Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battletech Fic Recs
Battletech Fic Recs
Well, it's been done for various other fandoms, so why not? What've y'all seen in the way of interesting fanfiction about the Inner Sphere or
Clans? Particular props to anything that moots or voids the WizKids 'reset' or involves bitchslapping the Word of Blake but good.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

I only have one recommendation here, but it's a really really good
one. Among the best stories I've ever read, period, fanfiction or otherwise.

The Suomi Warders stories
by Dave Waino are about a small mercenary unit from the Free Worlds League, albeit a small unit with some pretty heavy corporate backing. Like most
Battletech fanfic, it's all about the original characters. I like that. Your milage may vary - but for what it's worth, I think most of the key cast
members are really well-fleshed out. Their leader is heir to a business empire...which doesn't mean, though, that he's been without tragedy in his
life. The stories are episodic, but the greater arc explores that history to its ultimate conclusion. Two words: "Starcade Massacre".

It's not perfect storytelling. The early prose is a little rough, and narrative-wise it suffers a little from what
I'd consider the Battletech fanfic tendency to focus on a small military unit...and yet have them function to ridiculous levels of lethal efficiency with
deep financial and technological resources. But of course that's something the animated series itself was guilty of...and the unit history as defined by
the author addresses those points, really. It's not mere happenstance that the character who runs the merc company is rich - that's pretty much
essential to the overall plot.

Best thing about this, though? The stories are complete.
Finished. Done. The original Suomi Warders arc is 19 chapters, and there's an additional two-part tale set a few years after that. Very satisfying, I
think.

(EDIT: The author also has a one-shot on the linked page, Angel Six, which is pretty good - the character from that has a cameo in the later Warders stuff, but
it isn't essential reading. An interesting notion in and of itself though.)

-- Acyl

"Slackers of the Inner Sphere" by JA Baker is amusing.

But the best thing to do is to go to the classicbattletech.com forums, hunt for threads started by Cannonshop, GiovanniBlasini, and Liam's Ghost, and read
them all in posting order. There are some serious gems there. (I have a compilation up through about six months ago saved at home, ask and I'll dig it
out.) There are two primary storylines - one covering the planet Kowloon, a rather unusual world in Lyran space, and the other following the adventures of
several AI warships left over from the Star League. They're VERY interesting.

There's even an "... in Hell" bit. [Image: smile.gif]
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

The Saotome Gambit is an old BT/Ranma fusion

www.fanfic.net/pub/Anime/FanFictions/Ra ... me-Gambit/

ECSNorway Wrote:"Slackers of the Inner Sphere" by JA Baker is amusing.

But the best thing to do is to go to the classicbattletech.com forums, hunt for threads started by Cannonshop, GiovanniBlasini, and Liam's Ghost, and read
them all in posting order. There are some serious gems there. (I have a compilation up through about six months ago saved at home, ask and I'll dig it
out.) There are two primary storylines - one covering the planet Kowloon, a rather unusual world in Lyran space, and the other following the adventures of
several AI warships left over from the Star League. They're VERY interesting.

Well the one I first found was,http://forums.classicbattletech.com/ind ... 531.0.html] Strangers in a Strange Land but could you've at least provided some linkage for 'em
The Misadventures of Darius Davion
The Misadventures of Darius Davion

Darius and the Hound

Darius at the Coronation

Darius and the Heartbreaker

Darius and the Happy Occasion

In the first half of the 31st century, the Federated Suns has no greater hero than Darius Davion. In history he must surely rank alongside such luminaries as
Edmund Blackadder, Harry Paget Flashman or bold, brave Sir Robin... Here in his own words are several of his more notable exploits - the most amazing of which
must be persuading most people not to put 'anti-' before 'hero' when describing him.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

There are several Battletech crossovers on Spacebattles due to a recent run (three or four fics) crossing it with the new Battlestar Galactica.

http://forum.spacebattles.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

Quote: drakensis wrote:

There are several Battletech crossovers on Spacebattles due to a recent run (three or four fics) crossing it with the new Battlestar Galactica.

I really started something there with Hunted Tribes which kicked it off, the problem is I'm too
busy with other Fics to put much time into it at the moment.