Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Bang random thought
Dead Bang random thought
It was mentioned at one point that Nene had hacked Doug's helmet, and retrieved a lot of status data from it before he removed the auto-reply function from
it.

How much did she get?

The reason I'm wondering is a thought I had for chapter 6. When Lisa starts solo-ing, she's going to be feeling mighty lonely for a while. She might
start super-leaping around town with a portable music player with her. I've already figured out what her favorite "reminds her of Doug" pieces
would be. But are there any songs in his list that you feel she'd gravitate to more?

Also, a fun thought crossed my mind that I thought I should check about here first. I'm looking at her using an optically-controlled interface for a
handful of devices she'll be carting along courtesy of her benefactors. The music player would be one of them. I was considering having her get Nene to
alter it so it was voice controlled similar to Doug's system, as something she puts together to remember him with. But would you rather that not be
duplicated? I'm thinking it would be something of a moment for Doug, whenever he finally meets up with her again, if she casually gives
a system play command to her music player, forgetting that Doug's just standing *right there* and listening to her do it. [Image: smile.gif]
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I'm thinking she only got the play list... I remember Priss wondering what 'Gossamer Axe' sounded like and complaining it was impossible for Sir
Paul McCartney to have written songs at such and such a point, also the Beetles broke up 3 years earlier... that point being post-mortem and all..

The Data down load is in part 5 mentioned at the end of the Iceman battle. Nene cracks it at the start of part 6 and in the middle, post superbommer, they go
over his a bit past the half way point.

Quote: Nene displayed a flowchart. "There is one *big* data warehouse connected to the system, and it's all audio files, encoded in old-style MP4. Each
file is tagged in a database that indexes the songs by title, artist, composer, lyricist, subject, themes *and* by every word of the lyrics. There's a
status report for a retrieval mechanism that can be controlled either by voice or by some kind of keyed commands, that will either play a given song or throw
its lyrics up on the tactical display." She sighed. "Sylia, part of this report is a complete list of over three thousand songs stored and
indexed in that system. Add that to everything else this says is available online to him, and I have no idea where or how he could be carrying that much
storage, even with the latest memory solids!"
They can't have the songs as the files where greater than Nene's hard drive space... they did get the text of the songs and a list though.
So unless the songs came with the end series data dump... they just can't have them.

Well, if there were able to get the tag data on the MP4's at the very least, then Lisa could see about finding the songs in her home reality. Granted, she
wouldn't be able to find them all since some of them are specific to certain universes (and won't it be a head-scratcher when they find songs that do
exist in their universe, but had different titles or were done by a different artist, or maybe even a different genre altogether).

They certainly were able to find songs that didn't exist in their universe -- Priss didn't recognize Pat Benatar at all, or "Hotel California" by the Eagles (and she noted the lack of an Eagles song which apparently didn't exist in Doug's home universe).

Ian, I have no problems at all with any of your ideas. Go wild.

Just so long as we eventually see more Dead Bang.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Also, a fun thought crossed my mind that I thought I should check about here first. I'm looking at her using an optically-controlled interface for a handful of devices she'll be carting along courtesy of her benefactors. The music player would be one of them. I was considering having her get Nene to alter it so it was voice controlled similar to Doug's system, as something she puts together to remember him with. But would you rather that not be duplicated?
Well, Bob didn't mind when I put this bit into LoGG chapter 4:

Yayoi looked over Lisa's shoulder to read the song's title. "Oh, Noah's got that one in his soundtrack collection." She turned to the 'Blade's controls, picked up the microphone, and said into it, "System, load song 'Run With Us'. Play song."

Everyone stared at her.

"The entertainment control system was Noah's idea. Blame him."

As I recall, Bob's response was either a smirk or an amused snort...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Oh, yeah, I forgot that.

Yeah, like I said, go wild. It's not a big deal.
-- Bob
---------

Thanks! I've got a few blurbs of chapter 6 written. Apparently after I had a small meltdown earlier this week (some of you on CoH caught some of that.
Sorry about dumping in all directions like that), I started writing again. Go figure. [Image: smile.gif]

Anyway, this is a quick blurb from early in chapter 6. This takes place right after Jupiter has arrived without warning. (which reminds me, I have to finish
those Sailor Moon disks Rob Kelk loaned me...)

-----------------------

"You notice how a lot of our recorded Events occur in a particular

section of the Tinsel City area?"

Ilya nodded slowly. "Da. You think natural condition this is? As if

natural softspace phenomenon exists in that portion of city, yes?"

