Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whatifs - NSFW: Language
Whatifs - NSFW: Language
Reading Griever's work, and Drakensis' _Buffy_ offering, and I traipsed down a rather interesting line of thinking..
Whatif: Transfictionality. ok, accepted as a given.
Let's look at immoral behavior, found in such luminaries as Bill Gates, the CEO of Enron, etc, etc.. So, a corellation that immorality _can_ lead to power in this world.
So we've got a hypothetical immoral (amoral) person, with great financial resources in this world, which is transfictionally enabled. Add a T-fic jump device, and we're rolling..
Quote:
"So how did your day go, honey?"
"Oh, I hit the Buffyverse, met Angel."
"How'd that go?"
"Shot him in the fucking head. We got any ham left?"
"Yeah, it's in the freezer, sorry."
"You know, I wasn't expecting those holy-water hollowpoints to work on a Demon Lord."
"There's no reason why they shouldn't... can you grab me a glass of OJ while you're in there?"
"Sure, sure.. anyway, as that implied, I met the 'Master', and, well.."
"Shot him in the fucking head?"
"Heh. Tomorrow I think I'm gonna drop back in on the Evangelion universe. I should be able to land just in time to prep for that diamond-looking Angel"
"How are you going to handle that?"
"Audio gun. shake the ugly bastard to death."
"How are you going to get around the AT Field?"
"It's a religious artifact- shouldn't work on a nonbeliever. Failing that, I'll just let Shinji shoot it in the fucking head"
"That should take care of it.. where's my OJ?"
Picture Griever, with control over his jumps, his own body, less morals, and a bad case of the shooties.. there's quite a few characters and situations from anime and pop culture that could be improved by just shooting people in the head.
...it's also O-dark hundred, and I'm exhausted.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: Whatifs - NSFW: Language
Gah. to elucidate on above post- Whatif you had the knowledge and could play Quantum Leap? Most 'fic that I've seen chokes that knowledge, to keep it from overpowering the premise- let's tip that idea on it's head, shoot the people that so desperately need it, and make it stick..Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
It could possibly work, if you kept it to short segments on each place to cover the immediate effects and either pop back in brielfy later to see longer term things or summarize - trying to do a full rehash of even one story where the protagonist has been preemtively offing major villains would either slam into the wall of "so what happens instead?" or the canon cast would be sucked into a sppiral of looking for they guy running around killing people, or just get wa to dark.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
How long before the 'hero' runs into their opposite number - someone who goes from world to world slaughtering the local heroes, maybe for the power, maybe just for the thrill of the hunt, but definitely not with any notion of helping their fellow villains?
Shortly after that, the two of them would be hunting each other across all the worlds that be. The collateral damage would be high, and the victories temporary. Transfictionality gives both sides too many ways of cheating death.
And then there's the armaments. The black hat can collect the most potent evil artifacts and superweapons from every fiction - the One Ring, Stormbringer, the death star - so the white hat will have to do likewise - Excalibur, the Ginzuishou, a war-Tardis. (Even if the 'hero' would rather avoid a fight, the villain would be unlikely to want potential competition on their territory.)
This would be a difficult story to tell without looking ridiculous, but done right it could be great.
Quote:
Shortly after that, the two of them would be hunting each other across all the worlds that be. The collateral damage would be high, and the victories temporary. Transfictionality gives both sides too many ways of cheating death.
Oooooo!
That would be _awesome_. I like collateral damage in my fiction, see the Bolo and Posleen universes, as well as the Starfire universe (The Shiva Option, essentially, nuke the planet till it glows)Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
And then there's the armaments. The black hat can collect the most potent evil artifacts and superweapons from every fiction - the One Ring, Stormbringer, the death star - so the white hat will have to do likewise - Excalibur, the Ginzuishou, a war-Tardis. (Even if the 'hero' would rather avoid a fight, the villain would be unlikely to want potential competition on their territory.)
Isn't that one of the underlying subplots in Legion's Quest, the whole "running conflict between godlike entities" thing?---
Mr. Fnord
Raving blogger
http://www.jihad.net/
"when edison thinks down pipes into special Future Death Machine, in 21st Century another teenager on MySpace gets hit by a car." --Warren Ellis
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Along these lines...
A fic that might interest some people. I found parts of
it wonderful, though others suffer from the usual
problems that round-robin writing tends to suffer from.
Warning: In an unfinished state since 2002, and not
showing any signs of life.
If you do read it, and like it, drop the author a line, eh?
-z
Oh, for the love of...
indiemadnesse.sandwich.ne...tract.html
The link. Apologies.
-z
eXcessive forcE
*chuckles* Yeah, that's a fun concept.
'Course, if he were that far down that road, my alt would likely prefer excessive amounts of explosives to firearms, but this works too ^_^.
And Self Extraction? Yeah, it's pretty good. I think I read most of it back in '02 when I was going through the various indies.
Humm ... *ponders the concept further*
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Re: eXcessive forcE
I must admit, that my sketchy notes for my probably never to be written SI include showing up in the EVA universe, meeting Gendo, pondering the ethical, moral and temporal implications of just killing Gendo... and then does it anyways. After all, it's not like he ever does anything useful in the series. Of course, those notes also include the idea of me screwing up big time, and having my changes result in the Angels winning, and the destruction of all humans on the planet. Oops.
Speaking of Evangelion, I'm thinking of collecting the Manga series. Anyone know if it ends better than the anime?--
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
eva manga
Dunno, it's not finished yet... two more tankouban to go, iirc.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
SNAFU
Because if there ever was an excuse for the use of excessive force ...

