Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay, am I the only one surprised...
Okay, am I the only one surprised...
...by the sudden change in look for FF.NET?
And am I the only one who finds it rather cluttered now?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

... huh? I don't see anything different.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Looks the same to me...

I don't see anything different either (on a quick reload of a couple of fics I had open because they're in my to-read list), but my brother mentioned this earlier today, so it's not just you that's seeing it.

Okay, that's weird. It's the link to the newest "Nobody Dies" over in the updates thread -- it goes to a page on "m.fanfiction.net" -- http://m.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/73/ -- instead of "www.fanfiction.net" -- http://www.fanfiction.net...79457/73/NGE_Nobody_Dies -- and any internal link I follow from it both stays on "m.ff.net" and looks stripped down. What is that, some kind of "printer friendly" edition?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

That's the cellphone version of the site.
I thought so as soon as I saw the 'm' prefix, but a quick check of the "m.ff.net" mainpage confirms.

I might just use that one more often. Fewer annoying ads? Yay!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Bob, have you changed browser or installed anything recently? Some apps change the 'version' string on your browser, and that can affect where some sites, like FF.net, send you.

Example:

I installed something on my computer (I think it was a browser plugin Creative labs forced on me) that changed the string to include the word 'update'. Well, some sites saw the "PDA" in that and redirected me to the mobile sites.

It just happened to me too. If you replace the m with www, it goes back to the normal site. I wonder if they're have problem with however the site detects the browser? That might do this. Or, if Blackareonaut copied the link from a mobile device, he might have just forgotten to change it to the normal one. I've nearly made that mistake quite a few times.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

yeah, m.fanfiction.net is the mobile browser version... sometimes it works when www. doesn't, so it's god to keep in mind....

firefox + adblock = no ads! Smile
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

Adblock plug-in no jutsu! Glee!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Also now Safari + adblock = no ads, for Apple has officially allowed it as a add-on extension, however the Safari you get with the iPad still has ads as I think add-on's have yet to be enabled.

Plus Safari has a one-click e-reader emulator if you want to read something that way.

Oh crap! My fault, guys! While out to sea I use the mobile versions of whatever websites I can because it loads faster.  And, naturally, once I read the chapter I quickly copy-pasted that sucker, not realizing I was using the mobile version of the URL.