Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request For Assistance - DSKS Related
Request For Assistance - DSKS Related
Need some opinions regarding fonts to use for other characters. Suggestions and critique both welcome.

Thing is that I would like each character, like in Stephen Gagne's Sailor Nothing, to have their own unique
font-face - it gives each character a bit more flavor and depth to see how they prefer to write. Here's a list of what all I am considering. They all
come from the free font download site that was linked over in the DW General Chatter forum because I want the fonts to be redistributable (for obvious
reasons).

Hino Rei

Lum Invader

Teletha Testarossa

Takamachi Miyuki

Youko

Melon

Kuno Kodachi

I wouldn't use the one you have for Lum. That feels like a "titling" font. It would be hard to read for an extended perspective. Give me a moment
to see if I can find something appropriate... perhaps some of the free-ish fonts at Blambot.com...

By free-ish, I mean that they are definitely free for amateur work...

Some to whet your appetite:

Chronicles of a Hero

Mighty Zeo 2.0

Catholic School Girls

Irezumi
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

The hell!? That's not supposed to be Lum's font! It's supposed to be Imperium Serif! Adn the fraggin' site is showing the banners for the font
in question, but when you go to the page for the font, it goes to this outline font named Imperium instead. ARGH!

EDIT: Okay, just found another site that hosted the font in question and relinked it.

Funny, I thought that Rei's font was going to catch the most flack.

How about this link?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

You know what? Catholic School Girls is probably a much better fit for Lum now that you've spotted
it for me.

I'm thinking that Miyuki and Kodachi's fonts aren't elegant enough for them. However, a script font such as http://www.fonts101.com/xt_fontdetails_ ... ~font.html]Park Avenue (three guesses why I picked that one ) might not be readable for long passages of text.

There must be a "happy medium" out there somewhere...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Hrm... I stand by what I've chosen for Miyuki on the following grounds: she's Japanese and raised in a family of ninja, therefore her writing style
would be a bit more regimented and seemingly done with the sort of caligraphy kit that the Japanese use.

I will caveat that Kodachi's font does not quite convey the elegance that she possesses, but it's difficult to find a suitably elegant font that also
conveys her in-your-face intensity. Perhaps Chancery Cursive instead?

That does look somewhat better to my eyes, yes.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

...Different fonts for the characters' speech in plain text?!

My recommendation: Don't do it. Just don't. >.

Define 'Plain Text'. If you mean straight-up text with no illustrations, then that's what I'm stuck with. I'm not enough of an artist to make pretty pictures and I don't quite have an artist on board (I get a few interested nibbles now and then, but nothing much ever comes of it).  I might be able to snag some scans or fan-arts, but then I need to get permissions and everything, and then there's the simple fact that most of the imagery I'm generating through text simply doesn't exist.
Also, kinda surprised that it's taken you this long to notice what I've been up to.
Anyhow, I will seriously think about it, but I know there's got to be an elegant way of shifting POVs without sticking your character's name up there as a heading with each shift - some of them can come pretty quickly.

Oh, wait, I thought you meant individual sentences as opposed to viewpoint changes. That's nowhere near as
annoying.

Carry on. Smile

--Sam

"Egad! A gigantic well-dressed digestive enzyme! I am in a whale!"

Ah, okay. You kinda had me worried there. (^_^Wink