Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Bang chapter 7

Yeah, the EMP didn't bug me. I thought the ghost-Reikas could've been disco-balled sensor pulses, but it wasn't clear and thought the Boomers would eventually notice that all but one of her was behind a reflective surface. I was forgetting that most non-freed combat Boomers aren't terribly bright to begin with, and these are probably even more lobotomized than usual. The shutdown signal sounds like a feature that Yoshida forgot to remove instead of a bug, but unless the K12 is meant to respond to it, "sharing basic technology" shouldn't be enough to make it shut down too. Unless the shutdown signal is an accidental case of Magic-Powered Pseudoscience. Computer people (and, I'm sure, engineers and technicians in general) half-seriously do/have a lot of rituals and handwaving with mystical or arcane trappings. It wouldn't surprise me if some Computer Wizard managed to make a magical "Boomer shutdown field" completely by accident, causing academic computer scientists and technology theorists the world over tear out their hair in anguish.

On an unrelated note, it's something only other players of Magic: the Gathering can really understand, but I briefly misread "Silver Yoshida" as "%7C%7Ctype=+[Sliver]%7C%7Csubtype=+[Sliver]%7C%7Ctext=+[Sliver]Sliver Yoshida" and feared for the safety of the multiverse.

Proginoskes Wrote:On an unrelated note, it's something only other players of Magic: the Gathering can really understand, but I briefly misread "Silver Yoshida" as "%7C%7Ctype=+[Sliver]%7C%7Csubtype=+[Sliver]%7C%7Ctext=+[Sliver]Sliver Yoshida" and feared for the safety of the multiverse.
The one with the "snake-like head"? Yeah, that could be a problem. Fortunately, there's just the one, and slivers aren't really a big deal until there's a bunch running around.
On the other hand, when there are a bunch running around, they are probably one of the scariest things around. There is very little I would trust to reliably deal with a full-blown infestation of slivers.

Heh. Reference is totally lost on viewer, but that's okay.
As for the Silver copy of Yoshida, it was a collection of nanite tech working in tandem. So when the pulse hit it, the brain, which was entirely software, was erased.
The suppression device is a stationary version of the boomer gun Doug encouraged the ADP to start using, once he demonstrated they could be safely used to take down hostile boomers. I figure the device messes with the main power distribution system in the boomers. And since their big physiological advantage is superior myomer musculature technology, you can save on maintenance by putting that in the combat armors as well. The reason why you don't use the possible alternative - hydraulics - out of preference if myomer is available is best demonstrated by any episode of Junkyard Wars involving hydraulic technology. Smile
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Personally, I thought if there was a M:TG reference is was how the Loon Trees turn black mana into green mana.
Proginoskes, K12 suits are basically sad, failed attempts at cargo loaders that some idiot(evil Quincy flunky) decided were combat capable.  Worse they are upgrades for the ADP.  The fact Leon has managed to survive combat in, let alone gotten kills in a K anything suit is an absurd testament to Leon skill.

... was the fact that there was a Heavy-type boomer throwing explosive barrels on the roof of the tower a reference? Because I'm kinda reminded of Donkey Kong >.>

Quote:She allowed herself a half-grin as she considered the kind of defence the building now boasted. It would take a battlearmor unit to punch into Loon Enterprises, now.
Oh Linna, you silly person.  You should know better than to even think something like that.
Quote:I knew before they shot where they were going to fire, and I also knew the safest place to dodge to when they decided to attack. As long as I didn't try to fight the knowledge, I had a clear feel for the entire fight, as it played out.
missing word, (underlined) just after the bombing at Loon Enterprises.
Quote:"How does the same shit happen to the same girl twice?"
John McClane always wondered about that too. 8)
Quote:Lisa grinned and shook her head. You won't believe it. I'm not sure *I* believe it, and I was there."
missing a quotation mark when Lisa starts talking.

