Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[draft] DSKSWDYHMS? - Chapter 3
[draft] DSKSWDYHMS? - Chapter 3
As promised, Chapter 3! Just as last time, I already know there's probably a bunch of spelling and grammar errors - I'm after commentary on the storyitself.

Have it at, y'all! (^_^)

Dear Sweet Kami-sama, Why Do You Hate Me So?
By Benjamin Rhodes
Book 1 - May You Live In Interesting Times
Chapter 3 - It's Not the One Bullet with Your Name on it You Need to Worry About...

Zeke stretched out, sighing as muscles that hadn't moved in a while protested the movement, and looked at his graph book. After a few days of tinkeringaround with ideas, he finally had the basic structure for the Wind Barrier. Now he just had to start experimenting with wind charms and talismans to figureout how to gain the best effect. It was one of several projects that he had in the works, and it would hopefully give him some viable protection in case asituation got too hairy.

Across the room, Rei turned the page in book she was reading with great interest. This was not an ordinary book. It was Zeke's Book of Shadows, a journalof all things metaphysical that Zeke learned and put to practice.

When Rei had heard about it, she had been expecting a ratty looking of hardbound journal. What she got instead was a professional looking project portfolioaccompanied by a spiral note book that was just starting to fill up with Zeke's scrawling and sketches. The portfolio was the results of Zeke'scumalitive experience and the notebook was the more recent happenings. Zeke would recompile the portfolio book every six months, adding in material from thenotebook he was using at the time. Said notebook would then be put in storage and the portfolio became the reference book he used, as the material had beencleaned up by Zeke and made presentable.

By now, that portfolio was just begining to approach tome-like dimensions. It's contents had been arranged in a logical manner, divided by subjects suchas meditation, spirit walking, divination, lei lines and focal points, spirits and other entities, and Raven.

Rei had never seen its like and flipped through the pages slowly, fascinated by the things she saw and wondering if she should incorporate some of Zeke'stechniques into her own practices.

Thinking of the strange gaijin that had come crashing into her life, Rei turned to look at him and watched in mild fascination as he puzzled over the roughdesigns for whatever device he was working on. It was strange to think that the fuuins that she took for granted could be turned into something far differentand far more potent. Zeke had studied all manner of charms, spells, wards, protections, and anything else Rei could think of. He then took what he learned,then applied his amazing technical engineering skill to it, molding simple charms into effective tools.

She was ambivilant about it.

Part of her was mortally embarassed at having inspired such a radical perversion of her knowledge of Shinto. Yet, as she watched Zeke begin to discover hisown Mastery of whatever magical power he had, a strange sense of pride swelled up in her heart - she had been the catalyst to this new revolution, this new setof techniques that may allow a new society surpass the greatness of the Moon Kingdom That Was.

Where Zeke was concerned, it was always like this for the Miko. While part of her lauded him and craved any of his attention, another part wished to tear himdown and put up barriers.

She watched him fuss over another notebook - this one he had been using for notes on Shinto charms and such. Zeke seemed to be trying to decide on something. Curiousity got the better of Rei and she went to him to see if she could help.

"Is everything okay?" asked Rei as Zeke flipped through the pages of the notebook.

"Heki heki," Zeke replied casually without even looking up. "I have several ideas. I'm just trying to find the best solution amongthem."

"Heeeeeeh?" said Rei, rearing back. Zeke smiled slightly. For some reason he loved hearing that sound that Japanese people made. "Are youserious?"

"Of course," said Zeke, his smile growing slightly. "It's part of what being an engineer is about. It is not simply enough to accomplishthe goal. You must do so in the most simple, elegant, and efficient manner possible. Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but whenthere is nothing left to take away."

"You engineers are so weird."

At this, Zeke did look up at Rei, grinning. He didn't wonder why he felt attracted to her. In some respects, Rei was an ideal Japanese woman juststarting to come into her prime: as beautiful as a princess, quick-witted like a kitsune, and well educated. He just loved the way she stared him with thosedark, elegant eyes of hers with her face framed by her long, luxuriant black hair.

"Yes, I am weird," he stated proudly. "Of course, you wouldn't have me any other way because then I'd just be another boring eggheadlike your friend, Ami-chan. Not that she isn't cute, either." Zeke's smile was now what Rei had taken to calling his Kitsune Smile and hepunctuated his remark by waggling his eyebrows at her.

"I told you before to stop doing that!" she cried out.

"And for that reason I'll keep on doing it." And with that Zeke's hand darted forward and tweaked her nose. Rei yelped, then snarled andlunged after him. Zeke somehow managed to roll away and come up on his feet. "Come here you bastard!"

"Hey, I know my father!" Zeke cried out, tossing the remark over his shoulder gleefully as he cheesed it around the corner with Rei in hot pursuit.

"Demon worshiping fiend!"

"Oi! Tengu's just a wannabe!"

Rei's Grandfather watched from his chair. He was still convalescing from his heart attack, but he was fit to remain outside of the hospital as long as hetook it easy and got plenty of rest. He watched his granddaughter chase the wily American around the shrine with a smile on his face. He knew exactly what wasgoing on, whether either of the two knew it or not. He only hoped that the realization came sooner than later - that girl needed to get herself settled downand the American fellow, even if he hadn't been there to pull him away from the railroad tracks, was more than good enough for his granddaughter. Now ifonly the girl's father would show up now and then and behave as a father should!

Oh, what's this now? he thought as he saw Zeke come to a stop and turn to face down Rei. Rei stopped as well, her elegant hair a mess and her robesdisheveled - what a sight! The old priest hadn't seen anything like that since he courted his wife after the war! Zeke then goaded Rei by tweaking her noseagain. Enraged, the miko swung at him only to have the blow neatly - gently even! - paried with his open hands. Rei swung wildly several more times and Zekeparried some and let the ones that would hurt the least through - the Grandfather knew those would still leave bruises.

Finally, Rei had the last straw and tackled him to the ground and Zeke unleashed his secret weapon, for few Japanese girls were not ticklish! Rei was noexception as Zeke's fingers easilly found her ribs. However, Rei discovered that zeke was ticklish as well, and soon enough the two were a giggling mess asthey tickled each other into exhaustion.

The old man just chuckled softly and wondered when the wedding would be and how soon great-grandchildren would come afterward. He hoped it would be soonenough. He was curious to see what kind of children these two made and he wasn't going to be around forever.

We both collapsed to the ground, exhausted and gasping for breath. I barely knew what to make of whathad just happened. Some part of me was revolted by the sickening display, but what had it been a display of? Childishness? No, it was something more thanjust that.

It had been affection. Simple, and perhaps a bit childish, but affection all the same. And it was all the moresurprising for me in that I had actually liked it.

As I laid there in the sweet smelling grass, I felt two parts of me warring with each other - one part longing forthe simple closeness that Zeke seemed to offer, and the other part declaring it all an unsightly display and demanding that I discontinue my relationship withZeke.

"Hino-san?" said Zeke, not moving from where he lay. Even after knowing him for nearly a week he stillcalled me by my last name. I suppose that I only have myself to blame, since I never really gave him permission to use my given name.

"Yes, Zeke?"

"Would you like to go out for coffee some time?"

It was strange. What he had asked me then didn't really provoke any response in me, save for a vague sense ofconfusion. There was no sense of panic or frustration. Just ambivalence as my two sides were once more conflicted.

I had an epiphany then. What I felt was not simply confusion or ambivalence. There was pain as well, deep andhollow in my heart. Was I honestly this conflicted? Was Zeke really right about my spirit being in turmoil?

"Zeke... I don't know if I can," I finally said.

There was a rustling as he sat up on his side and he looked into my eyes with that deep and penetrating gaze ofhis.

"Do you want to talk?" he asked.

I blinked in surprise. "About what?"

He half-shrugged. "About whatever is troubling you."

I was stunned. Never before had any man wanted to know about my troubles. Not my father. Not any other boy thathad tried to ask me out. Not even Kaidou, for all his kindness towards me, had ever asked of my troubles. And now, here was a gaijin who both accepted andrefuted our ways, offering to open himself up to me like that.

"But... why?" I asked, astonished at the offer.

He sighed and look down. "Because. I like you, Rei. And where I come from, people who like each other confidein each other." He then looked at me once more. His eyes held an expression of deep sadness. "When my mother died, I didn't really understand. All I wanted was for her to come back and tell me that everything was okay. Fortunately, I had a very good friend who stayed with me when I felt so sad andlonely. She taught me what it meant to have someone to talk to. Now I want to do the same for you. I want to be the person you can talk to when you'resad and lonely. So, do you want to talk about it?"

I looked at him, not sure what to say or think.

