Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Specialized Fanfic Search Engine
Specialized Fanfic Search Engine
This is pretty cool, although the UI could use a bit of polish. You take a story ID from fanfiction.net and it looks at which other stories are favorited by people that favorited that story, and returns them as search results.
Not sure if it is useful yet but it sounds like it should work in theory.

URL again in case Yuku eats the link: http://fanfictionrecs.net/favs_test.php
----
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

It's an interesting idea.

However, the only time I've ever tried it, I found that it's massively biased towards Naruto and Harry Potter fandoms. Probably due to their sheer size naturally, but still. There's no way to discount stories that are from certain fandoms. It's not a difficult element to add to an SQL query, is it? Also, you get only the FFN summary of the story, which can be rather unhelpful at times. It's a bit like fanfic alta-vista... a search engine sure, but a rather crude one. At the very least, it needs time to build a better index.

I mean, trying with my own fics I like... I don't get much that really interests me. Or in one case, I got my own fanfic in return.

Lately, most of the stuff I've been reading, I've found through TvTropes, or pages like this. One advantage of pages like the fanfic rec thread that it gives you an actual idea what the story is like, from someone who's read it... rather than the short 250-char summary from FFN.

The author did note the bais towards Naruto/HP as a bug, and it is due to where his spiders started crawling. Last I checked he had only indexed the favorites of around three-thousand people. How many FF.net users are there? It should get better as he slowly crawls more of the site, and there is a page to load additional profiles.

Still I think it's an interesting start.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

I never said it wasn't.

The bias isn't down to where the spider's start. I'm guessing it's because those are the most popular fandoms. They're always going to have a strong bias towards them in the results. I'd just like a way to cut some fandoms out of the results, if possible. I know they're still working on it... it's just that a feature like that would be a rather nice one to have.

Never mind their SQL database is starting to belch.