Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossovers That Should Not Be: The Fandom Menace

Glidergun Wrote:Courage The Cowardly God
I don't know what it's a crossover with, is the problem. There's too many possible options.
Might I suggest http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=AG2705]this work, for maximum "Should Not Be" effect?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

This one just occurred to me: READ or PIE! After a mysterious occurrence in the Old Capital near Ponyville, bookworm Twilight Sparkle is assigned to investigate, meeting her new partners along the way! That... doesn't actually sound any different from canon MLP so far... which is why I was ashamed not to have thought of it before. The rest is a little harder to fit together, though I bet Rainbow Dash would love dueling the steampunk flying machine for supremacy in the skies, and just imagine the chaos of Pinkie vs. Pinkamena! If not for the VERY different realism levels in the two, I'd have put this in the other thread.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Inspired by the whistling bird in Fresh Videos While You Wait...

SHINJI: My little Eva, My little Eva

BACKUP SINGERS: Ah... My Little Eva

SHINJI: I used to wonder what Angels could be

BACKUP SINGERS: My Little Eva

SHINJI: Until my Father sent that letter to me

KENSUKE: Giant robots!

ASUKA: I'll show Mom

HIKARU: A beautiful heart

TOJI: Faithful and strong

REI: To fill my purpose

TABRIS: It's a free will feat

Instrumentality makes it all complete

ALL: You have My Little Eva

Do you know, you are all made of Tang?

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Now someone has to do a music video of Evangelion to the Megas XLR opening tune. "Chicks dig Giant Robots..."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Something that came up in conversation from the last Doctor Who.

CSI: Gallifrey.

Hey. That one should be.

...unless the general (and sometimes specific) dysfunctionality that is Time Lord society would do more to screw it up than it would do to fuel the overall CSI dynamic, which is possible.

Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:Something that came up in conversation from the last Doctor Who.

CSI: Gallifrey.
The Wanderer Wrote:Hey. That one should be.

...unless the general (and sometimes specific) dysfunctionality that is Time Lord society would do more to screw it up than it would do to fuel the overall CSI dynamic, which is possible.

No, no, no - you're thinking of the wrong CSI. Think of this one instead.
--
Rob Kelk

the archetypical fanfic Ranma tends to dress in a red top and black pants. So, what if that outfit was a little more exotic than plain silks? Say, a red jacket with white ribbing and a few bits of military braid, and pants with a leg stripe... let's not forget the phaser and tricorder clipped to his belt. That's right, it's All-Red-Uniforms Movie Trekkie Ranma! Still pretty good at martial arts, but instead of spouting bad grammar and childish insults, he spouts technobabble and incomprehensible insults, and is always fiddling with electronics, trying to make his tricorder and phaser actually do something besides blink and make tinny beeps and bloops (with only moderate sucess at best.) He can use a Vulcan Neck-Pinch, a Bat'leth or K't'inga!

Okay, yeah, this is too bizzarre. It would be easier to do a crossover with Bugs Bunny cartoons.

- CD
--

ClassicDrogn Wrote:Still pretty good at martial arts, but instead of spouting bad grammar and childish insults, he spouts technobabble and incomprehensible insults, and is always fiddling with electronics, trying to make his tricorder and phaser actually do something besides blink and make tinny beeps and bloops (with only moderate sucess at best.) He can use a Vulcan Neck-Pinch, a Bat'leth or K't'inga!

Okay, yeah, this is too bizzarre. It would be easier to do a crossover with Bugs Bunny cartoons.

- CD
... And now I'm imagining Ranma as a Genius from Genius: the Transgression. The obvious point of Breakthrough is Jusenkyo, and the obvious Catalyst is either Grimm (rage and disgust with the world as it currently is) or Klagen (sorrow and personal tragedy). A Genius's entire outlook becomes coloured by his Catalyst, so those two options can lead to very different stories.

EDIT: have a URL, since I'm on my iPhone and can't remember the link syntax. sites.google.com/site/moochava/genius

Proginoskes Wrote:... And now I'm imagining Ranma as a Genius from Genius: the Transgression. The obvious point of Breakthrough is Jusenkyo, and the obvious Catalyst is either Grimm (rage and disgust with the world as it currently is) or Klagen (sorrow and personal tragedy). A Genius's entire outlook becomes coloured by his Catalyst, so those two options can lead to very different stories.