"Well, I guess it's not something easy for you," said Zeke. "I'll go make some tea." And just like that, he was up and gone, leaving me there to think about what had just happened.

Zeke was strange like that. He had a habit of saying something that makes a person think, and then leaving them withthose thoughts. There was a shuffling sound and I found my Grandfather peering down at me.

"I know what you think of me, my Granddaughter. I admit, it is deserved at times. But I would like you to knowthat my... interests aside, I have always cared for you, if for no other reason than that you remind me so much of your mother and your grandmother. Trustthat boy, Rei-chan. He is a good person, just like his Grandfather, and he will be good for you."

A flare of indignation rose up in me at that. "Do you expect me to be his wife?"

He did not flinch or waver. Instead, he only smiled and said, "That would be nice, really. I think he wouldmake a fine husband for you." I stared at him in shock. He then went on, "His kind are the sort that treat women with the utmost respect. Ihonestly think he would make you happy. However, I really cannot set such expectations upon you. It may have been considered proper a long time ago, andwhile some still practice arranged marriages, that is not the way of the modern age. Rei-chan, I want you to be happy. If that means you never take ahusband, then that is well with me. But at the very least, I do expect you to be a good friend to Ezekiel-kun. Is that fine with you?"

This day was simply full of surprises. First Zeke with all the antics that was simply Zeke, despite what hadhappened in the past. Then Grandfather came to me with this...

Slowly, I felt a smile blossoming on my face. "Hai, Ji-san."

"Good then. I'll go and leave the two of you to your own devices. No need for an old man like me to meddleany further." Grandfather then shuffled off somewhere to rest. I sat up and watched him go. It was then that I realized that he was not long for thisworld. For certain, he had one more decade in him before his health started to decline, maybe more. But as I saw him tiredly making his way back to his placeof rest, his mortality suddenly struck me in the face.

He probably knew it as well and he simply went about what remained of his life, smiling that smile of his. To him,his dying didn't really matter. In fact, not even the Shrine really mattered to him anymore - it was simply an occupation. What mattered to him was meand whether or not I was happy.

Is this what love is? People that care about your happiness and well-being so unconditionally? If that was true,then did that mean that Zeke loved me? The answer, of course, was yes. Only his wasn't the deeply romantic sort of love that frightened me. It was theplatonic love of a close friend and confidant. But I knew that it could become more than that.

I got to my feet and began to compose myself, brushing off loose blades of grass and bits of dry leaves and moss,then straightened out my robes. Once I felt I was presentable again, I went to the outbuilding where Zeke would be.

I found him waiting with a tea set and a kettle of steaming water. He smiled and gestured for me to have a seat, andso I did. With deliberate care, he brewed the tea. It was not the traditional green tea - heaven forbid that Zeke be absolutely traditional. Instead, it wasa blend of several varieties of mint that he brought to the Shrine whenever he came. He claimed that it soothed him and eased his meditation. Smelling thearomatic tea as it brewed, I suspected he was right.

Normally, Zeke was a bit of a klutz. It honestly amazed me that the same boy that had put me in a painful anddangerous pin was clumsy; having random trips so frequently that he knew how to recover from stumbling, or at least take the fall in a way that got him theleast damage. I once saw him stumble on the steps to the Shrine and it was a deft shift in his weight that kept him from taking a terrible spill down thestone steps.

But here and now, he was able to push that nature of his aside through a sort of dedicated focus. This was not a teaceremony, however, Zeke was able to convey a sense of ceremony through well practiced motions. The brewing was brief and Zeke removed the leaves - anotherdeparture from tradition, as I found out later that leaving the leaves in would make the tea bitter. Going even further, Zeke sweetened the brew with a touchof wildflower honey.

He served me first, then himself. Only once he had served his and taken his first sip did I take mine. The cooltouch of the mint blend was refreshing, despite the heat of the liquid, and the touch of honey allowed it to slide past my gullet with pleasant ease.

"Oishi," I found myself saying.

Zeke smiled. "I'm glad you like it. The main ingredient is from a mint plant that grew in a shady corneroutside my grandfather's house. Even though that corner was always shaded, the plant thrived, producing big, hearty leaves that always brewed a sweet,soothing flavor. My Mother was fond of using it to sooth my stomach aches when I was young and we always kept a cutting of the original plant with us, evenafter she died."

"I see," I said, this time smiling. I looked at him again and he had the look of someone who was waiting,politely and patiently. I sighed softly and said, "I think I am ready to talk now."

Zeke nodded. "Tell me what troubles you, Hino-san."

That again, I thought to myself. If I was about to bear myself to him, then the least I could do was to was to freehim of that bit of formality.

"Ezekiel-kun, You can call me Rei from now on."

Zeke smiled gently at me. "Hai. Arigatou, Rei."

I smiled back, then dredged up memories of my past. It wasn't a painless experience for me. I told him of mydim recolections of my Mother and how she passed away due to a wasting disease. Sensing the hurt, Zeke came closer and took my hands in his.

Some girls in Japan would take it as a breach of personal space. Others would fawn over how romantic it was. Isimply took it for what it was; a gesture of comfort. The harder side of me cried out against the contact with him. For once, I squashed that part of me witha fierce vengence. I wanted this comfort. It could be considered a selfish act, but I didn't care. I could tell that it was freely given by Zeke.

I went on to tell him how my Father, a politician in the fullest sense, grew more and more distant, focusing on hiscareer and nothing else. Eventually, he had no time for me and I was left with my Grandfather here at the Shrine.

I told him of how my father would come on my birthdays - the only day he'd even pay any attention to me - andtake me to lunch. As I got older and began to turn into a woman, he would always gift me with a white dress and Casablanca Lilies. Though the lilies were myfavorite, the gift had no real feeling behind them. The only meaning behind it all was to present the false front of a caring father whose political careertook precedence for the good of Japan - a noble sacrifice for both Father and Daughter; a sickening farce that I had to suffer through each year.

The only thing that I looked forward to was seeing Kaidou, my Father's assistant. He would actually payattention to me and talk to me.

Kaidou was eighteen, just graduated from High School and studying politics. Of course, that didn't matter to methen. I was twlelve, caught up in the hormonal rush in becoming a woman, and Kaidou being one of the few men that seemed to actually care about me, I hadlatched onto him as my first crush.

Of course, it wasn't to be. Later, Kaidou became engaged to the daughter of another politician, all to furtherhis own political career. Foolishly, I demanded that he marry me instead, reasoning that if he wanted to gain political power then I was just as good achoice. Instead, Kaidou kissed me goodbye. It was that kiss that sealed it for me, for there was no passion in that kiss.

Now in retrospect I see just how silly I had been and I even pitied whoever the girl was that he was supposed tomarry. But that didn't mean that those memories hurt any less for that knowledge.

As I finished recounting my tale to Zeke, he gently placed a tissue in my hands. It was only then that I noticed thetears streaming down my face.

"This is embarrassing," I murmured as dried my eyes, sniffing away the excess moisture that was creepingdown from my sinuses.

"It's only natural," said Zeke. "Memories like that are painful, whether your actions werefoolish or not. That sort of thing hurts no matter what."

I laughed, somewhat bitterly, at that kernel of truth. Zeke understood pain. It was what made it so easy to talk tohim about this.

The tea in my cup was cold. I sipped at it anyways. If anything, it was all the sweeter for the cold, and all themore refreshing. It was Zeke's simple magic at work once more.

"Arigatou, Zee-kun," I said, adopting the nickname the others used for him. "It is strange. It hurt to bring all that out, butI feel much better now."

Zeke smiled gently at me. "To quote Pink Floyd, translated of course, 'Shared joy is increased, shared painis lessened.'"

I gave a small bark of laughter. "Inspiration from rock and roll, Zeke? Somehow that seems very likeyou."

Zeke shrugged and grinned ruefully. "I have a weakness for the classics. My Mother and Father both loved thatband, though they didn't play it often while driving."

"Oh? Why is that?"

"Pink Floyd has a tendency to inspire driving at unsafe speeds. Sometimes without you even noticingit."

I paused to look at him. He wore a strange expression, as though he wanted to say that what he had said was strange,but true nonetheless.

"You are so weird sometimes," I said to him, for once without any malice behind the words.

Zeke simple smiled and shrugged. "Shikatanai." It cannot be helped. Truer words could not be found, and I somehow didn't care. For once, Iwas comfortable with Zeke. In fact, I was as comfortable with him as I was with the other Senshi. I then remembered what my Grandfather had saidearlier.

I think he would make a fine husband for you. His kind are the sort that treat women with the utmost respect. Ihonestly think he would make you happy.

