Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun Idea for Crossover-Harem
Fun Idea for Crossover-Harem
This is an idea that's been bugging me for a while, and while I've started working on it the other night, a bit of input would be welcome.

The idea runs like this. Our Hero is a you man of partial Native American decent who has always wanted to come to Japan. He's absolutely brilliant
(graduates high school two years early despite 'pacing' himself) and he's got reasonably good looks - however he scares most of the girls away with
his iconoclastic nature in that he absolutely refuses to belong to any one of the stereotypical cliques.

His father is a fairly high-ranking officer in the Navy who is getting ready to retire after twenty years of service. He is taking his final billet in Japan
and he's taking his son with him. The mother passed away early on. Both parents were forward-thinking, though, and she had a life insurance policy set up
so the majority of the money went into a trust fund.

So, he sets himself up in his own little bachelor pad in Japan, already accepted into a school of engineering...

...In Juban.

The first young lady he meets is quite incidental. He stops an elderly man from falling into the tracks when he has a heart attack. Later that day, a lovely
Japanese girl with long black hair shows up to thank him. Her name is Rei and she works at the temple her grandfather runs.

Things are looking good, up until a couple of months later some suits show up at his school. In the name of the Emperor, they take him to meet a very large
man in a tiger-stripe suit who claims to be an Oni and is here to conqeur Earth. But, he's a sportsman and wants to give them a shot at defeating them
through a game of 'Tag.'

Enter young lady number two. Our Hero is smart and lays down two rules: No Flying, No Electrokinesis. Just to be even more sporting, they even let him choose
the venue: the wild hill country west of Austin, TX, USA.

Lum knows nothing at all about pacing herself or trying to evade a hunter, so it turns into a battle of who's got the better endurance. Our Hero
eventually catches her on the fifth day of the challenge once she'd ran herself ragged.

Lum zonks out at the point and Our Hero makes camp. She has lurid and sureal dreams of someone hunting her down and having his way with her - not that she
minds one bit! She wakes up reluctantly and finds Our Hero at the river's edge where he set up camp - tells him that whatever happened, that was
more than just a marriage propasal where she comes from.

Bewildered, the Powers that Be, Mr. Invader included, decide that Lum is to be engaged to Our Hero to seal the deal. Cue the WTF-gasms from both Our Hero and
Our Lady of Fire.

Things are rough for the next month. The one thing the competing girls can agree on, fortunately, is that Our Hero is not to lose any grade-points and force
him to throw himself into his school work. With surprising results - he's soon going for Double-Doctorates in a hodge-podge of engineering subjects.
Wonder why?

Enter Contender #3, Teletha Testarossa of MYTHRIL. Making grades like that tends to get someone noticed, and after getting access to his latest bloodwork it
is discovered that he's a Whispered. Certainly explains a few things.

MYTHRIL wants Our Hero and his paramours to work for them, for obvious reasons. For reasons that aren't quite clear, they get stuck with the Tuatha
de'Danan
. The mayhem soars to new heights as Testarossa sets her sights on Our Hero (and somewhere Sosuke breathes a sigh of relief and pities the
poor bastard).

It's vacation time for everyone and Our Hero decides to take it easy in Juban - with everyone else gone, he has a chance to finally relax. That is, until
a Random Youma Attack, with Our Hero getting chased into Forbidden Grounds on Rei's Temple. Turns out there's another youma imprisoned there.

Our Hero meets a cute girl with green hair and a pink kimono in that area - initially thinks she just happened to stumble in there. Turns out she's the
imprisoned youma, actually a kitsune by the name of Youko. She cuts a deal with him - free her by exchanging belongings and she'll kill the youma. Done
deal!

Oh, BTW: that deal? Actually a contract binding them together. He's got an ass-load of spirit energy (damn Native American background) and Youko likes
that potential very much. Too bad the other women in his life are going to be pissed.

Things start to get stressful and Our Hero has become all but addicted to Melon Soda. During a moment of quiet, he pops the tab on his last can in stock and
starts to take a nice long pull... only to find that it's become a kiss!

Hello and what did you do with my Melon Soda?

You are my Melon Soda?

I'm your master now?

Excuse me while I go beat my head on the wall and chant in ancient Latin.

Working Title: Kami-sama, Why Do You hate Me So?

And all this, of course, is just the setup. I have a few ideas in mind for some adventures that are equal parts Tenchi Muyo and FMP in content and style. I
also plan on throwing in the other folks, of course. (Senshi and Inukami teaming up for a take-down, MYTHRIL conspiring with Lum's family, everybody
getting involved in the Akikan Selects, etc.)

However, some fresh input would be a welcome thing. Anyone care to help out?
RE: Fun Idea for Crossover-Harem
Well, if you want more complications, or a larger harem (which is the same thing in this sort of story)...

Our Hero was lucky enough to find an apartment in a good building when he moved to Japan - spacious (for Japan) apartments, a reputation for security, and pleasant, attractive neighbours: Miyako Toudaiji and Maron Kusakabe. Upon returning home late one evening, he discovers Marron's secret... and decides it's something that he should help her with.

One pleasant afternoon, Our Hero and one (or more) of his paramours is out for a walk in the woods when they come across an elementary-school girl holding a wounded... is that a ferret? They tend to the animal's wounds and help it and the girl get home safely, where Our Hero meets Takamachi-chan's older sister Miyuki -- who's immediately smitten. (C'mon, every harem needs a ninja... ) Can they help Miyuki's little sister with whatever's worrying her?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne looks cute, but I don't have access to the material at this time. Perhaps later...

Nanoha on the other hand... Oh dear me, but I do love the idea of having a Ninja around! (^_^)

It plays in well with the rest of the cast (so far: MPG, Alien Princess, Demoness, Scrapper, and Militant/Technologist). In addition, Our Hero would find
little Nanoha irresistably cute and she'd quickly fill in the "Little Sister He Never Had" role. Plus, the girl has that aura of kawai around her
that causes the other paramours to just melt, thus causing much welcome serenity whenever she's around. (Our Hero knows better - it's only a matter of
time before they all start demanding his firstborn.)

Sinppets and drafts to come as soon as my ship gets back into port. (^_^)

Quote: Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne looks cute, but I don't have access to the material at this time. Perhaps later...
I'll point you at the http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/105.html although there aren't very many seeds for them any more.