Cool. Thanks for the catches. I'll go make a few changes shortly.
The barrel was a reference to Donkey Kong, didn't know if anyone would pick up on it. As for it exploding, I'd already established that Priss was handling perimeter security, and she has great accuracy with those railspike cannons. Plus, it's a simple falling object. Any halfway competent combat computer can calculate the intercept on that. Smile
---

Baty and Ai have stepped way over the line. Madigan, Lisa, and Makoto will drop the hammer on them...hard. It looks like those two are trying to recreate the Servant Factor virus.
Baty made a comment about not knowing how Lisa affects the odds. She skews them royally in her direction. She's been critical in most or all of the battles recently, even when she's not there.
Her appearance rattled Kate and when Quincy made that comment about using her as a lab rat, Kate betrayed Quincy.
Lisa also got the Knights to rescue Doug.
She also identified Mackie's powers so they wouldn't cause the Knight Sabers to freeze in action.
Along with everything Kou mentioned.
With Makoto showing up searching for her, that added another factor and brings IDEC back onto the field and that throws all of Baty and Ai's calculations off because they didn't factor that variable into their equations.
Reminds me of a comic from my younger days a villain had a perfect plan to take over Metropolis and would have suceeded except he didn't take into account that Superman lived in Metropolis. What an idiot. Then again, considering what else he drew as an amatuer artisit......
I have the feeling that Loone Enterprises will get hit with stronger and stroner attakcs, up to and icluding a shot form the particle beam sattelite.  And the people who are trying to shut it down finally go nuts and make a lot of wild plans then and there
This has been a nice addition and glad to see it continued. I hope to see more soon.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

"Any Yoma on this
planet would see them as a genuine threat."
Just like to point out that the Sailor Moon show calls these Youma, for all that Yoma is also technically correct.
____

Heh. Well, those two don't know about the Servant Factor virus, simply because they weren't part of Quincy's "big reveal" at the end there. And any data from that period would have been erased by the EMP caused when Doug pulled a lightning storm into the Tower. But they've always had the same basic concept with the OMS. The only flaw with OMS, is that it doesn't work on humans...
---

Quote:Reminds me of a comic from my younger days a villain had a perfect plan to take over Metropolis and would have suceeded except he didn't take into account that Superman lived in Metropolis. What an idiot. Then again, considering what else he drew as an amatuer artisit......
Its entirely possible that Quincy had also read that exact comic (I think I saw that as a cartoon at one point) and this is yet another intentional blind spot in their programming... remember this version of Quincy took over half the world for the sole reason of being evil enough, to cause the planet and the universe to call him on it hard enough to spam heroes at him until, he died of it.  It took decades, but this mad Xanatos Gambit work on an EPIC level.  This Quincy may have gone directly to hell... but I'm pretty sure it was to a job interview and not the torture chambers.
I personally wouldn't be surprised if the Austrian Knight Sabers franchise had their own version of Ai and Baty to deal with.  I wouldn't be surprised if Quincy set up random villainous idiots to keep popping up and pulling evil plots and easily escapeable death traps for the next 50-100 years.  I'd honestly be surprised, if 'Quincy' didn't end up a heroic, exclamatory, curse word at some point.

Necratoid Wrote:I personally wouldn't be surprised if the Austrian Knight Sabers franchise had their own version of Ai and Baty to deal with.  I wouldn't be surprised if Quincy set up random villainous idiots to keep popping up and pulling evil plots and easily escapeable death traps for the next 50-100 years.  I'd honestly be surprised, if 'Quincy' didn't end up a heroic, exclamatory, curse word at some point.
I believe a lot of those 'villainous idiots' fall under the heading of 'GENOM Executive' Wink