Ezekiel Darkwood? My husband?

Not likely. But Zee-kun the good friend was very much possible.

Lum Invader was bored.

Under other crcumstances, this could be considered a bad thing, given Lum's past. However, she was on the flagship at the head of her Father'sinvasion fleet, so she had to show restraint. Her Father, Mr. Invader, was not a man to be triffled with. Besides, she loved the Oni dearly and thus hadgreat respect for him. So she would not cause trouble. Instead, she kept herself occupied by studying their next target.

Earth.

Third planet of the Sol System, located within the Sagitarius Arm of the Milkyway Galaxy. Or at least that's what the locals said. At least they had someidea of stellarography.

It was an odd world, one which had become more and more strange with the passage of time since her kind had held dominion there. There was never this muchconflict when the Oni were in charge, but without them around to fill in the power vacuum, the Humans had been waging all kinds of wars.

Of course, Earth had always been a hotbed for conflict. Even long before the Oni had reigned over the planet, it had supposedly been apart of one of the GreatOld Empires of the fabled Golden Age. Of course, that all ended when Queen Berryl crashed the party and Queen Serenity sacrificed herself to seal thatparticular bit of bad news away. But the damage had been done and it was only in recent centuries that the Galaxy was starting to regain some of its formerglory.

The biggest success story had been the Empire of Jyurai, but then they had the backing of a Goddess. That had been the only thing that saved them when therenegade Kagato had attempted to level their world in a fit of pique.

Her people were another story. At the End of the Golden Age, her people were still primitives. Now they were a power unto themselves, but not in the same wayas the Jruraians. The Oni could be best described as 'Business Men'. At worst, they were considered mobsters. Lum didn't care either way as longas it kept the stupid suitors at bay. Fortunately for her, Mr. Invader set very high standards for his future son-in-law, and many didn't even get theirfoot in the door because of it.

"Lum, my daughter?" rumbled her Father from the other side of the door.

"Yes, Daddy?"

"We'll be arriving at Earth soon, sweetheart. Do you wish to come and witness the slection process?"

Briefly, Lum weighed the choices. Stay here and continue reading up on the now-insignificant world they would be attempting to lay claim to, or see if shecould influence who she would be competing against.

It was a no-brainer decision.

"Of course, Daddy. I'll be down in a minute."

"And the random lottery selection is... Ataru Moroboshi!"

I looked at the selection that had appeared on the computer screen and was not impressed.

"But Daddy, he's too boring. Can we please pick another?"

"Sweetheart, you know that this is the way we've always done things."

"And every time we haven't had any real fun with these games. We always get the lamest contestants!"

My Father stopped to think about it for a moment, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "I suppose it has been a while since we've had anything reallyexciting. Very well then! Lum, you shall set the parameters for selection."

I all but lunged for the computer console and began entering the search parameters at a feverish pace.

"He needs to be intelligent and cunning, but not perfect. He also needs to be unique, standing alone amongst everyone else. And it wouldn't hurt ifhe wasn't hard to look at. Okay, that should do it!"

I stood back and watch the computer expectantly as it calculated, but I soon began to worry. Our computers are among the finest in the galaxy! Why was ittaking so long to find a contestant? We really started to worry, though, when it began to whir, then progressively whine, moan, and finally, shriek.

We all took cover, expecting the machine to blow itself to bits, when it suddenly stopped. It pinged once we peaked over our covers and a contestant profileappeared on the display.

Father recovered his wits quickly and checked to see what the results were.

He then grinned triumphantly and then announced, "And the Earth's chosen contestant is..."

"Ezekiel!"

My head shot up at that and turned to the source. To my surprise, a mountain of a man stood at the entrance of theShrine, and he was dressed in the uniform of a US Naval Officer.

"Dad?" said Zeke in surprise. "I thought you were out with the Fleet."

This is his Father? I thought to myself. The fearsome Matheiu Darkwood that I had heard so much about? Zeke looksnothing at all like the man. But then, he did say something about taking after his Mother. They were speaking in English, but mine was good enough to followalong - I was glad that Zeke had been tutoring the others and myself.

"Something has come up, son," said the huge man, his hazel eyes filled with worry. "I need you tocome back to the base with me immediately."

Zeke was confused and it showed in his eyes. "Dad, what's going on?"

"There's no time to explain just yet, son. Now come along."

Zeke looked at me with an expression on his face that clearly said, shikata nai - it cannot be help and I was suddenly filledwith the strangest compulsion; I did the last thing I would have expected myself to do.

"Excuse me, but may I come with you?"

The Elder Darkwood fixed me with a piercing gaze. I could tell that it was the same one that Zeke would use on mewhen he was seriously considering something, but somehow the Elder's lacked the same sort of impact. It did, however, make me seriously reconsider myrequest.

"You're Hino Rei, yes?" I nodded. Matheiu then sighed and said, "I wish I could, but I have myinstructions. An Officer of my rank can only bend the rules so much. Just keep your eyes on the news channels. All of Japan is going to know by the end ofthe day, anyways." It stung, but I saw that he would not bend - it was as though the man exuded the very essence of stone. Small wonder where Zeke gothis steel-influence. I bowed briefly to him and Zeke and I went to pack away the materials for the fuuins we'd been working on, but Zeke's fatherstopped us. "We have no time, we must go now. The JR Line has a special train waiting for us at the station. We must hurry."

NANI!? What on Earth could be so important that JR would set aside a train for them?

After that, all I could do was simply watch, feeling an odd sense of powerlessness settle over me as they left, Zekecasting one last look and a wave before he disapeared from view. I at least took comfort in the fact that he seemed to feel as powerless as I did.

Feeling the need for some comfort, I went to make some tea. At first, I reached for the green tea I usually use, butthen noticed that Zeke had left his mint blend behind. Knowing that he wouldn't mind at all, I reached for that instead.

I followed my Father as he set a brisk pace going down the steps and I nearly had to scramble to catch up. A blacksedan, the sort used by high-ranking members of the Diet was waiting at the bottom of the hill. There were motorcycle-mounted police as well. Two in frontand two behind.

Not even before the doors had shut did the police escorts in the front take off to clear the way. I was forced into theback of my seat by the acceleration. I looked to my Father and the expression on his face was taught - nervous even.

He noticed and said, "Wait until we are on the train. Then we'll talk." The rest of the ride passed intense silence, punctuated by small squeals from the tires as we took the harder corners.
Once we got to the station, I noticed something was disturbingly different right away.

It was too quiet.

The reason was readily apparent, though. Black-suited men lurked in the shadows and wore strange armbands. Four of themformed a guard around us and guided us through the eerily silent station. Only a token number of conductors were at the platform and they bowed deeply as weentered the train.

Once we took our seats, the train began moving.

"Okay, Dad, what's going on?" I said, confusion underlying my calm tone.

Father sighed. "Zeke, my son, first of all I need you to understand this - under other circumstances this would beclassifed at such a high level that you would probably wind up getting relocated to some remote island for the rest of your life just to ensure that nothingever got out. As it is, though, this thing is going to get blown up into a media cicrus."

I swallowed hard at that. I'd heard stories about this sort of thing before. Fictional, of course, but thatwouldn't keep the US Government from dealing with such a potential leak in a manner similar to Typhoid Mary's banishment.

"I understand, sir," I said.

"Good. Earlier this morning, NASA tracked several objects entering controlled orbits around theplanet."

"Controlled orbits?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I thought so too," said Father, shaking his head. "It seems like once and for all the science fictionfans are getting their wish. The problem is that while they seem friendly, their motivations are anything but. They contacted us and told us, quite politely,that they were here to conquer our world. However, they left us with a sporting chance. They want someone to participate in a competition for our sovereignrights."

"Okay, so why all this then unless..." Right then, the neurons in my head fired off in the right sequence andI put two-and-two together. "Oh HELL no!"

"That's what I said, too. Apparently they use some sort of random lottery to pick out the competition, but thistime they decided to limit the choices to people that would give them a more interesting challenge. And so your name came up."

I just sat there in silence for a moment, just letting it sink in.

I didn't ask for this. I didn't want this. Not one bit. None of the fame, none of the recognition. Rescuingan old man from sudden death is one thing. Saving the whole damn world is not the kind of attention I want.

"Are you alright, son?" said my Father.

I looked up to him and saw open concern on his face. "Yeah, I'll be okay, Dad."

"I guess it's a little much."

"Understatement of the millinium, Dad."

Suddenly the lights on the train flickered and the motor under our feet shuddered. Right away the train began to slow toa halt and the guards looked around nervously, some putting their hands to their concealed shoulder-holsters. The leader was discreetly murmuring somethinginto his radio pickup.