Tony nodded once, eyes narrow. "That's it exactly." He looked over at

Daniel. "We know Madigan's going to want to know what happened, and what

it means. We also know we don't have any more answers than what's in

front of us right now, and probably won't for a while anyway. But she's

still going to want a suggested plan of action." Ilya and Daniel nodded

at each of the points Tony raised.

"So what I suggest then is we go ahead and give her a recommendation.

IDEC needs to buy a section of Tinsel City and set up a research center

there." Tony pulled up a map of Megatokyo, and superimposed the previous

pinhole readings over top of it. Most of them converged on an abandoned

alley in a dilapidated section of town.

"Right here, in fact. We need to build a large laboratory right there."

----------

Still writing up the sequence involving Madigan, Lisa, and Nene. I also have an unformed image at this point of Sailor Jupiter confronting the unlikely image
of the Queen Beryl-equivalent in this reality being Sailor Loon's backer and head cheerleader. Not sure how I"m going to play that one, but it's
too good not to write up. [Image: smile.gif]
---

Well, very cool. I'm looking forward to this.
-- Bob
---------

Oooo. That's an interesting idea in your snippet. I am on the fence, however, as to whether it is a smart or stupid idea.

Smart because yay, now you can see everyone that comes through the gates!

Stupid because not everyone that comes through the gates suffers such convenient side effects like Doug's that allow them to be detained and anyone that
has enough power to be hopping through the multi-verse most likely can respond forcefully to detainment attempts. And that's assuming a generally
benevolent traveler...

They put the lab in the area... not covering the single pixel that in the jump point. That way They are close enough to monitor and do stuff without risking
random Demonlord J McSquishUpants trashing the base, but still near enough to make quick direct contact.

As for the SJ thing... have her looking to track down the random Sailor Scout mentioned by a certain dimensionally displaced scientist and track her down
after/during the combat and follow her home. A bit of timing and Madigan shows up for her usual meeting.

Quote:a particular section of the Tinsel City area
Is not the same as
Quote:single pixel that in the jump point.

The jump/exit point could be localized without being specifically a certain location.
Something along the lines of a wavelet function. Certain places being more easier to get through.
I think an explanation along these points would provide a rough reason on why these things happen in a localized section of the city without restricting the jump/exit point.

[image]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ynz ... -small.jpg [/image]

I was replying to the previous comment about the amusement vs. stupidity factor of building around the point of entry considering they'd get owned. Beside
the previous dimensional travelers are always appearing outside of buildings so it wouldn't work anyway.

Hmm. I agreed with that statement so i did not feel the need to comment on that. (even found the "Demonlord J McSquishUpants " thing amusing. Also brings to mind images of a demonic sponge bob square pants. )

Quote:appearing outside of buildings
Could be a consequence of the spell/other way dimensional travel is made. The need to not appear in or not bounce of a large piece of rock or other solid state material.

Quote:This takes place right after Jupiter has arrived without warning. (which reminds me, I have to finish those Sailor Moon disks Rob Kelk loaned me...)

So you can borrow the rest of the series, yes...
Quote:"Right here, in fact. We need to build a large laboratory right there."
Wouldn't they be annoyed if the softspace phenomenon exists because of Sacred Architecture, and building a new lab moves (or worse, destroys) the jump point? (evil grin)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Or if no such thing actually exists, and it's all an illusion caused by Doug's caution in going back to the same spot every time he did dimensional
stuff?
-- Bob
---------

Except the reason he kept going back to that spot was specifically, because the dimensional gate would open there in the first place. The only other main just
we have scene actually helps confirm that repeated dimensional jumps in an area weaken the fabric or something. Though it could just be that the local Overgod
decided to annoy Doug by dropping him off in the Fates dwelling. That would be in character for that Overgod.

Granted I'm only working with 2 examples here... but I remember it referenced that in the unpublished first Walk that he jumped in around a mana node.
Which is what the temple home of 3 goddesses is. We also know that the Megatokyo in question sits on a giant mana node... So I'm guessing that is where it
has a pressure bleed outlet. Tinsel City.

If you follow the idea in the original magic source material that the land reflects changes affecting the magic, and vice versa, it's possible the
overpopulation and overindustrialization in the last century caused a violent reaction in the super-node. This would have caused the Kanto Quake. And the
Tinsel City area, if it *is* the bleed-off point, is the point which was hit the hardest. Since that part of the larger Tokyo area literally *dropped* by
something like five hundred feet, along with all the other damage the quake did, it's reasonable to assume that was the epicenter of the quake, and thus,
the center of the bleed.

