Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infuriating Fanfic
Re: Harry Potter is a phoenix!
While I can't speak for Wengfook, and it may indeed have been that one that propted the post, it's a very widespread meme, and a lot of the time the Harry in question is actively opposed to the local evil/manipulative/overprotective Dumbledore. I think it's omre that the pheonix has been established in that setting as the symbol of absolute good, so having him turn into one (along with the useful travel and healing powers) goes to show that no matter how much and how violently Harry may row with the established order, he's still a good guy at heart.
Personally, I think if I was going to write an animagus Harry (Feh! As if I'd write any Potterfic) I'd have him turning into a pheasant to buck the trope (another impressive looking bird, but one which obeys the setting rule about nonmagical creatures) or a small terrier, probably a Yorkshire but without the long flowing hair of show-dog Yorkshires - small, dark-colored, relatively inconspicious, but essentially fearless (I have seen a yorkie chase a Golden Labrador around) and with a nasty bite if they've a mind to use it (I have a scar...) and able to knock a big man over with a good jump at the back of the knees (My brother in law is 6'4" and quite actively coaches his kids' football team). The only thing that doesn't fit so much is that Harry is kind of a loner and Yorkshires are decidely not.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
Dr. Akagi will recover. Observe, Rei smiled. Shinji-kun, are these your clothes?
Ritsuko shot up like a spring loaded meerkat. What? Shinji-kun is naked?
See, Anata? Dr. Hentai is alive and well. - Innortal's _I Do_
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Actually, most stories I've seen turn him into a stag, like his dad and his patronus.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Harry as Phoenix Animagus is rather common, to be honest, but Refiner's Fire/Time of Destiny gets to grandfather out of any peeves related to it for several reasons:
1) Refiner's Fire is one of, if not the, first super!Harry stories
2) coincidentally also one of the first Phoenix Animagus stories.

The reason people use it is because of the canon statement (I believe in Fantastic Beasts) that phoenixes are the ultimate 'light' creature. As such, there's the belief that this immediately makes Harry unimpeachable.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Jpub said:
Quote:
The reason people use it is because of the canon statement (I believe in Fantastic Beasts) that phoenixes are the ultimate 'light' creature. As such, there's the belief that this immediately makes Harry unimpeachable.

bah humbug.
yes the fic that broke the camels back in this case was Refiners Fire...
I dunno. I accept that turning into a phoenix is a cool idea and all, except it is rarely well presented, and breaks the mood very quickly for me. in most fics I see Harry picking up Animagus transfiguration like three chapters. a process which took four minds working on it, a couple of years to accomplish it... and Harry miraculously pulls it off with as little as Professor Mcgonagal merely hinting at how to become a Animagus.
all in all I prefer Harry to stick to non-magical transformations.. a stag is nice.. and if he absolutely muuust fly (when he gets enough of it in quidditch), why not something as simple as a raven or a hawk. Common animals which most people would not bat an eye at... _______________________________
"We few, we happy few. We band of buggered"
I was reading Bill Heineman's 'Tunnel Vision', a possible part of the the Sailor Ranko series started by Fire... and became annoyed by his nerfing for lethal drama habit.
In this he makes a Terminator T-800 kill off Shampoo After getting blown in half by an exploding motorcycle it was riding. I mean it has to go 120 km/h on a motorcycle to keep up with Shampoo (who is on foot)... and then it beats her by speed H2H. Err... what?
Its blown in half and this fails to effect a panicky (or something) Shampoo, she throws a mace at it and its flesh breaks off. Shampoo screams and it then wearing a new terminator shaped necklace.
It was bad enough that it offs her, because she is insanely fast, but not strong enough to break a T-800's grip (apparently being locked in a strangely not molten basement, gives you lots of time to speed train). Worse the things pulls this off while its electronic brain is scrambled by Nerimian residents. Not to mention blown in half... which apparently gets is a massive speed boost. The whole scene is wonky (did I mention the T-800 ignores non magical blows, yet is easily disarmed by Mousse when ever it pulls a weapon).
I'm still not sure how the Amazons managed to survive a nuke not on fire or why the koi pond didn't evaporate like parts of the dojo/house did... or ARG.
Complaint: Horribly inconsistent damage taken by things in the same area. And keeping charicters miraculously alive just to kill them to add angst.
World Resets
I found a type of fic that I had to add here. One of the ones that really get to me are the ones that are well written and have all sorts of believeable character evolution but then taking a cop out at the end an reseting the world. The most glaring example I can think of at the moment is Training and Confrontations by DrT. The story is 53 rather well written chapters that end with a whimper because the author wanted to make it HBP compliant so he resets the world back to the final scenes of OotP.