The train shuddered again and sidearms were drawn.

"Earthquake?" I asked.

"I don't think so," my Father murmured slowly. "I've seen this before."

The train shuddered once more and this time there was a deafening squeal of arcing electricity as something intolerablybright, punching straight through the cieling of the train, blinded us.

Slowly, vision came back and I had to scrub at my eyes to believe what I was seeing.

Under a charred, smoking hole in the ceiling was a girl about my age with billowing hair and baby-blue eyes. I couldtell that she was a very healthy girl since she wore so little to obstruct my view - something that looked like a tiger-skin bikini and knee-high boots. Herbuild was what my Grandma Charlotte might call 'Birthing Proportions.'

Oh. And she had horns. Two, smallish horns poking through the top of her hair.

But not even the horns could distract me from her hair. It wasn't that it was a particular style, though theclassical way it styled was quite fetching. It was the color - a deep forrest green that shone with a brilliant rainbow of iridescence in the afternoonsunlight, like a compact disc or DVD held up to the light.

Wow.

"Hello!" she said cheerfully. "My name Lum. You Ezekiel?"

The guards relaxed and I blinked. She was speaking English. It was oddly accented and a bit pidgined, but it wasEnglish.

"Yes, I'm Ezekiel," I said a bit uncertainly.

"Great!" she said excitedly. "You be my opponent!"

I exchanged looks with my Dad.

Is this chick for real!?

You got me, son.

"Uhm, nice to meet you," I said. "No offense, but why would you come here right now?"

Lum shrugged and sat down in the seat accross from my father and me. "I bored. You interesting. Have completedossier!" And from what could have only been Hammer-Space, she whipped out a massively thick file folder.

"How the hell did you get that!?" said my Father, his eyes bugging out at the sight.

Lum shrugged once more. "Hacked it."

I blinked. "Damn. They're good."

My Father sighed heavily at that. "The Pentagon is not gonna be happy about that."

"Dad, to hear you talk sometimes, they're hardly happy about anything."

Dad grudged a grunt of a laugh.

Suddenly, the Engineer came out of the control cab and began screaming at Lum in barely understandable Japanese.

"Ah, son," said my Father. "You're a bit better at this than I am."

"He says we lost power because of Lum's lightshow. Thinks we blew the fuses on the transformers."

"You need electricity?" said Lum to the engineer in perfect Japanese. She then held up her arms and ancrackling arc appeared, coming down from her horns and dancing between her palms. "Where do you need it?"

As remarkable as it was to see someone generating and manipulating electricity like that, recent events had jaded me. Everyone else stared at Lum like she had just grown an extra head.

"It's not as simple as that," I said, switching back to the Japanese that I had been getter betterwith.

"Nani?" asked Lum, giving me a curious look.

"I don't know how dated your knowledge is, but these modern electrical trains won't operate off of raw powerlike that. We need the refined stuff that's been cleaned up with industrial capacitors and transformers. So we either wait for another train, whichI'm sure that the guard speaking into his radio is arranging for now, or we start walking."

"Hmph! I take it back, you're no fun at all."

"Hah! Stick around. My life has a tendency to get interesting, in the ancient Chinese sense of theword."

Another train did come, pulling right up next to us. Lum, in a fit of pique, decided not to talk to us for the rest ofthe trip.

What awaited us at the Base was more empty streets with armed guards at every corner. We were brought to one of theemptier shops in the Ship Repair Facility. At first, I wondered why they would use such a dumpy place, but when I finally saw Mr. Invader, I figured it outpretty quickly.

Mr. Invader is sprockin' huge.

I looked up and up at him as as we approached. Since no one else spoke and Mr. Invader just eyed me from where he sat, Iwent ahead and broke the ice.

"Howdy there. You folks certainly don't like to do anything by halves, do you?"

A smile split the Oni's face. "You got that right, kid! I'm Mr. Invader. I guess that my wayward littlegirl already filled you in on the rest."

Somewhere in my head, I could hear myself going Heeeeeeeehhhh?

"She did, and wow, she's you're daughter?"

"Oh yes, my pride and joy."

"Indeed, she's very lovely, though I bet she's a handful."

Mr. Invader's grin faltered as he read between the lines there. "Did she cause you trouble?"

"A bit," I admitted, "but I imagine the one most offended party would be the Japan Rail company - shefried the train we were on when she beamed in."

"You snitch!" I heard Lum cry out and I felt my hair stand on end. Without really thinking I ducked and rolled(slipping off my backpack as I did), and not a moment too soon as a crackling bolt of electricity leapt from Lum's fingers and scorched the pavement whereI had been standing. Seeing the hundred-watt glare on her face as she cast that bolt, I had to wonder if she was somehow related to Emperor Palpatine.

As I came up my hand dove into my backpack and came back out sheathed in my fire gauntlet, already in flames.

"Let's just see you try that again," I said, a savage grin on my face.

"What you do with it? No get close me."

My grin got a bit bigger as I pulled a wind-fuuin that I had meant to experiment with later and slapped it onto myforemarm with the fire-gauntlet.

"This," I said as I blew over the fuuin and grabbed ahold of the elements within me, this time both fire andwind. The result was like as if someone had built a flamthrower into my arm.

Lum yelped in surprise and jumped clear of the stream acrobatically.

The sound of a gunshot pierced our ears, leaving them ringing.

"That's enough, the both of you!" snapped my Father, handing a surprised Marine his smoking M-14. "Mr. Invader, would you kindly do something with your daughter? Zeke, you and I are going to have words later, son."

Hoo boy, I thought to myself. I am dead meat.

And then a seismic chuckle filled the air. "Kid, I like you," said Mr. Invader. "You got guts pulling amove like that on my daughter."

"You mean this doesn't happen very often?" I wondered out loud. Lum glared daggers at me.

"Hah!" scoffed Mr. Invader. "I wish! Everyone is too busy worshiping the ground she walkson!"

"Daddy!" cried out Lum, scandalized.

"It's true," he told her mildly. "Between your beauty and your position in our family, everyone witha Y-chromosome practically grovels at your feet and you, my daughter, have grown too soft and complacent! It's about time someone threw something otherthan flowers at your feet."

Lum huffed at that, but seemed to know better than arguing with her Father.

The Oni then turned back to us. "Like I said, kid, I like you. You do business and you mean business when you act. If only more of Lum's suitors were like you I'd be a much happier Oni. For that reason I'll cut you a little break. You get to set the locationof our little competition, and I'll even let you set some additional terms."

All the present Humans goggled at that, then looked at me expectantly - I knew because I could feel their gazes boringinto me like laser-scalpels.

I hate being put on the spot like this. Attention sucks.

"Uhm, okay then," I said slowly as I thought about what had just been laid on me. "Ah, what are the termsas they are now?"

"It is quite simple, actually," said Mr. Invader genially. "You are to participate in a game youEarth-people call 'tag' with my Daughter. You will have seven days in which to grab her horns. If you fail to do that within the time limit, then weshall take ownership of your planet, whether your local governments like it or not."

I frowned at that. Mr. Invader's presence here meant that there were definitely other people out there, and hisplaying by a rule book indicated that something of a galactic civilization existed.

"If you don't mind me asking, Mr. Invader," I said politely, "What allows you to come here and takeour world like this?"

The Oni smiled once more. "It's quite simple, really. Your world is unclaimed and unrepresented at this time,so it is considered available for colonization and economic development. The simple truth is that I could simply take over if I wanted to, but that's justnot polite these days. It's how our ancestors operated and we'd like to leave that image behind if possible."

"I see. That's certainly understandable." I thought about the terms, then happened to glance at Lum,still giving me a smoldering glare. I remembered how she just tried to zap me and the proverbial lightbulb popped up in my head.

"Say, what else can Lum do, besides cast electricity?"

Mr. Invader seemed puzzled at that. "I'm not sure what you mean."

"Things that are considered super-human among my kind. Can she fly? Lift objects with her mind? Breathefire?"

"Oh! I see what you mean," said the Oni with his trademark grin again. "Like any of us Oni, she can flyas well, and she's stronger than many humans, but that's the extent of her special capabilities."

"I see then. First of all, I would like to respectfully request that the competition be held in the West-Texas HillCountry."

"I don't see any problem with that. Anything else?" Lum looked puzzled by that. I guess she didn'tunderstand what kind of terrain it was that she'd be dealing with, or simply didn't get the point at all.

"Yes, please," I replied. "I would also respectfully request that a handicap against special abilitieslike flight, electrokinesis, and pyrokinesis be applied." At this Lum gave me a startled look, then turned to her father.

