Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Fanfic Panel at ACen
No Fanfic Panel at ACen
Doc Mui sent an email a bit ago - it seems that they've decided to *not* have a fanfic panel at ACen this year.  It is most definitely on the Not Approved list on the website (while this is dated April 1, I don't think they'd make an April fool out of this sort of thing)
This will be the 1st year ACen has not had a fanfic panel.  I'm trying to recall if there are any big cons who do not have a fanfic panel - it's pretty much one of those staple things for cons.
Reasons given for denying panels is the usual - a lack of space.  I thought it interesting that at the head of the Approved list was a panel about fandom in Chicago.  (a local-interest panel at the 3rd largest con in the US?  does AX have a panel on fandom in LA?)  Meanwhile, and admitting I may have missed something, the only writing related panel I did see on the Approved list is one listed for an 18+ audience on writing lemons. Nothing for the general audience.
As I said earlier, this will be the 1st year there's not been a fanfic panel at ACen. It's definitely not gotten old - every year it fills its assigned room for its entire assigned timeslot (this includes the years at the Hyatt when it was in 200+ seat rooms and had a 2 hour timeslot).  Being a discussion panel that is driven by what the audience wants to talk about, it remains topical from year to year too. Just seems strange to me I guess.

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

You're not the only one. I find it odd myself that they would have panels for related subjects, but not the meat-and-potatoes itself. This reminds me of how the Navy is currently being run in a most disturbing way.
Now there IS a Fanfic Panel at ACen
There's been a change of heart on the part of somebody on ACen staff.  Fanfic is among a small number of panels that have been added to the schedule.  Many thanks are owed to the people who arranged this.
But... it's not all good news.  The scheduled time slot for this panel is 1PM on Friday.  I personally think somebody may be running an experiment to see how well a panel that relies on audience particpation will do if there's little-to-no audience present to participate.
If there's anyone out there who is planning on being at Anime Central on Friday, and it's possible for you to be there by lunchtime, please find the Fanfic Panel.  I'm sure your support will be greatly appreciated.

www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Jeanne Hedge Wrote:There's been a change of heart on the part of somebody on ACen staff.  Fanfic is among a small number of panels that have been added to the schedule.  Many thanks are owed to the people who arranged this.
But... it's not all good news.  The scheduled time slot for this panel is 1PM on Friday.  I personally think somebody may be running an experiment to see how well a panel that relies on audience particpation will do if there's little-to-no audience present to participate.
If there's anyone out there who is planning on being at Anime Central on Friday, and it's possible for you to be there by lunchtime, please find the Fanfic Panel.  I'm sure your support will be greatly appreciated.
CORRECTION - the scheduled time is apparently NOON on Friday, not 1pm.

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia