Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retraining
Retraining
Edited for a small, but blatant, screw up.
There is a huge plot point at the end of the first major over-arch that I've had planned for the longest time. Basicly, through some miracle of The Trinity's working, Rhodes, and, by association, Alita too, get bodies that seem a lot more human.
How human? Lemme put it this way: they bleed red and they can have kids. Of course, this means they'll have inherent weaknesses. Sure, they'll have stronger-than-normal-human constitutions, but they're a lot easier to kill in Human Mode.
Yeah, that's right. Human Mode. They're gonna have an alternate form that rivals being a Manticore, but attaining it is another matter.
And so, our intrepid heroes, now finding themselves cut-free from the UNSC, are sent off by the Trinity to a new school... As kids. Thing is, though, where Ben and Alita are going they're gonna need one more partner in crime...
The following was RPed out between a friend of mine (You folks will be seeing her on the boards as IzuruAkiko) and myself, and then edited into it's current form by yours truly. Naruto based fiction here. Feel free to point out any blatant goof-ups or inconsistencies - this cut is meant to be shot down in flames if it can't fly well enough.

The full moon lit the forest below in the middle of the night as a strange figure stealthily made its way through the woods. With as little as she wore, it was impossible to mistake Izuru Akiko for anything but female.
Ninja hardly ever do things like this for personal gain they do it either because its what theyve been hired to do so. This was not the case for Akiko, though. She was following leads that she was hoping that would lead to an old acquaintance; someone whod left her village and ruined her chances of becoming a hunter-nin.
At last, she came to a stop. In the distance was a hideout with a distinctive snake symbol. It seemed that her journey was at an end, but she still had to find him. It was not for certain that hed be there, after all. However, just the chance that he would was worth the trip to come and check it out. If he was, she fully intended to make him pay for her humiliation.
Slowly, cautiously, she approached the hideout and went inside, taking one of the one of the ensconced torches nearby down the stairs with her. There were traps to be sure, and guards as well, but the traps were easily avoided and the men where merely there to ward off bandits they were far outclassed by Akiko.
Finally, she reached the heart of the hide out from where Orochimaru would direct his operations But instead found an empty room.
God damn you, Orochimaru! she cursed in frustration. This had been the fifth hideout she had raided and it born no more fruit than her previous attempts to find the missing-nin. He had been crafty indeed to lay the trail of misinformation that had led her astray. Heaven only knew where he was by now and it would be futile to even continue searching for clues.
Why do I even bother? she muttered to herself as she turned and left the empty room.
The full weight of her failure began to hit her as she left the hideout. Had it been worth it to leave Konoha to find him? Had it been worth the waste of time and energy? To be sure, she could lead a very good life in any number of positions as a Ninja, but it would not be what she wanted. Not at all.
At that moment, everything fell utterly and terribly silent. There was no wind. The birds and insects all around didn't move. There wasn't even the sound of the hide out settling into its foundations. It was as though time itself has forgotten about her. Akiko had just enough time to become very, very suspicious when she heard the bell-toned voice of a woman behind her.
Akiko. She spun around to face the source of this voice, but did not attack if it had been an assassin sent by Orochimaru then she would have been dead already. What she was, though, went far beyond her expectations, for stood a young woman with a gentle face marked with strange blue tattoos and was framed by a fall of long, beautiful, honey-blonde hair. She wore colorful and insanely elaborate, yet beautiful, robes that were nothing at all like anything Akiko had ever seen in her life.
The hell? said Akiko, completely taken aback by this womans appearance. Who are you?
Akiko, she said once more in that mesmerizing, bell-toned voice of hers. Do you wish that your life could be different now?
What kind of question is that? she said, utterly confused now. And how do you know my name?
Akiko, said another womans voice, only this one was deep, husky, sultry, and coming from somewhere off to her left side. Unable to resist the call of such a voice, she turned and saw a new woman, taller and more mature than the first one, with dark, swarthy skin and long hair the color of new-fallen snow. Her clothes were in the colors black and crimson were very risqu. She also had strange blue markings on her face similar to the first womans.