"Leveling the playing field, huh? You're real smart, kid. This is going to be one of the best games we'vehad in a while!"

"But Daddy! You can't!"

Mr. Invader rounded on his Daughter and I could swear that stormclouds were starting to appear.

"I can and I will. You owe a responsibility to the family and its clients. Do you understand me?"

Lum all but eeped. "Yes, Daddy."

The Oni smiled a terrible smile. "That's a good little Oni." He then turned to the rest of us andannounced, "The contest shall take place in seven days time from now. Be there or be square." And then with a sudden blast of lightning thatpierced through the ceiling of the warehouse, the two were gone. Oddly enough, a single card drifted down from the ceiling.

I caught the card offhand and snorted a laugh when I saw what was printed on it.

"What is it, son?" asked my Father.

I turned the card so he could read it. "He left us his business card!"

Finally, as if the card wasn't the right note to end things on, a clamor of press began to swarm the building.

"Who let them in here!?" I cried out in shock.

Dad sighed heavily. "We did, son." I looked at my Father in horror. "Sorry son, the news about theInvaders is already all over the planet. Besides, you owe me for the hell you put me through while I was underway."

I then remembered the angry phone call I received from somewhere in the Western Pacific. I only had one thing to say to
that, and Dad was waiting with a smug grin on his face.

"Humble pie, aye."

Later that evening, we were all gathered at my shrine... waiting.

Aliens - no, Oni, the mythical demonic creatures that we once feared in ancient times - had come to conquer us all and the only person that
seemed to stand in their way was Zeke.

And we were waiting.

Waiting to see what Zeke wanted to do.

What was so fascinating and so compelling about the gaijin that would cause us to wait on his whim like this?
We should have gone to try and drive them from our world. Our ancestors did so once. What could keep us from doing so again?

Ami contributed her logic here. The Oni had been aliens all along. What if they had simply decided to leave? What
if our world had only been a minor diversion all along? Could we have really driven them off, or was it simply fanciful thinking of a proud people?

There was a knock at the door and everyone looked at it expectantly. I did too, until I realized that it wasn't
going to open itself. Sheepishly, I got up and pulled the shoji open.

Standing there was Zeke wearing a backpack. And he looked absolutely haggard.

"Fair lady, this unworthy one dares to impose upon you to use one of your rooms tonight."

And then the smell hit me. Sweat and dirt and a hint of blood, thick and cloying.

"Dear Kami-sama! Zeke, what happened?"

"My Father got his pound of flesh for the incident at TV Asahi."

"Dare I ask?"

"Let's just say that at this time we need some space from each other. Please tell me you have a bath
here."

"The next outbuilding over. And then you will tell us everything the news did not cover."

Zeke winced at that.

"What is wrong?" I asked him.

"Sorry. Just... I do not care much for the press. At least the Paparazzi has not taken an interest in me
yet."

"Right. Just get cleaned up, you smell horrible!"

"At once, my lady," he said. "I shall be quick."

"Not too quickly," I said, glaring at him. He didn't argue that with me and was gone.

I sighed as I sat down with everyone else at the kotatsu. It was quiet for a moment. Too quiet. And then I became
all too aware of the glowing look that Minako was giving me. Looking up at her honestly did not help matters any - I could almost make out the pink hearts
fluttering around her head.

"I think you liiiiiiike hiiiiimmmmm," said Minako as though she was teasing me. Of course, we all knew she
was being serious.

"Are you kidding?" I said, trying to brush it off. "He is just a friend, same with all of
you."

"Oh, you can't fool me!" said Mina, going completely bubbly now. "I have seen how you look at him
when you think nobody else is looking - especially him!"

"Wow, is it really true!?" said Makoto excitedly, joining in with Minako in the bubble-zone. "Are you
really crushing on Zee-kun?"

"I think you two would look good together," chimed in Ami.

"What!?" I said, completely aghast. Not Ami too!

"Well, even as small as he is he has such a strong presence. When he is fully grown he will impose a very
stately figure - and you are already so very regal yourself, Rei."

"Wow, that is so dreamy!" said Usagi all the sudden, joining Makoto and Minako in bubble-land, and Ami
wasn't far off herself.

"you... You guys are all against me!"

The moment Zeke came back, everyone quieted down and stopped giving me hell. He then told us everything - about the
girl he'd be fighting against and the terms that had been set down.

"But this is a good thing!" said Ami. "If what I understand of your history is true, then you are
really playing at your strengths in this event."

"That maybe true, Ami," said Zeke, "but there's still a lot we do not know about our friends.
I'm not going to take any chances."

"Do you want our help?" asked Makoto.

I looked at Zeke as he though about that for a moment. "No, not right now. If things go badly and I lose...
well, I suspect that it may not be as bad as we're making it out to be."

"What do you mean?" asked Minako.

"Well, Mr. Invader specifically said that his people are trying to leave their bad image behind. He also
mentioned economic development. What if he's just looking for business opportunities."

"Why?" wondered Usagi curiously. "What would our planet have that others don't?" I looked
at her with a bit of wonder - it was one of those rare moments where she showed that she could be insightful.

"It's been proven that habitable worlds may be very rare," said Ami. "Earth may have a lot more
to offer than we think."

We discussed the motives of the Invaders for a few minutes more, coming to no further conclusions before we realised
that it was a school night and it was getting late. All together, Usagi, Minako, Makoto and Ami left.

After Zeke waved goodbye to them, he went back inside and sat down at the kotatsu, slumping over the
table-top.

"uuuuuuuhhhhhhh... what a day," he mumbled. I sat down by him and peered down at his face. It was no act
- Zeke was truly exhausted.

"What did your father do to you, Zeke?"

"Harsh physical training," he said from the table. "The kind that makes you beg for
mercy."

"But why? What does he do to make you do these things?"

"I do it because of my honor as a son. What I pulled at the TV station was a bit much. That aside... he felt
that I need additional fitness conditioning in preparation for the competition."

I sighed at that and decided to put my own head down on the table. He had lost his mother at a young age. He had a
father that loved him for certain, but disciplined him harshly. He was never really accepted anywhere, though one could argue that it was his own
choice.

For Zeke, things had already been difficult.

"Why you, Zeke?" I wondered out loud. "Haven't you had enough to deal with in your
life?"

For a moment he said nothing. At first I thought he had fallen asleep, until I suddenly heard him shuffling
around.

And then he was right against me with our sides touching.

He did not try to put his arms around me, nor could I feel his face anywhere close to me. He simply wanted to be
close to someone. Intimate, yet platonic.

I could deal with that. In fact, it felt very nice to accept this.

"I do not really know what Raven-sama has in mind for me. He tells me nothing of his plans. As I am swept away
by the currents of his river, I can only make small changes so I can safely pass through."

I sat up and looked down at him. "Zeke, you are starting to worry me."

"I am worried, too, Rei. I worry about what would happen if I ever fail one of Raven-sama's
challenges."

Dear sweet Kami-sama... what is going on here?

"Are you being serious?" I asked him, afraid of what the answer might be.

He then sat up, faced me, and I froze. Under his eyes were a pair of dark markings, wickedly sharp looking as they
scrolled across his cheek bones. And clenched in his fist was a tissue that had just been used to remove make-up.

"These are the marks he has placed upon me. I have not lied to you in the least, Hino-san. My name is Ezekiel
Darkwood. My father is Mathieu Darkwood and my mother did die in an accident long ago. But what I left out is that Raven-sama has set me apart for a special
reason."

I stared at him as I processed that information. He was not lying to me. I could sense it, as though a dark shadow
of something great and terrifyingly powerful hung over him. A kami-sama, a bonafied spirit of world-shattering power, had laid claim to this boy sitting in
front of me. For what reason, I do not know, but I would bet that the choice had been made even long before he was ever born.

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked. "Something like this you should keep secret, or else people
can make things even more difficult for you!"

"Would you?" he countered.

"Well... no," I had to say. "But still, why me?"

"Because..." he sighed heavily. "I told you before, Rei. I like you, but just as importantly I
respect you, too. It would be wrong of me not to warn you about this."

I looked at him, puzzled. "I do not understand."

"Anyone who is close to me becomes involved in my trials. If not directly, then indirectly. I can only guess
that any friends I have must meet Raven-sama's approval. If we are friends, Rei, you will be tested, too. It may have already begun."

I could not find words. Instead, my mind analyzed what I had been through over the last month with Ezekiel, learning
to accept him, learning the turmoil in my soul and working to soothe the seething spiritual wounds I never noticed before he showed them to me.

But it was more than just that. I realized that I was just as much of a challenge for Zeke as he was for me.
Raven-sama wanted us together. A Kami-sama wanted me to be with this boy. But what for?

