Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passing Torches (plus challenge)
Re: Lousy Dad's association
Dear LORD, Drakensis. Evangelion meets The Order of The Stick? >_<

...bwahahahahaha. YES.
-- Acyl
one night's ghost story
This came out of left field, and Africa.

"Cold out tonight," the voice startled him, nearly making him jump from where he was staring into the sputtering remains of the fire. "Coffee?"
He accepted the mug of steaming liquid, took a sip, and nearly choked. Then glared at ...
... a man he hadn't ever seen before, neither among the crew of the Archangel, nor among the Desert Dawn. He ought to know, since he had eidetic memory.
He shot upright and to the opposite side of the fire on instinct, bringing the obstruction between himself and a potential threat ... who wasn't doing much of anything at all, other than drinking from a mug like the one he'd given Kira.
"Well?" the white-haired stranger commented with a chuckle, but no hostility. "You going to run off, call for somebody, or sit down before you fall down and have a drink with me before something important gets frozen off? I wasted some good single malt to spike this stuff, you know."
"Who are you?" the brown-haired teen asked, cautiously sitting down and eyeing the mug distrustfully. "Are you ZAFT?"
"I'm no one of consequence," was the reply. "Not in the here and the now, at least."
"I'm supposed to believe you just wandered in from the desert, ignoring the sentries and sensors, to share a mug of ..."
"Irish coffee?"
"... irish coffee."
"Maybe. What, don't believe in coincidence?"
"... not hardly."
"Good for you, then. On the other hand, I could just ask you what you were doing out here alone, so late at night, and not really dressed the part either."
"I can't see how that's any business of yours," mumbled the youth. "And the uniform's insulated."
"So, not brooding about the war and having to drop the hammer on other people, despite the fact that they're mostly just following orders, but for the other side?"
The uniformed young man stiffened.
"Let me tell you something, fighting's never going to be a pretty affair, but do you think it'd be better if you don't? You're not the first person to have to deal with this, you know, and no matter the efforts, you likely won't be the last. Does that mean you should just stop and hang your head at the futility of it all?"
The fire crackled for a moment.
"Eh. But I'm rambling. Sorry. The point is, you'll figure out your own way to get through all this crap eventually, if you don't give up halfway. Somehow, you don't seem like the type to me," red eyes glinted in the firelight for a moment, before the stranger picked himself up with deliberate slowness. "And I've got someplace else to be in a little while, so I guess this is it for my crappy attempt at a pep-talk."
Kira Yamato snorted, but his eyes went wide a moment later when the stranger simply snapped out of existence right in front of him.
The Gundam pilot leapt to his feet once more, rounding the fire with his senses alert, but ... still, there was nobody there. And it seemed as though there never had been. Or it would have, if it weren't for the mug in his hand ...
... or the small bag that had been left behind beside where the stranger had sat himself.
With a sort of slow, morbid curiosity, Kira placed the cooling remains of the drink aside and opened the bag.
He recoiled almost immediately, nearly screaming out.
After all, a polished, damn near _gleaming_ ivory skull wasn't something you saw every day.
When he got his heartbeat back under control, though, he noticed two silver glints inside the skull ... or what looked like one at first glance, since upon closer examination he saw it was actually a very detailed ivory sculpture.
They were a couple of rings, heavy with both the silver alloy they'd been fashioned of and with something more he couldn't really define.
And there was a note, sort of hastily scrawled, and in romanji, but he could read it well enough.
These might help you find focus when you're having doubts. They're heirloms of a sort, though anyone who could lay claim and be worthy of them is long dead these days. Take care of them, and they'll take care of you. And ask the little desert princess to tell you the legend of the Ghost Who Walks. You'll know why.
Now all we need is somebody taking care of Allard's crimson scarf and fire-opal ring.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Re: hazard pay
Quote:
Heh. Sadly, they likely wouldn't live in the same timeline, unless it was a sort of amalgam. That was 2040 Linna, you see, right after the first episode of the TV series (because the techno-organic Guyver would fit in with that reality better).
*blinkblink*