The manga (with a slightly different plot) is available from DC/CMX. Here's the http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... 7529/4/0/0; it has links to their pages for the other six volumes.
Quote:Nanoha on the other hand... Oh dear me, but I do love the idea of having a Ninja around! (^_^)
Doesn't everybody? (Assuming she's a friendly ninja, of course.) Especially when she's as attractive as Miyuki?

Edit: Oh, and I just thought of something obvious...

We looked at the girl, no older than Nanoha, who had us pinned down. "I don't suppose you'd be willing to tell us your name?"

"Fate. Fate Testarossa."

I blinked.

"Never seen her before in my life," Teletha answered my unspoken question.

"But she could be a relative?"

"Maybe."

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

*Snrts* It's simply too good to pass up.

On the subject of Miyuki's disposision... Just how protective do you think she's going to be of Nanoha around Our Hero, and what affect this would
have? If she's super-proctective, I can see it as having two affects: 1) She's simply torn between her feelings for Our Hero and Nanoha, or 2)
She's going to go absolutely bipolar, switching between doting on her erstwhile fiance and giving leaving him death threats punctuated with kunai.

Quote: *Snrts* It's simply too good to pass up.
Thank yew.

(I'm interested in seeing where you go with it...)

Quote:On the subject of Miyuki's disposision... Just how protective do you think she's going to be of Nanoha around Our Hero, and what affect this would have? If she's super-proctective, I can see it as having two affects: 1) She's simply torn between her feelings for Our Hero and Nanoha, or 2) She's going to go absolutely bipolar, switching between doting on her erstwhile fiance and giving leaving him death threats punctuated with kunai.
Let's see... Nanoha is one of the four most important people in Miyuki's life (five once she falls for Our Hero), and the only one who isn't in a relationship. I suspect she's going to be very protective of imoto-chan...

But the entire family's used to being protective of Nanoha without making it obvious; after all, she's the only one who doesn't know about the family business. (No, not the cake shop. The other family business.) I don't see "bipolar" happening any time soon.
--
Rob Kelk

However, if this happens after the end of A's, the family definitely knows about Nanoha's business... Miyuki may not feel the need to be protective of little sister if she knows little sister is capable of vaporizing small planets...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

If you want to do something really out of the ordinary, you could have everyone get along...

-Morgan.

Quote: Morganni wrote:

If you want to do something really out of the ordinary, you could have everyone get along...

-Morgan.
Hrm... True. The next closest thing to that I have ever seen would be Nagasarete Airaunto. And it would certainly take on that flavor once they
stop actively fighting each other and simply work on winning his affections.

Now, the question is how would you make that more interesting. Having pirates/ninja/zombies/Galacticus bust down your door is interesting and all, but I gotta
have something really solid behind it. I'll have to spend some time thinking on this one, but further ideas are welcome.

Quote: Now, the question is how would you make that more interesting.... I'll have to spend some time thinking on this one, but further ideas are welcome.
I hate to say this, but Ranma 1/2 suggests a way to go on that -- echoed to an extent in OMG, too, and a few other harem anime.
Specifically, these are all quite attractive girls, at least the ones whose names I recognize, and there may probably will be other guys
who're interested in them ... and want to clobber Our Hero into giving them up. Not to mention that, as you hinted in the beginning, getting involved with
a girl who has enemies means Our Hero and the whole harem becomes a target for those enemies....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Good point. I'm pretty sure I can come up with several original characters who think they're more entitled to one of these ladies than Our Hero.

Hrm... The son of a high-ranking Yakuza? How about a little-known member of the Imperial Family (nobody in Japan likes to talk about him much - not out of
respect, but out of sheer embarasment). These two should cause enough mayhem, especially if they team up. I still suspect that maybe one or two more are
needed...

Oh yeah! How about a cousin from his Mother's side of the family? Be a guy who's got a chip on his shoulder about how much better more
accomplished Our Hero is compared to him. And best of all, he's got a younger sister that doesn't think much of his schemes and is always ready with a
billy club to whack him senselss. It's a trope, I know, but one that works.

Now, I can already see that the real challenge is going to be in keeping it from devolving into Ranma-level stupidity, not to mention that I do want this story
to have a happy ending somewhere. More brainstorming is in order.

Thanks, DHBirr! (^_^)

First impression is I want be beat the male lead with a tire iron. That may seem very harsh, but I just can't like him as presented. He screams SI,
one with really lopsided Character Point distribution and a vaguely mixed race background for extra 'Win' factor. So I'll address things with him
and how the character as presented fit into this model.

First off there is the 'iconoclastic' thing... from what is written he sounds like he sits around calculating how much he fits into any particular
group and does something that will put him not so much of that group. He also does it to the level that it scares people to the point the girls are all
avoiding this OCD 'needs to be a nonconformist' nutjob. As far as I can tell he has no old friends, either burned all his bridges or kids just
didn't like him enough to try. Which means to me he is 'brillant', because, he reads, watches, and/or studies like mad at everything that catches
his attention for 5 seconds, until something else catches his attention, because he hasn't had anyone his age to attached to. His father's background
does indicate he doesn't actually stay anywhere for longer than a year or two and that probably doesn't help with his lack of social skills. Having a
high ranking Navy officer as a dad he has been constantly exposed to lines like 'All it takes for evil to win is for good men to do nothing' and the
very Japanese idea of not actually bothering to get involved... he lacks the Someone Elses Problem mind set and would consider developing one to be joining a
national stereotypical clique. Which makes him that guy in a Japanese class that is an entertaining train wreck to live through vicariously.

His usual intensity with randomly shifting focus was just to much in America. However, he is currently spending his first semester on a jam packed with all
the GenEd and prerequisite course time allows (at least half again as many or twice as many as normally taken). That this is actually eating up much of his
spare time by default. Thus forcing him to actually focus. Which is when combined with his need to ace everything is ironing some of the most jarring focus
switches of his.