EDIT: have a URL, since I'm on my iPhone and can't remember the link syntax. sites.google.com/site/moochava/genius
I think it's obvious that Ranma already is a Genius. All of his Miracles come in the form of weird martial arts techniques, and Ranma is Unmada (he thinks his theories are true, and reality changes to match).
It would also explain some of the characters to say that they're Beholden fixated on Ranma.

Hmm. I'd grabbed a copy of G:TT but not actually read through it - I'm on the negative side of indifferent about the Storyteller system and its dice pools, and actively annoyed by the World of Darkness and its grimderp - but poking through it, the entire Anything Goes school of martial arts, and the multitudinous strange branch arts used by various minor characters, looks rather like an offshoot of the Navigators who follow the "Miracles as special maneuvers" paradigm with Lemurian faith in a "higher reality" that makes it all work beyond the normal rules - they are all about kicking reason to the curb and winning by willpower and guts. Warping the game setting around to fit R1/2 probably means the various loosely-connected martial arts communities would at a minimum be a third side in the historical tug-of-war between Lemurians and Peerage, and their universally militaristic and equipment-light bent would mean they're difficult to curb either directly or by control of funding; fortunately since they are also generally focused on either improving themselves or at most outdoing a limited number of rivals they haven't CONQUERED THE WORLD! as the cliche goes.

- CD, Are you MAD!? This thing, this ... crossover of Ranma and WoD, should not be! IT SHOULD NOT BE!! You fool, do you want to destroy us all?

ETA: And I don't think Ranma is unmada, that's the province of Asuza and the Kunos

ETA2: You know, if you look at Fenspace as a setting for this where Mania has somehow been rendered into a physical form, it makes so much sense...
--

Quote:[b]ClassicDrogn wrote:[/b]

That's right, it's All-Red-Uniforms Movie Trekkie Ranma! 
I missed the "Movie" in my first time through that, which brought forth an image of an old-school Trek in which all the red shirt security people are trained in Anything-Goes marital arts.  That would change a few story lines.

----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

There's a fic about that, actually. I can't rmember who or where, but the title is "Redshirts" and it features a Ranma who dies in some way but gets lost in the Celestial Beaureucracy's corridors and ends up in the line where Star Trek redshirts check in before being returned for another go, and even if it was an accident the forms have been filled out, and various parties pass the buck until the administrator in charge of Heroes in the trekverse notices that one fo the security personnel is acting in a way that should be under his jurisdiction and files a complaint, and on like that. It's much funnier than I make it sound, and too short, and now my search has turned up a local copy so I can see if it has link information.

(...)

Ah, there we go. It's http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5025292/1/]The Redshirt Diaries by weebee, who is awesome in general.

- CD
--

Proginoskes Wrote:... And now I'm imagining Ranma as a Genius from Genius: the Transgression.
The obvious point of Breakthrough is Jusenkyo, and the obvious Catalyst
is either Grimm (rage and disgust with the world as it currently is) or
Klagen (sorrow and personal tragedy). A Genius's entire outlook becomes
coloured by his Catalyst, so those two options can lead to very
different stories.

EDIT: have a URL, since I'm on my iPhone and can't remember the link
syntax. sites.google.com/site/moochava/genius
Heh, I
remember that game.  I actually once came up with the idea of Akane
Catalyzing as a Grimm or Neid (Banishment and Jelousy, the typical "I'll show
them ALL!" mad scientist").  For years, Akane trains in martial arts, both out of natural inclination and the desire to protect her family.  By the time the manga starts, she's skilled enough to fight over a dozen boys her own age, at least some of whom are athletes themselves.  She's proud of her skill, and with some reason.  Then Ranma shows up.  He's vastly more skilled than her, easy.  But he won't fight her, and he won't let her fight.  To make it worse, both Soun and Genma explicitly support Ranma's behavior.  In short order, she's soon surrounded by martial artists who are even better than she is, the vast majority of whom are at least vaguely hostile to her.  Ranma feels like he should protect her, but unless she's using some sort of mystical trick that allows Akane to curpstomp him (like the strength increasing noodles, or that magical gi), Ranma won't lay a hand on her even if she screams at him.  And he's the only friendly sparring partner who's around regularly.  With the best of intentions, Soun and Ranma are effectively telling Akane "You're no longer allowed to practice martial arts anymore.  We'll be entrusting your life and your duty to protect your family to this boy, who is way better than you.  We'll still let you train, but we won't help you at all or even spar.  Be a good little princess, okay?"
Remember how much trauma Orihime went through in Bleach's Hueco Mundo arc?  Remember her face when Kiuske told her to stay out of the fighting?  Not pretty, right?  Orihime isn't a warrior by nature.  Akane is, and she's way more angry and insecure than Orihime ever was.  In addition, Aizen/Uliwhatsit and Orihime were clearly enemies.  Ranma's the most considerate boy she's ever met, and Soun is Akane's father.  As for the other characters, Akane is either a enemy, or a prize to be won.  My idea was that Akane realizes that she'll never be recognized as a martial artist because everybody around her has already decided she isn't one, causing her to grow rapidly resentful.  The resentment and jealousy or her peers, combined by with the belief in her own unappreciated worth as a martial artist, is classic Neid.  (Seriously, turn all the characters into scientists and scholars, and then imagine it as the back-story for a female mad scientist.  For bonus points, turn back the clock one or two hundred years.  It's almost cliche!)  Alternatively, she could Catalyze as Grimm from as her anger and frustration at the total lack of control over her own life.