*sigh* yes, I suppose it would, although given some of the stuff we see F.G. Frederick and Dr. Miriam's computer boomer do, I very much suspect that that the 2032 setting has the technology to build 2040-style boomers and has only chosen not to for safety or cost reasons.
It's a shame that 2040's Sylia is such a neurotic twit, because otherwise all that'd be required to work around that would be introducing Largo to the setting. Unfortunately, she has all of her counterpart's brains and Issues, but only about a quarter of the spine, so handing her Raging Heart would be a Real Dumb Move.
Yes, was the Intelligent Device of Nanoha fame. No, I don't think that what they actually say in the dialog sounds a thing like 'raising', even aside from the fact that it makes much less sense. Yes, I really do think that Raging Heart, Bardiche, and Durandal are speaking some extra-dimensional language that's only being substituted for in the animated version by English, and Graf Eisen, Levantine, and Klarer Wind likewise with German.
Quote:
Oh, and sorry for the hijack, Nate. It seemed appropriate, since you like the setting and that arm was a Noble Phantasm, which sort of qualified it for the position of Epic Artifact.
*blush* Oh, wow. I didn't even make the connection until you said that... *BLUSH*
Quote:
OTOH, if _this_ Folken and _that_ Vaan were in the same timeline ... *chuckles*
Oooooh. Shiny bunny.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Re: A Fortuitous Recollection...
Quote:
*Why* do you think *Linna* is the best candidate for Mars? I agree with you about Sylia- she really should be Pluto, while Sylvie is Uranus, Anri is Neptune, and Cynthia is Saturn. This even leave Nene Mercury, in deference to her strategic role. I'm not sure if Linna can cook, but the rest is spot-on Jupiter.
Lisa doesn't ever actually fight evil, so how could she be Mercury?
I was trying to play, but you didn't catch on.
Check who the Voice Actresses are.
(LONG message below!)
Michie Tomizawa performed both ClassicLinna and Rei Hino/Sailor Mars. It's a very old joke among BGC fanfic writers, so old I'm surprised you didn't catch on. Then again, you probably just weren't thinking along those lines at the time.
Since you mentioned Robotech, Tomizawa also did the voice of Jeanne Francaix in "Southern Cross". When SC got merged with Macross and Mospeada into Robotech, Jeanne Francaix became Dana Sterling.
She also did that ear piercing, vocal cord stripping turn as C-ko in "Project A-ko".
Anyway, Lisa's voice actress was Aya Hisakawa, who performed Ami/Sailor Mercury. Among a whole lot of other things.
Then there's Sylia's voice actress, the amazing Yoshiko Sakakibara, who played the evil Queen Neherenia in the later seasons of Sailor Moon. The vampire thing was because she also performed as Integra in "Hellsing" (do you watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? Check the sub version - she's playing Prime Minister Kayabuki in that one. And Kushana in Nausicaa. And Captain Nagumo in Patlabor. And Inspector Kinoshita in YUA. And a *lot* of other roles. Basically, if they're casting for a strong woman, they call Yoshiko Sakakibara.)
So that explains that.
Nene's actress, Akiko Hiramatsu, doesn't have much of a "Sailor Moon" connection - she did some miscellaneous voices, as she was just getting started at the time. Of course, among her better known roles these days is Miyuki in "You're Under Arrest". (Natsumi's VA wasn't in BGClassic, but was in ADPolice, episode 3, as the lady researcher "in charge" of Billy)
You mentioned Leon - his actor played Hawk Eye in "Sailor Moon SuperS".
The BGClassic cast had quite a few actors who had done or went on to do some really well known/classic roles. Among various cast members were the actors and actresses for Tetsuo (AKIRA), Mara & Urd (AMG), Spike Spiegel & Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop), Kaji, PenPen, Rei & Yui (Eva), Char Aznable (Gundam), Gally (Gunnm), Nadia (Nadia), Shinohara (Patlabor), A-ko (Project A-ko), Clef & Fuu (Rayearth), Maria Tachibana (Sakura Wars), Ganossa, Grospolina, & Lum Cheng (Silent Mobius), Gourry & Lina Inverse (Slayers), Mihoshi, Sasami & Tsunami (Tenchi), Akio Ootori (Utena), and Ai (VG Ai)
You might have noticed Tomizawa played C-ko. The actor for A-ko (Miki Itou) played Irene Chang. To complete the threesome, Emi Shinohara, who played B-ko, has a sort-of connection to BGClassic - she played Vanessa Bach, one of the two lady detectives in the 2nd ADP OAV (the one who was *not* having her eye replaced). And bringing things back around to where this all began, she also played Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter.
So Linna can't be Jupiter - Jupiter is a detective with the AD Police!