As the Indian (feathers, not dots) background, as presented so far, make it seem like an excuse for massive mass of previously useless spiritual powers from
nowhere this much be addressed. So we have a partial ancestry of some undefined Indian background to deal with. First off, I'd make his mom half and
half... this will give him the connection he needs not to be some totally lame, born with super spirit powers SI. I'm guessing his dad moves him around
with him and does so every year or two so he doesn't have to deep specific routes with any particular group of Indians. However his grandfather a shaman
type that started teaching him and sets him up with a new teacher through the grapevine each move... so he has lots and lots of training in the basics, power
expansion meditation, and the like but can't actually Do anything useful to speak of (barring seeing spirits and minor things that aren't that
complicated.) Only this gives him a large amount of unfocused energy in ever increasing amounts.

So we have an engineering mind set with a load of unfocused power behind it. The engineering mind set involves taking things apart and seeing how the work
on a basic level. Also, a need to understand stuff at that level. The more defined detail the better. Which means item maker... in his case he mostly makes
things that consume lots of power but do little to nothing. That will fulfil his needs as an engineering mind for understand of small details and
micromanagement. He figures he can do something more useful later after college. This also means he has lots of notes sitting around and won't radiate
'eat me I'm yummy' vibes constantly. Also having him were nifty Indian (feathers, not dots) themed stuff (bracers, an amulet, and/or belt) under
his shirts will let him have a touch of background linkage without him obsessively pointing it out every ten lines.

So he heads off to Japan, 'They got all kinds of spiritual stuff to study and not only in far off monasteries with no electricity' is his reason for
wanting to go rather than 'anime good' thing going on. Which means he has something to talk with Rei about and keep them meeting each other for the
months it takes for her to become intrested without making it a sudden thing.Then comes in the Lum thing and with him being an engineering mind set so that he
has a valid reason to go all rules lawyer on her. That will also avoid him start channeling the foreknowledge of SI goodness vibe. Also, the do good things
tendancy of his with place nicely into the model that gets her to stake claim on him... I mean her dad has issues with understanding she wants a humaniod
husband.

MYTHRIL wants Our Hero and his paramours to work for them, for obvious reasons. The question of why Rei would be wanted is completely and utterly
unexplained here. To the point of not making any sense. As stated this seems rather a case of 'screaming "Look over there" followed by running
away' level hand waving. Rei isn't a Whispered. They can't have a bonfire on ship, sacred or not, for her preistess tallents. Oddly you have
stated nothing to confirm or deny any actual Sailor Senshiness involved. Considering you have a magic princess of Neptune, who lives there no less, who is
going to visit Lum... I can't see not using it.

Which means you have to decide which group of enimies are going to be currently facing the Senshi. If its the Dead Moon Circus its going to mean Lum is
going to report the giant invisible circus tent that is hogging airspace. Lum is literally a legal alien to Earth. She actually has a valid visa and renews
it at one point. If its the first season I'm guessing the one other surviving planet in the solar system is going to be full of not happy when they learn
Beryl is back. Though your lead male does fit the targets of the Death Busters... Pure heart (focused on the task of getting a complex multipart degree and
all) so I can see that being the type chasing him into the shrine. (Taking off his power wasting stuff would provide the burst of spirit power at that time
for the kitsune to note without making him a complete demon magnet.)

Not knowing that series off the top of my head (I can vaguely think of 4 with that general theme going on) I can't be really specific there. But I can
tell you to remember to decide if Youko is an alien like Lum or an actual demon. Lum kinda has most 'demons' end up as alien tourists of old and the
like.As for why Rei is on the sub, lets just say that Rei can't see invisible battlemechs and they can see her transform. Rei refuses to explain why she
is there and Teletha won't be clear on the reason. It appeals to MITHRIL to have someone that is useful against the super natural.Melon is the one I'm
real dubious on... largely because its going to take a lot of effort to use such a different character to give her the same personallity and upbringing... and
make it make sense. Go to far from the base character and you might as well use a different soda. I'd suggest making her caffinated soda (needs caffine
to keep up with the course load he is going with.).

The real weirdness comes in when you actually concider what Melon is racially. She is one of those spirits of a random object kamis. The kind found in
random rocks and twigs as well as mountains and rivers. Only her kind has been heavily modified. As a can of soda is totally disposable the spirits of them
should be so weak that they can't even manifest outside the can and are only a carbonation bubble or two high... only they have been modified so that only
one kami can manifest for the entire type of soda... on a global level. This makes them capable of tossing of attacks that can obliterate steal beams and make
craters a dozen or four feet wide. They also power up through an act of canabalism. This is from a regional soda... try to imagine what it would be like if
this happened with Pepsi or Coke. Think MG with DBZ powers and an extreme racial hate of each other (though it could be a hostile rivalry). Which is what
people are going to think Melon and her kind are. This is going to make the spiritally aware harem members freak a bit. Depending on how they see her is
going to mix things up a lot. I mean you pretty much have to make the Epically, flamingly gay guy into a duel whispered between making the Melon like race and
being really, really flamingly gay to add it to the series. And someone will think of the Kami of Pepsi and Coke and Mountian Dew and Dr. Pepper and the like.
I can see Gauron gleefully demanding people 'Kneel before Tab'.

I also guessing that Rei and Kanami go to the same school.Just remember that any harem member has to bring at least some of their collection of idiots with
them and you already opened up the universe on him. Can't make things to easy on him. Though him not being anywhere near as durable as as most harem
masters. I'd suggest having him learn shielding spells after the youma chase mess. Lets him use that power and walls are something engineers unstand how
to make.For a suggestion as a logical extension of the harem to torment him I'd go with Golden Darkness from To-LOVE-ru only need to have the doctor work
at one of the schools. I can see one of Lum's stalker wanna-be-husbands hiring her. Then totally screw things up and thinking Sosuke is your male lead...
causing Sosuke fighting her (misery loves company). I mean he is the only listed male that could end up as his male friend... the one that points out he has
formed on of those 'stereotypical cliques' from those harem animes. His class mates brought up the topic and he noticed the similarities so he asked
the lead about it later. Cue freak out by the lead.

That is about all I can think of with the data given.

Necratoid: your input is priceless.

Actually, you know what the hell of it is? I was going the same direction you are here. I've just been giving the broadest strokes of the character at
this point, so once I'm done developing him the way I want you should be able to lose that "KillitKillitKillitQUICK!" reflex. Wink

Anyhow, I'll go over the points you've brought up in turn.

