Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...Did somebody lose a plot bunny?
...Did somebody lose a plot bunny?
I was watching a Serial Experiments Lain AMV, and this had come with one of the new Terminator movies still fresh in my mind.

It's pretty well established that when you try to change the past, all you really do is just create butterfly effects and alternate realities.

What if in one alternate reality, a Japanese software firm lawfully gained access to the Terminator's programming? Their goal? To create a new
infrastructure for global telecommunications and IT technologies. This advanced form of the Internet would be faster by several orders of magnitude, capable
of bandwidth that had only been dreamed of before. In addition, the infrastucture itself would be intelligent, virtually self-aware, even, as it
self-monitored and self-repaired.

The new global network, called The Wired, is a success and it sweeps the globe as people everywhere go online.

Later, a truly brilliant-yet-mad scientist, using recent advances in neural-interface, begins to make experiments to see if The Wired is capable of carrying
human consciousness. The experiment is somewhat successful, but results in the brain-deaths of all the subjects; orphan children illegitimately acquired under
a false adoption agency. A whistle-blower called the police on the operation and heads rolled. However, that did not keep the information gleaned from the
experiments from being put to use.

A secret society closely monitors the doings of an American company named Cyberdyne. They are especially mindful of anything related to Skynet and they do not
like what they see. Their only hope lies in their own project. Will Lain have the ability to stop Skynet in its tracks? More importantly, will she have the
humanity in her to wish to do so?

Whoa. Nice. I'd love to see someone flesh this out.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Yeah, someone else is definitely going to have to tackle this bad boy. While the idea just leaped out at me in the middle of the night, it's quickly
fizzled out. However, I'm pretty sure that I can lend some creative support (i.e.: extra bunnies and ideas) to help with the fleshing out process.