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Quote:
Yes, was the Intelligent Device of Nanoha fame. No, I don't think that what they actually say in the dialog sounds a thing like 'raising', even aside from the fact that it makes much less sense. Yes, I really do think that Raging Heart, Bardiche, and Durandal are speaking some extra-dimensional language that's only being substituted for in the animated version by English, and Graf Eisen, Levantine, and Klarer Wind likewise with German.
True. Considering it's the official spiel, 'Raising Heart' does sound lame.
Hmm. Are they even speaking, or is it more ... I dunno ... a burst transmission to the User's subconsciousness that gets 'interpreted' as language? That's more like what I was imagining. Heck, they _should_ do a lot more than what's shown, including subbing in for a HUD for the User for example.
Quote:
Oooooh. Shiny bunny.
I watched Escaflowne all of once, which was a few years back, and even with only that I've always thought Folken got a raw deal. Despite that, he was still able to do _something_ right, as evidenced by his two dedicated *cough* retainers *cough* and the fact that he did come around in the end.
How a version of him that didn't get worked over by Zaibach (because, honestly, I don't think getting a replacement arm was all they did) would work?
Well, I'd think 'less angsty' for one thing. I can see him teasing Vaan mercilessly about Merle, which would come to bite him on the ass a few years later when he comes back from one of his more or less frequent intelligence gathering trips with Naria and Eryia in tow. Of course, then Hitomi arrives, which turns the tables yet again ... *snickers* just a facet of previously unexplored family dynamics.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Quote:
Heck, they _should_ do a lot more than what's shown, including subbing in for a HUD for the User for example.
Isn't that what happens with Nanoha when she uses a targeting reticle to hit Vita from afar with, a spell whose name I've forgotten.
Quote:
Isn't that what happens with Nanoha when she uses a targeting reticle to hit Vita from afar with, a spell whose name I've forgotten.
Ah. That. I'd meant something more in the direction of an information feed that's up all the time and does little but important stuff, like helping with getting oriented in midair, estimating trajectory, that sort of thing. So that the User doesn't crash into random buildings and such.
On the other hand, there's nothing saying that flight _isn't_ something the User just gives directions for, and the AI takes care of from there, so that may be a moot point.
-Griever
I have always seen the devices doing the grunt work, they optimize the mana flow so the mage usage of mana is more efficient and control the magic based on vague input from the user.
Nanoha's training scene comes to mind, without Raging Heart it takes her a lot of concentration to controll one ball of limited power, wheras with Raging Heart she can controll 16 much more powerfull balls while flying, and with four balls she hardly even needs to spare concentration on the attack.
Also in the manga Nanoha supposedly pays attention in class while at the same time doing a matrix type psychic combat simulation. If you can divide your concentration that much with a inteligent device that is a significant boost.
In gurps terms they provide some level of compartamentalized mind.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
'Kay. Nice to know there *was* a reason for that. I rarely think in terms of VAs, so none of that would've ever occurred to me. When I do think of VAs, it's to note that
a) Somebody used the old "We can't tell these two characters (with the same seiyuu) apart" saw in a crossover, or
b) Megumi Hayashibara is in something I'm watching.
Really, though, wouldn't that make an... interesting fanfic?Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Quote:
b) Megumi Hayashibara is in something I'm watching.
I really took a dislike to her for a while several years back, just because it seemed like she had the lead in *everything*. At one point I decided the only good thing about her guest role in BGClassic was that she only had about two lines and then *died*! (she played Nam, one of the ill-fated sexaroids in BGC5 - she's the one waiting for the other four at the shuttle)

