Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yakking about Naruto
Yakking about Naruto
I wrote this up commenting on edenfalling's LJ, actually, but it didn't gather much discussion there and I wanted to throw it out for people to go over.

WARNING: All of the following is my own speculation, not established canon.
See, the way I figure the hypnotic aspect of the Sharingan works starts with my theory on the Byakugan (you'll remember that the two are known to be related). Which essentially says that it has absolutely nothing to do with vision, per se, but rather allows its owner to perceive chakra (thereby seeing the tenketsu and inner coils system), and emit small amounts of same to bounce off of their environment and return back. In short, the 'zoom' and 'area coverage' aspects of the Byakugan are basically chakra sonar, like a bat or dolphin.
The proto-Uchiha developed out of the Hyuuga when some clever light noticed that genjutsu...
oh. Oh, my. I just figured out what determines whether a jutsu is ninjutsu or genjutsu.
A ninjutsu, no matter what its ultimate effect, sends chakra out to manipulate the inanimate world around it. A genjutsu, again without regard to its ultimate effect, sends chakra out to manipulate another living chakra system.
...anyway. Casting a genjutsu doesn't take that much more energy than the Byakugan was dealing with anywho, it just means that it has to be handled differently. (*pikupiku* Another brainstorm - Mangekyou Sharingan as function which allows the Sharingan to expand its targets beyond other living things? Discuss.) Having a specialized organ capable of projecting genjutsu would greatly increase a shinobi's speed, subtlety, and overall effectiveness, since they can just use it, rather than having to contort their entire chakra system to create a genjutsu, the way doing it with seals requires, so there's an obvious motivation for developing it.
The human brain and optic nerves are not built to handle the amount of sensory information the Byakugan throws at its users - this suggests that either most of the problem learning to use the thing is filtering the data rather than actually expanding its function, or, the modifications made to the Hyuuga eye extend deeper than just the cornea. If the second, then that additional 'processing power' available to process sensory input, when applied to a normal field of view, would let an Uchiha examine everything around them in the kind of detail that would take most people hours to cover even a few square feet. (possible argument for this is the way Neji was able to examine Hinata closely enough to pick up her 'tells' he'd have spent years learning - IIRC, he didn't have his Byakugan on yet)
I've heard fanfics suggest that the jutsu learned through the Sharingan are 'stored' in it, and can't be accessed when it's inactive, but I can't recall any sort of canon support for that theory. If the data being processed never goes higher in the brain than the optic nerve, then it might indeed be that way, but I think it's more likely that they're just able to 'look' at what their opponent is doing so intensely that the second or so the jutsu takes is like hours of study. Naturally, being able to examine the world and pick up its fine details would also go a long way towards breaking genjutsu centered around the visual sense, since even the best genjutsu user would miss some kind of fine detail in their presentation.
The appearance of the perceptive function after the genjutsu bit had been engineered into their eyes might or might not have been deliberate, probably depending on which version of the 'learning' function you use.
Anyway, the point of all this is that I think that the Sharingan is just using an extraordinary mechanism to create a perfectly ordinary genjutsu.
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Re: Yakking about Naruto
With the caveat that their attentin for fine detail makes the Uchiha's genjutsu extraordinarily hard to break, due to the difficulty of finding a flaw in it to focus the defender's attention on and unravelt the rest of the effect, I think I'd probably agree with you. Also, I'd think that the modification would hAVE to extend in some way to the ability to process visual information and derive useful data from it, if only because of the extraordinary amout of detail any normal person can percieve with practise thaty would ordinarily go unnoticed - espescially (tying back in again) under hypnosis, though tere's always the question of whether hypnotically recalled details are actually real, or recreated from the imagination of the one hypnotised based on what rea details they have.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: Yakking about Naruto
Quote:
Also, I'd think that the modification would HAVE to extend in some way to the ability to process visual information and derive useful data from it, if only because of the extraordinary amount of detail any normal person can perceive with practice that would ordinarily go unnoticed - especially (tying back in again) under hypnosis, though there's always the question of whether hypnotically recalled details are actually real, or recreated from the imagination of the one hypnotised based on what real details they have.
Actually, what that leads my mind back to is my theory that most of Itachi's 'inhuman speed' and 'monsterous chakra' are a result of his borrowing a trick from Rurouni Kenshin's Kurogasa - using self-hypnosis to control and harness a form of 'hysterical strength'. It would, among other things, explain why his endurance seems so minimal for a shinobi of his nominal level.
'Modification to processing' - is this supposed to apply to the Byakugan or the Sharingan? Either way, I do believe that there's at least something to this effect going on behind the commas - all I'm saying is that I think that it's plausible that the kind of upgrades needed to give full attention to what's essentially a complete sphere of vision could also be concentrated into a normal, human, 'less than ninety degrees' field of view and end up creating the kind of effects we've seen from the Sharingan.
Incidentally, I'm going to be using the other version in TGNH, since I'd already decided that the Sharingan in that universe grew out of the melding of a clan with illusiory doujutsu with another who could pull off the 'see and record' function, slightly weakening both traits in the process.
The idea that the Mangekyou lets its possessor generate ninjutsu as well as genjutsu appeals to me because it neatly explains Kakashi's otherwise inconsistent 'space warping' trick. It also fits well with my jutsu type definitions and the nature its supposed prototype, the Byakugan. See, bouncing chakra sonar off of things would definitely be a ninjutsu, which means that, when the Madoiringan was spun off of the Byakugan, it would also logically be capable of projecting chakra at neutral targets - doujutsu ninjutsu. If, however, there's an aspect of chakra behavior that lets genjutsu, er, have an easier time 'sticking' to their target, then the way those functions became weaker after being mixed with the Namishagan would make perfect sense, since some of the genetic factors that let the eyes generate and project with the neccessary force/intensity for ninjutsu were lost making room for the Namishagan's alterations to the optic nerve. Hence, why using the 'Mangekyou' - the full, original function of the Madoiringan - hurts so much, and damages vision the way it does.
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."