Kheram
Re: World Resets
DrT is a collection of issues wrapped in a neurosis. Trying to make sense of him is impossible.
I had a whole tirade (excerpts of which you can probably find on this board) of his goofiness. I encourage you to read his 'Harry and Hermione' series, or 'To The Rescue' series,for some of his odd treatments of sex, relationships, and physical beauty.
It's a very rare work of his that I don't stop and go 'what the fnord is this?!'
Nonetheless, entertaining writer.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Far Beyond Reasonable...
... has updated, with several chapters actually explaining WHY things are so much worse in that universe than ours or Buffy's.
It's ... interesting. Even if all Buffy knows about the president from her original universe is that he "invented the Internet". And he spends a lot of time having the Asgard chew Hammond and SG-1 a new asshole for not having done anything about the NID before this.
Continues to be Super!Uber!Hero!Buffy with SG-1 as her moderately useless sidekicks while he paints the current administration as the corrupt puppets of the Ori. (His premise, apparently, is that the Ori engineered both the Bush election victory AND 9/11 in order to engineer an atmosphere of paranoia and xenophobia on Earth so they could invade and take over.)
I was really hoping that this story would improve. It's sad to see this kind of writing talent wasted on polemic.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Far beyond Normal
I liked FbN to begin with (after all, I was the one to recommend it), even though I had some disagreement with certain points (All I want is someone, anyone, to point at another person (or alien) and call them a hypocrite, just once in the story)), but lately... *shakes head*
My main disagreement with it now is that, other than some of the initial stuff, the author could really have completely excluded the StarGate half of the crossover with minimal effort. The SG characters are such a minor part, that they could just have easily been filled with original characters. Same with the inclusion of the Ori, the Asgard, and so on - they just feel like they were pulled in to slap a name on the villian of the moment that most readers would recognize and not develop an original villian (which is truly a shame, the author could definately do so if they tried).
If you're going to make something a crossover, make it a crossover - try to make it feel like elements of both universes are viable components of the story.
Re: Infuriating Fanfic
Here's one:
Wingfic.
Why? I mean... he... and the... and... then... why?---
Mr. Fnord
Raving blogger
http://www.jihad.net/
"when edison thinks down pipes into special Future Death Machine, in 21st Century another teenager on MySpace gets hit by a car." --Warren Ellis
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Quote:
Why? I mean... he... and the... and... then... why?
It combines three of your average adolescent fangirl's Really Cool Things to conventional slash's two.
Hot Guys + Sex + Whee! I Can Fly!.
Very simple, IMHO.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puri puri puri puri... Bang!"
At the risk of going off topic and of repeating myself from another thread, I would like to mention some published fiction that agrivates me: Robert Jordan's wheel of time.
I got part way into the third book and just gave up. I read a great deal, but I can count on one hand the number of books in my life I have started but never finished. (Moby Dick and Battlefield Earth being two other notables)
I gave up on Jordan because the story was just going on and on and I didn't care what happend next. The world this takes place in is facinating, but I just don't conect with or care about any of the characters in it. A few characters do provoke an emotional response, but that response is usually to whack them upside the head.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.