www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Nam was my favorite sexaroid, mechanically inclined, heroic, and a strong resemblance to Catty Nebulart, just with silver hair.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Quote:
And ask the little desert princess to tell you the legend of the Ghost Who Walks. You'll know why.
Yee-ha! The Phantom lives!
I've always loved the generational idea of the Phantom. Much better, to my mind, than the eternal recycling the comics do to keep their superheroes young.
Quote:
Now all we need is somebody taking care of Allard's crimson scarf and fire-opal ring.
I'm almost tempted to say Harry Potter. But he's out since he's got all that he needs to beat his big baddy; he's just got to figure out how.
Unfortunately, I don't watch enough anime to be aware of a more suitable match.
Quote:
I've always loved the generational idea of the Phantom. Much better, to my mind, than the eternal recycling the comics do to keep their superheroes young.

It's got a certain gravitas, yes.
Quote:
I'm almost tempted to say Harry Potter. But he's out since he's got all that he needs to beat his big baddy; he's just got to figure out how.
Unfortunately, I don't watch enough anime to be aware of a more suitable match.
Doesn't really need to be anime.
Can be anything else, ...
... oooh! Idea! Tangent! Unrelated, but but but !

I'm very sorry.
The words spoken a month ago repeated themselves in his mind, even as sparks shot upwards, illuminating the dark workshop.
We did all we could, but the injuries Miss Anderson sustained in the ... assault ...
He would not cry. He didn't deserve to cry, after that day of his greatest failure. Everything he'd ever wanted, all his hopes for the future, snuffed out because he hadn't been able to do anything to stop them.
... internal injuries, as well as cranial trauma ...
He'd been working on it, non-stop, ever since the day he'd been released from the hospital, even before most of his injuries had healed.
This was the only thing driving him now. His need for ...
"That's not the way," a voice cut through the hiss of superheated metal, making him spin around.
Somebody was standing there, at the other end of the garage, leaning against a wall and mostly obscured by shadows. Crimson eyes glinted in the darkness.
"You won't stop me," the arc welder was set aside, a pistol being drawn almost immediately, though awkwardly.
"So who wants to stop you? You're going about this the wrong way."
That was enough to give the man pause. The stranger continued.
"You know, yours isn't the only tragic story out there. There was once a man who lost everything, and decided to tread a similar path ... but it wasn't one that he walked blindly. If you continue on the way you were going to, you'll have a few small victories, yes ..." the eyes closed for a moment, then snapped open to pierce him with the intensity of their gaze. "But you'll ultimately fail. You need to think things through, not lash out blindly. Be methodical, be ruthless, be thorough."
The man barked out a laugh.
"You think I don't realize that?! But this is the only way I know!"
"Would you like another one? Enough memories, enough skills to dedicate yourself to that sort of life, so that nobody would have to suffer as you did, or even worse? It's a one way street, you know. If you don't, you'll still have a chance at life later, though you won't have much of an effect on the grand scheme of things. If you do ..."
You'll be remembered as a monster.
An explosive charge, tossing chrome, steel, and flesh through the air.
A murderer.
Flashbang. Roll in. Pick carefully. Breathe out and pull the trigger ...
No better than trash.
The wreck of a car, blown apart, with no more than charred remains left of whatever and whoever had been inside.
The darkness within man, manifest.
Footsteps through a dark alley ...
But they will remember ...
... a bloodied man, ragged with fear, stumbling towards the exit, towards where hopefully the others were waiting ...
... and they will fear ...
... biker leather and cybernetics, and the stench of urine as both bone and artificial kneecap are shattered by point blank blasts.
A bundle of midnight-blue, almost black cloth lands at the welders feet, a simple but utterly expressive ivory design on the top ...
"Remember me?"
Long coat, too heavy to be moved by the breeze, and staring into the face of the boss of the Outriders ...
"Just so you know, you pathetic little piece of filth," the black-clad man says, unfazed by the sound of closing sirens, or the blood splattered across his face. "This isn't revenge."
... a skull.
"It's punishment."
*BANG*
Well? How about it, Mr. J.B.Gibson?
How over the top would Gibson have gone if Naomi died as a result of that little incident with the Outriders? Offer him the skills and memories of someone who made it his way of life to see that justice, or at least a gruesome, merciless version thereof, was served. Yeah.
-Griever
Geeze, I wish I could think of something to contribute to this thread, but everything else is so good that it drives ideas right out of my head.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Hmm. I'll take that as a compliment. ^_^
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