Akiko, she said once more, ensuring that she had her undivided attention. Do you regret your choices in the past? This time, Akikos resolve gave way and she could not stop herself from answering this question.
Yes, I she faltered. She the went on contritely, I regret leaving Konoha. I regret throwing away everything I had worked for to find my sensei.
Akiko, came another voice, this one belonging to a girl-child and coming from somewhere behind her. Completely enraptured, she could not stop herself from turning to see who it was. It was indeed a little girl, no older than nine or ten years old, with long raven black hair and simpler clothes in light pink and red. Oddly enough she seemed to be wearing a huge and ornate hammer on her back and a tool belt around her waist. She had strange blue marks on her face as well.
Akiko, do you want a chance for a better future? asked the child.
Anything is better than the mess I have made for myself, she said sadly without hesitation.
Are you willing to start over again to make amends? said the sultry voiced woman behind her.
Akiko turned and nodded yes.
Are you willing to accept the compassion and assistance of others and return it to them in kind? said the bell-tone voiced woman.
Akiko turned to her and stammered, I I am.
Are you willing to give more thought to your decisions in regards to your future? said the child.
Yes I am willing to, said Akiko. Then, some semblance of sense returned to her and she asked, But why are you asking me these questions? And who are you?
In response, the sultry voiced woman and the child stepped closer to the bell-tone voiced woman.
We represent The Trinity, they intoned together and as they did it was as though a great bell had been rung and the world around her was shuddering with its force.
Past, said Sultry.
Present, said Bell-tones.
Future, said the Child.
These are our aspects, they intoned together once more.
Akiko then fully comprehended her situation and could only nod numbly.
We, here and now, set a task before you, said the bell-toned one.
Aid our chosen warriors in their studies, said the sultry voiced one.
And your efforts will be rewarded, said the Child.
Do you accept? all three said at once.
You want me to look after your chosen warriors and train them? she said, unable to keep the fearful edge out of her voice. The three only stared back at her intensely.
Yes, said Akiko after thinking about it for a moment. I accept the responsibility.
So mote it be, then, they intoned one final time and then everything whited out. Akiko did not know what was going to happen now, but she accepted it as her consciousness blurred away.
Hey, Akiko! Wake up! said the voice of a boy that she did not know No, wait, she did know him. He was Ruhodesu Benjamin, an orphan that lived here in Konoha with her. Akiko stirred for a moment and cracked open an eye to look at the baby-faced dark-maned boy who stood in front of some bright light source possibly an open window. She groaned and screwed her eye shut against the exceedingly loud photons.
Cant I at least get a few more minutes? she mumbled, daring to open that eye and then clamping it shut again when the light seared her eye.
Cmon Akiko! said a girls voice that seemed strange No, she knew her too. Her name was Yokano Alita and she was another orphan that lived with her. Were gonna be late to meet our new instructor!
At that she sat up an opened her eyes to look at the two blearily. She felt utterly dazed and confused and not just because she was waking up. It was as if she knew these two, but, at the same time, didnt; she knew who they were, knew that shed known them for quite some time. It was an odd feeling, but she shook it off, chalking it up to the weird dream she had been having. What the hell had that been anyways?
Alright, alright, she grumbled as she stretched and yawned. Geeze, you guys cant let me sleep in even if its for a few moments?
Are you nuts!? said Ben. If you dont get dressed were gonna be late to meet our Genin Instructor!
Hai, hai, Akiko replied, tuning him out, but I wanted to sleep in a little longer.
Geeze, and I thought I was the guy who wasnt the morning person, muttered Ben. Whatever. Looks like youre gonna need some help. Ill leave you two girls so you can get dressed. So saying, Ben left to wait outside.
Yeah, see you later, Ben-chan, replied Akiko groggily. She then threw the covers off and Alita helped her up and over to the dresser, where there just happened to be a full-length mirror. Akiko was muttering about teacher schedules when she chanced to look into said mirror. She stopped in mid syllable, and pointed.
AAAGGHHH! she said, and pointed once again.
What!? Whats wrong? cried out Alita, concerned and not understanding what was up with her friend.
My boobs are gone! she yelled as she pointed at the reflection of her chest in the mirror. And Im short! she added.
What are you talking about? said Alita, a bit disgustedly. Youre only twelve, just like me Though itd be nice if we did have boobs already, she conceded.
Wha!? Akiko cried out, snapping around to look at Alita. You said Im only twelve!? But Im twenty-three Or was that in the dream? But that couldnt be. I know I had passed the Genin exam and become a Jounin. I know I did
Alita only shook her head and sighed as she got the essentials out of Akikos dresser for her.
You must have been sleeping a lot more deeply than we thought, she said as she then pushed a bundle of clothes into Akikos arms. Here, get dressed. Ben-kun is waiting and we dont have time for this. Akiko snapped out of it and started getting dressed.
I still dont understand, she said as she pulled her tank top off over her head, still confused from her dream.
Too bad we dont have time for coffee, said Alita, somewhat darkly, in response as she began to gather Akikos shrunken, kunai, and other ninja tools and weapons. You shouldnt stay up so late.
Akiko nodded. Maybe it was just a dream and Im overreacting, she thought aloud. Once she was dressed, Alita then shoved the weapons and equipment into Akikos arms.
You can put them on when we get there. Lets just hurry.
Okay, okay, replied Akiko a bit franticly now that she realized that they were indeed in a hurry. Together, they charged out the door and past Ben who had been patiently waiting for them outside.
About time! he said as he caught up. Lets go!
Genin Team 11 made it with no time to spare. Initially, this was much to their chagrin. Once they got there though, they quickly became relieved, as their instructor was not there yet. Relief turned to annoyance once more, though, as their instructor did not arrive for hours.
Where in the blue blazes is this guy? said Ben, using his alien vernacular once more. Akiko looked at her teammate oddly and sighed.
Okay, this is not fair! she said as she got up and faced her other teammates. All the other teams already got their instructors and left and ours hasnt even shown up yet! Even Team Sevens instructor showed up and theyve all gone to get lunch!
Alita sighed as well. I know. This isn't normal. It's like we're being tested or something. The very thought made Akiko so angry that she grabbed a chair and an eraser and did the exact same thing Naruto did to see if their teacher was just that lame or not.
Uhm, not exactly my first choice, said Ben. If Alita's right then we should do a little more than just that.
Ambush? suggested Alita.
Well I wouldnt go that far, said Akiko. But at least Ill get a good laugh at this.
Alita rolled her eyes and Ben made a silent oookayyyy...
Ignoring this byplay, Akiko got down, put the chair back, and waited for the instructor to show up so she could see if Narutos trick would work.
You know, this isn't exactly the best first impression, said Ben.
Akiko gave Ben a sidelong look. And you think being late is?
That too, he conceded.
If I was a jounin and I was assigned a team, then I would make sure I was not late at all.
You're too noisy, deadpanned Alita.
At that point, a tall and whiplash-thin jounin with a mask that covered all his face except his right eye walked in as he opened the door only to be hit on the head by the eraser.
Akiko proceeded to laugh herself silly. Gotcha! she cried out between laughs. I cant believe you fell for it!
Ben just smiled and shook his head. Alita rolled her eyes once more and wondered why this silly girl was her friend again.
The instructor looked at the loud genin and the two quite ones. Hmm, he said as he put his hand to his chin. How shall I put this?
Akiko stopped laughing and looked at him, confused a by his behavior.
Based on my first impression I'd have to say, he said, throwing in a dramatic pause, I hate you.
Akiko promptly looked embarrassed.
What? said Alita in deadpan tone again.
Ben blinked. Awfully quick to judge, there, aren't'cha?
Akiko was not one to take insults lying down, however, and snapped out of her fit of embarrassment.
Hey! Thats not fair at all!
The instructor just looked at the three. They looked like misfits but who knows what events were to rise. They might actually surprise him. He then moved to the center of the classroom were he leaned up against the desk.
Alright, he said. Now, I'd like you all to tell us a little about yourselves.
Akiko only glared at their new instructor. Like what? Hmm?
Aki-chan! said Alita chastisingly.
Akiko shot a look back at Alita. What?
The instructor looked at Akiko and thought, Great, a loud mouth.
Well you know, he said. The usual. Your favorite things. What you hate most. Dreams, ambitions, things like that.
Well I wont share a single thing to a complete stranger unless you share first, Sensei, said Akiko vehemently. Ben chuckled at that. Leave it to Akiko to turn the tables like that.
Alita sighed and privately thought to herself, I hope none of my children are that ill mannered.
Oh, me? said the Instructor glibly. My name is Hatake Kakashi. I'm the kind of person who doesn't feel like talking about his likes and dislikes. My dreams for the future are none of your business. But anyways, I have lots of hobbies.
Akiko looked at her friends and whispered, Hey, he said a lot, but so far we only learned his name.
Ben shrugged. I'd give it some time. He then turned to Kakashi and said, The name's Ruhodesu Benjamin. I like good food, good friends, and a good fight. What I hate is people doing idiotic things. My dream is to become a highly skilled ninja so I can protect my friends.
Alright, said Kakashi. Who else will volunteer?
Akiko raised her hand. I will! she practically yelled. My name is Izuru Akiko, and my dream is to grow up and be the best hunter-nin there is! What I dislike the most is preppy girls that think they look better then the rest. She crossed her arms haughtily at the statement. What I like to do in my spare time is take naps and have good dreams. Though lately theyve been pretty weird.
Weird how so? asked Ben.
Well I dream that I was a different person Though I dont think she was very happy.
Kakashi nodded at this thoughtfully. Very strange, indeed.
Guess that leaves me, said Alita unenthusiastically. I'm Yokano Alita. My favorite thing is music. The things I hate the most are Evil Eye Butterflies and guys who think theyre all tough and macho. My dream is to marry Ben-chan, have a family, and fight by his side.
To many people, that would have come across as an extremely bold statement for a girl Alitas age while they do have their crushes, they dont usually come right on out and say whom they intend to marry, especially not in the intended husbands presence. But what most people dont know is that Alita is a very bold person who cares little about what others think of her life decisions, except maybe Ben.
Ben, himself, was not surprised. Long before they wound up like this they had decided that they were going to get married someday.
Akiko, however, who was just now joining the gang in a metaphysical sense, was completely taken by surprise, but not unhappily so.
Well whens the wedding!? Akiko cried out.
As a reward, Ben grabbed her up in a headlock the way a loving big brother is apt to do so with a younger sibling who just said something incredible dumb.
Kakashi eyed the byplay with much amusement. Well it's kind of obvious that young girls are more interested in love then Ninjutsu.
Humph! said Alita.
Leggo! Leggo! snarled Akiko adorably as she struggled ineffectually against Ben. Argh! Im going to make sure that youre wedding will be an embarrassing one for you, Ruhodesu Benjamin, if you dont let go!
Silly, said Ben fondly and he let her go. Freed from the headlock, Akiko straightened her hair and then smacked Ben in the back of the head.
Dont do that again!
Ben only blew a quick raspberry at her in reply.
Ugh, you two! said Alita in exasperation.
And that would be a preview of your future, Kakashi stated sagely to Alita, who gave him a look that could have vaporized him if looks could kill. Wow, she can be pretty scary, thought Kakashi as he gave her a nervous smile. In that case, I dont envy Benjamin very much at all.
All I ask for is to be the best man, said Akiko. Even though I am a girl. I dont like wearing dresses and I refuse to wear one.
Well, that was fun, said Ben glibly. What's next?
Well, said Kakashi, I believe we know have a good understanding of each other. Formal training begins tomorrow.
Hai! said Akiko energetically. And what will we be doing?