The answer seemed obvious, but jumping to conclusions only got you hurt in the long run. I learned that lesson first
with Kaidou, and again with Zeke.

I will be more careful this time. But for now...

I wrapped my arms around him tightly. "I am not going to abandon a friend just because a kami-sama makes things
difficult."

I felt his arms gently, yet firmly wrap around me as well. Zeke, despite the cool autumn air, was very warm.

"Arigatou, Rei."

What is Zeke to me? I wondered as I unfolded my futon, casting a glance at the far wall of my bedroom. On the
otherside of that wall was Zeke. At first I had been worried that, being accustomed to western beds, he would balk at the futon. Instead, he smiled and told
me that it looked very comfortable.

I suppose he had a point - western beds had a lot more padding, but they weren't usually down-filled to stave off
the cold Japanese nights. We never left the heaters running after the lights went out, after all. They ran off of fuel-oil and leaving them unattended like
that was a good way to start a fire.

Zeke was a friend, that was certain.

But this Raven-sama wanted him to be with me.

Grandfather had said that he would be a good husband for me.

A good husband was also your best friend - someone you could honestly confide in.

And, kami-sama help me, I had already let Zeke look into my soul.

Unbidden, the idea of sharing a bed with someone like Zeke came into mind. The warm body of someone trustworthy,
arms around me keeping me safe and protected through the night...

Ah! Slow down! I thought to myself, trying to
flush the images out of my mind, but they were stuck there. I could not dismiss them for the simple reason that, on a primal level at least, I wanted
it.

It grated on me, really, that I would have such girlish fantasies. I know that I am still too young for that sort of
thing. I have high school and even college to worry about. Certainly, it was more acceptable for a priestess to be married, but even then I was too young for
that sort of thing. This was not the feudal ages anymore.

Still, after I had laid down in my futon and pulled the comforter up around me, I tossed and turned as I avoided that
imagery.

With an angry sigh, I gave in and once again, imagined warm arms around me.

I fell asleep soon afterward feeling very warm and safe.

I woke the next morning to the smell of miso soup.

Puzzled, I rose, put my futon away, and began to get ready for the day. Grandfather was not well enough yet to wake
up so early in the morning. Regretfully, I realized he may never be able to get back into his habits as an early riser again. With that thought in mind, I
went to the kitchen to see who had made breakfast.

To my surprise, there was Zeke, moving around the kitchen with ease, if not experience - he didn't seem to know
where everything was quite yet, but he figured it out easily enough.

Turning, he saw me and smiled. The marks under his eyes were still visible.

"Ohayo gozaimasu," he said cheerfully as he set the table.

"Ohayo," I replied. He could cook Japanese? Would he ever cease to amaze me? I walked over to the table and looked. It was
indeed a traditional Japanese breakfast.

"How?" I asked.

Zeke shrugged as he worked. "Your grandfather mentioned that you love the traditional breakfast when you were
little. Something about family time."

"I did not know you that knew how," I said as I sat down at what must have been my place.

"I looked it up on the internet once he told me and I practiced at home. It's really not hard - getting the
seasonings right in the miso soup is the toughest part."

Zeke then added the finishing touches and sat down himself.

"Itadakimasu," we said together and then we began to eat. Curious, I tried the miso soup first. The aroma was excellent and the brothe
was divine.

"Why did you do this?" I asked.

Zeke had a thoughtful look on his face. "Part of it is because I wanted to apologize for any inconveniences I
may have caused you. And I think the other part should be clear."

Other part? What was he saying?

I did not want to ask. Part of me knew, but the other part did not want to know, and the conflict resumed.

Only this time, a third part stood by watching, wondering why I allowed myself to be like this. It knew the reasons
of both sides and it felt like it had already decided on what to do, but couldn't act with the other two sides fighting each other.

Why?

And then I realized something important.

So what if he is supposed to be my husband or something? We would not be married until we were old enough. Besides,
enough time would pass for us to figure things out.

Zeke the good friend or Zeke the loving husband?

Suddenly it did not matter any more - either was a good outcome, and I know that I wanted Zeke in my life in one way
or another. Getting romantically involved with him would not change his opinion of me, even if we never did become husband and wife. He was just balanced
like that.

"Zeke, you know how you offered to take me out to coffee for a date?"

"Yes, why?"

"I think we skipped that part last night," I said with a smile. It was worth it to see the surprised look
on his face.

He then smiled and said, "Would you like to make up for it sometime?"

I smiled back. "Sure, there's this new Virtual Reality place that opened up recently. I'd like to go
see it."

His grin got a bit bigger. "It sounds like fun. Can we go tonight?"

"Sure, but will you be okay?" I wondered, worried about his father and his training schedule.

Zeke shrugged it off, though. "It should not interfere - I will be training while you are at
school."

"Why have you not enrolled yet?" I asked curiously.

"This whole thing with the Invaders kinda put it on hold," he grumped.

"Soka-soka. Sho ga nai," I said. I finished the last of my rice and got up. "Thank you very much, it was very good."

Zeke smiled. "I'm glad. Going to school now?"

"Hai," I replied as I shouldered my book bag and grabbed my umbrella. "I have to catch the train to
get there on time."

"Okay then. Have a good day, Rei."

"You too, Zeke." I left, closing the shoji behind me. I knew Zeke would be gone long before I came back,
leaving everything just as he found it.

Today felt like it was going to be a good day.

Quite good, overall - this chapter introduces a new member of the "harem" (for want of a better word) without slighting either her or the existing
lady in Zeke's life.

One jarring bit, though - the first section in which Lum makes an appearance switches from third-person to first-person midway through. It should be one or the
other all the way through.

(Oh, and unless they're Hawaiian, "lei lines" should be "ley lines". A spelling-checker won't catch that one.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Agreed, this is looking very good. Numerous spelling errors, as you anticipated, and Rob has already pointed out the only major problem in the actual writing.
But still very good. I like the development with Rei in this segment quite a bit.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Yeah, sorry about the jarring tidbits... Would have caught it before I posted it, but I was in a rush. :p

That aside... WOO-HOO! (^_^) And I've barely even begun yet!

I must admit, I had reservations on using Lum as one of the nakama/harem. You've put those concerns to rest.

To put it another way: this rocks!

A couple of thoughts (and to keep me from pointing out editing errors): this is the first time mentioning Zeke's 'chosen' status, and it rather
came out of the blue. It may be worthwhile to foreshadow a bit by having Zeke internally express his concerns (in a spoiler-free manner) before expressing
them to Rei. Also, you've implied that at least one person has left him after Zeke revealed his tattoos some time in his past (and that would fit into
habitually keeping a bit of space between people). Here's what I'm wondering: since Teletha Testarossa knew him a bit as kids, does she know about
this? A whole bunch of possibilities there.

Well, enough of that. You've done good here, and I eagerly await more.

I know it was a bit sudden, and perhaps that part in particular needs to be from the omnipotent viewpoint.

One way of looking at it is that Zeke's life is entering one of those phases where it gets more interesting than usual, so he felt compelled to reveal his
nature to Rei a little earlier than originally anticipated, warning her that the going was about to get tough. But you're right in that I need to lay on a
bit more foreshadowing in order for this to look best. *Adds to the to-do list*

The last girl did indeed not make Raven-sama's cut. Pity how things turn out that way, but it's for the best.

And I'm also thinking that Teletha knew about the markings, but didn't really grasp their significance. Being a child at the time she was simply told
that it was a birthmark. Now at her present age she suspects something more, but she's not sure what - she thinks they maybe tatoos. Wink

Maybe a cryptic comment/thought earlier in the story from Zeke about whether Rei will pass muster with his Patron?

And if Tessa suspects his marks are tattoos, she might have some serious concern over who would tattoo the face of a child... and perhaps be waiting to unleash
her anger at them...
-- Bob
---------

You know, you can use that in reverse too. Teletha could mainly remember a tattooed face, so it could take her some time to connect the dots, if Zeke
continues to conceal them.

Just a few little items...

1) Found a nice little cache of Takahashi-sensei's artworks for UY: http://www.furinkan.com/uy/gallery/index.htm
2) The search for the Right Fonts is ongoing. Volunteers for testing?

3) I've started watching Sakura Wars today... Yes, I do believe that an elderly group of women with |/|@d 5k1||5 will be waiting for our heroes at the special school the Japanese government (under the auspices of the UN) has set up for... gifted children. Wink

4) Say, Bob? Is what I have so far too far out for the same RPG rulebook you have applied to DW?

