Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Done! It's done and I am glad!
It's Done! It's done and I am glad!
"What's done?" I hear you ask. This is done:
[Image: cover-sm.jpg]
Many years ago, when the intarwub was young and AOLers were still walled up in their prison of free CDs, I started work on The Jihad to Destroy Barney Writer's Guide. The goal was to create a who's who for the (then-burgeoning) members of the Jihad to Destroy Barney the Dinosaur. Somehwere along the way, it turned into a combination guide and GURPS netbook. I certainly never expected to take this long to finish it, but finished it is! And a finer-looking netbook you'll not find. I am extremely proud of how it all came together.
The Jihad to Destroy Barney itself has pretty much been forgotten by the rest of the intarwub, but the few of us left invite you to take a look at our stuff. Who knows? Maybe there's something worth using for your own creations in there.
Jihad.Net's Roleplaying page
The Jihad to Destroy Barney Roleplaying Game & Writer's Guide (Warning: 6.3MB PDF file)---
Mr. Fnord
Raving blogger
http://www.jihad.net/
"when edison thinks down pipes into special Future Death Machine, in 21st Century another teenager on MySpace gets hit by a car." --Warren Ellis
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Your doomed Barney is like fruit cake
This is vaguely familiar, but not sure from where or even when it's familiar.
I might have came across it in an archive in the mid or late 1990's or even earlier, but my universities internet or BBS access was spotty before 1993.
You know your Jihad is fruitless Barney is like a fruitcake and can't be destroyed.

howard melton
God bless
re: Your doomed Barney is like fruit cake
Quote:
You know your Jihad is fruitless Barney is like a fruitcake and can't be destroyed.
And yet we still have to try! It is our duty to Humanity. *g*What if: Chibi Usa, Veteran Speznas Ninja Commando From Hell(tm)?What if: Chibi Usa, Veteran Speznas Ninja Commando From Hell(tm)?
Re: re: Your doomed Barney is like fruit cake
Hmmm.... I vaguely rmember a return-of-Nazi-Barney plot that I was going to be invlved in with the Superguy Authors' Altiverse thread, but the then-current storyline never went anywhere, and then the other couple of Authors who'd been talking about it moved onas well - it wasn't all that developed, pretty much just the set up for how to unleash the horror once more, and as FNG I got to let ot be my fault, having been conned into babysitting for one of the more senior members, and, unimpressed with his four-year old's choice of suarian viewing material, tried to sell her on Godzilla instead by way of a dash of Edit power. By typically ridiculous means (it is Authors' Altiverse, after all, the inhabitants of which have been outwitted by unbuttered toast with delusions of grandeur) this resulted in releasing Herr Barney from the VHS cassette he'd been imprisoned in during his original reign of happiness and terror, at godzilla size, and my part was to end with the monster mosh having drained off enough power to shrink him back to normal (Noting that my own Authorial presence is also a kaiju, if one that can change size as desired) for ... Amigoid, I think? to take on next. I rmember I'd seen the Jihad materials "back in the day" as well, but this was the closest I ever was to involved in anything similar.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: re: Your doomed Barney is like fruit cake
I recently took over the long running Werewolf: the Apocalypse LARP that I've been playing in for the last 7 years or so. My first game, I pitted the PCs against a swarm of Barneys overrunning the local mall.
Well whatever else would I do with a TV icon who 'dances the spiral'?
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Re: Your doomed Barney is like fruit cake
Quote:
I might have came across it in an archive in the mid or late 1990's or even earlier, but my universities internet or BBS access was spotty before 1993.
Well, the group's high-water mark was around 1994-1996, then the whole thing collapsed in a massive wankplosion a couple years later. The handful of surivors like me keep the flame going more out of intertia than anything else.
Quote:
Hey, some of us like doomed quests.
In any case, the whole Barney thing was effectively over when the Teletubbies hit the screen. Wasn't a cultural icon or merchandising giant anymore, y'see. Sure it's still out there, but low-grade kidvid is almost impossible to kill completely.---
Mr. Fnord
Raving blogger
"when edison thinks down pipes into special Future Death Machine, in 21st Century another teenager on MySpace gets hit by a car." --Warren Ellis

Re:It's Done! It's done and I am glad!
This is... fascinating, in a somehow disturbing way. I have to read more about that. I think it'll make a great article for my university newspaper. Do you mind if I write about it, Mr. Fnord?
Re: Re:It's Done! It's done and I am glad!
Be my guest.---
Mr. Fnord
Raving blogger

When I last encountered the Jihad after barney.
/QUOTE/
Well, the group's high-water mark was around 1994-1996, then the whole thing collapsed in a massive wankplosion a couple years later. The handful of surivors like me keep the flame going more out of intertia than anything else.
/ENDQUOTE/
Okay probably 1996 is when I came across the Jihad.
About that time I was using the university computers to downloading mailing list archieves and discussion boards to floppies for reading during spring, summer and fall, when I was away from the university and internet access.
In 1997 I used the Jihad as a small part of an unposted bio and introduction fanfic for the Revenge Wars.
Well not so doomed after all the Telly Tubbies beat burney...
But it's a case of out of the frying pan and falling into the fire, the telly tubbies are far worse.
I guess the TT's were a misguided attempt to fight horror with terror.

howard melton
God bless
Re: When I last encountered the Jihad after barney.
Quote:
I guess the TT's were a misguided attempt to fight horror with terror.
Fighting coke with crack might be a better analogy..---
Mr. Fnord
Raving blogger