Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bunny with a Giant Robot!
Bunny with a Giant Robot!
Huwaaahhh... home again. ^_^
Okay, so, in my copious free time between panic, labor, and sleep, I've been reading Gundam SEED fanfic of late. Despite the fact that most of the fanbase (and, hence, writer population) seems to be about the same age as the core cast, though about an order of magnitude less mature, not all of it sucks.
The bunny that's struck me isn't even really that new, since I seem to be far from the only one who has disbelief suspension issues arising from a pair of twins who end up being part of different subspecies. My take on it works like this...
Once upon a time, when Cagalli was fairly young, perhaps five-to-ten or so, she did something utterly, typically (both for her personally and kids that age in general) reckless. In the canon Seedverse, she got away with it with no more than the usual repercussions of scaring Kisaka shitless.
Here, though, she slipped.
She would, eventually, recover fully, but in the process, she also made her first visit to a hospital that didn't already have all her medical information ready at hand. While they were working on getting her injuries treated, one of the attending doctors handed off a few samples to an orderly with the order to take it to the lab and have them tell him everything he needed to know about the girl, ASAP.
The answer he got back was basically that he could proceed as normal, but should probably account for the Markman's Disease in his treatment regimen.
Markman's, you see, is where the endocrine system fails to adjust a Coordinator's hormone levels the way it's supposed to - the details involve more biology than I'm prepared to try and bullshit my way through, but the end result is that you end up with an apparently-normal (though likely above average) human being. No super reflexes, strength, healing, learning curve... Since Coordinators are both artificial (ie, designed on a budget) and relatively recent, Markman's is quite common. Fortunately, it's also easily treatable - overall, about as significant as needing glasses, if less obvious.
The standard fanfic approach would be to just go, 'okay, hey, cool, now she gets a Gundam at the start of the show!'
I don't want to do that.
Cagalli, remember, is the heir to the leadership of a fairly major nation - a noteworthy figure even this early, when she's being kept mostly out of the spotlight. The future Representative of ORB, a Coordinator?
You couldn't keep that quiet with all the money in the world.
I have my own ideas of what some of the repercussions would be, but I'd like to hear what y'all think before I start sounding off.
Work resumes on Hime and Fate stories tomorrow. After I sleep.
Ja, -n
(ETA: grr. typos.)

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"