Our first project only involves the members of this cell, went on Kakashi.
What is it?! cried out Akiko impatiently.
Kakashi smiled under his mask. Survival exercises.
Survival, huh? said Alita quietly.
Survive exercises? said Akiko dejectedly.
Didn't we learn that in school? said Ben.
And why is that a mission? demanded Akiko.
Kakashi looked at them wearily. You will have to survive against me. It wont be your typical practice.
Well, what kind of practice will it be? said Akiko. Kakashi chuckled at the question and Akiko got red in the face.
Hey! Whats so funny, Sensei?
Ladies and gentlemen. My adoptive sister, the machine gun, deadpanned Ben.
Akiko gave Ben a sidelong glare. I am not a machine gun!
Well, maybe if you didn't rapid-fire your questions, said Alita tiredly.
Hey, Id rather ask questions than look stupid and not ask them at all.
Kakashi cleared his throat. Oh, its nothing. It's just... If I told you, you'd chicken out.
Us? Chicken out? said Ben with a feral grin. Try us. Of course, he could say things like that. He's had more than a few things try to eat him before. And that was when he was a cyborg. Alita, however, had not shared in all of Bens adventurous exploits.
Ben, not all of us are as inherently overconfident as you, said Alita chidingly. Akiko, though, looked a little confused at his statement despite Bens confidence.
Why would we chicken out? she asked.
Well of the twenty-seven members of your graduating class, said Kakashi explanatorily, only nine will actually be accepted as junior level shinobi. Of course, the other eighteen must go back for more training. The test we are about to perform has a 66% rate of failure.
Ben made an appreciative whistle at that.
Alita only shrugged as though to say, Oh well. Dem's da breaks.
Gah! cried out Akiko, causing Kakashi to laugh. That laugh, though, only served to solidify Akikos determination. Well, even so, I wont give up just because it has a 66% rate of failure! I studied and trained so I could pass and I am not going to let this test set me back!
Ah, what she said, said Ben, only a bit more quietly.
I've never backed down from a challenge, said Alita with a feral grin.
So, said Akiko, her confidence bolstered by the affirmation of her friends, when do we meet up for the test, Kakashi Sensei?
Kakshi smiled under his mask once more. Maybe this team did have what it takes.
Well, it seems we have eager team mates. In any case, we'll meet tomorrow morning on the practice field so that I can evaluate each of your skills and weaknesses. Bring all your ninja tools and weapons. And dont have breakfast before hand... unless you enjoy throwing up.
HUH? said Ben at the last bit.
Kakashi walked over to them and handed out papers to Akiko, Ben, and Alita
The details of your assignment are on these handouts. Memorize them and dont be late. Akiko looked at Kakashi in confusion.
Throw up? she said worriedly. How hard is this examination exercise going to be?!
Kakashi, though, only waved and disappeared in the puff of spoke.
Hard enough, I guess, said Alita.
Well said Akiko, thinking this turn of events over. Hmm. Well are you guys gonna have breakfast in the morning?
I dunno, said Ben.
Five bucks says that he does, and pukes, said Alita to Akiko.
Oooh! Youre on! said Akiko in reply to the wager. Ben only raised an eyebrow at that. In fact, ten bucks says he pukes with in the hour!
If we're up against a jounin, this exercise could be measured in seconds, said Alita.
But I dont think hes a jounin, said Akiko as she read the paper then crumpled it up and stuffed it in a pocket.
Looks can be deceiving, said Ben, who then muttered under his breath, Boy, do I know it
Anyways, said Akiko, when is the big wedding!? Neh? Neh? she asked happily, nudging Alitas shoulder. And do I get to be best man or woman or whatever? Just as long as I dont have to wear a girly dress
Alita suddenly hooked an arm over Akikos shoulders and bent to whisper in her ear, Aki-chan, didn't I tell you before?
What? replied Akiko, trying to jog her memory for whatever girl-talk theyd had before.
Ugh! Baka! hissed Alita disgustedly. I told you we were up too late that night.