"So, we finally meet face to face. I'd say it's a pleasure ..."
"Except that you would be lying. I am well aware of the opinion you have of me, Mr.Kocinski."
"Big brother is watching you ... feh. You'll excuse me if I don't consider nigh omnipotent beings gambling with Realities and lives with any fondness whatsoever."
"I assure you, there are reasons ... and not, as you are about to accuse, trivial ones."
"You'd be amazed at what I'd consider trivial."
"Not everyone has your capacity for apathy, thankfully."
"Flattery will get you nowhere. Now, why the hell am I here and not in the middle of a Crossing?"
"You are correct, this is not, strictly speaking, a social call."
"Wow, I was starting to be afraid my personality may be in demand or something."
"Rest assured, that is very unlikely to happen. Of the two times your path has intersected our 'little game' as you are so fond of thinking of it, neither has had an outcome that was of particular ..."
"If you're expecting me to care ..."
"No, not hardly. We, however, do. Still, it was a mixture of peculiar circumstance and lack of full briefing from us ..."
"Make that lack of any briefing."
"You forget Ms.Fujino."
"Rrrrright. If you consider that a briefing, consider this a peace sign."
"Please, rude gestures are hardly warranted."
"I live to annoy. And I think I've just found out whom."
"Charming."
"Are we going to get to the point anytime soon?"
"As I was saying, your talents were ... perhaps not all that well suited to the situation at hand in either case. As it were, the earlier entanglement almost degenerated into chaos, the latter ... was not very much better, though perhaps on a somewhat smaller scale."
"And now you're going to offer me, what?"
"Offer?"
"Look, let's just cut it out. All of it. The stick's me wandering all over the place and never getting 'home'. Show me the carrot, and let's get this over with."
"Quite. You are correct, in this case. Though we would not move to leave your journey up to anything but chance in case of a negative answer. We find ourselves in a bit of a quandry, you see ... the particular 'job' we desire to hire your services for is one that would, without a doubt, quickly turn towards an excessively volatile path. And a very fragile one at that. The situation itself is very turbulent and quite easy to unbalance ... quite a bit easier, actually, than keeping it stable. I would even go as far as to say that keeping it stable would be counterproductive. Our usual approach would, perhaps, be inadvisable in this case."
"And you want me to march into the middle of whatever SNAFU is cooking there? Still not seeing a carrot."
"I have ... understated the gravity slightly, I think. The reality in question is something of a nexus point, and the potency of some of its elements ..."
"I get it. Potential beachhead, and, if it could be controlled, staging area for deployment of assets that wouldn't require your particular intervention to be sent into this 'game'. Still not seeing a reason why I should ..."
"One Crossing, Mr.Kocinski."
"Say again?"
"One Crossing, as you are so fond of calling those transitions between realities, immediately after this ... 'contract' ... will lead you back to the place you consider 'home'. And no, I do not jest. We are willing to bend our rules that far."
"Do I get a briefing this time? A full one?"
"Yes. Yes you do. The setting is one you will not be entirely unfamiliar with, and so is the, pardon the pun, space you will be operating in, though ..."
"Memory fades on some things, Sanders. You know that better than I do, I'd imagine."
"You recall the anime series, Infinite Ryvius?"
"... yes. Yes, I do believe I do."
---
Incarna: To Infinity and Beyond
---

... this place would be it.

-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Re: SNAFU
Quote:
SO stolen for quotefileWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Yakko: Our new, special freind!
Wakko and Dot just nod.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
In the absence of having anything useful to say:
Quote:
Incarna: To Infinity and Beyond
[Image: toinfinity.jpg]
Also: I rather liked the verbal sparring. He was really taking it about as far as he could have (while still maintaining reasonable hope of getting away with it), though.-----------------
Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
- Chris Knight, Real Genius Two great tastes that go great together!
Quote:
I'm extremely tempted to steal this line for BSBW (Doug discussing Ayerton, of course)...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
be my guest ...
... since it's really not that original ... damn, I forgot who first did the 'I live to amuse. Who or what, I'm not sure.' line. That's where this evolved from, in any case.
-Griever
Re: be my guest ...
besides the "I live to annoy' line, I also found
Quote:
If you consider that a briefing, consider this a peace sign.
to be rather amusing. [Image: glasses.gif] __________________
"I know when I'm not wanted. I usually don't listen, but I know." - Harper (Andromeda)

"Are you certain this gamble is warranted?" a presence asked.
"Oh, yes. Quite certain," another presence, this one only moments before inhabiting the simulacrum of a human body, stated.
"Are you feeling well? The last time he got involved, the ..."
"You'll notice that our counterparts didn't manage to take that continuum."
"And neither did we, he left such a mess!"
"Yes, but the world was still there at the end of the day, everything else aside. The two worlds, actually."
"Yes but ... why this? Last time we only nudged him, and look at the results. Now? "
"Let me put it like this, the alternative would have been ... awkward."
"Awkward as in 'well, that was unpleasant' or ...?"
"Awkward as in 'oh, wasn't there supposed to be a continent there?' actually."
"... do I even want to know?"
"Tokyo, Nerima Ward."
"... may I commend you on your once again flawless judgment?"

Re: circles within circles ... the demented 5D tic-tac-toe m
"No, you may not. If ever there was anyone who desperately needed to be properly shot in the head, it was Happosai"
"And Soun and Genma?"
"Maiming, I think"Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979