silence for a moment, then said, "They weren't the ones you wanted to kill, huh?"
"No," Sasuke said.
"It wasn't too long ago," Kabuto said mildly, "that Orochimaru-sama and I had to stop you from killing Naruto-kun and Sakura-san." The medical ninja smiled, though he knew Sasuke couldn't see. "It's not just Itachi you want to kill."
Sasuke grunted.
Kabuto's smile widened. "And that's how I know that I understand you better than those two," he said. "Because if they knew you as I do, they wouldn't chase so hard after their own deaths."
Sasuke didn't grunt, and Kabuto laughed slightly, then returned to work.
No, Uchiha Sasuke wasn't soft at all.

Author's Random Ramblings
No, I don't think that this is what Kishimoto meant by that last scene. It's much more likely it's intended to start portraying Sasuke in a more redeemable fashion.
But... well, it's hard not to interpret that, given his behavior toward Naruto and Sakura before, they must be numbered among "the ones he wants to kill." And so... this.
Aaron Nowack

Aaron Nowack
Re: [Naruto] Softness
Quote:
But... well, it's hard not to interpret that, given his behavior toward Naruto and Sakura before, they must be numbered among "the ones he wants to kill." And so... this.
Hm. I think that that's very simple to explain, actually - given what Sasuke knows about the Mangekyou, it'll be utterly neccessary for him to have it in order to defeat Itachi... and there's only one way to activate it.
Of course, given that Kakashi found a way, it's obvious that Weaselpants is full of it, but Sasuke has no way of knowing that.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
Quote:
Of course, given that Kakashi found a way, it's obvious that Weaselpants is full of it, but Sasuke has no way of knowing that.
Actually, that was what all the angsting in front of the monument was for. He was steadily convincing himself he'd killed Obito, and finally reached such a critical level of EMO that his Deus Ex Machingan version went online.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Quote:
Hm. I think that that's very simple to explain, actually - given what Sasuke knows about the Mangekyou, it'll be utterly neccessary for him to have it in order to defeat Itachi... and there's only one way to activate it.
Sasuke's decided not to follow Itachi's path to power, though. He had his chance to kill Naruto and get the Mangekyou, and he turned his back on it. It's possible he may have changed his mind, but that hasn't been explicitly shown yet.
My own interpretation is that he wants to kill Naruto (and at least for the purposes of this little story-let, Sakura also) in order to prove to himself that he's severed those bonds and that he doesn't care about them anymore. (Perhaps even to get real proof by killing Naruto and not getting the Mangekyou.)
Which in its own twisted way shows that he does still care, of course.
I doubt it's what Kishimoto intends, but it has a decent amount of story potential, I think.
Aaron Nowack

Aaron Nowack
Griever.... That... That was beautiful....
*gets teary-eyed*
It is beautiful, isn't it? And yet, so right. I mean, I can honestly believe that explanation. =)
With regards to the story...that's a pretty interesting read on things. It makes sense as well, certainly. Then again, Sasuke's head is such a tortured and messed-up place, I ain't really sure I wanna go there. But still...yeah.
-- Acyl