Quote:I personally wouldn't be surprised if the Austrian Knight Sabers franchise had their own version of Ai and Baty to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if Quincy set up random villainous idiots to keep popping up and pulling evil plots and easily escapeable death traps for the next 50-100 years. I'd honestly be surprised, if 'Quincy' didn't end up a heroic, exclamatory, curse word at some point.
You know, I certainly hadn't considered this at the time I was writing DW2, but maybe the tendency for GENOM subsidiaries and divisions to go rogue isn't just bad management, but somehow by design to produce exactly this effect...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Its specifically how Quincy trained his executives... the training program of backstabbing, blackmail, self indulgence, and 'Because I can!' fixation is inherent in the system.  If Kate ever flips out and bans all the executives from 'cartoonish acts of villiany' they'd mentally respond roughly like this: 50 odd percent would be flatout be hemming and hawing... then planning easily escapable death traps.  Between a third and a quarter wold have no clue what she is talking about.  The rest would parse that as 'cartoonish acts of super' being the banned part... not villainy, then picking which of the half would be the easiest to foil the plans of.  Basically, someone gets caught and everyone gets promoted.
Also remember that when a department goes rogue they almost always have secretly developed new technology in order to give themselves an edge... so every time Genome ends up with spiffy new tech to play with.  For instance... Mason made Largo as his trump card.  I'm sure that there are clusters of executives that have had reconstructive surgery, because they got promoted for their revolt/tech upgrades.  I'm also sure that a lot more than Kate became property under the Boomeriod laws.  Being disappeared into a promotion as it were... Kate was just so compitant and high ranked it was a more useful idea to have her borged and not resculpted.  The boomeriod ownership law is why I think Quincy did extra borging in the first place... that and he got a hotie slave girl out of the deal... one that would keep things together on the money side so he could keep handling the fun parts of running the Evil Empire.
Always remember that Qnicy was a power gamer among munchkins that hadn't left character for decades.  If you think about it, the reason they have the 70% human/organic rule is cyberpsychosis.  The reason they had cyberpsychosis was because they released borging tech into the wild years before they got the bugs out of the tech.  Which meant he could make a slave girl race legally.. and when they called that illegal he responded by building a freaking moon base to had slave girls on.  Just following a pattern I could see Genome claiming Mars if the Mon slaves became illegal... then splicing in plant genetics for the sole reason of having green martian slave girls... I wouldn't put it past him to have named a city or an entire martian moon Orion...

Also, it's pretty much number 1 on the habits of highly effective evil geniuses. By having a tangled morass of beuracracy and departments with overlapping responsibilities, you keep your underlings scheming and plotting against each other rather than against you.

Glidergun Wrote:
Proginoskes Wrote:On an unrelated note, it's something only other players of Magic: the Gathering can really understand, but I briefly misread "Silver Yoshida" as "%7C%7Ctype=+[Sliver]%7C%7Csubtype=+[Sliver]%7C%7Ctext=+[Sliver]Sliver Yoshida" and feared for the safety of the multiverse.
The one with the "snake-like head"? Yeah, that could be a problem. Fortunately, there's just the one, and slivers aren't really a big deal until there's a bunch running around.
On the other hand, when there are a bunch running around, they are probably one of the scariest things around. There is very little I would trust to reliably deal with a full-blown infestation of slivers.
The really frightening thing is that slivers, even at their most cunning, have an animal's psyche. One is a pest; if enough of them get together they become kaiju-class, but they're kaiju-class pests: you can still distract them with food or something shiny. Sliver Yoshida would introduce true tool-using intelligence to the Hive, elevating their threat level considerably.

Necratoid Wrote:Personally, I thought if there was a M:TG reference is was how the Loon Trees turn black mana into green mana.
I don't think the Loon Trees filter {B} to {G}; it's more like they suppress and eventually destroy the likes of Contaminated Ground, Noxious Field, and Pooling Venom. Sure, they have some filter and storage capability, but their true purpose is to help Naturalize the world.

