Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summoned to Tourney: Ranma meets Final Fantasy
Re: A choice made, a path set: tidbit from ch. 2
Not a Final Fantasy player, eh?
Well, generically, the Summoned Beasts are part of a particular style of magic from the games. Instead of casting spells directly, Summoners conjure up godlike entities to attack the enemy for them. This is one blast per spell in most games, but in some of the latter versions the Beasts will actually stick around and fight.
The actual role of the Beasts in the plot varies wildly from game to game--sometimes they're just window dressing, sometimes they're what it's all about. Final Fantasy 6 (3 in America) is the closest we have to providing a coherent origin for them.
There's a "core" set of Summoned Beasts that recur in most every game, and a bunch of one- or two-offs. Each of them has a particular specialty--Ramuh the Sage hits monsters with thunder magic, Shiva is a scantily-clad lady with ice powers, Ifrit a dog-faced, ornately horned demon who unleashes the fires of hell on your opponents, et cetera.
Alexander uses the Holy Judgement attack, smiting your foes with Holy-elemental power (very good against shadowy and undead monsters); he manifests as... well, as a humanoid city, or something. St. Basil's Cathedral with arms. And glowing feathered wings, sometimes.
Here's a picture from FF9 to drool over.
Alexander is standing behind the castle and the crystal spire; the dragon he's confronting is Bahamut, the Dragon King, a fellow Beast who'd been (at that time) taken over by one of the bad guys.
Akane will basically be wearing full plate armor reminiscent of that pic. And she'll have the wings.
--Sam
"Elf finger magic. I hate that."
The hotlink just gives a message that access is restricted - looks like you have to link to a page rather than the image.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
It says that I have no access to see that photo.-NeoRaven
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allen Poe
Sponsored by Black Aeronaut Technologies -
Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.-NeoRaven

Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.
Re: Summoned to Tourney: Ranma meets Final Fantasy
Edited it. Click on the link, go down to picture 6.
--Sam
"How the hell did I do that?"
Wow. That is truly nifties.
I really need to play through the FF series. And to see at least a little bit or Ranma.-NeoRaven

Quote:
Wow. That is truly nifties.
Agreed. Is much pretty!
Hmm. This seems an opportune moment - if a fellow who didn't know heads or tails from each other in that series was interested in picking up something of the sort for his PC, where would you recommend he start?
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
I'd recommend grabbing ZSNES and/or SNES9x, the two best Super Nintendo emulators, and then prowling the Net for ROMs of Final Fantasies 4, 5, and especially 6. (The fan-retranslated version of 6 if you can find it.)
Translation patches for Japanese ROM files are available here. Finding the actual ROMs is trickier, as sites are extremely fluid.
FF8 is legitimately available for the PC, but I don't know that I'd recommend starting there, it's a hell of a lot more complicated than the others--not for new players.
Oh, and since each game is a different story on a different fantasy world, you don't need to worry about continuity and backstory issues. Start wherever (else) you like.
--Sam
"You spoony bard!"
FF7
I'd recomend starting with FF7, and then going backwards (6,5,4,...) until you feel you have played enough. I have heard few good things about 8 and later so I haven't bothered with them.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Re: FF7
8 has a pretty darn good story, but Squall is just too damn angsty. The Junction System has been described by others as "too complicated to believe," but I didn't have much of a problem with it.
9, though, 9 is just freakin' cool. Retro and romantic and funny as all get out.
10 and 10-2... wow... Play them. Live them. Love them.
Just got the demo for 12 in my Dragon Quest 8 pack. Cut-scene trailer looks very interesting, got a very Original Trilogy Cast vibe going on, except the wookiee is a bunnygirl. Can't say much for the combat bits though, more Chrono Trigger than Final Fantasy. We'll see how the final version works out.
--Sam
"How the hell did I do that?"
Re: FF7
Quote:
got a very Original Trilogy Cast vibe going on, except the wookiee is a bunnygirl.
Bunnygirl? Wookie? Bunnygirl? Wookie?
With apologies to the female mambers of this board, I must regretfully say that I would prefer the Bunnygirl to the Wookie on the simple grounds that she is more interesting to look at.
Thank you and good night.-NeoRaven