What, Fuzion? I can't really say, I'm not really a Fuzion maven. I don't actually play the game, and don't own anything other than the BGC sourcebook, so I really couldn't hazard a guess. Logan would be the best person to ask, I'd say.
On the off chance that you're asking about V&V, the answer there is, "no, nothing's too far out for V&V".
-- Bob
---------
Just the thing
Quote: But this Raven-sama wanted him to be with me.

Grandfather had said that he would be a good husband for me.

A good husband was also your best friend - someone you could honestly confide in.

And, kami-sama help me, I had already let Zeke look into my soul.

It was a destiny decided long ago

Every time I close my eyes,

Every time I look up into the sky

Days of illusion are resurrected

The closer you get to a rainbow the further it appears

Yet, I will keep walking like this

I can see my future with you

And I'm sure you can too,

Like you've always been able to

I will protect you, liked I promised

I want to be by your side in times of sadness

It isn't a coincidence that the two of us have met

It was a destiny decided long ago
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Bob: just looking for something to give things a little more structure. Sure, I can make shit up, but it's nicer to have an already established system to
go by.

ordnance11: Thanks, though now I gotta wait until I get off the ship tomorrow to see it... and even then I gotta contend with the 3rd Deck Warriors. (The third
deck of our Fleet Rec center is a huge Wi-Fi lounge and it's over-run every night by people playing MMORPGs... mostly World of Warcrack. Thus they're
called the 3rd Deck Warriors and they have a nasty habit of reducing everyone else's bandwidth to nil, which is a pain if you're trying to watch
youtube vids.)

I feel your pain.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I kind of wonder what that 'slection' process actually managed to grab the attention of, if it broke the machine in the process. Which personally, I
felt was actually the foreshadowing of 'it' status with Raven. I mean the fact the equipment started doing weird stuff like that is going to make Mr.
Invader wonder why that happened. Thus the equipment should be tested.for reasons. This could be an out for introducing future characters... not so much as
an early bludgeon, but as the techs start noticing that by removing certain names the computer selection process works will less and less inexplicably loud
problems. You don't actually need to mention names... just have the list checked when some random guy ends up in involved with Zeke or Lum or generally
gets on the Oni's intelligence radar.

I'm pretty sure that the selection process involves is the unstated male for eye candy reasons feature in this process. I mean besides the guy who will
end up killing a mountain in one-on-one combat... we have one house that literally contains multiple heirs to the Jyrian throne, which includes the avatar of
their patron diety, an ex-anti-planet class space pirate, and the 20 thousand year old legendary mad scientist that got kicked out from the leadership of the
most powerful scientific school in existence... for building an anti-universe cannon on a lark. I think they will be kind of suprised just how many random
people on this planet can take a youma.

The reason I bring this up is that one of the defining features of galactic rulers in the involved universes is that they can take a youma in a fight. This is
important. The number one thing that runs through out the SM is that the universe has all sorts of planetary population slaughtering badies moving around. A
goodly number of them are going to get slaughtered or run away in the next few years. The Doom Tree idiots and Galaxia notablely. Though personally, I think
Galaxia leaving after saying the equivalent of 'Lol I got pwnzored, I'm all good and stuff now... I go res the population of all those planets I
pwned... KthxBYE'... was her lying and running away. That is just a personal opinion of the anime end though.

Anyway, I one of the Tenchi movies they had a single mid level youma girl be basically unstopable until the main cast take her down. Conventional troops were
useless... so I imagine that once the extraterestrial intelligence agencies notice that some random guy is making and selling (with Zeke doing the magitech
enhancements) man poratable power armor that is capable of making a random elite mook capable of going otw to tow with random youma... his sales are going to
take off. That they are fully capable of using standard doorways will just be god sent icing.

Quote: Necratoid wrote:

I kind of wonder what that 'slection' process actually managed to grab the attention of, if it broke the machine in the process. Which personally, I
felt was actually the foreshadowing of 'it' status with Raven. I mean the fact the equipment started doing weird stuff like that is going to make Mr.
Invader wonder why that happened. Thus the equipment should be tested.for reasons. This could be an out for introducing future characters... not so much as
an early bludgeon, but as the techs start noticing that by removing certain names the computer selection process works will less and less inexplicably loud
problems. You don't actually need to mention names... just have the list checked when some random guy ends up in involved with Zeke or Lum or generally
gets on the Oni's intelligence radar.
Well, I didn't really plan on that, but if the Oni were to check out their computer they would see that there was nothing wrong with it. If
it had been a hack, it was something that only the divine could pull off. Wink

I'm pretty sure that the selection process involves is the unstated male for eye candy reasons feature in this process. I mean besides the guy who will
end up killing a mountain in one-on-one combat... we have one house that literally contains multiple heirs to the Jyrian throne, which includes the avatar of
their patron diety, an ex-anti-planet class space pirate, and the 20 thousand year old legendary mad scientist that got kicked out from the leadership of the
most powerful scientific school in existence... for building an anti-universe cannon on a lark. I think they will be kind of suprised just how many random
people on this planet can take a youma.
The presence of those particular people are something of an open secret among the Jyuraian Royal Family and the GP - they're pretty good about
not talking about it and so the Oni don't have that info in their computers. However, this will change at some point in time when things blow up
spectacularly. Wink

The reason I bring this up is that one of the defining features of galactic rulers in the involved universes is that they can take a youma in a fight. This
is important. The number one thing that runs through out the SM is that the universe has all sorts of planetary population slaughtering badies moving around.
A goodly number of them are going to get slaughtered or run away in the next few years. The Doom Tree idiots and Galaxia notablely. Though personally, I
think Galaxia leaving after saying the equivalent of 'Lol I got pwnzored, I'm all good and stuff now... I go res the population of all those planets
I pwned... KthxBYE'... was her lying and running away. That is just a personal opinion of the anime end though.
Though I haven't watched that particular bit, that's definitely not how it will go in my take. Case in point, remember how I mentioned
that Zeke's going to go nucking-futs at the sight of Lead Crow? Earth wasn't Raven's only pet project and he's plenty pissed about how that
particular world got shoved into the universe's dev/null folder.

Anyway, I one of the Tenchi movies they had a single mid level youma girl be basically unstopable until the main cast take her down. Conventional troops were
useless... so I imagine that once the extraterestrial intelligence agencies notice that some random guy is making and selling (with Zeke doing the magitech
enhancements) man poratable power armor that is capable of making a random elite mook capable of going otw to tow with random youma... his sales are going to
take off. That they are fully capable of using standard doorways will just be god sent icing.
Methinks it wouldn't be so simple. For one thing, I was wondering how to play-off Zeke's ability to kick ass and take names with most
Youma with only whatever's lying around, and then it occurred to me: is he not the chosen avatar of Raven? If so, then it would make sense that by simply
holding onto a weapon, Zeke unwittingly gives it anti-youma capability for the time he holds it.

As for mage-tech tools and such, they would make things much simpler, but some sort of latent mage ability would still be required, even if it's just a bit
of telepathy.

In this sense, the Lambda driver of the Arbalest is an excellent example. Not just anyone can use it, and Sousuke barely manages. (I'll argue in my fic
that it is partially because despite being Whispered, the people that made it hardly knew what they were working with, ergo why the system is so difficult to
work with.) We can even say that the system the Koubu are equipped with is a primitive form of the Lambda Driver, though it helps they had a better idea of
what they were doing.

As a side note, I think that Li Kohran could be a link to Zeke's family history as Agatha Steam had designed the steam-driven locomotion system used by the
Koubu, so it would make sense if Li knew Agatha. Zeke would be excited to learn more about his illustrious ancestor from sources other than science journals
and his Grandpa Darkwood.

Hrm... Classes the ladies (and gentleman) of the Teikoku Kagekidan Hanagumi would teach...

Ichiro Oogami - Combat Psychology (aka learning how to work with each other and better understand your enemies)

Sakura Shinguji - Enhanced Melee Weapons (aka whooping ass with your weapon of choice and some mage abilities)

Maria Tachibana - Enhanced Firearms (aka guns+magic=fun!)

Kana Kirishima - Enhanced HTH (aka how to deliver a good old fashioned smack-down with a twist)

Orihime Soletta - Specialty Weapons (aka fricken' lazerbeeemz)

Leni Milchstraße - Combat Tactics (aka how to be a sneaky bastard)

Sumire Kanzaki - Economics (aka balancing your super-team's budget and making smart financial decisions)

Iris Chateubriand - Combat Support (aka REMF for Mages)

Li Kohran - Combat Engineering (aka how much KABOOM it will take to drop that structure on top of your foe)

Wonder if I should come up with OCs to be their descendants and have them attend as well?