If the entire Tinsel City zone is the bleed point, Doug's continuing to go back to that same alleyway while trying song after song may have focused and
refined the effect, so that dimensional space is unusually receptive to people traveling in and out. Sort of how you can magnetize iron by whetting it
repeatedly with a real magnet.

In any event, I'm up to 30K on chapter 6. Still just getting warmed up, which may make it my longest chapter yet.
---

Quote:Except the reason he kept going back to that spot was specifically, because the dimensional gate would open there in the first place.
Not precisely. He's hedging his bets. The first time he tries to gate out of MegaTokyo, it's in an abandoned warehouse, not the alleyway. He does figure that it wouldn't hurt to be in the same spot a gate formed in once before:
Quote:I didn't know enough about my means of transit, but I was fairly certain that I needed a "weak point" in local space-time in order to form a gate, and the only one I knew of was here. (from DW2 chapter 2)
But it's not mandatory, nor is he certain that it's necessary. It's just stacking the deck in his favor.
-- Bob
---------

Plus there's no guarantee that someone else's method of interdimensional travel will work the same way as Doug's.

True, however the gate that Hiroe opened was similar in description to the gate that Doug opened. So it may stand to reason that the gates they're opening
represent the "easiest, natural" gate of that type to open. Basically, playing with universal forces to create a stable gateway between realities
tends to manifest in a specific way. This is what Nature comes up with. If you want something fancier, you have to do it yourself.

As for Makoto's arrival, Queen Usagi knows that Hiroe's device was built to be one-shot, so it's not possible to return through that point. Given
that it was built in secret in a GENOM research lab, it's really not desirable to do so even if it were possible. So the other weak-spot phenomenon in the
Megatokyo area would be a lot more attractive, especially since Hiroe wasn't sure where it was, and thus it could reasonably be assumed IDEC and GENOM
didn't either. Odds are Makoto has already been training in everything Hiroe did, and can make an exit door anywhere on Earth, if she needs to.

But the potential for future complications for that Earth go way up once IDEC builds a lab near a phenomenon they can actually study full-time. Suddenly they
can run *tests*, and that's when it gets scary...
---

"She told us there was science and magic. And that we'll only find one-half of the equation. "

"That's a load of BS. "He waved his hand." There is science which are things we comprehend and magic which are things we do not comprehend
yet. Once it is understood, it becomes science. "

"Exactly what I've always said. " Tony pointed out.

"Also, my instruments tell me there is a gigantic mana node under your city. "

Tony slumped.

Hey, Ian... just out of curiosity, have you talked to Rob about my intentions for Makoto?
-- Bob
---------

No... not a clue.

So far in the storyline, she's stayed mostly in the background, so she hasn't done anything that would interfere with official canon (or fanfic canon,
I don't think).

Oh, by the way. I've posted DB6. I was feeling inspired this week. 147K in one, five-day shot.

I need my head examined. [Image: smile.gif]

Anyway, it's preliminary, as there's a *lot* of relationship and plot advancement dialogue in this one. If anyone thinks it's weak anywhere, let me
know. Some of this was written very very early in the morning, but heck, I'm the writer. I think it all looks perfect Tongue

http://www.cyberus.ca/~dragonflight/dead_bang/Dead Bang 6.txt
---

Oh, cool. I'll give it a look immediately.

In re: Makoto: if Dead Bang is going to be in continuity with Girls, Girls, Girls, she can't permanently team up with Lisa, or take Lisa out of that universe. (That's assuming she's even from the same Sailor Moon timeline that Doug visits, which frankly isn't a safe bet.)
-- Bob
---------

I wasn't planning on a permanent team-up or on having her remove Lisa anyway. Makoto's job is to identify who *reached* into their reality a while
back. Hiroe has theories, which dovetails with what Ami detected, but they still don't know anything. Not concrete. Usagi would like to help the girl if
she's trying to find her way, and would like to protect Megatokyo if the girl is genuine threat in a Sailor uniform. She also needs to minimize the profile
her agent(s) represent. So, one Senshi only. That senshi thus needs to be able to hold her own in a fight, and still help the girl understand the
responsibilities that come with the uniform she snagged. Also, if she's *not* a genuine Senshi, but just someone who grabbed a "copy" of the
outfit, Makoto needs to decide if she will encourage the girl to *not* be a Senshi.

Based on this latest chapter, Makoto's clearly willing to entertain the possibility that Lisa could live up to the ideals, even if she's not genuine
Senshi.
---