Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mahoranma discussion thread

Ranma is clearly making an /effort/ to level up at this point, with Spirit Energy as something entirely unaccounted for by most Negima combatants. It'll be
interesting to see what she comes up with, and where Tatsuki goes from here.

And yeah, Ranma is still seriously nucking futz.

Hands up if you think she really /would/ have killed Orihime just to get Tatsuki going....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Probably more of a case of been stopped mid-beam, but yeah.

Anyway I left this as a review, feel free to comment:

Quote: I can answer the question of why Sayo is not a Hollow. It works like this. That chain coming out of your spirit form is the manifestation of your
connection to your body and hense your self image. The hole in you, which I seem to recall is not on you if your still alive when out of your body, is the
gap in yourself having no physical body. It is literally a gap in your self image. After your body dies your connection to it wavers and the chain of your
self and memories fades away... thus the cain loses links. This is why it can take years or seconds to convert from ghost to Hollow. It takes a while for
ghosts to angst their self into oblivion and become hollow inside. After that they go utterly mad and need some to fill up the emptiness inside them... thus
a ghost is now a Hollow.

Sayo is Sayo in her mind and Sayo is a ghost. A ghost without those stupid, clumsy legs that annoy her so. Add in at least the administration can see
her and respect her as Sayo, the student... who just happens to be a ghost and she manages to get over the lack of physical body and thus stays full of Sayo.
I mean she gets her own seat and the teacher calls her at role call every day... and with Negi even shows consern she doesn't appear to be there. In
otherwords, dead or not she is a person.

This is why Ichigo's sword is only cuttable when he believes it so. This is why he became a shingami and not a super hero when he changed in the
first episode. That speach of Rukia's convinced him things worked that way. When his powers awakened she was convince that he didn't borrow half
her powers... he sucked her dry. Her powers went piffle as she was convinced Ichigo was keeping them. So she never gets them back.

Spiritual powers work largely on self delusion... powered by spirit power. The reason I think Ishada doesn't lose his powers for ever using that
superpower boost thing is because he convinces himself it temporary. Ego literally pimp slaps agreed upon logic out of the way.

For Sayo this means that if she can convince herself she can do stuff she can... once she builds up enough spirit power. This is why most shingami
suck... they are convinced that they can't do stuff. Thus belief becomes reality. Personality is a superpower, which explains why the 11 have 4 people
of notable powers and not just 2. Its also why they won't tell you how to get Bankai until your a vice captian... that would leave a loony out there
convinced he can have bankai if he/she only knew the method. Release that super secret method to the shingami public at large and in a year most of the
crazies in the 11th will be using their likely insanly destructive bankais in the daily spars.

Of course, you have to convince yourself of this at the deepest levels of your self. Only half believing it won't do much beside giving you half a
power. This is why their is a shingami accademy... to drive self imposed restrictions into shingami.

If I take the nonconspiracy view of the memory formatt thing that sends gohst to the afterlife its the memory formatt literally makes them forget that
they had anything to angst about in the first place. No angst and spending all their time figuring out who they are keeps them from becoming Hollows.

The reason Ichigo can be hollow and shingami is that he is deeply convinced that he is part hollow... but as he had things to do he largely ignores that.
He KNOWS he is kind of, but not really, both. He also is and knows he is alive. Sandal Hat never really tried that approach before... so ignorance is
actually a super power here... or at least not taking classes in restictions.

Which means that Ranma could run into a major issue of being nerfed by the fact she has actually read something on the subject. If they don't let her
read the notes and tip her off to the eat something method of regaining spirit power... Sayo could be trained into power simply by using wacky and illogical
enough methods to pull it off. Simply explain it comes from the notes they won't let her read.

If you do feel like annoying Ranma... remember, for example, that if Sayo convinces herself she is a ghost and the equivalent of a magical girl
transformation pendant... possessing someone may turn them into a kido power house... but make them look silly/girly at the same time.

It... really contradicts several things from Bleach.