I'd read it. Like watching a train wreck, but I would read it.

- CD
--

ClassicDrogn Wrote:I'd read it. Like watching a train wreck, but I would read it.

- CD
Do you mean a train wreck in the sense of "Destructive mental disintegration and tragedy, eventually resulting in an unhappy end", or train wreck in the sense of "painful to read?"

Akane-centric Ranmafic? That would be a "Yes." One or the other, possibly both, but with an actual semi-original premise I'd still read it.

- CD
--

ClassicDrogn Wrote:Akane-centric Ranmafic? That would be a "Yes." One or the other, possibly both, but with an actual semi-original premise I'd still read it.

- CD
Probably just horrible.  I've toyed with writing an Akane-centric Ranma fic- there's themes I really want to write about, but I don't know if I have the skill to do them well.  I'm not a bad writer, but I'm not a good one either, and Akane's situation is something I feel very strongly about.  Her situation is as bad as Ranma's in some ways, but she gets a lot less sympathy from the fanbase, probably because A) Ranma is the protagonist, and it's generally a shonen series, B) When Akane gives Ranma crap he doesn't deserve, we always know it, and C) It's easy to see how Ranma being shoved into three mutually excuslive marriage contracts and having his father dump responsibility on him is unfair, while teasing out why the unfairness of Akane's situation requires some experience with literary analysis, and at least an introductory  class in Anthropology, Sociology, or Psychology.  I could go on, but you probably get the idea already.
My other story idea in a similar vein (tenatively titled Proxy) was that Akane disguises herself guy and pretends to be her own boyfriend to get Kuno and the hentai horde off her back.  The con continues straight through the start of the manga and continues for quite a while.  The core of the drama would be around Akane's inner conflict; making use of of her male disguise gives her the opportunity to fight ("Hikaru" get's first dibs on protecting Akane, being her freely chosen boyfriend and all) and a buffer against her father's schemes to marry her off.  However, she feels guilty about lying to her family and friends, hates dealing with the stress of keeping multiple identities straight, and feels vaguely guilty about using "Hikaru" as a manipulative tool to get her own way.  Not pretending to Hikaru is easier on her conscience and stress levels, but leaves her with virtually no control over her own life. 

Stolen from 'should be':

The ragtag Galactica fleet limp into Earth orbit, to find.. a joint Zentraedi/Autobot task force handling parking, end up in a series of orbital slots next to a Quarian expeditionary force. Below, a strangely conscripted battle rages, as humans, transformers, zentraedi, and others, battle for dominion of the planet using vicious constructs, stored between battles in quantum resonance stasis chambers. Curious spherical objects, half red, half white, with a thick black dividing line and a single button.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Wiredgeek Wrote:Stolen from 'should be':

The ragtag Galactica fleet limp into Earth orbit, to find.. a joint Zentraedi/Autobot task force handling parking, end up in a series of orbital slots next to a Quarian expeditionary force. Below, a strangely conscripted battle rages, as humans, transformers, zentraedi, and others, battle for dominion of the planet using vicious constructs, stored between battles in quantum resonance stasis chambers. Curious spherical objects, half red, half white, with a thick black dividing line and a single button.
I always wondered where RIFTS|Earth came from...
--
Rob Kelk

A western series set in Dodge City, Cuba: Cigarsmoke, starring Desi Arness.
 -- Joe
                 Hate is the only enemy

Oh, hey Joe! And that is truly groanworthy.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Naruto (Team Gai)/Harlock: Springtime of My Youth in Arcadia

- CD
--

Old thread is old.

New thread is new...
--
Rob Kelk

Jumped the gun on me, Rob. I was going to give it to 299 messages...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.