Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-powered high-school plotbunny, free to a good home
High-powered high-school plotbunny, free to a good home
She looked straight at the new student. "Are you an alien, time-traveler, esper, or slider?"

"Well, no," the girl stammered in reply.

"Then why are you wasting my time?" The club leader spun on her heel and stormed off.

The underclassman looked upset, but determined. "The easy way to get close didn't work. She won't let us join her club."

The gem on her pendant twinkled and replied, "I'm sorry, my master."

I can't have been the only one to notice there's a major class of weirdness absent from Haruhi's list: mages. (I don't remember her ever including "mahou tsukai" in her list...)

And if the TSAB ever heard about Haruhi, they'd send somebody to investigate. Preferably somebody the right age who can already speak the language without magical assistance. If she has a couple of similar friends who can act as backup, just in case, so much the better.

Trouble is, I have no idea where to take this (except that Nanoha and Fate would be shocked to meet somebody who actually can travel through time)... so I'm offering it to whoever wants it.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Well, keep in mind that even without revealing the whole 'magic-user' thing, Nanoha has an entirely legitimate claim to being extraordinary.

"Well, there's nothing very interesting about me, but... My family is descended from an old ninja clan, and Kyouya-niichan and Miyuki-neechan still practice the family sword school."

The dessert shop, you see, is a sideline. The real family business is ninja. The Triangle Heart OAV shows Kyouya and Miyuki in action, and the latter in particular is a full-figured Cuisinart in a pretty bow ribbon.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Strictly, I think the term which gets translated as "esper" would also cover quite a few categories of magic-user. That doesn't automatically
mean that she's intending it that way or that people in that world would interpret it that way, though...

Valles Wrote:Well, keep in mind that even without revealing the whole 'magic-user' thing, Nanoha has an entirely legitimate claim to being extraordinary.

"Well, there's nothing very interesting about me, but... My family is descended from an old ninja clan, and Kyouya-niichan and Miyuki-neechan still practice the family sword school."

The dessert shop, you see, is a sideline. The real family business is ninja. The Triangle Heart OAV shows Kyouya and Miyuki in action, and the latter in particular is a full-figured Cuisinart in a pretty bow ribbon.
I know that - heck, I pointed Blackaeronaut at a source for the Triangle Heart OAV - but compared to people with actual metahuman abilities (such as Yuki and Koizumi... and Nanoha), even Miyuki is "ordinary".
--
Rob Kelk

Your missing a key trait of her list. 1) alien (in born trait due to geographical concerns, if not species), 2) time traveler (outsider of geography, even if
some of that is temporal rather than physical), 3) esper (born into it), 4) slider (requires you to be from not only a different place of psychical and
temporal means but dimension as well).

This is important because if she runs in something that she can be the best in through training... she will be compelled to be the best at that. Like she did
in academics and sports. and any other club in school.... she actually resorted to making her own club to keep from being bored. If she ran into Ranma and Co.
she'd be forced to be better at him then better at everyone else in the series at everything she could train for. She'd have to out X, X. (bad things
happen when she ends up out Happying, Happy.)... then the minute she IS actually better than them all she gets bored and stops cold. Unless someone again
proves better at anything remotely intresting... and she'll drag her club with her.

Same happens if she runs into a trained mage, or druid, or pretty muc anything. She wants to keep being entertained. She doesn't want new sporatically
active addictions.

---

For instance, lets make Nodoka's reason for letting Genma drag Ranma around so much being she is also married to Haruhi's dad (maybe she had Genma sign
divorce papers while exhausted or drunk and never told him). While Genma is off with Ranma on the months long trip that gets him engaged with take out girl
and such... she gives birth to Haruhi (she convinced genma the trip was his idea before her pregnacy wwas notable.)... the she has no more kids till the decade
long trip starts. Genma sents update postcards and she decides Haruhi will be her kid that is the brains to his brawn. Cue ideas for bizzarre, future,
sociological experients for her job, on her kids.

Flash forward to a few years later and shortly after Ranma's curse is revealed to her, turns out that the curse so insanely out of left field that she
decides to disregard it entirely as inexplicable and basically ignorable as an act of bored gods, she decides to introduce her kids to each other. Hillarity
ensues. Then Nodoka decides that it time to see which is easier to catch up on, the martial arts skills or the academics, and subtlety convinces them to
compete in each other's fields of expertise... the SoS Brigade gets sucked in and they actually manage to catch up (even though most randoms are convinced
it shouldn't work that way at all, though its levels off after getting to mook levels of Nerima martial arists for most.) Then as they start making
progress Ranma goes off and fights Herb... which leaves Haruhi farther behind and drives her mad... Though I think you'd have to have Haruhi discover the
amount of ghosts in the area and keep getting sidetracked.

---

That example plot is the kind of thing that is in character for her on a feature of her that I've found largely ignored in fanfiction. She is hyper
competitive and won't stop until they she is the best... then promptly move on out of boredom.

Necratoid Wrote:Same happens if she runs into a trained mage, or druid, or pretty muc anything.  She wants to keep being entertained.  She doesn't want new sporatically active addictions.
As I understand it, one has to be born a mahou tsukai in the Nanohaverse. While it's true that a mage needs to be trained, no amount of training will turn a non-mage into a mage... I think.

(Which is why I didn't suggest crossing over with Magic Users' Club, where anybody with a wand can cast spells...)

Edit: Ooooooohhh, Magic Users' Club wands interpreted as Lost Logia that let non-mages use magic... That has potential, too. (After all, Takeo found the first one...)
--
Rob Kelk

You really think that will stop Haruhi from succeeding anyway? I mean it might mean the system suddenly works the way she wants it to, completely baffling
TSAB in the process, or that she does have those powers and it simpely never came up. If no one else, Yuki and esper boy would probablely test possitive and
they are getting tested first. So she could literally convince herself/reality that they all have those abilities and its her latent senses that made her pick
these people as her group.

Seriously, it doesn't actually work that way isn't going to stop Haruhi once she gets the idea in her head.

This is, after all, Haruhi we're talking about. Wink

I have this vision of her deciding to be a journalist, instead of a filmmaker, for a while... and instead of Nanoha folks coming to her school (or perhaps she
followed them back?), she somehow makes it to MidChilda (with 'help' from certain parties of her acquaintance who are curious about it themselves), and
we open with her sticking a microphone in Jail Scaglietti's face....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.