Quick overview for those unfamiliar:
Slivers are like purely-biological Borg, except they take the most interesting part of The Rant ("You will be assimilated. Your technological and biological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Your culture will adapt to serve ours. Resistance is futile."), which the Borg themselves ignore and leave out, completely seriously. They also take "assimilate" pretty literally: they can't (barring special circumstances) add you to their ranks directly, so they eat you instead, and any slivers born afterwards will have your abilities (flight, lightning reflexes, the ability to cause splitting headaches, or whatever else) in addition to any the Hive already had. At least, flavour/story wise. In gameplay terms, almost every Sliver card grants buffs or abilities to every other sliver on the field, including those under the control of an opponent. The exceptions are either plain vanilla (they don't give the hive any abilities because they don't have any themselves) or Legends that help you add more Slivers to your side of the field (in one case, possibly by taking them away from your opponent). Depending on the player's style, a sliver deck can be fun and silly or it can turn games into life in the Early Middle Ages; but unless her opponents are specifically prepared to deal with swarm strategy, she will win.

Madiagn should be able to figure the nonsense out. She was there when Quincy made his denoument and knows that Quincy was trying to create a superhero world. She knows full; well what the Servant Factor Virus is and she has the notes from Quincy's old gaming sessions. She has chosen to ally herself to Lisa and try and fix the planet from Quincy's nuttieness. Madigan might go through the various comic books and try to figure out what is going on and mkght set of a Genom branch following the Heroes for Hire model or Damage Control which takes the pressure of the the big heroes anf helps the ADP. She'll probably track down Jeena Maslo to run it. I wonder if C-55 might have come back on line with evreything Largo and Yoshida have done(ADPolice Files manga is where he's from).

Hopefully when Largo was killed, he took both Mason and Armstrong(28 aka the Boomer Messiah) with him.
--------------------

Proginoskes Wrote:
Glidergun Wrote:
The really frightening thing is that slivers, even at their most cunning, have an animal's psyche. One is a pest; if enough of them get together they become kaiju-class, but they're kaiju-class pests: you can still distract them with food or something shiny. Sliver Yoshida would introduce true tool-using intelligence to the Hive, elevating their threat level considerably.
Well, giving slivers intelligence would raise their threat level in the short term, but it would make them less dangerous in the long run. An intelligent being can be negotiated with. The Rathi slivers weren't a big deal, because the Sliver Queen was keeping them in check. The slivers only became civilization-ending threats on Otaria and Time Spiral-era Dominaria, where they didn't have anything more than the instinct to survive and expand guiding them.

ShinDangaioh Wrote:Madiagn should be able to figure the nonsense out. She was there when Quincy made his denoument and knows that Quincy was trying to create a superhero world. She knows full; well what the Servant Factor Virus is and she has the notes from Quincy's old gaming sessions. She has chosen to ally herself to Lisa and try and fix the planet from Quincy's nuttieness. Madigan might go through the various comic books and try to figure out what is going on and mkght set of a Genom branch following the Heroes for Hire model or Damage Control which takes the pressure of the the big heroes anf helps the ADP. She'll probably track down Jeena Maslo to run it. I wonder if C-55 might have come back on line with evreything Largo and Yoshida have done(ADPolice Files manga is where he's from).
Hopefully when Largo was killed, he took both Mason and Armstrong(28 aka the Boomer Messiah) with him.
The real problem is that Madigan is stuck in the shark tank. As has been mentioned in the story, she's the alpha dog now, but all of the other executives are looking for signs of weakness. She's fighting the fracturing of GENOM currently, while trying to fix the company's philosophy. She's very busy with all of that. If she could step back, she might realize that some of the folks gunning for her are showing signs of the melodrama that Quincy demonstrated in the denouement of DW2, but given that they still see her as one of them (rather than the alpha dog), they're still going to be trying to hide things from her.
Ideally, a major housecleaning would be the way to go, but if she does that, Madigan runs the risk of losing a lot of proprietary information when the executives jump ship. In addition, there's lots and lots of skeletons in closets, and GENOM could end up imploding if she reorganized too quickly to inject a sense of responsibility and ethics into the corporation. Her work with Linna, therefore, allows her to demonstrate the value of an ethical work culture. When Loon Enterprises begins making money with their environment reclamation biotech, she will be able to point at that and say, "This is clearly a better business model. We're changing things." with evidence that shows the profit that comes from such a change.  
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

The other fun twist is that if Kate nukes Genome... the economic equivalent of and ice age and a Texas sized meteorite hit at once.  Its entirely possible that would cause the world to end up in a feudal age lead by corporations.  Which would end up with Corrupt ex-Genome executives running things.  Basically, you'd pop the gum bubble by dropping a hundred metaphorical Shadowrun source books on it.  Again Genome is designed by a Munchkin of Munchkins purposefully trying to snarl things up... with 40 years of real time preparatory work.  This will be like making the Alpha Complex coherent with out losing any clones and never getting above yellow.  In short, Kate is going to have to nickle and dime a quintillion dollar dept to death... there is no real solution besides one at least as warp and convoluted as the problem.
Naturalize is green disenchant... Lisa has defensive enchantments tied to the plants.  So no die.  Maybe if it change nonbasic to basic land types it would kind of work... but this is largely a niggling detail to the main plot.

Yes. Kate has a problem. She has to keep Genom going while stopping as many upcomming supervillian masterminds as possible without showing weakness. She wanted to be a superheroine. She is one, but she doesn't know it. She's a Batman analouge to Lisa's Superman analogue.
--------------------

Necratoid Wrote:Naturalize is green disenchant... Lisa has defensive enchantments tied to the plants.  So no die.  Maybe if it change nonbasic to basic land types it would kind of work... but this is largely a niggling detail to the main plot.
Naturalize isn't global enchantment destruction, it's targeted. To continue the MtG analogies, a Devout Witness can destroy all the enchantments you want without disturbing the Floating Shield enchanting it.
*is clearly a gigantic Magic nerd*

ShinDangaioh Wrote:Yes. Kate has a problem. She has to keep Genom going while stopping as many upcomming supervillian masterminds as possible without showing weakness. She wanted to be a superheroine. She is one, but she doesn't know it. She's a Batman analouge to Lisa's Superman analogue.

Mmmmmm... Kate in tights, cape, and cowl... (What? Oh, right.)

This begs the question of when Lisa will meet a Green Lantern analogue, or a Wonder Woman analogue (who would have to be male). Sylia is her Steel analogue, of course.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Mackie is the Green Lantern analouge(specifically John Stewart from the comics). He creates things with his mind, but uses machinery instead of light.

Leon would be a John Harper(Guardian) analouge more or less.

Wonder Woman the warrior who promotes peace: Kilroy takes that one.

Since Lisa looks to be a solitary magical girl, there are already hints that she's going to follow the Honey Kisarigi methodolgy. Lisa intends to create an enchanted motorcyle. She might add enchantments to make it shrink for storage or go invisible to all but her or go into subspace until called.
--------------------

Disruptor, ignoring Jupiter you missed something from earlier... this is still the early stages of the convoluting.of things.  What is about to hit would be like the Boombabies from Static Shock.  Randoms at random getting super powers.  The mages will come in once the ambient magic levels have risen enough to transition random potentials... meaning that while Lisa is the only one now... I doubt she'll avoid getting fangirl knock offs in the future.  A higher chance from anyone that Lisa has saved in person... I wouldn't put it past someone to pull a starlight by sheer ignorance.  Remember Lisa has seen the source material and has access to the instruction manuals.  Until a Batcave/ mage tower is made they are likely to screw up badly.  Some idiot will attempt to go SSJ without a clutch eventually.
Also, I think that borging has taken the place of super soldier serums for not.... So Kate is more Sane Green Goblin/ Corporate Captain America right now.  This doesn't even take into account those that will end up with Squirrel with Too Many Templates Syndrome.  In short don't assign roles too firmly in the opening moves.