Firstly, the Chain of Fate is what literally connects your soul to your body. Without it you are dead. Human souls outside their bodies still have a Chain of
Fate.

Also, your ideas about how powers work is directly contradicted by some stuff that is revealed later. Especially with Chad's powers.

--------------

Epsilon

I'm not getting what I contradicted with the Chain of Fate there. Its like a fuse that causes you to 'detonate' into a Hollow. when it break you
are no longer connected to your body so it dies, likely of shock, making you a standard wandering mopey ghost, unless you are Ichigo of course. If it gets
severed and your body survives and your spirit gets eaten you get a vegetable body. The CoF reminds me of the reason your sopposed to carry a silver chain
while astrally projecting... so you can find your way back. In Bleach terms, the silver chain is an extention cord for the soul.

Sayo has accepted that her ghost body IS her real body hense no chain is available, because she is inside her body therefore you can't see the CoF
connecting her to it anymore than on a normal human. Shingami and randoms in Soul Society see their spirit bodies as their real one... Sayo just bypassed
normal procedure. This means Shingami R&D will be after her if they figure that out. With Ichigo, it is probably a case of him seeing both his physical
and spirit bodies as his real body... which is why he can't just leave the physical one, at will. The only reason the glove works is he knows
that it works, thus it does.

If something still doesn't make sense or contradicts something specific explain in usable detail.

For the second part... I need a reference to the chapter or a wiki that explains it or an explination of what is wrong with what I wrote. Granted it could
just be yet another case Bleach's writer(s) desiding it works differently now... like how the 30 second rule for hollow Ichigo seems to have gone away
without comment or explanation. Maybe its a matter of Ichigo forgetting the rule himself and not acknowledging more time has passed... but as I said, Bleach
retcons how things work all the time.

Wheee. Vaizard!Ranma. Yeah. This is gonna be messy. And the author pretty much admits that he's halfway going for crack. Looks like Ranma will indeed be
missing the Mahora Festival, too... although, hmm, we're still in Negi's first semester, aren't we? The festival's a long way off...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Ichigo's inner Hollow is going to be so jealous... I mean Ranma got Kagami a cool, evil sword.. one that eats souls no less... its even a legendary sword.
Why doesn't he get one?

Ishida is going to develope am eye twitch, I mean once he hears Ichigo did the same impossible thing and Ranma... Which means there is two impossible things
going on that raid with him. That means its not an anomaly... its a precedent.

Quote:Which means there is two impossible things going on that raid with him.
Four more and we can have breakfast!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Quote: Which means there is two impossible things going on that raid with him.
Four more and we can have breakfast!

Orihime's powers have rountinely been commented to be impossible, once people realised what she is doing. So we only need three more.

----------------

Epsilon

Ishida would himself later regain his Quincy powers after doing something that was supposed to burn them out permanently. He makes 4.

And we still don't know what the author's plans for Tatsuki are... Smile

ETA: And then there's Sayo-chan... except that we already know she won't be going, but she still makes six. Smile Lunch is on Bob.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Ahhh. Chapter Ten.

Hands up, everyone who thinks This Will Not End Well For Any Concerned?

Quote:"Dress sense aside..." Urahara interjected. "Ichigo has a point. You have a zanpakuto, yes, from that ill-fated-yet-incredibly-fortunate training exercise I heard about, but I've not seen anything else special about you of yet. Odds are, you'll die. Still want to go?"

"I can take care of myself, Shopkeeper-san."

"Oh? Well, I suppose I'll just have to take your word for- think fast!"

He'd finished the sentence in a rush, launching a demon-art fireball at almost the same breath. Reacting instantly to the assault, Ranma automatically created an orb of ki and launched it, impacting with the fireball and detonating them both before it crossed even half the distance to her. Urahara smiled and shrugged.

"See, at the same time that answers a lot of my questions, and proves your own point. Try not to die while invading the afterlife, 'kay?"

Yea, Urahara's a jerk. But he has fun doing it.