Quote: Necratoid said:

First off there is the 'iconoclastic' thing... from what is written he sounds like he sits around
calculating how much he fits into any particular group and does something that will put him not so much of that group. He also does it to the level that it
scares people to the point the girls are all avoiding this OCD 'needs to be a nonconformist' nutjob. As far as I can tell he has no old friends,
either burned all his bridges or kids just didn't like him enough to try. Which means to me he is 'brillant', because, he reads, watches, and/or
studies like mad at everything that catches his attention for 5 seconds, until something else catches his attention, because he hasn't had anyone his age
to attached to. His father's background does indicate he doesn't actually stay anywhere for longer than a year or two and that probably doesn't
help with his lack of social skills. Having a high ranking Navy officer as a dad he has been constantly exposed to lines like 'All it takes for evil to
win is for good men to do nothing' and the very Japanese idea of not actually bothering to get involved... he lacks the Someone Elses Problem mind set
and would consider developing one to be joining a national stereotypical clique. Which makes him that guy in a Japanese class that is an entertaining train
wreck to live through vicariously.

Dear sweet Kami, man! You've nailed the guy on the head! Nonconformist (which is pretty damn funny considering who his father is), not many friends,
moves too much to build friends network/social skills, reads A LOT! (two walls in his room are dedicated to nothing... but... BOOKS), somewhat short attention
span (OOH! Shiny! leads to broad range interest in Engineering), and never believes it's Someone Else's Problem (to the point of Utena-like righteous
indignation).

His usual intensity with randomly shifting focus was just to much in America. However, he is currently spending his first semester on a jam packed with
all the GenEd and prerequisite course time allows (at least half again as many or twice as many as normally taken). That this is actually eating up much of
his spare time by default. Thus forcing him to actually focus. Which is when combined with his need to ace everything is ironing some of the most jarring
focus switches of his.

Yep, this is going to be especially true once his paramours figure out how smart he really is and the
LEAN on him to do better. Given that they're all Type A personalities, it shouldn't be too much trouble for them.
Wink

As the Indian (feathers, not dots) background, as presented so far, make it seem like an excuse for massive mass of previously useless spiritual powers
from nowhere this much be addressed. So we have a partial ancestry of some undefined Indian background to deal with. First off, I'd make his mom half and
half... this will give him the connection he needs not to be some totally lame, born with super spirit powers SI. I'm guessing his dad moves him around
with him and does so every year or two so he doesn't have to deep specific routes with any particular group of Indians. However his grandfather a shaman
type that started teaching him and sets him up with a new teacher through the grapevine each move... so he has lots and lots of training in the basics, power
expansion meditation, and the like but can't actually Do anything useful to speak of (barring seeing spirits and minor things that aren't that
complicated.) Only this gives him a large amount of unfocused energy in ever increasing amounts.

This is pretty much my original motivation for making him partially Native-American - it was not just for the
sake of extra Win. I haven't decided on any specific background yet - its something that I'm going to need to research for a bit, but I'm leaning
towards Cherokee as theirs is one of the most prolific tribes to this day.

His Grandfather is going to be referred to quite a bit as Our Hero spent his early summers with the Shaman after his Mother passed away. Definitely like the
idea about setting up mentors through the grape vine - I hadn't thought about that and it's the perfect excuse for having a broad range of knowledge
without a particular mastery. Once he starts studying with Rei and Youko, though...

So we have an engineering mind set with a load of unfocused power behind it. The engineering mind set involves taking things apart and seeing how the
work on a basic level. Also, a need to understand stuff at that level. The more defined detail the better. Which means item maker... in his case he mostly
makes things that consume lots of power but do little to nothing. That will fulfill his needs as an engineering mind for understand of small details and
micromanagement. He figures he can do something more useful later after college. This also means he has lots of notes sitting around and won't radiate
'eat me I'm yummy' vibes constantly. Also having him were nifty Indian (feathers, not dots) themed stuff (bracers, an amulet, and/or belt) under
his shirts will let him have a touch of background linkage without him obsessively pointing it out every ten lines.

Yeah, can you say, "Technomage"? Wink

As for the bits and pieces... He'll have a piece or two of simple, understated jewelry (a pendant he wears becomes his gift to Youko to seal his half of
his contract with her). Most of it is going to be in the form of curios he keeps as part of an altar of sorts in his room. This way, it is nifty but
out-of-sight most of the time.

So he heads off to Japan, 'They got all kinds of spiritual stuff to study and not only in far off monasteries with no electricity' is his
reason for wanting to go rather than 'anime good' thing going on. Which means he has something to talk with Rei about and keep them meeting each
other for the months it takes for her to become intrested without making it a sudden thing.Then comes in the Lum thing and with him being an engineering mind
set so that he has a valid reason to go all rules lawyer on her. That will also avoid him start channeling the foreknowledge of SI goodness vibe. Also, the
do good things tendancy of his with place nicely into the model that gets her to stake claim on him... I mean her dad has issues with understanding she wants
a humaniod husband.

Well, I always thought that Japan would be an awesome place to visit ever since I read Edward Clavelle's
Shogun. Though in my character's case, that would work as well (interesting culture PLUS awesome spiritualist stuff). I hadn't thought about
that connection with Rei either and I now feel kinda stupid for not realizing it myself.

Not really an SI, so the whole thing between him and Lum isn't going to be like that at all - and he is most definitely going rules-lawyer on Lum for the
rubber science.

Oh? So not a political arrangement to save grace?

MYTHRIL wants Our Hero and his paramours to work for them, for obvious reasons. The question of why Rei would be wanted is completely and utterly
unexplained here. To the point of not making any sense. As stated this seems rather a case of 'screaming "Look over there" followed by running
away' level hand waving. Rei isn't a Whispered. They can't have a bonfire on ship, sacred or not, for her preistess tallents. Oddly you have
stated nothing to confirm or deny any actual Sailor Senshiness involved. Considering you have a magic princess of Neptune, who lives there no less, who is
going to visit Lum... I can't see not using it.

MYTHRIL wants something they're calling a Field Technologist. When they find a strange new piece of
overtech, he's going to be the guy that susses it out. They want Rei and Lum because they have displayed the ability to kick epic ass. Because,
don't'cha know it, it gets pretty damn hard to hide all that collateral damage those girls in the Fukus and their enemies cause.

