Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wierd thing
Wierd thing
Because I feel like it.
Well, see, I was wandering through the TV Tropes site, and I got to thinking about all this self-inserts that we've got going 'round here.
And, okay, yeah, I'm putting off working on F/CD.
Anyway, all of the 'shinobi-Nates' - TGNH, Seven Substitute Shinobi, F/CD - use more formal speech patterns than you'd really guess seeing their dialog written in English - in short, keigo. Both they and that poor sap currently working for SEARRS use watashi, always. Yes, both I and they know that 'manly men' don't do that. That's the point.
For the latter, with the mentioned exception and one other, he mostly talks the same way Canon-Tate does... that other exception is that, by the time the 'second OAV' starts, he's switched to using kisama to Sister Yukariko, though I know that I haven't shown them interacting yet.
So, what about Katsu, or Rikou? Or, for that matter, Doug?
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Wierd thing
As a chuunin, Shikanenai usually uses whatever form or courtesy would be least obtrustive. If he lets his guard down he's generally a hair less polite than the situation calls for and tries not to use people's names much. When he does, it's generally a mark of respect: the only times he does so in SSS thus far, he uses the -sensei honorific.
As a genin, however, he's deliberately being a bit bratty, using Ore instead of Boku, for example. He'll use Sessha if he's being sarcastic, particularly if he's refering to himself and Shikamaru collectively. He's probably refered to Kakashi as Kakashi-kohei at least once when he's caught the jounin out and Kakashi knows it.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Re: Wierd thing
Quote:
Or, for that matter, Doug?
Good question. Doug's an accomplished, almost native-level, speaker of Japanese, so he handles pronouns, honorifics and verb forms with sufficient agility that he doesn't usually get funny looks from real native speakers. However, the question is really what first-person pronoun he habitually uses for himself. Probably boku or ware out of a combat, unless he's deliberately baiting someone, and ore in combat.

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
re Weird thing
Something similar applies to Emi from IWATDP.
Since her fluency is "supernatural" in nature, her speech patterns tend to be what most of her listeners expect, unless she's going deliberately for a specific regional/cultural accent.
As far as most of her listeners in Tokyo-3 are concerned, she learned surprisingly good Japanese from pre-second impact anime tomboys.
I believe that, should she speak French, she would sound like an educated Quebecois... et cetera...
But then, I am intentionally trying to pick up a Kansai accent in my slow study of Japanese myself...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Haven't really ever thought about it. Hmm ...
Katsu doesn't particularly like being formal, though he knows how to. Doesn't do the whole dog and pony show of false politeness, so he comes off as a bit curt sometimes.
He'd pretty much use Boku consistently. When he's forced to be formal he tends more towards Watakushi than Watashi as a bit of a show of displeasure with the requirements of propriety since old-fashioned is hardly a word that defines him.
He uses Ware when he's serious about something: Ware wa Shinobi.
The highest he'll go with honorifics is sama, the lowest is teme. The only person he's called dono, ever, was the TXY Mizuno Yuki, but she talked him down to san after some time.
He calls his students by first name only, or adding kun sometimes.
Teammates ... somewhat iffy. Whatever's shorter, because it's faster in a tight spot. The fact that he's never thought formality had a place there got him into a bit of trouble - Kaiou Michiru took objection the first time he just called her 'Kaiou' on a mission and kept doing so.
Casually, he'll use family name and -san when he doesn't know the person. Personal name and -san when he does and doesn't care one way or the other. Personal name ... iffy ... either as a brush-off (as in, 'Kiba, shut up') or when he's just casual about something to people he knows he can be casual to (as in, 'Ne, Neshan, 'Nenai? What shall we blow up today?'). Just family name when he's annoyed and brushing someone off ('Yamanaka, I need that arm, damnit') or something to that effect.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Paradox speaks Japanese like a native, and without accent - or rather, a neutral accent that doesn't signify any sort of regional bias. To go further, he speaks *all* languages like that, except for English, which he speaks like a Prairie Canadian (aka, like I do).
His proficiency, being superatural in nature, is quite limited - he has extraordinary difficulty with derivative languages (patois, pigdins, creoles, acrolects, etc). For example, while he can understand Parisian French, he has quite a bit of difficulty with French as spoken in Louisianna and Africa (not so much trouble with Quebecer French, since he's familiar with that.)
He also doesn't get man-made languages, since they're not 'living' languages - so Klingon, Esperanto, etc are beyond him.
In many ways, it's all or nothing, which is part of the reason he (and other dieties in the OMB uni) have the problem of slipping from one lanuage to the next unconsciously.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Ukyou in Hybrid Theory speaks with a Kansai accent, since that's what she does in the original series. She probably starts out the series with honorifics appropriate for a tough, irreverant young man, then slowly transitions to a more feminine dialect (topping out at something tomboyish) as the series goes on.
In English she speaks like a maratime Canadian who is well-educated. For instance a floating signpost used to help guide ships in harbour is a "Boo-ee" not a "boy".
Chris probably speaks an eclectic mix of several accents, shifting accents as the whim suits him. He attains the linguistic skills but not habits of his victims and I'm guessing his choice of honorifics and pronouns is very... deliberate.
That being said, I write Hybrid Theory as an english-speaker for an english-speaking audience. I give no real thought to how it would sound in Japanese nor to whether certain concepts translate well between languages. For instance one of the plot points of Hybrid Theory is Ukyou hiding her gender. Pronoun slips (IE, he/she confusion) plays a minor part. of course, this can't happen in Japanese (since there is no he/she equivalent) but I don't tend to worry about it that much.
Language does play something of a part in the series. Hybrid Theory is at heart an action/drama series. Difficulties in communication only come up when it would be dramatically approrpriate. Otherwise, I gloss it over. A fight is less entertaining if the participants can't engage in philosophical debate or smacktalk.
-------------------
Epsilon