Well, keep in mind that, assuming that the fic is set in the 'current day'... the only character in the original Hanagumi who wouldn't be at three figures would be Iris.

Who was born in 1913. Making July 5, 2009 her 96th birthday. Leni's the next youngest - she'd be 100 even in... thirteen days from the time I post this.

Maria and Ichiro are about the same age - both born in 1903, both a hundred and six. And the rest fall in between them and Leni.

The situation's a little better that way if you assume that FMP's altiverse aspects let it take place in the 90s, fudging it 'back' at the same time things like Sailor Moon and UY get pushed 'forward', but...
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Hrm... Well, if we're gonna fudge around with things, then let's really fudge with them.

In my earlier plans, the idea was to have the Teikoku Kagekidan go into hiding at the time of WWI and WWII so as to deny both the Axis and Allies the
incredible weapon that is the Koubu. What if in order to make their disappearance complete the key members were placed into a hibernation state? It's
possible that the party responsible for hiding the site was too good at what they did, died at some point in time, leaving it to be discovered again sometime
in the sixties or seventies. (Which, IIRC, is about when the Armslave boom hits in FMP, right?)

Thoughts?

Well, first off, IIRC, part of the Sakura Taisen universe's backstory is that World War One, as we knew it, did not happen - there was a demon invasion, instead, all across the world... Which was several years in the past by the time of the first game/anime, which is, IIRC, set in 1924. An OTLish version of WW2 seems unlikely given the political situation presented and implied by the games - the various Koubu-equipped units are clearly international projects, given how widely the origin stories of the different groups' members vary, and that the chief social driving forces behind the two primary axis powers simply aren't likely to exist; Reni's presence hints pretty strongly that there's nothing remotely equivalent to the Treaty of Versailles grinding down German society and economics to give the Nazis their shot, while Japan's apparent leadership in anti-spirit technology gives them leverage into whatever formal treaty structure exists, which'd work strongly to allay the kind of 'small fish in a big pond' feeling that drove things to the point of the Pacific War.
Anyway, my point regarding the timescale wasn't actually that 'no, that can't work, they'd be too old', since clean living, good karma, and the occasional Kohran Health Drink mayhem could, I think, reasonably keep at least most of the cast going to that point, so much as that they'll have grown into very different people from the ones we knew in their canon - Sakura won't be a stumbling ingenue, she'll be a beloved great-grandmother, with photos on her walls of the latest generation's high school graduations, or something along those lines.
Given the kinds of things the Hanagumi were formed to fight, you could just as easily say that they ended up tangling with a boss-type who could slow down time, and they finished the fight to discover it had taken decades rather than minutes, if you want to have easily-recognizable versions of that crew around as mentors - but my personal inclination would be to simply pick your favorite and have the 'core cast' remember Rule One in regards to their kindly tottering silver-haired homeroom teacher.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Quote:What if in order to make their disappearance complete the key members were placed into a hibernation state? It's possible that the party responsible for hiding the site was too good at what they did, died at some point in time, leaving it to be discovered again sometime in the sixties or seventies. (Which, IIRC, is about when the Armslave boom hits in FMP, right?)
Hmmm... 1969 could be a very important year, then - Armslaves start appearing, man walks on the Moon, the http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=245]gate keepers incident takes place, the Flower Division come out of stasis... and anyone who was a young child that year would be the right age to be a schoolteacher in the early-to-mid 1990s. Ah, the stories they could tell...

(Okay, maybe you don't want to shove GateKeepers into the crossover. The setting is rather full already. )
--
Rob Kelk

I've been sorely tempted to make the school that AEGIS sponsored one from GateKeepers anyhow. But yeah, that's
kinda the point - Raven's Earth would be a bit more interesting, wouldn't it?

Quote: What if in order to make their disappearance complete the key members were placed into a hibernation state? It's possible that the party responsible for
hiding the site was too good at what they did, died at some point in time, leaving it to be discovered again sometime in the sixties or seventies.
AKA Sakura Rogers In The Late Half Of The Twentieth Century!

I was about to suggest something similar myself. Of course, it must be steam-powered suspended animation, and the hibernacula opened back up when the system
finally ran out of coal...

ETA: It seems to me that the suggestion to have a late-1960s reawakening covers all the options people would like to see -- the Hanagumi wouldn't be too
old to be useful, but they would still be grandparently -- exactly how old depends on when they went into hibernation, but it shouldn't be hard to set them
up so that the youngest of them (Iris) is physically in her late 50s or early 60s, at the time of the story.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:AKA Sakura Rogers In The Late Half Of The Twentieth Century!

(clears throat) I think you mean Sakura Rogers In The Twentieth-And-A-Half Century!

(Don't forget what sort of god Raven is...)
--
Rob Kelk

Hmmm..wasn't Steve Rodgers also released from hibernation in the same time frame?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Okay, easy splice in. Remember how I mentioned the alien vacation dimension and how making something that big like that damaged the seal on Beryl and idiots?
Well have the demons a certain theatre company fights be released on the same effect. Only from a weaker seal. Have them bug out (say to some random spot in
the rural US along a railroad route in the middle of nowhere) and then use either/and their 'I can repair large destroyed buildings by thinking at then and
because my teddy said it would be nice' six years old psychic turn them into teddy bears, including herself, and if I do it while they sleep they won't
notice time passed. Add in a meditative trance that scans to the demon entry points and you can low the tech level needed. First, this is an example
suggestion. I've only seen the first episode or two of that series... So I'm more suggesting options that specific plot point with that. Though
putting

Anyway, I think its a good idea for it to be known in high levels of government that these random breach do happen and that the walker mechs are built for
fighting demons and such, they just justify their price as war machines. The mechs are well known and useful as mobile weapons platforms. The invasions only
happen every 5-10 years at first, then speed up by mid century, enough to be an ever present worry without making them too obvious to the public. Having one
happen during late Vietnam (media is distracted) and then revealing the armslaves so people are use to them, would probably work.

Having Beryl and Co be the last ones out of the pool would help with back story... that the invasion was actually involving things above animal intelligence
was largely new. That and the Senshi managed to stop the problems before anyone could get an effective armed response ready. Except for Jedite's airport
shenanigans they didn't really operate much in open. Okay, they did sink the cruise ship... but no camera crews and insurance bonuses as hush money makes
details fuzzy.

Wouldn't hurt to have Sosuke snap out of being a perfect little angel of death because he ended up a survivor of one or two random demons getting loose and
him being one of the few to survive, let alone kill with explosives. I'd imagine the sheer amount of ZOMGWTFBBQ!!! that kind of thing would have on
someone with that programmed of a mind. Gives a heavily armed independent group a bit more reason to exist and experience with killing something like that on
foot would make him a no brainer as an operative choice.

Actually the unraveling bindings trick could tie a lot of stuff together used properly. The Lead Crow thing does bring something up though... with all these
races making contact with I can't help think that the Dead Moon Family arc with get mangled. I mean I can't imagine the DMF not having outside backing
with major firepower. At least a pirate armada. Otherwise your going to have to flatten half the known worlds. I mean the DMF would also have to have
something major wrong with them not to just move to a different planet in a different solar system. Unless they are literally crazy survivors of some
megaplague or something, their back story is ludicrous.

On a side note that Lead Crow brings up, killing things like Pharo 90, Galaxia, or those child snatchers in the candy ship is likely to score them a bounty of
some kind. Raven can't be the only one these psychos have ticked off.

Hrm... Thinking about it.

An idea of mine is to have some sort of supernatural group, say something like the Unseleigh (sp?), slip in somewhere and become a bad influence in general to
cause events to lead up to something like WWII. This can definitely be awesome as we could lend shades of Palpatine's Empire to this, and have various
rebellion factions fighting them with help from the Allies.

In order to suit the story line, Japan, Germany, and Italy can be all subverted in this manner, thus causing the Hanagumi to desire to go into deep hiding,
complete with a spiritual seal to ensure that there's no way they are ever detected. Of course, once the dust settles, no one that knew where they were
hidden is left alive and the Hanagumi become a lost legend of the modern age until someone stumbles upon them in 1968-or-9.

BTW: Understand that I only have the Sakura Taisen TV anime to go off of here, and it seems to leave a lot of the world affairs stuff by the wayside to focus
on what's going on right in the Emperor's back yard. So, since Orihime doesn't seem to make an appearance in the anime... Pity that - I was looking
forward to seeing how she'd tear it up with he laser beams.

Anyhow, what's fun about this is that I can really turn the world on it's head with this stuff, like having Hitler actually being a noble and brave
defender of humanity (though while he doesn't hate Jews, he doesn't care much for people that aren't 'self-made'). AUs are so much fun in
this way.