MYTHRIL is not only looking at Our Hero as a valuable asset - they're also looking at him as a way to get at Rei and the other Senshi, whoever they may be.
They're looking at this as a potential weapon and they do not want it falling into the hands of someone like, oh say, Gauron. *Shudders*

Sorry I haven't mentioned any senshiness. I've been thinking of setting this at an advanced point in their story - sometime before Stars takes place
(but I'm not going there since I don't know the source material).

Rei is the Senshi for Mars. I believe Mikuru was Neptune. (Wonder how Uranus
and Neptune are gonna react to the idea of all these other girls coming after this guy. Setsuna would simply say that
Our Hero is fated as such. Wink

Quote: Which means you have to decide which group of enimies are going to be currently facing the Senshi. If its the Dead Moon Circus its going to mean Lum is going
to report the giant invisible circus tent that is hogging airspace. Lum is literally a legal alien to Earth. She actually has a valid visa and renews it at
one point. If its the first season I'm guessing the one other surviving planet in the solar system is going to be full of not happy when they learn Beryl
is back. Though your lead male does fit the targets of the Death Busters... Pure heart (focused on the task of getting a complex multipart degree and all) so
I can see that being the type chasing him into the shrine. (Taking off his power wasting stuff would provide the burst of spirit power at that time for the
kitsune to note without making him a complete demon magnet.)
I like the Death Busters angle - it's pretty much what I was thinking of at the time. Little unskilled human with loads of spirit energy,
highly driven, highly motivated, pure of heart... ripe for the picking.

Quote: Not knowing that series off the top of my head (I can vaguely think of 4 with that general theme going on) I can't be really specific there. But I can
tell you to remember to decide if Youko is an alien like Lum or an actual demon. Lum kinda has most 'demons' end up as alien tourists of old and the
like.
Inukami? Okay, this should simplify what Youko is... Imagine what the Kiyubi no Kitsune would be like if he wasn't raging all the time and
instead merely had fits of pique. Imagine if he also had a daughter, a daughter he named Youko and doted upon very much. Youko loves her father very much,
but can see what sort of danger he poses, so despite her love for her father she helped the Inukami seal him away. Of course, he eventually got out... Big
surprise when they all saw that he actually seemed very modern and metropolitan. This will be included, but to make sure he doesn't go leveling entire
countries just because he doesn't like the way they part their hair, Youko threatens him with sealing - this time getting help from Our Hero who seems to
possess substantial spirit energy that he isn't really going to miss anytime soon. (Not like he can't replenish it over time anyhow.)

Quote: As for why Rei is on the sub, lets just say that Rei can't see invisible battlemechs and they can see her transform. Rei refuses to explain why she is
there and Teletha won't be clear on the reason. It appeals to MITHRIL to have someone that is useful against the super natural.
Yep, pretty much what I was thinking earlier.

Quote: Melon is the one I'm real dubious on... largely because its going to take a lot of effort to use such a different character to give her the same
personallity and upbringing... and make it make sense. Go to far from the base character and you might as well use a different soda. I'd suggest making
her caffinated soda (needs caffine to keep up with the course load he is going with.).

The real weirdness comes in when you actually concider what Melon is racially. She is one of those spirits of a random object kamis. The kind found in random
rocks and twigs as well as mountains and rivers. Only her kind has been heavily modified. As a can of soda is totally disposable the spirits of them should
be so weak that they can't even manifest outside the can and are only a carbonation bubble or two high... only they have been modified so that only one
kami can manifest for the entire type of soda... on a global level. This makes them capable of tossing of attacks that can obliterate steal beams and make
craters a dozen or four feet wide. They also power up through an act of canabalism. This is from a regional soda... try to imagine what it would be like if
this happened with Pepsi or Coke. Think MG with DBZ powers and an extreme racial hate of each other (though it could be a hostile rivalry). Which is what
people are going to think Melon and her kind are. This is going to make the spiritally aware harem members freak a bit. Depending on how they see her is
going to mix things up a lot. I mean you pretty much have to make the Epically, flamingly gay guy into a duel whispered between making the Melon like race
and being really, really flamingly gay to add it to the series. And someone will think of the Kami of Pepsi and Coke and Mountian Dew and Dr. Pepper and the
like. I can see Gauron gleefully demanding people 'Kneel before Tab'.
Melon is kind of the one that doesn't quite fit in, I'll agree, and making her caffinated isn't too far out. And I simply love the
idea of making her into a Kami that SCIENCE! has improved upon. (Yes, Our Hero will be doing the SCIENCE! thing now and then. Muah-ha-ha-ha-ha!) The racial
thing will still be there - thing is that in Akikan it was limited to Aluminum vs. Steel - that's not quite as bad, I think.

As for what role she'd fulfill? Simple, really. She's a Scrapper. Lum's the Tank. Rei, the Mage. Teletha is the Engineer. And Youko is the
Blaster. Note that I do not use any one particular convention here, but the titles speak for themselves.

Quote: I also guessing that Rei and Kanami go to the same school.Just remember that any harem member has to bring at least some of their collection of idiots with
them and you already opened up the universe on him. Can't make things to easy on him. Though him not being anywhere near as durable as as most harem
masters. I'd suggest having him learn shielding spells after the youma chase mess. Lets him use that power and walls are something engineers unstand how
to make.For a suggestion as a logical extension of the harem to torment him I'd go with Golden Darkness from To-LOVE-ru only need to have the doctor work
at one of the schools. I can see one of Lum's stalker wanna-be-husbands hiring her. Then totally screw things up and thinking Sosuke is your male lead...
causing Sosuke fighting her (misery loves company). I mean he is the only listed male that could end up as his male friend... the one that points out he has
formed on of those 'stereotypical cliques' from those harem animes. His class mates brought up the topic and he noticed the similarities so he asked
the lead about it later. Cue freak out by the lead.
I love the idea of Rei and Kanami as class mates - Kanami is just going to wig out when her life starts getting even stranger than before. And I
do fully intend to open up each universe, fully and completely, not only on Our Poor Pitiful Hero, but everyone else in general. I'm an evil bastard,
aren't I? And getting poor Sosuke involved like that is a stroke of pure genius.

