Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[dskswdyhms] Chapter 4 Teaser
[dskswdyhms] Chapter 4 Teaser
Chapter 4 is about two-thirds done and I've been making good progress lately.  Chapter 5 will feature the showdown we've all been waiting for.  But in the mean time, here's this little tidbit.

Rei was as good as her word.  I had a good meal, an hour-long soak in the furo, and then she promptly beat the ever-loving crap outta me with her calisthenics regime.

You ever wonder why Japanese women are usually so skinny?  Simple answer: selective breeding.  Women in Japan were anything but sheltered.  They were expected to be able to fight for themselves if it came down to it.  Marvel at the weapon known as the naginata – a two-meter pole-arm with a wicked thirty-centimeter blade.  That’s a hell of a lot of damage waiting to be dealt, there.  I think I’d rather have the naginata than the katana.

And it was made explicitly for women to defend themselves.  A man caught using a naginata was either completely out of options or cross-dressing.

A woman that wasn’t fit enough to wield her naginata was not considered to be worthwhile.  After all, she couldn’t even protect herself.  Japan was a dangerous place, what with Samurai Lords waging war on each other all the time!

Times have changed, but the genetic precedent that was set for a thousand years hasn’t.  The vast majority of Japanese women are trim looking creatures of femininity and they do not have to expend much effort to maintain that fitness, as long as they don’t overeat.

Trust me, that is pretty much a given anyways.  I saw how much Rei was eating and was vaguely disturbed, even after she repeatedly assured me that she would be fine with her small portion.

Usagi seems to overeat, but that isn’t true either.  The fact of the matter is that she’s simply stocking up for what will probably be a colossal growth spurt.  I could tell because while she’s shorter than the other girls, her shoe size is rivaled only by Makoto’s.  Mamorou wouldn’t have to lean down for too much longer.

Rei, though, is evenly proportioned.  She’s already grown as tall as she’s going to get, and I doubt she’s going to fill out much more than she has now.  The only way that would change would be if she got pregnant.

…Do not go there.  That is for much, much later.

But anyhow… I can’t argue with the results.  Rei is drop-dead gorgeous.  Even in a simple work-out ghi that does as much as possible to hide her physique.

Focus, Zeke, or else…  Too late!

The wood of an unstrung long-bow cracked across my head.

Baka!” snapped Rei.  “Don’t look at me!  Focus on what you’re doing!”

Hai, sempai!” I grunted out and corrected my stance.  Calisthenics was not the only thing on the regimen, it had turned out.

Rei studied Aikido.

Very fitting of Shinto – it was all about harmony.  A harmony achieved with your opponent that you are in control of.  It was a concept that I was very familiar with.

Rei may have been able to outmaneuver me the day I used a nikiyou hold against her.  She meant every word when she said that if she ever got out of that hold that she’d make me suffer.  I simply got the drop on her there.  And now, here, under her Grandfather’s watchful eyes, she would mold me into a proper grappler.

It was really no coincidence that I had started to learn Aikido myself.  My Grandpa Bear was a close friend of Rei’s Grandfather, and together the two had studied Aikido.  When my Grandpa returned to America, he brought what he had learned with him and eventually passed it on to his daughter, who got my Father hooked on it, who in turn insisted that I learn some of the basics.

At least I had a foundation to build off of.  I just needed some polish before Rei would really start teaching me other things.

Grandfather chuckled.  “You see, Rei-chan?  A man really will go to any length to please his woman.  You’ve hooked a good one.”

“Grandfather!” cried out Rei, scandalized and turning an attractive shade of pink.  “Not right now!”  The old coot just cackled.

Mental Note: Ask Raven if the old man’s got some sort of affiliation.  Though I sensed I already knew the answer.

Troublesome.  I got a closet-follower of Raven for a future-Grandfather.

“Sugoi!” came a voice I knew.  Imouto-chan was here, and she brought the entire troop.

“I think that will be enough for today, Zee-kun,” said Grandfather.

Quote:Chapter 5 will feature the showdown we've all been waiting for.
All right! Lum versus Rei, mud-wrestling!

What?

We haven't all been waiting for that showdown?

Quote:Imouto-chan was here,
"Imouto-chan"? Zeke has a little sister?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Or has he gotten closer to one of the other Senshi in a non-romantic way?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Usagi.
Remember that little act in Chapter 2?  It stuck.  Smile

robkelk Wrote:
Quote:Chapter 5 will feature the showdown we've all been waiting for.
All right! Lum versus Rei, mud-wrestling!  
Nooooooot quite...  But the view from the blimp shall be... inspiring. Wink

I've been thinking about the big picture of the story you're putting together, and I'm wondering how a public spectacle (the Oni 'invasion') is going to fit into all the secret plots (the Sailor Senshi, the Whispered, the Jewel Seeds, and whatever else I'm not thinking of).  Heck, it'd seem that Zeke and Lum would become celebrities of a sort after the contest--which would be remarkably inconvenient for all the secret stuff.  I figure you Got A Plan for that one.  If so, then I'd put my faith in the Unspoken Plan Guarantee.
Edit: Oh, and you may wanna tag this post as dskswdyhms, so it comes up on the tag link up top.

Quote:I've been thinking about the big picture of the story you're putting together, and I'm wondering how a public spectacle (the Oni 'invasion') is going to fit into all the secret plots (the Sailor Senshi, the Whispered, the Jewel Seeds, and whatever else I'm not thinking of).
Obviously, the public spectacle is a convenient distraction. "Everybody's watching that kid battle the oni, so let's go get the life energy / Whispered / Lost Logia / whatever now while nobody's watching us."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Nah, what he means is that the spotlight will now and irevocably be upon Zeke and Lum. (The tabloids will have field days forever more - we can possibly make a running gag out of it.)

This means it's going to be awful hard for Zeke's interactions with organizations like MITHRIL, TSAB, and the Senshi to remain secret... at least, unless some other organisation intervenes to keep it that way.

*Behind him, a man dressed in G-Man B&W steps out, wearing sunglasses, and holding a stainless steel rod with a red light at the top.*

"Mr. Darkwood, Section Six would like to speak with you about your interactions with certain aliens."

Naaaaaahhhh.... Wink
STATUS UPDATE
I apologize for the threadcromancy, but it seemed more proper to stick this here than starting a new one.
Well, I've got sufficient material to warrant a chapter, but upon my own editorial self-review I find that some reworking is in order.  Really, it's kinda tough writing romance with a character that you're quite fond of.  If you're not careful it can turn rather OOC.
So I'd say about two weeks to another month until I have this sucker ready for beta.  Sorry about the wait.

blackaeronaut Wrote:So I'd say about two weeks to another month until I have this sucker ready for beta.  Sorry about the wait.
No problem.  You've been doing awesome so far, so if you're no getting a "warm fuzzy" (pun intended) from what you have, then it's time to go back to the drawing board with the parts that aren't working.