Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updates thread
Re: Updates thread
Oooh, fun! More please! (scurries off to read)--
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
A Vow of Serenity
A Vow of Serenity chapter 10 is up. www.fanfiction.net/s/1598111/10/What if: Chibi Usa, Veteran Speznas Ninja Commando From Hell(tm)?
Re: A Vow of Serenity
The Lesser of Two Evils has been updated.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
At least as good as canon
SPSmith's With Malice Aforethought is around 115k words, and has been written between 8/10 and 8/25, unless he built up a good chunk before starting to post. I only read bits and snatches after the first chapter while saving it off, but those samples included a really good Harry rant on deeds vs. heritage and classic Snape snark. It's unclear on my quick browse if HBP backstory revelations have been taken into account, but current time is not taking that course.
- CD
ETA: Having read some more, make that "Far, far better than canon."What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: At least as good as canon
I'll second With Malice Afterthough. I've read the first couple of chapters and find it, if not better than canon, then at least on par. (Sorry CD, I really liked book 6)*********
There's no need to hear, I can shout you.
I'm open to persuasion about merits for HPB, (though I doubt my emotional response/lack thereof to it will change) but suggest putting them in the thread I started to avoid springing spoiers on anyone that may not have read it yet and cares.
- CD
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?

SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: "Sunset Over Britain"
"SoB" has been purged by the suits at FanFiction.Net for violating some bizarre stricture about including author's notes in the chapters. It can now be found at
the authors' Yahoo! Groups site (this is considered a "mature" site so you need to register and claim age of 18+ to see it), as well as Jeconais' Yahoo! group.
For those actively reading, chapters 15 and 16 are now available. Fifteen is at the end of "master" story file as posted to the Snorkack files area, while 16 is in a standalone file.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
ffnet
... they canned SoB there?
Okay. Well, I've been pretty sure I'll never get an ffnet page before, and this just cinches it.
Bloody feckin' idjits.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Re: ffnet
I have to admit, the suits behind ffn are remarkably obliging -- every time I start seriously wondering if I should get a page there, they (like clockwork!) do something monumentally pointy-haired, convincing me that no, ffn is not the place I want to be. For all I know, now, my disclaimers and source cites would be considered verboten. I know for a fact that the off-site links to here, my concordance, and whatever, would get arbitrarily stripped out. That was what drove me off last time I started getting this urge.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
All the Small Things update
Slacker has pasted chapter 10 of All the Small Things to FFML. You can find it here.
Re: All the Small Things update
Sadly, there is no new Mini-Moni content in this chapter. Even so, it is still very good.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
SPSmith's With Malice Aforethought
This is seriously good stuff. I've gotten through 9 chapters of it and I'm really, really liking it. SPSmith is quite skilled, both technically and as a storyteller. I agree, it's as good as and probably better than canon.
Oh, as far as I can tell so far, it doesn't seem that any secrets from Harry Potter and the Half-Prude Blintz have been factored in.
The only oddness about it that strikes me is that at times the dialogue sounds like it was written for Buffy The Vampire Slayer -- it has that same kind of shorthand/wit/sound.

-- Bob
---------
I read through the whole thing while in between calls at work and I can identify that yes, you're right, Bob. There's one bit that really stood out. Where Crabbe/Goyle(whichever) is rambling off to Harry or Ron and all but quotes Spike's Happy Meals on Legs speech(part of it) edited to fit what is going on with the story.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Huh. I didn't expect actual quotes; I just thought the author had a Buffyesque ear for dialogue.
BTW, on the subject of dialogue -- was this the fic where Hermione repeated exclaims "Holy crickets!"? (I've read several HP fics in the last week and they've started to run together.) That was something from left field that just startled me when I first saw it.

-- Bob
---------
www.fanfiction.net/s/1762916/1/
Chains Forged in Fire has updated!
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Quote:
Chains Forged in Fire has updated!
Unfortunately, it's just enough to tantalize, not enough to sate.

-- Bob
---------
i'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet but... Jeconais' White Knight, Grey Queen has been updated with chapter 8. the end of the series.
it can be found at...
jeconais.fanficauthors.ne...shing.html_____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
SoB is now up to 18.
bobmin.fanficauthors.net/index.php
I really respect what Jeconais is doing here. He's offering all sorts of space to HP authors who have been wronged by the arselochen that run fanfiction.net.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
On that topic, is it just me or has ffn made it impossible for the casual browser to email their admins? I can't find any kind of contact information anywhere on the site.

-- Bob
---------
bob wrote:
Quote:
On that topic, is it just me or has ffn made it impossible for the casual browser to email their admins? I can't find any kind of contact information anywhere on the site.

Apparently so... I remember reading it on a mailing list somewhere that other people have been trying to do the same and ff.net's removed all ways to contact the people in charge from their site._____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
Quote:On that topic, is it just me or has ffn made it impossible for the casual browser to email their admins? I can't find any kind of contact information anywhere on the site.
The contact information can be found on the site faq, and it would be kind of strange for it to be impossible to contact them, as the stories deleted are done after they are reported to the said admin using the abuse report feature found at the bottom of every fanfic page there. About the author notes rules, you can have author notes as long as: a) they aren't in a chapter by themselves (place holder), b) they don'y have what ff.net terms as interactive chat, that includes author notes where the author respond to reviews (likely why this story was removed). The whole ban against review response inside chapters was created to stop the rising number of fics whose author notes accounted for more than 50% of the word count of the fic.
Hi, Grahorn, and welcome to the forums!
I'll have to go looking for the ffn faq and contact information, as I wanted to ask them when they stopped being fans (or at least fan-friendly) and started being empty suits...

-- Bob
---------
A thin veneer
A thin veneer a Star Trek/Babylon 5 crossover that was mentioned in another thread some time back has hit chapter 34 by now. And damn! The Federation-Minbari war is getting uglier by the minute. By now I'm hoping the Minbari won't surrender, just so that I can see them being bombed back into the stone age.
www.fanfiction.net/s/1944628/34/What if: Chibi Usa, Veteran Speznas Ninja Commando From Hell(tm)?
Re: Sunset over Britian
Chapter 20 is now available here:
Storm Surge at Dusk
-W"Ah, great. More androids." "We're not androids, we're the Knight Sabers!" "Huh. Frederick's of Hollywood has a line of power armor out. Who knew?"Falling out of aeroplanes and hiding out in holes

Waiting for the sunset to come, people going home

Jump out from behind them and shoot them in the head

Now everybody dancing the dance of the dead
Re: Shocker: Legit
this has a new chapter...
www.fanfiction.net/s/2594910/7/
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.