Which reminds me, since I'm removing Teletha from the picture for him, I might as well gift him with an item or two in return. I'm thinking Minako
(aka Sailor Venus) and Yell (Sports Drink Akikan with the 'Isotonic Sword'). Kanami can have Budoko (I'm a sadistic bastard, aren't I?). That
said, the only characters I'm not really carrying over are the others from Akikan, simply because I feel there's no more damage they can do here.
That, and their roles would only get trampled under everything else that's going on. I might include them as background characters, but that's all
they'd be at the most.

Anyhow... *Checks out To-LOVE-Ru at Wikipedia* Hrm... We already have the Ninja/Assasin angle covered. In all this mess we forgot about running into Nanoha,
and by extension, Miyuki, who becomes absolutely smitten. In addition, Nanoha becomes a roving island of calm as everyone else in the harem sees her and has a
KAWAI! attack - except of course when there's baddies for Little Miss Bikini Atol to unleash a most rightous smack down upon. Our Hero is going to be
studying Rising Heart as much as Nanoha will allow him. So, anyhow, I'll have to look at To-LOVE-Ru and see if it would really fit in.

Sosuke and Our Hero as buddies. That is going to be awesome.

"Do you know anything about something called a Harem Comedy?"

"It's a popular trope in anime, manga, and games where one poor sorry example of a male has two or three, usually more, females that want him for one
reason or another."

"I see. So it is very much like the situation you and I are in."

"(O_oWink Sosuke, please excuse me for a moment."

"... Rei, why is he doing that?"

"I saw this once in one of his movies. It was called True Genius and I think the language he's using is Latin. If he's reinacting that
scene then he'll be done in a moment. By the way, what were you two talking about?"

I'm tempted, just for kicks, to crossover with Ranma now and then, because one wrecking crew is bound to run into another - no further romantic
entanglements involved, plenty as it is. The pure mayhem, however, may simply be too much and possibly be jumping the shark. What do you think?

Quote:I'm tempted, just for kicks, to crossover with Ranma now and then, because one wrecking crew is bound to run into another - no further romantic entanglements involved, plenty as it is. The pure mayhem, however, may simply be too much and possibly be jumping the shark. What do you think?

immagine a bar scene with Ranma, Souske and the hero complaining about their lives. keep it low key and it should be ok.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

That'd be fun, too. I bet with a bit of wrangling I can throw in Ikuto from Nagasarete Airontou.

I can explain that one away by having MYTHRIL stumble upon the place, and upon finding that it is inaccessable by surface ships or aircraft, they setup up a new submarine base there. (There has got to be a safe passage underwater.) Of course, the locals are absolutely thrilled with all the men that are around now, but poor Ikuto still has a sizable harem after him.

Quote: Necratoid wrote:

Oddly you have stated nothing to confirm or deny any actual Sailor Senshiness involved. Considering you have a magic princess of Neptune, who lives there
no less, who is going to visit Lum... I can't see not using it.

Which means you have to decide which group of enimies are going to be currently facing the Senshi. If its the Dead Moon Circus its going to mean Lum is
going to report the giant invisible circus tent that is hogging airspace. Lum is literally a legal alien to Earth. She actually has a valid visa and renews
it at one point. If its the first season I'm guessing the one other surviving planet in the solar system is going to be full of not happy when they learn
Beryl is back. Though your lead male does fit the targets of the Death Busters... Pure heart (focused on the task of getting a complex multipart degree and
all) so I can see that being the type chasing him into the shrine. (Taking off his power wasting stuff would provide the burst of spirit power at that time
for the kitsune to note without making him a complete demon magnet.)

On the subject of Princess Oyuki and Haruka, many years ago I tried to write a Sailor Moon/UY crossover of my own. Never went anywhere (big surprise), but if
you see anything you like in this setup snippet, blackaeronaut, feel free to swipe it... Smile

Ten thousand years ago, there existed on Earth and the Moon the shining civilization known as the Silver Millennium.
Its elite defenders drew mystic power from the uninhabited worlds of the system to become the invincible Sailor Senshi; the Senshi representing the inner
planets kept peace among the Kingdoms of Terra and Luna, while the four Senshi of the outer worlds stood guard against threats from outside.

All this we know.

But what were those outside threats...?

The Silver Millennium was not the only candle in the darkness of space. Light-years away, an even greater culture arose
on a world called Elle.

As the Silver Millennium was discovering space travel, settling Luna and establishing the great crystal castles orbiting the other worlds, the Ellsians were
just finishing the process of rebuilding their entire star system into a Dyson sphere. A "sphere" in the shape of a vast, perfect rose, the flower
they admired above all else.

Having nearly endless living space within the Great Rose, the Ellsians could have
stopped there. But they were an insatiably curious people in those days, so explorer ships equipped with experimental stardrives were sent out to look for new
worlds and new life.

The first aliens they encountered were the Oni of Urusei, a primitive but highly intelligent race possessed of many
strange powers. The Oni took well to contact with Elle, trading magics for science and putting their own odd twists
on the technology of the Great Rose.

Next on the list was Tengu, a world whose inhabitants were already familiar with interspecies cooperation; it being home
to two interdependent sophont races, the avian Karasu and humanoid Konoha. They too meshed well with the Ellsians and Oni; not long after contact, the four
races officially formed the first interstellar government: the Far Stars Alliance. Elle remained the dominant member of the Alliance, but it was clear that
the others would soon become equal partners.

Explorers from all three worlds now combed the stars, contacting yet more aliens: the spritelike folk of Coronis, the
shapeshifting cats of Mau, and the shy, skittish people of Chuu.

The next alien contact proved troublesome. The proud warriors of Fukunokami, who claimed to be gods fortunate enough to
have incarnated in the mortal ream, took the Oni crew of the first ship to meet them to be legendary demons, and attacked. The Oni-Fukunokami War was quickly
halted by the other Alliance races, but the two worlds nursed a quiet hatred of one another.

It was some decades later that the ships of the Alliance discovered Sol System and the worlds of the Silver Millennium.
The kingdoms of Earth and Luna, wary at first, soon entered into trade pacts with the Alliance; though they never formally joined, the Silver Millennium and
the Far Stars Alliance developed very close ties. The Mauans in particular became close to the Moon Kingdom, sending two of their wisest sages to become
advisors to the throne.