Shundo: Uses ki, rather than Shunpo's reiki. Which lessens the likelyhood that it'll get noticed.

Interesting that Ranma notes Gin's power level (apparently enough to WTFPWN her and Ichigo simultaneously, if they were stupid enough to take him on at this point), but never noticed that Urahara's is on the same level.

Quote:For his part, Komamura had taken in the details of the girl, young, friendly but snappish, funny clothes and decorations, and the zanpakuto and wrapped something that he presumed was another weapon of some kind, carrying a dolly in one arm, and drew the only obvious conclusion. She was an academy student, probably one of the ones that hadn't been selected as astounding during training and pre-selected for a specific division, and was about to be assigned about to be assigned one, but was in a hurry and rushing around because she thought she was going to be late. He stated this conclusion aloud.

"Yes!" Ranma immediately agreed, siezing greedily upon the unknowingly proferred cover story. "You gotta be a mind reader, Captain Big Guy, Sir, because that's exactly the situation. See, I might have gone out walking and taken a couple wrong turns, and I hate to admit it but it's entirely possible that I'm completely and totally lost and frantic right now, and would you please set me back on track because I'd be ever so grateful?"

Komamura chuckled again, once more drawing a parallel with a certain officer, and happily pointed the way for the lost little shinigami-to-be.

"Such a nice young lady." He said after she gratefully thanked him and left. "I wonder what division she'll end up in."

"C'mon, captain. You know they pretty much draw numbers out of a hat for anyone who's not particularly given towards any specific field."

"True, true." Komamura frowned behind his steel mask. "Oh. I do hope the poor girl doesn't end up in eleventh or twelfth. Those divisions are so... violent, and unethical, respectively. It would be a terrible shame to see such innocence blighted."

There was a moment of strange awkwardness between the two, as though the Captain had said something terribly strange, and neither of them could work out why.

IHNJ, IJLCR "Such a nice young lady". Wink

... wait. Ranma's in WHICH division, now?
I wonder if she'll get a certain assignment with a certain Gosunkugi-look-alike?
Hmmmm. Wink
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Ah, yesss. Scare living the daylights out of your patients to make them better. OTOH, what better way to kill shinigami than learning how to heal them. Healers
do make the best killers. Ask Doctor Lecter.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote: but never noticed that Urahara's is on the same level.
You do realize your talking about the guy who literally founded the R&D department? His oldest looking minion is a kido master ex-vice(?)
captain who could easily pull off level 90+ kido a century ago? He also literally created the gigas.

I'm thinking that if Ranma is actually given access to manuels or people who teach her kido she will be rather happy to binge train... now the real issue
is once people note the extra weapon and the bodyguard golems thing... they are going to start wonder who funded that stuff... which means they will think she
has power and influence. Which will attract suck ups and suitors.

Chapter 11 is up.

FourthDiv!Ranma is scary cool. I like this.

The initial meeting with Kenpachi is cool, too. I love Ranma's critique of the bells. Smile

But... Kenpachi. Oh good gods. No. Mayuri-san, may I please borrow a dose of that Lethe extract?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

You know, I've just realized... it's not Ranma who's scary nuts, it's the author.
-- Bob
---------

You know, I've just realized... it's not Ranma who's scary nuts, it's the author.

I believe I already posited this upthread.

------------------

Epsilon

Ah. I missed or misrecalled that. My apologies.
-- Bob
---------

Ah. I missed or misrecalled that. My apologies.
Well, I didn't say it in so many words. I just suggested the writer is doing this for the lulz and looking for the most crack/insane things he
can think up.

Which basically he confirmed in his author's postscript this chapter.

-------------------

Epsilon

Personally, I thought it was funny when Ranma had that epiphany about that being how she looked to other people. Combined with the she-Zakari stalker thing,
it will probably end up working as shock therapy at some level. If nothing else it should give Ranma and Ichigo something to bond over while hiding from him.
More importantly, can Aizen use his own sword's abilities on himself to make him forget he ever saw that?