Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay, A New Version...
Re: Okay, A New Version...
... *Which* FFML references? The only one I see now is the Kimiko thing, and that's about as good an example of fanon as I expect you'll find.
-Morgan."I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, or espers here, come sleep with me."
---From "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
-----(Not really)
Quote:
2) You've made some caveat notes here and there, for example bringing up Dickens when referring to Chekov's Gun and planning-as-you-go writing. At some point you need to mention that *any* rule in your guide can be freely violated...
*IF* you know what you're doing and are *AWARE IN ADVANCE* you're doing it. This is not an act for the rank novice.
Don't forget. You are writing a story.
If you discover you need a gun in act three. Go back and put it in act 1.
You'll look brilliant.
---------------------
Epsilon
Advice void if you release as soon as you finish each chapter
Quote:
For example, the name of the late Mrs. Tendo in "Ranma 1/2" is never given in any official source, but somewhere around 1998, many writers on the FFML gradually standardized on "Kimiko".

That ref. Yes, it's a perfect example of fanon. However, since I see this as being a valuable article for more than just the FFML, it does the work a disservice if the reader has to stop and go 'WTF is the FFML' and may in fact cause them to dismiss the content.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Okay, I'll expand the one reference I missed during that specific edit pass, and turn it into a more explicit pointer.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
If nothing else at least explain what the 'FFML' is in the first place. The example is a good minor one, for describing fanon. I think the problem is more unprovoked Alphabet soup then the actual comment itself. If you list it as either: The FanFiction Mailing List (FFML) or FFML (FanFiction Mailing List)... then its not a in-joke thing, instead its an explained antidote. A brief paragraph explaining what the FFML is and how old it is, will take out the problems with the reference.
It is important that you don't have points where the guide you're writing starts to make constant obscure references and in-jokes... at the same time you should remove all your personal (explained in the document) experiences until its boring to read.