It was a ship of Alliance scientists who unearthed Sol System's best-kept secret: the planet Neptune was not a gas
giant, as the Silver Millennium had thought, but a vast illusion concealing an inhabited world!

The Yuki-onna of Neptune had long ago concealed their world, mistrusting the intentions of their insystem neighbors;
diplomatic parties from Earth, Luna and the Alliance worlds calmed their fears, and the ice-folk came out of their shell. One major diplomatic problem had to
be resolved: the Silver Millennium had been drawing on the magics of Neptune to empower one of the Sailor Senshi, not knowing that there were inhabitants who
might object. This was solved when the Queen of the Moon Kingdom offered to empower one of their own royal line, creating a second Sailor Neptune.

Shortly afterwards, as part of a new treaty between the Alliance and the Millennium, Queen Serenity used the power of
her Silver Crystal to do the same for all the Alliance worlds, endowing their chosen representatives with the ability to tap into their worlds' mystic
power and become Senshi. Both governments came to regret this somewhat, as the Far Stars' Warriors proved a most unruly lot; they became known (though
never to their faces) as "those obnoxious Sailor Senshi."

As the years passed, the two interstellar powers grew closer. A marriage was arranged between the princess of Urusei and
the second child of Queen Serenity, but before it could take place events took a dark turn.

This too is well known: how Beryl, sorceress-queen of a small Terran nation, was consumed by her desire for Endymion,
Prince of the Golden Kingdom of Earth, and struck a bargain with the demoness Metaria to gain him; how the forces of the Dark Kingdom conquered Earth,
corrupted the four greatest warriors of the Golden Kingdom, and launched an all-out assault on the Moon to sieze both Endymion and the Silver Crystal; and how
the Silver Millennium fell in fire and darkness, and Beryl's forces were banished to another plane.

But there is more to the tale.

Beryl knew that the Far Stars Alliance would send forces to aid the Moon Kingdom; planning far in advance, she sought
out criminals, powermongers, and revolutionaries on every Alliance world and forged them into a dark army. Using Metaria's power to twist their soldiers
into demonic youma, the newly-formed Dark Star Marauders began a campaign of terrorism and conquest whose true purpose was simply to distract the Alliance
while Beryl took control of the Silver Millennium.

In the end, Beryl's ambition brought down not merely the Silver Millennium but all of interstellar civilization.
The Marauder War destroyed the Alliance, crippling starflight capability and throwing most worlds back into the dark ages; only Elle maintained a technological
civilization, and even they took millennia to rebuild. The Marauders were defeated in a suicide strike by the last combined fleets of the Alliance, led by
Sailors Neptune and Uranus alongside the Far Stars Senshi; a tattered remnant survived, fleeing to a distant world and placing themselves in suspended animation, waiting for Beryl's signal to inform them that the Millennium had fallen and the power of the Silver Crystal
was on their side.

They would wait for a very long time.

In the millennia that followed, stories of the Far Stars Alliance and the Silver Millennium faded into legend. Legend
became myth, and even myth was long forgotten by the time the Dark Kingdom finally broke free...only to be destroyed
once and for all by the reincarnated Sailor Senshi.

But not before Beryl had sent out a signal, urgently requesting reinforcements...

The worlds of the Alliance have only redeveloped star travel within the last few centuries, and most were completely
ignorant of one another until recently. Urusei, now known as Oniboshi, has become the most cosmopolitan, powerful world in known space; sentients of a hundred
different species trade, work, and live alongside the Oni. Fukunokami is a close second, still nursing a grudge whose
causes were long ago forgotten; the two worlds have subsumed their agression into the mock-combat of Setsubun. The Yuki-onna made contact with Oniboshi long
ago, but retained a lingering distrust of Terrans and kept them out of interstellar affairs for some time. Tengu only recently regained interstellar travel;
most of the ruling Konoha have been wiped out by a terrible plague, and the remainder are now combing the galaxy in a
desperate search for compatible breeding stock.

Earth, isolated for many years, was rudely introduced to interstellar society a year ago when the Oni, deciding that
humans were too warlike for their own good, put on a show of "invasion" to get them working together rather than against one another. The rather
ridiculous, typically Oni Tag Race plot backfired slightly when the human champion actually won, but things seem to
have worked out well all around (though certain people in a particularly infamous neighborhood in Nerima would no doubt insist otherwise).

And then there is Elle.

The rebuilt Rose Empire has lost much of its ancient curiosity, keeping to the shadows and concealing its power. Only
in the last year has the Great Rose revealed itself to the rest of the galaxy, as its mad princess sought to add a certain Earthling to her collection of
frozen paramours; the other worlds are still wondering what the vastly powerful and highly eccentric Ellsians may choose to do next, noting with apprehension
their casual defeat of a large detatchment of the Oniboshi Space Navy.

Much else has happened in the last year. The forces of the Shadow Galactica, led by the insane Sailor Warrior Galaxia,
smashed their way through a dozen worlds before meeting defeat at the hands of the Warriors of Earth; many of Galaxia's conquests are still in a state of
chaos. A power vacuum is waiting to be filled...

...and Beryl's signal has just been answered.

As you can probably guess, Lum and friends would have turned out to be the reincarnated Far Stars Senshi; on top of that, Ataru is the reincarnation of
Princess Serenity's younger brother, and adopts the identity of "Tuxedo H" (throwing razor-sharp hentai DVDs or something). The Dark Star
Marauders (led by the infamous oni Shutendoji) would be handicapped by the fact that they'd rescued Jadeite from the ruins of the Dark Kingdom, not
realizing that Beryl's death had debrainwashed him. Their overall plan was to sieze control of various mystic/holy sites on Earth and the other worlds to
complete the "Fearful Symmetry," resurrecting and empowering Metaria (and maybe Beryl, but Metaria's the important part).

--Sam

"If that's art, then art is dirty and weird!"

I've watched some of Uresei Yatsura, but certainly not all of it, so I got some studying up to do. I'd better check out Rightstuff. Kinda reluctant to
buy that much UY since it got old after the first couple of seasons, but needs must since hardly anyone writes good databases dedicated to a single series
anymore.