You should. It is.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
The prose here is probably a bit too...over-dramatic. I apologise, but I was going for a certain kinda feel.

"In brightest day..."

Light flared. Any other warrior would have been blinded, then incinerated instantly.
Not he.
The light held no fear for him. He saw through the fire, through the blazing flames of death. The ring protected him as he dove through the blaze, plunging through the heart of the maelstrom...and out the other side.
His attacker gaped, in shock.
He allowed himself a small, feral grin.
He thrust his hand forward.
The light was bright, burning like the sun.
The Lantern was brighter.

"...in blackest night.."

He pulled his arm from the dead man's ribcage, letting the body fall. He didn't stop to contemplate the act. Once, he might have revelled in his power to kill. Now, he fought for something more.
He was Green Lantern.
He spun, turning to face the new figures approaching his position. Enemies, moving with the swiftness of ninja, each radiating killing intent.
But fast as they were, he could read their movements. He stood upon the wall, watching them come.
The one in the lead blurred at him, accelerating with uncanny speed. Black shadows crawled across the man's flesh, driving his strength to inhuman heights.
The Lantern was faster.
He twisted aside, evading the charge. A flick of the wrist, and green steel flashed in his palm. With a single fluid motion, he slammed the newly-formed blade into the base of his opponent's neck, severing the spine.
The man died instantly.
The others fared no better.
Exhaling, the Lantern studied the battlefield. His latest victory had bought him a moment's respite, but he remained on guard, eyes watching for further attacks. He knew they would come.
But this was his home, and he would defend it to the death.
He'd lost everything, long ago. His family, everyone he'd held dear. It had nearly destroyed him - in more ways than one. He'd sworn revenge...not knowing the cost.
He was a changed man, now, but he still felt the taint on his soul. He'd sacrificed everything to the altar of vengeance and hatred, so convinced it was the only way.
Then, one night, for the first time...his eyes were truly opened. He had a dream, a dream of another world, another life. A place where he was named Jordan. His home was destroyed, his friends, family, all dead.
And in his grief, he became a monster.
He turned on his allies, betraying them, killing them. All for power, the power to change the world. To remake things the way he thought they should be. To make things right.
But it wasn't right. It couldn't be. Death and more death couldn't bring life. By the time he realised that, it was too late.
In his grief, he turned to repentance, strived for atonement.
And in time, he was given a second chance...

"No evil shall escape my sight..."

The ring flared, blazing green.
He didn't know where it came from. The ring had just...been there, upon his hand, when he awoke from the dream. But he knew what it was, and what it represented.
He was the Green Lantern.
And he saw the enemy, for nothing could hide from his eyes. His gaze pierced through all illusions, through all deception, through all stealth.
Genjutsu? Against him?
Idiots.
He saw the assassin coming - and dodged, almost negligently. Falling back, he studied his assailant with clinical detachment. The enemy ninja was wielding a strange weapon, bolted to his arm. Serrated blades, struts, and hinges.
It shifted, extended, reaching for the Lantern.
A weapon capable of mechanical transformation?
Interesting. But the execution was flawed.
The Lantern could do better.
Steel shattered, as the Lantern parried the blow...not just duplicating his opponent's technique, but turning it into far more.
He spun on a heel, swinging his emerald blades - neatly decapitating the weapon-user and three other ninja trying to flank him.
Exhaling, he paused for a heartbeat.
Then his senses screamed a warning.
He leapt. The wall vanished beneath him. Stone exploded, rubble falling to the streets below.
But he hovered free of the destruction, suspended in mid-air by his ring and will.