No, Im sure you did, said Akiko appealingly. Alita still didnt look all that pleased. Okay, okay, dont tell me, dont tell me. It will come to me. All I recall from last night were Hmm going into a hide out, but what was I searching for? Or was that the dream? Argh! It was obvious that she was starting to get frustrated as she began to tug on her hair.
Akiko? Are you okay? said Alita, genuinely concerned. Ben even took noticed, outsider that he was on the female conspiracies.
Akiko seemed to give up and sighed. Yeah, I'm okay. I just keep remembering bits and pieces of last night, but sometimes they feel like a dream and I cant remember last nights conversation at all. Its very frustrating.
Ben and Alita briefly gave each other significant looks. They, too, had an experience like this one, and now they were starting to wonder about their adoptive sister. But now wasnt the time to discuss something like that.
Okay, no more late nights for you, said Ben. Bed. Early. Period. Alita will make sure of it.
That I will, she confirmed.
Ah, geeze! wailed Akiko. Who made you guys my sleep patrol! Later, she reflected that it was remarkable, to say the least, how mature those two seemed. At times, anyways.

As I said before, feel free to shoot this one down in flames if you feel moved to do so.
Hey Valles! Wanna make this a parellel development to TGNH or has that already progressed too far?
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

Re: Retraining
OH yay! I am here to post my support for the fine editing for this story. I am glad we got to role play it first before making it a story. Its always fun to bring characters to life through role play! (>'')> [Image: roll.gif]
"they do it either because its what theyve been hired to do so. " or they do it for what?
And Urds clothes being risque, form the perspective of a Naruto-ninja? half of the older female ninjas are at least as risque or more so. (Anko comes to mind) Remember whose perspective you are talking from. Although I get the impression that Akiko is a replacement for Anko.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Quote:
"they do it either because its what theyve been hired to do so. " or they do it for what?
Errr, that would be an editorial whoopsie! For the time being, just disregard the fact that "either" is there.
As for risque, you got me there. I'll go ahead and fix that one up in the next editorial sweep.
Thanks a bunch. ^_^

Akiko is not a replacement for Anko, sorry about that confusion. I have yet to come up with a background for her as of yet but once I d it will all be explained who she is what her motives are and why she in the story to begin with. I am sorry once more for the confusion and will try to explain Akiko next time I dont encounter writers block.
"I hate you" is not an insult. It's not real friendly, but it's not an insult.
Also...
"We represent the Tri-i-ni-ty, the Tri-i-ni-ty, the Tri-i-ni-ty."
*coughs*
"We represent Orochi-ma-ru, Orochi-ma-ru, Orochi-ma-ru"
(cue scene of Munchkin Kombat)
I may have been spending a wee bit too much time on the CTSNB thread recently.
"And in the name of Orochi-ma-ru, we welcome you to Sound Nin land" 8P__________________
We are not ninjas, we are a hedge. Please move along.
oh wow, so many little problems our story has. Well I guess we live and learn from our mistakes.
Never said it was an insult. NOte that Ben and Alita, while taken aback, didn't react anywhere nearly as badly Akiko. I'll leave that explaination to my co-author, but I'm pretty sure it's do due high levels of hot-headedness. ^_^
I mean, really, when you're as hot-headed as Naruto, you're not gonna take kindly to something that's not technically an insult.

--- Based on my first impression I'd have to say, he said, throwing in a dramatic pause, I hate you.
and then, a few beats later...
--- Akiko was not one to take insults lying down, however, and snapped out of her fit of embarrassment.
I can't see anything that she would have been reacting to except for Kakashi's line. If she was reacting to Kkashi's line, you're certainly heavily implyings that it's an insult. If you just say "such things" rather than "insults", it dodges that. There are better fixes, but I'm not running on enough cylendars to come up with them right now.
Gah! I missed that too!
Thanks Sirrocco. I oughta take my own advice about sleeping habits.

Its ok, we make mistakes and have people point them out to us so we can correct it.