You can read the whole manga online here,
probably faster than watching the anime. Although there are enough significant differences that you'd want to at least skim the anime; in particular,
Ataru's four nameless "frienemies" from the early manga pretty much vanish later on in it, but become well-developed characters as Megane and his
goonsquad in the anime.

--Sam

"Darling no BAKA!"

Eh, not terribly concerned with the minor characters. With all the other stuff I'm throwing into the pot, there should be minor characters a-plenty.

Thanks for the link, though. I may be able to peruse that in my spare time. The only problem is my ship's dial-up slow internet connection when we're
out to sea. Not that I'm ungrateful - I know very well that internet on Naval vessels is a new thing and they're working on improving the connection
speeds.

*gnzerk* You young whippersnappers are spoilt. When I was on Westpac we were lucky to get Sattelite TV! the only computer games we had were those we bought
before we shipped out too!
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Well, the same still applies to computer games now. And didn't I just get through saying that we're lucky to have internet at all when we're
underway? ;p

Quote: Anyhow... *Checks out To-LOVE-Ru at Wikipedia* Hrm... We already have the Ninja/Assasin angle covered. In all this mess we forgot about running into Nanoha,
and by extension, Miyuki, who becomes absolutely smitten. In addition, Nanoha becomes a roving island of calm as everyone else in the harem sees her and has
a KAWAI! attack - except of course when there's baddies for Little Miss Bikini Atol to unleash a most rightous smack down upon. Our Hero is going to be
studying Rising Heart as much as Nanoha will allow him. So, anyhow, I'll have to look at To-LOVE-Ru and see if it would really fit in.
The reason I picked Golden Darkness (Yami) is in part that she doesn't actually require anyone, except a compitant alien doctor... which can
just replace the role of Nurse/priestess Sakura from Lum. When she isn't needed you can just have her doing her hobby... reading everything she can get
at. Intigrating her into the plot is as easy as having one of Lum's would be suitorshire her and gives her the main character's name and a picture of
Sosuke (Male lead is in the background of the picture and Lum and Kaname are in the foreground with Sosuke someone circled the wrong guy)... then have the
Wanna-be give a false history on the Male lead and make it scarily close to Sosuke pre-MITHRAL. Then one fight scene and some confused yelling and Yami beats
up the suitor (wants the Invader Fleets as his own and Lum is the gateway to them)... then she declares that Sosuke is her target and she refuses to screw up
her perfect record... however giving her false info is major no-no... so she'll techincally be unavaiable for contract and must conplete the one she took
on Sosuke (even if it was under the wrong name and not really the intended target). So she stays on Earth on as a unoffical retirement... she is also easy to
have where you want her (as long as there are books enough to keep her busy.)

This makes her good as a character than can be improtant in a chapter or not or as a filler character for the plot. Also, having her occasionall attack Sosuke
and tell him not to forget he is her target is a good way to get out of tense situations or when the plot needs a few minutes of time eaten up. Also the idea
of Yami ending up with Yell as a minion is gold. See Yami has an issue with things getting ecchi... as far as I can tell its implied she has her nanotech
shape shifting abilities because the R&D group of mobsters that modified her, thought the idea of a shapeshifting, Lolli assassin was so incredibly hot...
and kept making comments on that front or got grabby... so another freak out moment of Awesome can be thrown in there when she bonds Yell. The idea of her
tracking down the nutball that booby tracks random drinks in vending machines and discovering that guy is behind it (totally negating idea the creator was just
trying to set random girls up with random can girl)... again amusing brain breakage.

True you could just have Sosuke drink Yell...but he is too paranoid to drink from random machines that way and even if he gets her he'll just treat her
like a soilder under his command. Having Yell take the Target thing as gospil and randomly try to assassinate him (which should repeatedly result in some
random daimon getting offed in the process) and him thanking her for the assistance (Yell needs a recharge and he is always gone by the time by the time she
returns). This would beef up the magical girl thing other people see Yell off them. That and you could have Sosuke use a grenade laucher (he knows of the
attacks and comes prepared for such things) in one of these fights. Prehaps on the one that attempts to take Minako's heart crystal... she yoinks it and
runs off with it on reflex, if I remember correctly... Having a later one target Yell, she is rather dedicated and focused, etc..., and him off that one also
meaning she it scrambled enough to partially bond with him... so she stops with the assassination attempts at follows him around. He never actually gets
around to noticing the assassination attempts as such.

Onemanga also has To-LOVE-ru on it... and most of the stuff with with Yami can be done by shifting Lum into Lala's role. Mr. Invadors' lack of
comprehension is mention because of the eligibal bachlors he sents to a meet the potentional bride party (no one tells Lum that is what the party is for) and
the severely limited number of humanoids involved.

Never got around to reading Nanoha, with is one that site also I think, so someone else will have to handle that one unless I bother to read it.

Just noticed this one...
Quote:Our Hero is going to be studying Rising Heart as much as Nanoha will allow him.
The correct name is "Raising Heart", unless Yuuno still has it, in which case it's "Raging Heart". Both spellings are used on the Japanese soundtrack CD track listing.

"Rising Heart" is a fansubber's error.
--
Rob Kelk

Necratoid: Oooooohhh! I see now! You wanted me to pair her off with Sosuke! Okay, that is definitely doable. (^_^) And the stuff with Yell is pure win. My
hat's off to you, man.

Rob: I see... Argh, that's gonna bug the hell out of me. Rising Heart (and hell, even Raging Heart) rolls off the tongue more easily than Raising Heart. At
least, with me that tends to tweak some cognitive switch in an odd way.

My guess is that whoever was doing the names (from what I recall, the naming conventions for the IDs are all English, even in the Japanese audio tracks) wanted
Rising, but because of Japanese phonetic confusion, made it Raising instead. Why? Because the English long-I vowel sounds the same as the Japanese ai-sound -
certainly not the first time this has happen, and I know because I see the signage on an almost daily basis.

Fansubber's error it may be, but I bet if you brought it to the folks that originally penned the Japanese script, they'll agree that it was actually
their goof.

I have never before seen "Rising," or for that matter seen anyone arguing for its correctness.

No matter what the subtitles may claim, or the English voice actress try for, Nanoha's seiyuu says "Raging" throughout, and I will defend that
interpretation to someone else's death. Smile

--Sam

"I don't speak your crazy moon language!"