"Let those who worship evil's might..."

Sinuous coils moved amid the ruins, scales scraping over shattered masonry. A serpentine monster reared its massive head, forked tongue flickering between its fangs. It turned on him, with a baleful, reptilian gaze.
The Lantern raised his hand. He formed a thought, then gave it being. In an instant, he stood atop a beast of his own - a giant green wolf, poised to strike.
Jaws snapped.
The snake vanished, the corpse evaporating in a hiss of smoke.
Pathetic.
The Lantern dismissed his wolf, dropping to the ground. In an instant, he spotted the summoner. A kunoichi, her hands already beginning a new sequence of seals.
She didn't get to finish. He didn't let her.

"Beware my power..."

He grabbed her by the throat, and for a moment, considered snapping her neck. But...no. Whoever she was, she could summon snakes. That meant she had to be a high-ranking member of the Sound, and a potentially useful source of information.
The ring flared, blazing green.
The kunoichi screamed as the Lantern's light burned through her body, disabling nerves, muscles, and chakra pathways.
He dropped her. She would never be a threat again - but she would live.
He turned, sweeping the area with his Sharingan eyes, looking for more enemies.
There were none.
There were ninja approaching his position, but they were not Sound. He recognized the chakra signature of their leader, a chakra almost as familiar to him as his own.
"OI, BASTARD!"
Sasuke turned...and as expected, there he was, at the head of a group of ANBU. An unmistakable figure - red and white robes, orange jumpsuit, and bright blond hair.
"Dead Last," Sasuke retorted.
The nickname wasn't quite accurate now...not since Naruto had achieved his dream. But Hokage or not, Sasuke didn't care. Naruto was still an idiot.
Naruto stuck his tongue out, folding his arms. "Pffffft. Just report, already."
"I'm fine," Sasuke replied, jerking a hand at the bodies buried amid the rubble, "no challenge."
"Bah, show-off," Naruto grumbled, as he counted the corpses. Then he smirked. "Hah! I got more than you!"
The ANBU hung back. The masks hid their faces, and their body language was tightly controlled...but they were still clearly in awe, overcome by the presence of the Hokage, the Yellow Flash...and his legendary teammate, Konoha's Green Lantern.
Sasuke rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Did the plan work?"
Naruto laughed. "We held 'em off, except at the south wall. They broke through..."
"...into Sakura's trap."
"Yup," Naruto confirmed. Then he shuddered in mock-horror. "Sakura-chan is sca-REE. Anyway...Sound's in full retreat. But Hinata saw snake-face out there. So..."
At a wordless signal from the Hokage, the ANBU fanned out, taking guard positions round the shattered wall.
That done, Naruto grinned at Sasuke, tilting his head towards the forest. "...coming?"
Sasuke clenched his fist, waves of green blazing from his ring.
He smiled.

"...Green Lantern's light!"

Clearly, if Naruto becomes the second Yellow Flash...
-- Acyl
*maniacal cackling laughter*
That is all.
Re: Passing Torches (plus challenge)
It occurs to me that while I've added noise to this thread, I've added very little in the way of signal. So here goes...
This isn't mine, so I can only give you a link to it, and there are no actual "iconic artifacts" being passed along, but it's one of my favorite "passing of the torch" stories. I honestly don't think the author would mind a few other people discovering this short-fic - which was written over 8 years ago.
The story is called Bye Bye My Crisis, the author is Andy Skuse, and you get only 1 guess as to the universe it's set in (I bet it turns out to not be the specific one you're thinking of right now).

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Re: Passing Torches (plus challenge)
Regarding that BGCrisis short fic...just read it, and yes, yes, it is good. Short, moving, and the perfect length. Well done, with a nice tight punch of impact.
...jeez, between this and Valles' other thread, I'm so tempted to write something BGC now. e_e I don't need another time-waster, dangit...
-- Acyl
re: Passing Torches (plus challenge)
Something I've just discovered myself liking more than I would have expected, and something I've enjoyed since what feels like forever.

