Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kicking It Old School...
Kicking It Old School...
After re-reading a few old fanfics (Ah, Sailor Moon 4200, you stopped getting updated before we got a full set of Senshi, durnit!), I've been struck by the oddest little idea for a fic.. On top of two different sets of ideas for Sailor Moon Expanded (Which is, itself a bit of an odd tale to tell..)
I've rummaged around the net.
I've checked high and low.
But I have never, ever, found a fanfic about Mugen Senshi Valis. ... I'm tinkering seriously with an idea for a story. New world (with a connection to the old), new Chosen. Same old Sword With Heavy Karma Attached.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Bricks aimed at my head?
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Re: Kicking It Old School...
Quote:
(Ah, Sailor Moon 4200, you stopped getting updated before we got a full set of Senshi, durnit!)
Um, Angus is still working on that, just very slowly. He posted some new/revised material to the FFML just a few months ago.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Strange.. because I don't recall seeing it... Although I have been known to have my head under a rock sometimes... I'd ben going by the dates on his webpage for revisions and updates.
EDIT: I figured I should step in and do some more clarifying on the the devil Valis is...
Mugen Senshi Valis, first off, has nothing to do with the Philip K. Dick novel. The two have virtually no resemblance to one another. It was a side-scrolling action game put out for the MSX personal computer by Telenet Japan a couple of months after Metroid first came out. Basically, it's the prototype for both Sailor Moon and Rayearth, both of which retain nods to it. (The Sailor V game played often in both the comic and anime Sailor Moon bears a shocking resemblance to SD Valis, a joke remake of Valis 2. Rayearth itself retains even more nods to Valis through style and premise.)
Phoenominal cosmic power. Itty bitty miniskirts. Blood-soaked revenge. The oddity of the thing is that it's not shoujo, it's a shounen-style action series.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Well, it may depend on how you define "a few months ago". The most recent independent thing posted to the FFML by Angus MacSpon was SM: 4200 chapter 11, in three parts, in November of '04 - at least, according to my private FFML archive. (Although he's had a comparative spate of C&C in the last month, which may or may not be a positive sign).
Sailor Moon: 4200 is one of the ones I haven't read, partly on account of it's incomplete and partly on account of the degree to which it (by the best of my memory) diverges; I don't mind divergences necessarily, but when they go like I seem to remember that one is then I do prefer to not be cut off in them midstream.
Incidentally, does anyone remember who coined the phrase "Phenomenal cosmic power; itty bitty miniskirts" - and when? It obviously has to have come sometime after the release of the movie "Aladdin", but that doesn't really narrow it down very far.
Phenominal cosmic power...
I thought it was Ben Oliver, in one of the installments of Nuke 'Em Till They Glow!! - it was the title for a group biography of the Silver Millenium senshi written by the Atomic Starlight Knight, IIRC.
- CD
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?

SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
RE: 4200
It wasn't so much a divergence from the plot as it was a continuation after the plot of the original series stopped watching (to the tune of about 500-600 years after the Black Moon War).
As for the saying, that may have been it.. I can't remember anymore. It's been too long and spread a bit too far to track the source in my memory.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Re: RE: 4200
Basically, some centuries after the establishment of Crystal Tokyo, a new enemy appears and wipes it out, killing almost all of the Senshi and Neo-Queen Serenity, then itself vanishes. The world takes another millennium to dig itself out of a subsequent dark age, then begins rebuilding a civilization in the ruins of Crystal Tokyo, with Usagi and the Senshi being something like King Arthur and the Round Table, only with better historical documentation.
And just when everyone thinks everything's on track, new Senshi -- and a couple old ones -- start appearing, along with an enemy that looks suspiciously like the one that destroyed the Crystal Millennium. And this upsets everybody, not the least some of the girls who find themselves pushed into the roles of virtually mythological figures with all the extensive training and preparation that Usagi got before she became Sailor Moon (i.e., none).
And that's just the beginning.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Quote:
(i.e., none).
Well, except for Jupiter... ^_^
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
I still feel terribly sorry for Jupiter.. that has to be the utterly worst reaction I have EVER seen to a family discovering their child is a magical girl.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Quote:
Well, except for Jupiter... ^_^
Yeah, except for Jupiter.
Quote:
I still feel terribly sorry for Jupiter.. that has to be the utterly worst reaction I have EVER seen to a family discovering their child is a magical girl.
Well, not so much the magical girl part, I think, as the reincarnated part. Even so, a hell of an overreaction. At least some of the family is coming to the same conclusion and reopening channels of communication...

-- Bob
---------
RE: Re: RE: 4200
I can't help but wonder if there's something we haven't heard about what caused that reaction..
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Re: RE: Re: RE: 4200
Maybe. Remember that it's mostly her father who freaked, and dragged the rest of the family with him. Maybe there's something in his past.

-- Bob
---------