The landscape rolled past, somehow dim, even in the full light of day.
Or maybe it was just the mood, she reflected as the train rolled onwards nearly-soundlessly on its magnetic cushion.
She was a failure, and it was because of something she couldn't control. If it were just her who was affected, but no, the fates weren't that benevolent. Everyone, everything she touched, or even came close to ...
"Well, don't you look like a bundle of issues. What's got you so down on your luck?"
The incredulous nature of the comment and its timing threw her as soon as it registered, and then she started shaking. For a moment, she thought she might break down ... and she did, but not in the manner she'd expected to.
It started with a choked off noise deep in her throat, and a burning in her lungs, and soon she was doing something that would have had her comrades and teammates boggling at the sight.
Hong Lihua, or simply Reika to those she was on speaking terms with, was snorting, then chuckling, then guaffing with a manic, near hysterical laughter, complete with tears. Not because, beyond maybe that one moment of ironic self-criticism, she found it funny, but because as soon as she'd given some space to her emotions it was a choice between breaking down laughing, or just plain breaking down and maybe going as far as ending up a basket case.
And when it was over, she felt ... better. Not 'good', maybe, but better than she'd been over these past few days, maybe even weeks.
"Tissue?" the voice asked. She grasped about herself, half-blind, before snatching the white bit of kleenex from the offering hand and wiping her eyes.
"Thank you," she said, after she'd composed herself. "I think I needed that."
Then she actually saw the person who'd sat himself opposite her in the otherwise deserted train compartment, and was instantly put on-guard. Not because he was an albino, or because of the odd clothes (who in their right minds wore a -cloak- nowadays). There was a sense of otherness there, obvious to a medium as talented as herself. It was gone almost instantly, but she'd noticed all the same.
"And who, exactly, are you?"
"There's days I'm right uncertain of that myself," the red eyed man replied, with a faint snicker at the end. "You looked like you could use a pick-me-up. Or a pun. And I hate to see good food go to waste. Speaking of which, are you going to eat that?"
He gestured to the meal she'd ordered and half-forgotten, sitting on the table in front of her and having noticably cooled.
"Yes," she said coldly.
"Oh. Oh well," he gave a little half-shrug. "Sorry to have bothered you, then."
The man made to get up, then blinked, and slapped his forehead.
"Here," he then deposited a tan/off-white colored bundle of material beside her, and pointed a thumb at her light coat hanging from the hook beside the compartment door. "You won't get much milage out of that one, trust me on that. And you'll need all the milage you can get soon enough, since there's a mother of a storm coming."
Reika chanced a glance out the window, and the weather didn't looked to have changed at all ...
"Not that kind of storm."
And suddenly, the sense of otherness was back with a vengeance. Not threatening, exactly, but certainly commanding attention.
"It should serve. Or at least keep the wind off your back. Justy said he didn't need it anymore, but he did't want a perfectly good bit of tailoring to go to waste. He's got the devil's own luck, if you believe in that sort of thing, so maybe a bit's rubbed off on it."
Then there was silence, and it took her an eyeblink to realize that the speaker was gone, the only sign of his presence the bundle beside her ...
... she hesitated, then grabbed it ...
Her eyes went wide wide wide as soon as fingertips touched the rough fabric, unfolding the long coat almost on instinct.
Almost on its own, her body moved, ignoring the fact that she was inside and didn't need to, flowing into the coat with an easy grace she didn't know she had.
It felt right.
"Captain, hmm? It ... has a certain ring to it."

-Griever
Re: re: Passing Torches (plus challenge)
God, I love that show.
Not a very nice thing to do to Genom, unleashing THAT guy's luck upon them.
sorry, no cigar
You missed, Vlad.
Not Bubblegum Crisis, but Sousei no Aquarion is the cross here. I've only now gotten around to going through some old backlog, and for some reason I'd put the show on backburner and never watched it. Upon recitifying that, I find it's an oddly compelling mixture of cheese, camp, and genre-specific cliches to satisfy. And I don't generally _like_ SuperRobot Shows.
You did get the other one right, though.
-Griever
vampires, angels, and giant transforming mecha, oh my!